Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of anything where I had some sort of concern or uncertainty that the two characters identified as The Main Couple in the first chapter wouldn't end up together, even if for the bulk of the story they aren't. Every now and then one might throw you a curve or have a really well-constructed (or annoying and frustrating) love triangle that creates some uncertainty but I don't think anyone in here has ever openly spoiled one like that. The ones mentioned all had pretty well telegraphed couples, even if there was a rival present.

It's not a matter of will they end up with other people. I've read a bunch of stories where they just never end up together at all, because of Circumstances. One super sweet romance concluded with the guy moving to goddamn Canada. I like having the unknown carry dramatic tension throughout the story. Giving me the definitive statement that they'll be a couple at the end completely destroys this tension, and reduces the power of the reading experience. Why is this so weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had edited it into my previous post because I'm phone posting and forgot to make the point I was working towards but it's weird because asking for spoilered titles in a list where the big reveal is "they started dating" is kinda like asking not to spoil the name of a shounen manga where the good guys win. Yeah sure you can pull up some exceptions but considering the fairly relaxed spoiler policy the forum has overall, it's too much.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:siren:Spoiler warning:siren:: in wife & wife the two women love each other and call themselves "wife & wife"

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

lol

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Never change, Richard.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
that's bad advice to give someone.

one should change clothes regularly

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

gmq posted:

I want to read something where the couple ends up together, it happens before the end of the manga, and the manga is actually finished and it was a good ending. Basically, the rarest possible type of manga.

I have read:
- Kare Kano
- Lovely★Complex
- My Love Story!! (not finished but it's great, they are together!)
- Kimi ni Todoke (not finished in real life but in my heart it ended when it was still good)
- Bonnouji

And that's it. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Ha, apparently I asked the same in 2012.

Off of the top of my head, Usotsuki Lily. I'll edit in more as I think of them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

It's not a matter of will they end up with other people. I've read a bunch of stories where they just never end up together at all, because of Circumstances. One super sweet romance concluded with the guy moving to goddamn Canada. I like having the unknown carry dramatic tension throughout the story. Giving me the definitive statement that they'll be a couple at the end completely destroys this tension, and reduces the power of the reading experience. Why is this so weird?

the answer lies in the journey, not in the destination

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

darkgray posted:

The question that was asked was for manga where the couple gets together before the end. No one has spoiled the end of those manga for you; part of the core concept for them is that it's not solely about whether they will get together in the end

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just finished reading My Little Monster. It was good but for some reason the main couple didn't really grab me. I ended up being more interested in what happened with Sasahara and Natsume.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

darkgray posted:

Is it really too much to ask that people spoiler tag these titles?
Yes, actually.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm pretty sure the new Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to gave me diabetes

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Tarezax posted:

I'm pretty sure the new Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to gave me diabetes

Definitely one of my favorite ongoing manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On chapter 42 of march lion and if would be so, so much better without any shogi bullshit. I cannot give a single gently caress about the shogi stuff, but the author does top shelf drama and tragedy. It's just a shame it keeps switching back to shogi nonsense.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think the shogi is okay since it does tie in with plot threads and themes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Master post for the current Itoshi no Nekokke translator
They just put out a new chapter, getting started on Volume 4! I didn't feel like downloading so I haven't read it yet, but it should be out on the usual places soon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Compendium posted:

I think the shogi is okay since it does tie in with plot threads and themes.
Oh it does for sure, but that doesn't really make it any more interesting itself. Generally the moment a move is stated is when I start skipping ahead.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh it does for sure, but that doesn't really make it any more interesting itself. Generally the moment a move is stated is when I start skipping ahead.

I like the shogi bits, but I know what you mean. Especially when there is drama afoot, it's like "aaaaaaaaah I need to know what happens, shogi can wait!"

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The shogi is the best part. You are insane.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is actually the worst part, and you also probably enjoy watching paint dry.

z0glin Warchief posted:

I like the shogi bits, but I know what you mean. Especially when there is drama afoot, it's like "aaaaaaaaah I need to know what happens, shogi can wait!"
I can understand it in the context of its importance in his life, but I cannot give a single poo poo about actually reading fictional characters play shogi or card games or sports.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I love sports manga (well, giant killing and chihayafuru) where I can understand what's going on in the sport bits. Karuta is pretty easy to follow, but shogi is way more complex and less engaging to read about.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I can understand it in the context of its importance in his life, but I cannot give a single poo poo about actually reading fictional characters play shogi or card games or sports.

