Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

35/40 or 35/35 is also good if you don't mind giving up one or two ring slots for the +stat rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Know what was a cool mechanic that was severely underused? Mirror Knight summons. I got it to work a handful of times and each was a blast. Dunno how that could be translated though since there aren't summon fights. Maybe come in as a skeleton for Wolnir :ghost:

In my experience as a Mirror Squire, the summon animation for you appearing is so long and the Knight is just standing there doing nothing to put pressure on the host, so 90% of the time, I'd spawn in to a host and two phantoms hammering R1 at me to smash through me the instant I become vulnerable.

A neat idea that was hideously implemented.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

WrightOfWay posted:

35/40 or 35/35 is also good if you don't mind giving up one or two ring slots for the +stat rings.

Hell as a physical I feel the ring slots sans Havel are kind of slim pickings as it is, so sure

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

the pursuer wasn't supposed to be chasing you and his name in japanese has nothing to do with pursuit.

weeaboo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Section Z posted:

Yeah, if you have no spell slots or just one spell slot otherwise occupied then it way, way more valuable than just being willing to spend the FP on Heal Aid.

I'm still using a Chime right now anyways, because while I could buy that 112 default adjust talisman from the firekeeper right now I got this 112 mod chime already, and I'd rather have a cheaper heal just in case than the talisman buff of questionable use unless you want the extra help with lightning spells I don't have.

EDIT: It may take a full minute, but with just 14 Faith, a 112 adjust B chime will heal 360 HP.

I had 12 Faith up until Archdragon Peak(?) and then I popped it to 20 for uh whatever that miracle is that increases attack, defense, and stamina speed. It's great.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Then again after my dex run I will probably do some form of magic for variety purposes, just need a refresher:

Pyromancy - Very good?
Sorcery - poo poo?
Miracles - Slow to start, and then becomes good?
Dark Miracles - ???

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Where do I go if I teleported to the dancer and died right after fighting that other boss? It dumped me back and londo but I want my souls !!!

e: nvm

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 22, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

alf_pogs posted:

okay so here's some stupid lore stuff.

ds3 is the opposite of dark souls 1. instead of running through an old age of fire coming to an end, we're running through an age of dark coming to an end. instead of collecting humanity to maintain our form, we collect embers. humanity is the PC maintaining darkness in an age of fire; embers are them maintaining light. the player character is constantly searching for balance. so this time around instead of being a chosen undead, we're summoned as an unkindled.

the real tell of this is the mighty darksign rising as the dark sun over lothric. the things floating through the sky aren't trees: they're abyssal creatures, similar to those you fight in the abyssal covenant in ds2. men of pus are all over the place, and even the dragons in the area are infected by the influence of the abyss. it'd also explain why there's an entire religion set up to worship 'The Deep', and why the knights of Farron are a weird sort of semi-religion; they're fighting back to maintain order while the abyss keeps creeping in.

the big question for me is: where is the firelink shrine? my guess is that it exists outside the rest of the game's time period, although why i don't know. when you give the firekeeper her eyes back, she talks about seeing an endless age of dark, spotted with tiny enticing flames. the assumption is that she's seeing into a future age of dark, but she may as well be describing lothric as it is.

anyways i don't know. i love this game and i'm very much enjoying the usual nonsense lore mystery times.

Yo this is from ages ago but no. Everything you wrote here is wrong as gently caress.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://fat.gfycat.com/RipeNaturalGodwit.webm
https://zippy.gfycat.com/ZealousVariableIbadanmalimbe.webm
:shepface:

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Are we Hollow, or are we Dancer?
My armor's flowing
It resists cold
Staring at the rear end like it has the answer
Are we Hollow? Or are we Dancer?

quoting this good taste

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

voltcatfish posted:

Then again after my dex run I will probably do some form of magic for variety purposes, just need a refresher:

Pyromancy - Very good?
Sorcery - poo poo?
Dark Miracles - ???

Offensive Miracles now have a gimmick where you need to be close for them to deal full damage. But you can easily slum it just to have access to utility miracles while doing other things. The cure for poison, frost, and build up of bleed only needs 12 faith and is low FP (It doesn't do poo poo for lowering your Curse build up, though :v:). According to the wiki it also removes maggots but, you know, Torch.

It's definitely saved me needing to bother buying purple moss when I'm spending more time on dry land than "Eh I'll just get poisoned again anyways" hip deep in swamp.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Finished with my first (horribly mix-matched of course) character,
now in the process of not really feeling it with the pyro.

Having to split heal/mana flasks and spending titanite on flame AND weapon, with fire damage scaling through stats... lets say i liked him better in DS1 and even 2.
MIght ditch him for a dual-wielder.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I really hope one of the DLC bosses is a PVP boss in some way because they're usually good fun.

instead you are going to get gank squad 3.0 (2.0 was already in the game in grand archives)

now featuring all the knights of gwyn at once

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The Black Knight Sword is so good that it causes me physical pain, are there any other GS which do nearly this much damage? The moveset is cool but the 2hr2 seems kind of crappy.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nuebot posted:

I really hope one of the DLC bosses is a PVP boss in some way because they're usually good fun.

Kinda surprised we didn't get a PVP boss, to be honest. I loved it in Demon's Souls. I dunno if that puts me in the minority but it was a genuinely interesting fight. I only just played DeS about a year ago and it was easy to be picked for the Old Monk (Spoiler just in case?)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think it's just hard to repeat in an interesting way. The novelty made it cool in Demon's, but if you repeat the exact idea then it's just a mandatory pvp fight with a specific build. The squire idea for Mirror Knight was good on paper, but obvious difficult to technically implement and so it fell flat. How many other possibilities would work?

I guess AW could have been interesting if the adds had been player controlled, and when you spawn you are randomly assigned to assist or kill the host?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

The Black Knight Sword is so good that it causes me physical pain, are there any other GS which do nearly this much damage? The moveset is cool but the 2hr2 seems kind of crappy.

I switched from the BKS to the Wolf Knight Greatsword. Better reach and I really like the 2H and arts moveset.

Also, can someone explain why the hell my covenant sign is always blinking by nothing ever happens?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I like that the description on the deep ring implies that the deacons had to be real careful to not go crazy due to how loving disgusting their job actually was. I'm sure if they tried to leave they'd get eaten alive

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The more I think about a magic run the more the idea seems to fall flat actually

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Fereydun posted:

2.0 was already in the game in grand archives

those fuckers give me war flashbacks of trying to invade people in this game

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Any high pyromancers (40/40+ int/fth) wanna use Carthus Flame Arc and post their pyromancy glove stats (damage + spellbuff) and how much it increases your weapons damage.

Trying to figure out the formula but with low numbers it seems to be 82(SpellBuff/100)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If I want to be full DexMan and use Sellsword Twinblades and katanas to the max, what should I put all my points into besides Dex?
Just beat the Cathedral of the Deep. Dex is something like 28, Strength 15, Int 10, everything else is either starting values (Faith, Luck, Attunement) for Mercenary or had the rest of my points put into (Health, Endurance, Vit).
Level 43ish.

I considered incorporating sorcery but it seems too sucky to really get into. I have Spook in case I want to be sneaky or fall from up high, but that's all I use magic for.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Yo this is from ages ago but no. Everything you wrote here is wrong as gently caress.

To elaborate slightly on this, it could not be an ending Age of Dark because the intro tells you that the bell tolls when "the link of Fire is threatened", i.e. when the Age of Fire is in danger of ending - unless you are proposing that it has been a long time between when the Lords of Cinder were raised and your Unkindled character is raised. We know some time has passed because otherwise all those scrubs would still be standing around the graveyard with you, but that the bell is raising you in the stead of the Lords who have abandoned their thrones suggests the Fire is still at "threatened" status.

Also "The Deep" is specifically cited as meaning water, not the Abyss.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This happens with regular bows' weapon art too.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

turtlecrunch posted:

Also "The Deep" is specifically cited as meaning water, not the Abyss.

Though in a super technical way, the deepest part of the ocean is referred to as the abyssal zone, which could cause some people some confusion. That being said, with all the horrifying poo poo going on above water, what the hell did Aldrich see underwater that possessed him to build a massive cathedral? :tinfoil:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This was a pretty easy souls game, the easiest one by a mile

its not because i'm good at souls after playing all of them either, I got my poo poo kicked in from bloodborne all over the place

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
demons souls is way easier

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
People really need to learn that less is more. Most bosses are harder with four people, don't summon three phantoms just because you can!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hamsterlady posted:

People really need to learn that less is more. Most bosses are harder with four people, don't summon three phantoms just because you can!

dancer_grabbing_all_4_players_at_once.mp4

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Though in a super technical way, the deepest part of the ocean is referred to as the abyssal zone, which could cause some people some confusion. That being said, with all the horrifying poo poo going on above water, what the hell did Aldrich see underwater that possessed him to build a massive cathedral? :tinfoil:

Where do you think the corpse of Kos came from in Bloodborne, and why was the church in Bloodborne all based around water and the deep?

Hmmmmmm?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Where do you think the corpse of Kos came from in Bloodborne, and why was the church in Bloodborne all based around water and the deep?

Hmmmmmm?

Dunno, explain it like I've never played it

(I watched it though)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Hmmmmmm?

one of the dlcs better be straight up bloodborne horrorland

let me get kidnapped by the amaldaga or whatever and start loving up beasts and hunters

and maybe get a gun and a chainsaw in the process

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Everyone in this thread but especially the people who played Bloodborne should read At the Mountains of Madness.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Fonzarelli posted:

This was a pretty easy souls game, the easiest one by a mile

its not because i'm good at souls after playing all of them either, I got my poo poo kicked in from bloodborne all over the place
Huh, I think this is the hardest by a mile. I've certainly died more in DS3 than I have in any of the other Souls games.

Specifically, I think the world itself is vastly more lethal than other games, and the mobs give you much less time to recover if you screw up. I'm about halfway through the game, and I have 11 estus charges that each entirely fill up my health bar, so unlike the other games there isn't a tension as I get worn down from mistakes and risk my souls by going deeper into a zone. 20 hours in and not once have I felt nervous about the amount of souls that I've been carrying, because bonfires are plentiful and my life is totally disposable.

The most common outcome is that get twoshot down by a random mob when I screw up a roll and still have like 8 flask charges. It's the speed and aggressiveness of Bloodborne without the health-regain mechanic that made that frantic and fun.

Not really a fan of DS3 so far.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

voltcatfish posted:

Sorcery - poo poo?

Why does everyone say this, I have Dark Souls palsy and I haven't had any problems. Also does this castle ever stop going up, if I climb up another staircase I swear I'll be in space.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dunno, explain it like I've never played it

(I watched it though)

they found an alien in the ocean at a fishing village and started injecting it's blood trying to become immortal and turned into Innsmouth Horrors

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

voltcatfish posted:

Pyromancy - Very good?
Sorcery - poo poo?
Dark Miracles - ???

I did the same -- who-cares-first-character turned accidental dex casul and plowed through the game. Started a pyromancer earlier tonight, killed a few bosses; feels pretty strong so far. I might even keep it honest and leave the pyro hand in the left, forsaking a shield, just so it doesn't turn into another plowfest.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

they found an alien in the ocean at a fishing village and started injecting it's blood trying to become immortal and turned into Innsmouth Horrors

That seems like a very solid strategy that could not backfire and turn you into fishmen in any conceivable way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Samfucius posted:

Ugh, I get the wink wink with the archers and the narrow walkways, but they aren't any fun. Is it viable just to run past them? They were fun in the first one when I played BK halberd and a giant gently caress-off shield, but my current build doesn't really do that. If I could summon help without getting the poo poo kicked out of my by the defending covenant it would be okay, but I am apparently trash in PVP.

If you can get past them once, there's an archway that leads to a gate on the same level as those fireball casting deacons above the sleeping giants, you can use that as a shortcut from that point on (or you know, just bonfire teleport).

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

EvilCornbread posted:

Huh, I think this is the hardest by a mile. I've certainly died more in DS3 than I have in any of the other Souls games.

Specifically, I think the world itself is vastly more lethal than other games, and the mobs give you much less time to recover if you screw up. I'm about halfway through the game, and I have 11 estus charges that each entirely fill up my health bar, so unlike the other games there isn't a tension as I get worn down from mistakes and risk my souls by going deeper into a zone. 20 hours in and not once have I felt nervous about the amount of souls that I've been carrying, because bonfires are plentiful and my life is totally disposable.

The most common outcome is that get twoshot down by a random mob when I screw up a roll and still have like 8 flask charges. It's the speed and aggressiveness of Bloodborne without the health-regain mechanic that made that frantic and fun.

Not really a fan of DS3 so far.

I miss the decisions you had to make about risking souls by pressing on. It just doesn't seem to matter in DS3.

Never played Bloodbourne, but 9/10 times the best strategy in DS3 seems to be to get in first and kill mobs in 2-3 hits. Anything harder, dodge in and stay close, keep dodging, hit em when they do their stop-move and then dodge again. Using estus just seems to get me killed because you you can't dodge. Did I mention dodging? I don't remember DS2 being like that and DS wasn't at all like that. Still, its fun and the vibe is just as good (suffocating I think is the word).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there a lava resistance ring or am I expected to suicide to get the stuff in there?