Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Upgrading your staff increases the scaling for the Spell Buff stat, but not the base Spell Buff. It's very noticeable... once you're over 50 Intelligence or so :v:

I only have 30 intelligence and even then upgrading my staff up to like +5 saw significant gains in spell buff. You see more the more int you have, obviously, but even at lower levels you still see increases, so if you've got tons of titanite lying around there's no reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Atreiden posted:

Am I the only one fairly disappointed in DS III?
In both DS and DS II, I cared about the lore, I wanted to know more about Artorias, Gwyn and so
on in DS. In DS II, I wanted to know more about Vendrick, what he stole from the giants. The giants them self, Drangleic, Nashandra and the other dark queens. There was so much lore to explore.

DS III feels really empty. The gameplay and dungeons are great, but storywise, there is nothing. It's way too linear and npc quests are easily broken. It's not even hard, you are just forced to consult a walkthrough unless you want to break an npc questline. The lore seems nonexistent and the game tries way to hard to be DS 1. From everything to the dungeon order, to covenants and progression. You start in a graveyard with a simple boss, goes to firelink shrine, then a castle with a dragon on a bridge, a city of undead, a poison swamp and a forrest with pvp covenant and so on.

I'm probably alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeepers and just more and better lore/story.

I don't fully understand the lore yet but I do not take that as "there is no lore". Each of the new Lords has a pronounced backstory, and the areas they reside in are intertwined with them and their fate very closely. I do think the NPC quest triggers and dialogues are pretty dumb because they are so easy to screw up, or the NPCs that erroneously repeat the same dialogue over and over again. I think that some of the callbacks are sort of annoyingly laser-focused, like apparently every mage is related to Big Hat Logan despite Big Hat Logan going crazy in an archive all by himself, with his only apprentice/spy gone hollow. Now he has two new pupils? Okay... People in the Profane Capitol know about him and made a rival school to Vinheim based on study of his magic? Whatever...

Other references or elaborations I like a lot more, like the death of the demons, and of course Aldrich and everything about him. Too bad he doesn't have an interesting phase 2. Oceiros is also one of the best "what the poo poo" fights that also happens to be linked back to DS1.

They really need to ditch these boring rear end firekeepers/heralds/helpful neutral women, as well as some of their other npc archetypes they use over and over again.

Not Patches though. Patches forever.

Lotish posted:

speaking of not in the game, I'm starting to think the same of the Black Knight Greataxe. I tried killing the Greataxe knight in Smouldering Lake so many times (with and without rusted coins) that I gained four levels and all he dropped was multiple pants, shields and gloves.

lol I got this off my first kill of that guy in my last playthrough (I was playing a 30/30 pyro, no room for str).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lightning Lothric Knight Sword gets an S in faith after lightning infusion, as does the dark sword. (Both at +10, no idea for the other levels)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Atreiden posted:

In both DS and DS II, I cared about the lore, I wanted to know more about Artorias, Gwyn and so
on in DS. In DS II, I wanted to know more about Vendrick, what he stole from the giants. The giants them self, Drangleic, Nashandra and the other dark queens. There was so much lore to explore.

DS III feels really empty. The gameplay and dungeons are great, but storywise, there is nothing. It's way too linear and npc quests are easily broken. It's not even hard, you are just forced to consult a walkthrough unless you want to break an npc questline. The lore seems nonexistent and the game tries way to hard to be DS 1. From everything to the dungeon order, to covenants and progression. You start in a graveyard with a simple boss, goes to firelink shrine, then a castle with a dragon on a bridge, a city of undead, a poison swamp and a forrest with pvp covenant and so on.

I'm probably alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeepers and just more and better lore/story.

Yes, you're the only one.

"The lore seems non existent" :lol: are you kidding? There's tons of interesting lore, same as any souls game though you gotta dig in to understand it. There'll be Vaati videos soon detailing all the deep lore of DS3, it definitely exists.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I cannot honestly recommend that anyone go through the game with a FTH-centric build right now. Miracles suck rear end for damage, the buffs are merely okay, there's more than enough Estus to chug to get you through any area, and your weapon enchant is located 2/3rds of the way through the game. I say this as someone who went through DS2 multiple times as a FTH-based character post-nerfs, because at least Heavenly Thunder and Soul Appease did something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'm starting to think From just really loving hates Miracles, honestly.

They're actually pretty good in this, but kinda by the same rules as sorcery: it's backup/support, not your main source of damage. And looking at it like that, I'd much rather have miracles than sorcery in the current DS3 balance.

Once you're at 50+ Faith and have Great Lightning Spear you can do really crazy damage with it point-blank, but its FP cost means that it's never going to be your main source of damage. I'd also say the Lightning infusion is better than sorcery's Crystal one, probably to further reinforce that Faith is about being in melee even if you have spells.

Atreiden posted:

For me, DS2 is heavily hampered by the fact that I just don't like playing it. I don't like how it feels, how things animate, it just doesn't feel gratifying to me the way DS1/3/Bloodborne do.

When it comes to linearity, DS1 was the only one I thought was meaningfully nonlinear. DS2 let you pick which order you did the spokes in, but ultimately I didn't really care all that much--I didn't feel like there was much reason for me to go and explore a different path in DS2 the way there was in DS1 or even Demon's Souls. To be fair, DS3 is notably less linear than Bloodborne, and Bloodborne is still my favorite, so y'know, take my bias into account.

I also can't at all agree that the lore is nonexistent. There's quite a bit there. Aldrich and the Pontiff are fascinating to me, and Ludleth's whole story is great and throws the whole events of DS3 in a very new light. Talk to him after going to Untended Graves and then take a look at the pile of Firekeeper corpses in Firelink and everything starts to get very, very weird. If there's any comparison to another series that makes sense to me here, it's that Dark Souls III is to Metal Gear Solid 2 as Dark Souls is to Metal Gear Solid: DS3 absolutely apes the structure and a lot of the themes and story beats from DS1, but it does so specifically to gently caress with you, and it all falls apart and reveals something very different once you start digging.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 22, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Vermain posted:

No, I agree with you, although it's only slight favoritism. Both games are fun in their own way, but the linearity of DS3 and its heavy reliance on nostalgia and references to the glory days of DS1 doesn't interest me in the least. They also still don't understand how important Oscar was in setting up the player's motivation in DS1, and the game ends up committing the same sin of DS2, where I'm still not sure why the gently caress I'm even bothering with all of this beyond being told "it's really important and your duty, okay cya" once by a Fire Keeper.

yeah exactly. I don't think DS III is a bad game, in fact I think it's great, from a gameply point of view. But as you say, it relies a lot on nostalgia without realising it misses an npc that tells you a story to care about. In DS I it started with Oscar, then framt (or Kathee). In DS II you had the three old firekeepers (and the fourth from the intro video), then the maiden in green to introduce you to a goal, you had npc's that told you of specific areas, like the shop lady that talked about the time the giants crossed the sea. But in DS III there doesn't really seems to be an npc that tells you why you should seek out the lord of cinders or link the fire. Or why a specific area exist.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, you're the only one.

"The lore seems non existent" :lol: are you kidding? There's tons of interesting lore, same as any souls game though you gotta dig in to understand it. There'll be Vaati videos soon detailing all the deep lore of DS3, it definitely exists.

Agree to disagree, like I said, I don't think this is the case, having read everything I found.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 22, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

baka

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Atreiden posted:

yeah exactly. I don't think DS III is a bad game, in fact I think it's great, from a gameply point of view. But as you say, it relies a lot on nostalgia without realising it misses an npc that tells you a story to care about. In DS I it started with Oscar, then framt (or Kathee). In DS II you had the three old firekeepers (and the fourth from the intro video), then the maiden in green to introduce you to a goal, you had npc's that told you of specific areas, like the shop lady that talked about the time the giants crossed the sea. But in DS III there doesn't really seems to be an npc that tells you why you should seek out the lord of cinders or link the fire. Or why a specific area exist.

Umm, that's literally what Ludleth is there for. You need to retrieve the Lords to link the fire, and you need to link the fire to restore the flame and life to the world.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Spoiler for a hidden late game area ahead

Is it just me or is there something oddly unsettling about the Untended Graves as a whole? I don't know what it is exactly but it feels like something more than just the sky being absolutely, 100% pitch black. I think it must be that it takes something so familiar and turns it right on its head. Plus finding stuff like the Fire Keepers Eyes and Broken Sword only adds to it. The cherry being that the only familiar thing is the Handmaiden and she gives you some additionally cryptic dialogue when you speak to her there and slightly different stock as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

When it comes to linearity, DS1 was the only one I thought was meaningfully nonlinear. DS2 let you pick which order you did the spokes in, but ultimately I didn't really care all that much--I didn't feel like there was much reason for me to go and explore a different path in DS2 the way there was in DS1 or even Demon's Souls.

Even then, though, DS2 doesn't let you do that, really. You have to start down the Tower of Flame path, because you can't open the way to Huntsman's Copse until you talk to Licia, you can't get to the Shaded Woods until you have a branch of yore, and you can't survive the drop down to the Grave of Saints without some pretty specific HP investment and several lifegems. Scholar of the First Sin fixes this a little bit by placing a branch of yore much earlier in the game but they still definitely route you through the Lost Bastille path first.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://a.pomf.cat/xibdug.webm

the nameless kings helmet should give you the magic boost instead of the dusk crown so i can truly be goku

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also lol having poo poo connecting to a previous game in the same series isn't "nostalgia" it's a continuation of a story. this felt way more like an actual dark souls 2 (with ds2 being a side story) in terms of the narrative.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Harrow posted:

For me, DS2 is heavily hampered by the fact that I just don't like playing it. I don't like how it feels, how things animate, it just doesn't feel gratifying to me the way DS1/3/Bloodborne do.

Same. There's just something that feels off to me about DS2. I dunno if its a case of they had to gently caress around with the feel of the game to make adaptability useful or if it was a case it being their first game on new tech but I don't like playing DS2 at all. It just feels really floaty and imprecise and when the series is predicated on the controls being super tight it just breaks it for me.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Umm, that's literally what Ludleth is there for. You need to retrieve the Lords to link the fire, and you need to link the fire to restore the flame and life to the world.

Yes but that's the story of every souls game, that's not new. DS I, it was new do to being the first game and had the whole usher in a dark age alternative. DS II had a side story focusing on breaking the curse and the cycle. DS III just tries to be DS I with better graphics

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Atreiden posted:

What? Hawkwood and Ludleth and the Fire Keeper in DS3 tell you just as much as the Emerald Herald did in DS2, if not way more.

Nobody tells you why you should link the fire? :psyduck:

"Knowest thou of our purpose? Five thrones will take five Lords, as kindling for the linking of the Fire. The fast fading Flame must be linked to preserve this world. A re-enactment of the first linking of the fire. So it is, I became a Lord of Cinder. I may be but small, but I will die a colossus." -Ludleth

uhhhhhhhhh

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

What? Hawkwood and Ludleth and the Fire Keeper in DS3 tell you just as much as the Emerald Herald did in DS2, if not way more.

Nobody tells you why you should link the fire? :psyduck:

"Knowest thou of our purpose? Five thrones will take five Lords, as kindling for the linking of the Fire. The fast fading Flame must be linked to preserve this world. A re-enactment of the first linking of the fire. So it is, I became a Lord of Cinder. I may be but small, but I will die a colossus." -Ludleth

uhhhhhhhhh

I wouldn't expect much intelligence from a thread where people need 1000 word google docs to exploit a hard boss fight

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Even then, though, DS2 doesn't let you do that, really. You have to start down the Tower of Flame path, because you can't open the way to Huntsman's Copse until you talk to Licia, you can't get to the Shaded Woods until you have a branch of yore, and you can't survive the drop down to the Grave of Saints without some pretty specific HP investment and several lifegems. Scholar of the First Sin fixes this a little bit by placing a branch of yore much earlier in the game but they still definitely route you through the Lost Bastille path first.

You can easily survive the pit fall even without leveling on most (all?) classes.

Atreiden posted:

Yes but that's the story of every souls game, that's not new. DS I, it was new do to being the first game and had the whole usher in a dark age alternative. DS II had a side story focusing on breaking the curse and the cycle. DS III just tries to be DS I with better graphics

No it doesn't ya dingus. Dark Souls III is very much a greatest Souls hits, drawing heavily from all of the previous games including Demon's and Bloodborne). It's still very much it's own thing, albeit one that is tied heavily to previous games, as a sequel ought to be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can i jump to the ladder that gets me to the item in profaned capital or is it a shortcut i'll find later

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fereydun posted:

https://a.pomf.cat/xibdug.webm

the nameless kings helmet should give you the magic boost instead of the dusk crown so i can truly be goku

I always wished that the Big Hat was the one that gave the magic boost instead of Dusk Crown.

I wonder if there are any bosses that will let you get a Soul Stream off.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tracula posted:

Spoiler for a hidden late game area ahead

Is it just me or is there something oddly unsettling about the Untended Graves as a whole? I don't know what it is exactly but it feels like something more than just the sky being absolutely, 100% pitch black. I think it must be that it takes something so familiar and turns it right on its head. Plus finding stuff like the Fire Keepers Eyes and Broken Sword only adds to it. The cherry being that the only familiar thing is the Handmaiden and she gives you some additionally cryptic dialogue when you speak to her there and slightly different stock as well.

I don't like anything about Lothric Castle or its contents, it's 2spook. I do wish they had done more with the dark masses and dragon-trees, like instead of reusing enemies from High Wall through the whole level they should have started making them mutated at some point, instead of just throwing in a few more masses and calling it a day. e: For a more exact example, it should have gone like Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne.

Now that I'm thinking about this though, there are cathedral knights (as in Cathedral of the Deep) peppered throughout Oceiros's area- were Oceiros and Aldrich buddies then? Is it just SOTFS-style "well what would be fun, oh yeah THESE guys" placement? Usually the enemies of an area are meaningfully chosen and that is the kind of lore puzzle that interests me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wagrid posted:

Same. There's just something that feels off to me about DS2. I dunno if its a case of they had to gently caress around with the feel of the game to make adaptability useful or if it was a case it being their first game on new tech but I don't like playing DS2 at all. It just feels really floaty and imprecise and when the series is predicated on the controls being super tight it just breaks it for me.

I liked DS2 a lot when it first came out but the animations are pretty bad and the hitboxes/enemy tracking are wonky af. DS3 pretty much blows it out of the water in every possible way.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Atreiden posted:

Dark Souls I is not the first game Demon's Souls is the first game and Dark Souls I mines it even more heavily than Dark Souls III mines Dark Souls I. Acting like Dark Souls I is super original is absurd - it isn't. It's great and my favourite, but it isn't original.

Also there are two alternatives to linking the fire both of which are new (Usurp the Fire is different to DS1 Dark Lord, where you rejected the Flame rather than co-opting it) you just loving missed them. Even in the Link the Fire ending it is heavily implied that it hasn't worked and the flame will go out anyway. Your complaint is "I missed all the interesting story stuff, thus there is no story".

Pablo Gigante posted:

I liked DS2 a lot when it first came out but the animations are pretty bad and the hitboxes/enemy tracking are wonky af. DS3 pretty much blows it out of the water in every possible way.

Me too. I was so excited for Dark Souls II and that enthusiasm carried me pretty far into the game but I ultimately just found it to be a slog. I really enjoyed the experience of playing a Souls game at launch (DaS1 was my first Souls and I played it in 2014), but the game itself I really don't like much.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 22, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Harrow posted:

I always wished that the Big Hat was the one that gave the magic boost instead of Dusk Crown.

I wonder if there are any bosses that will let you get a Soul Stream off.

big hat would also be good, though in this game i'm not as much of a fan due to the dumb rear end plague doctor mask it's got

i just wanna be a cool powerful wizard lookin motherfucker

or goku

and you can soul stream a whole lot of bosses but it's not really worth it in terms of how much risk you assume + the damage output vs. time to cast/active casting time.
it's basically just better to constantly be pelting them with crystal soul spears or heavy great magic missiles (like every other enemy in the game) because it's more efficient timewise

but every now and then you can spend 20 episodes powering up and do that. in co-op you get to do it a whole lot
it's extremely fun doing it in co-op with people who have voice chat activated because the reaction to seeing a giant fuckoff beam blast the boss for 1k-3k damage is always great

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 22, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Pablo Gigante posted:

I've gotten nabbed by a few bullshit grab attacks, mostly on mimics and the ones who stab your head over and over in the swamp, but the hitboxes and tracking are one of my favorite changes from DS2 since they actually work now. Does any have gifs of Smelter's hitbox or Havel's tracking in the Dark Diving area because man those were just loving idiotic

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ok. So if I want to use pyromancy as a supplement what does it scale using? Int? Faith?

I'm having a hard time wrapped my head around the magic in this one. Maybe because I haven't read the wikis.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

Ok. So if I want to use pyromancy as a supplement what does it scale using? Int? Faith?

I'm having a hard time wrapped my head around the magic in this one. Maybe because I haven't read the wikis.

Int+Faith quality scaling. The pyromancy flame scales C/C with each.

If you only want it as a supplement, though, you'll be fine with base Int/Faith because Great Chaos Fire Orb has no requirements and high base damage. Or maybe just get like 12/12 for all the pyro buffs/utilities.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Atreiden posted:

I'm alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classesThe same weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeeperstwo covenants worked fine, anything related to Blue was broken, Ratbros was conceptually cool but poorly handled and broke, and Bellbros were literally unregulated chaos, and just more and better lore/story and lore that needed a rerelease to be make sense.

FTFY

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Tried like every fix people were talking about for the white screen of death, and DS3 still won't load at all for me :smith:

Is there a timetable for a patch fixing this issue?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Died 20 times in a row on first boss. Uninstalled. 0/10.

I'm just kidding, won't uninstall, but does anyone have any advice, or links to resources that aren't clickbait sites with enough ads to crash my flash player?

I'm playing a warrior class, and the issue seems to be movement/timing. I try to circle strafe around that rear end in a top hat and pick my spots to attack but you spend so much time not able to control your character (rolling or swinging), I usually get hit with his massive cleaves. Once he goes into ratface mode, it's over.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Harrow posted:

If you only want it as a supplement, though, you'll be fine with base Int/Faith because Great Chaos Fire Orb has no requirements and high base damage. Or maybe just get like 12/12 for all the pyro buffs/utilities.

I think the only thing this wont cover you for is Warmth, which is way less appealing in this one since the Estus Flask is so good.

Toops posted:

I'm just kidding, won't uninstall, but does anyone have any advice, or links to resources that aren't clickbait sites with enough ads to crash my flash player?

I'm playing a warrior class, and the issue seems to be movement/timing. I try to circle strafe around that rear end in a top hat and pick my spots to attack but you spend so much time not able to control your character (rolling or swinging), I usually get hit with his massive cleaves. Once he goes into ratface mode, it's over.

The Fextralife Wiki seems OK this time around. Not great, but certainly not atrocious.

A big thing is timing your roll. You're generally better off rolling into attacks with how invincibility frames work, although this is probably super counter-intuitive if you haven't spent five games getting a feel for it. You can also attack directly out of a roll, which can be super useful if your windows are slight.

A lot of people think the first boss of this is one of the harder opening bosses, so don't panic if you're dying a bunch.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Wagrid posted:

Also there are two alternatives to linking the fire both of which are new (Usurp the Fire is different to DS1 Dark Lord, where you rejected the Flame rather than co-opting it) you just loving missed them. Even in the Link the Fire ending it is heavily implied that it hasn't worked and the flame will go out anyway. Your complaint is "I missed all the interesting story stuff, thus there is no story".

No I didn't, I know the three endings, I just don't find the interesting or satisfying. And I don't think the story in DS III is told particularly well, compared to DS I and II. Sorry we disagree, but I'm a glad of it, that you enjoyed it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Toops posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZbS-2Z1dCk Give his video here a watch, he does a good breakdown of all the classes and whats good to start with, especially for newer players.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wagrid posted:

I think the only thing this wont cover you for is Warmth, which is way less appealing in this one since the Estus Flask is so good.

And if you're going full pyromancer you can just get a talisman and use Great Heal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toops posted:

Just takes practice. This your first souls game? It should be noted that pretty much everybody in this thread died to Taurus Demon 20 times or, well, maybe not Phalanx but Ajudicator or Armor Spider or whatever. I know I sure did. DS3 is going to be especially hard to start with since it kinda assumes you've played the past ones and have lots of experience.

Just take your time and try not to get discouraged.

Whats your equip load at with the warrior armor? May be a decent idea to take some armor off.

Being stuck swinging or rolling and having to keep an eye on your stamina are like, EVERYTHING for souls combat. (And a few others games, like monster hunter) It feels kinda clunky at first but you'll get used to it and then it feels amazing. Just have to un-learn some things you learned for other action games where you're allowed to cancel any move at any time with another.

Basically just gotta learn his timing and know when to dodge. Sometimes you need to doge straight away from him to put distance between you, because his overhead attacks will still hit you after you lose your invincibility from rolling. The swipe attacks though if you're rolling as it passes through you, by the time your iFrames go away the swing will be past you and won't connect, so if he does side swings you don't have to roll away, you can roll into the attack or towards him, and then follow up with attacks while he's recovering.

The phase 2 is pretty tricky (and he's super spooky) but its just kinda a nastier version of the phase 1, just watch the main body for tells and wind-ups and dodge accordingly (but don't pre-dodge too early) and then get hits in when you can, but don't get greedy and try to get too many hits in so you get caught.

Maybe even try a different class, but I wouldn't necessarily.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Atreiden posted:

No I didn't, I know the three endings, I just don't find the interesting or satisfying. And I don't think the story in DS III is told particularly well, compared to DS I and II. Sorry we disagree, but I'm a glad of it, that you enjoyed it.

Not finding them satisfying is a matter of opinion and that's fine if you feel that way; what you said, however, was that the lore was muddled and that you weren't given proper motivation, neither of which is true.

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008

Toops posted:

Once he goes "ratface," I stayed out of his range and waited for him to lunge at me. He lunged, I rolled toward him and stabbed him in the back, got out of his range before he could retaliate, rinse repeat.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I know this is a lil' off topic, but isn't marriage a wonderful thing?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Atreiden posted:

I mean, you literally said "storywise, there is nothing" which isn't the case. Like if you weren't interested that's fine - there have been five of these and it seems perfectly reasonable to be less into it as time goes on but that's not really what you said initially.

Zaphod42 posted:

Just takes practice. This your first souls game? It should be noted that pretty much everybody in this thread died to Taurus Demon 20 times or, well, maybe not Phalanx but Ajudicator or Armor Spider or whatever. I know I sure did. DS3 is going to be especially hard to start with since it kinda assumes you've played the past ones and have lots of experience.

The first time I ever played Dark Souls I quit because the Taurus Demon was too hard and didn't pick it back up for two years. The character I finally beat the game with was like the third or fourth I started.

Everybody is terrible at Souls when they start.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Its early on in the game, but I'm having some issues with the fancy-looking knights in the High Wall. I started as an assassin and the shield-piercer skill of the Estoc just seems worthless because it does so little damage and they counter, and I've lost the kick move. On the other hand, getting a good series of quick stabs can mulch their health if I don't whiff/they block. Is the shield-breaking stance skill for the longsword etc good enough to justify losing the quick stab? Or should I just get good at parries?