I mean, good for you? There are plenty of people who do, though, and you're not the only human being on Earth.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Maybe you should find something easier for you to read then while I stuff you into your locker, nerd.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Laughing at the image of shogi jocks in varsity jackets pushing captain invictus around

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, good for you? There are plenty of people who do, though, and you're not the only human being on Earth.
Likewise, friend!

K. Flaps posted:

Maybe you should find something easier for you to read then while I stuff you into your locker, nerd.
There is no need to be upset when I don't like an aspect of a series you enjoy, flaps. :)

I am enjoying March lion quite a bit. I just find the shogi bits terribly uninteresting. It's unfortunate that that bothers you so much. I think the pages wasted on in depth shogi play could be better spent on even more of the superb character interactions and depth.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 24, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Laughing at the image of shogi jocks in varsity jackets pushing captain invictus around

its a funny image

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The shogi stuff in march is really well handled and is an important part of the comic, without it I wouldn't be as interested, because I like learning about new things.

If you're mindfully skipping a part of something I think you shouldn't be posting about it, because obviously a person who is actively disengaging with an important aspect of the work probably has way less of interest to say about it. Of course you wouldn't understand or like shogi if you are not reading the parts of the comic that deal with the main characters motivation in life.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 24, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sharky, you of all people should not be telling people when and about what they should and shouldn't be posting. Seriously.

I'm not saying shogi can't be an aspect of it, and indeed I've read the stuff with Shimada and his agonizing about it because it exhausts him a great deal both mentally and physically, and that is good.

I'm saying that the actual shogi matches are not fun to read for me, like reading a play-by-play of a chess match would not be. Makes me think of that satirical UNO anime comic. If that's your jam, you do you, but I don't enjoy reading about sports/game matches themselves. At least, real world ones. Fantastical absurd ones like Battle Angel Alita's Motorball are a different kettle of fish.

Anyways, last I'll say about arguing whether something warrants posting or not.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Can't you stop whining about shogi in here.

We get it, you're incredibly nerdy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Really wierd personal shot dude, that didn't actually address any part of my post.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Sharky, you of all people should not be telling people when and about what they should and shouldn't be posting. Seriously.

I'm not saying shogi can't be an aspect of it, and indeed I've read the stuff with Shimada and his agonizing about it because it exhausts him a great deal both mentally and physically, and that is good.

I'm saying that the actual shogi matches are not fun to read for me, like reading a play-by-play of a chess match would not be. Makes me think of that satirical UNO anime comic. If that's your jam, you do you, but I don't enjoy reading about sports/game matches themselves. At least, real world ones. Fantastical absurd ones like Battle Angel Alita's Motorball are a different kettle of fish.

Anyways, last I'll say about arguing whether something warrants posting or not.

I didn't read this

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Chas McGill posted:

I love sports manga (well, giant killing and chihayafuru) where I can understand what's going on in the sport bits. Karuta is pretty easy to follow, but shogi is way more complex and less engaging to read about.

Wait they made a sports comic about a sport even worse than japanese slapjack?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shogi is pretty easy. about as easy to understand as chess

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Oh wow, chihayafuru about chess club would have been so much worse.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

shogi is pretty easy. about as easy to understand as chess

I like shogis different rules a lot though, they definitely add some interesting tactical depth.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 24, 2016

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Pavlov posted:

Oh wow, chihayafuru about chess club would have been so much worse.

It wouldn't fit chihayafuru's pacing, but it works a lot of March since it's very introspective and sometimes suffocating.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

It wouldn't fit chihayafuru's pacing, but it works a lot of March since it's very introspective and sometimes suffocating.

This is why I stopped playing chess as a teen. I would frequently run up against the clock (and this is games with 2 hours on each clock) because I would sit there with my hand hovering over a piece for like literally 20 minutes thinking "oh jesus is this going to gently caress things up." Would have given me an ulcer if I had kept playing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Guys. Guys. GUYS.

Takagi-san.

:siren: critical :3: :kimchi: :3: levels :siren:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Somebody started translating Nanashi no Asterism. I've been following the raws and it's pretty good, if painful to wait for updates. Awkward yuri love triangle, but with a pretty upbeat tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Tomo is good, Jun is back in force

Hot drat, i love the author's incredible knack for entertaining pettiness. :stwoon: