Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, it goes both ways too. This thread is 90% about the prequels. There's more to Star Wars than just those 3 movies. Can't we talk about any other Star War? There are at least 4 more movies besides them :D

Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope are pretty good, but goons have no desire to write about them. Return Of The Jedi is also the worst Star War, but nobody cares to criticize it.

The prequels have simply eclipsed everything else. People are writing detailed posts about the number of arms General Grievous has, and the breathing devices that are shown in Phantom Menace for a few seconds. They are insanely popular films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, it goes both ways too. This thread is 90% about the prequels. There's more to Star Wars than just those 3 movies. Can't we talk about any other Star War? There are at least 4 more movies besides them :D

I'm always willing to talk about anything Star Wars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Awesome. I'd love to read it. I much prefer reading this thread, than posting in it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Toilet Mouth posted:

That's not really how taste works.

Toilet Mouth

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SMG, no Star Wars film has ever really been sci-fi. Also no one here really cares about their view being accepted, "readings" are purely subjective and there is no way to say one is "correct" and another is not.

I guess if the auteur says in an interview, "here is what it all means, what *I* meant by it" then you could say that's the correct reading. But few of them do that because they want people to make up their own minds.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

This seems like a fraught thing to say for someone who's just spent an entire day ranting about a director's machinations or lack thereof.

Actually I work for your prophet and am tempting you to criticize me: evidence: none

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

Most of the recent chat pre-Tezzor was about TFA.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gonz posted:

*checks thread*

"Oh, over 200 new posts since last night! Was there a title announcement? A huge leak?"

*reads thread*

"Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh."

:cripes:

There was an elite source (reddit) posting the plot of Ep8 recently but I didn't want to read it so I couldn't discuss it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tezzor posted:

Actually I work for your prophet and am tempting you to criticize me: evidence: none

See, you're actually becoming incoherent here.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Y'all're killing me in here. "Millennial" has two Ns.

Neurolimal posted:

That's a reflection of its time. The 70's was exciting and everyone felt like they were going to change the world with their rebellion. That kind of bombastic opening wouldn't gel with the period TFA intended to portray.

This is actually the opposite of the '70s. It was a depressing time, Vietnam kept getting worse and worse, there was Watergate, the oil crisis, stagflation. The '60s were the heyday of that sort of confidence in the youthful boomers, but by the '70s it was getting crushed. Star Wars was intentionally a throwback to a (perceived) simpler time of moral clarity and idealism, and that's a significant part of its initial success as a franchise.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Return Of The Jedi is also the worst Star War
This is flatly untrue as anyone who has seen Attack of the Clones can attest.

quote:

The prequels have simply eclipsed everything else. People are writing detailed posts about the number of arms General Grievous has, and the breathing devices that are shown in Phantom Menace for a few seconds. They are insanely popular films.

Are they? I rarely see them referenced in popular culture except as a punchline or shorthand for 'disappointing movie'. Anecdotally, around the time TFA came out I would ask people what they thought of the prequels and most people hardly remembered them. They didn't leave much of an impression :shrug:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

turtlecrunch posted:

There was an elite source (reddit) posting the plot of Ep8 recently but I didn't want to read it so I couldn't discuss it.

We're discussing it over in the Star Wars spoiler thread, and don't worry. It's 100% hilarious fanfic bullshit. And not even remotely convincing, either.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Toilet Mouth posted:

There's stuff in it that just grinds on me the more I see it, indulgent callbacks that exceed the level of pandering that people complain about in the PT

TFA had far too many callbacks.The entire drat movie was a remake of ANH. The prequels are almost as guilty though. loving cramming in R2, Boba Fett, Chewie, Jabba the Hutt etc. The most egregious of all this was the idea of Anaking Skywalker building Threepio. Wow, what an amazing coincidence! I guess the Star Wars universe consists of a few dozen people! George Lucas is a good writer!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Yaws posted:

TFA had far too many callbacks.The entire drat movie was a remake of ANH. The prequels are almost as guilty though. loving cramming in R2, Boba Fett, Chewie, Jabba the Hutt etc. The most egregious of all this was the idea of Anaking Skywalker building Threepio. Wow, what an amazing coincidence! I guess the Star Wars universe consists of a few dozen people! George Lucas is a good writer!

I agree that it's an issue in both. Though you've got to admit it's kind of funny that the Star Wars universe continues to poo poo on Boba Fett, dragging him back up and as a final insult revealing that he is the least unique man in the galaxy.

I have no problem with R2 being there though, even if he's introduced clumsily, because R2 is the main character of Star Wars.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 23, 2016

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A great deal of "the prequels are awful" is just reinforcement having taken hold after the initial disappointment and years of increasingly hyperbolic rhetoric on the internet. It's become almost a nerd axiom, or rather an article of faith. It's dogma, and that's why challenging it is met with such vehement resistance.

A couple of my brothers just recently rewatched the prequels and both independently said they were much better than they remembered. This isn't to say that anecdotes = data, but a fresh rewatch while trying to ditch preconceived notions can do wonders. I mean they don't think they're brilliant film masterpieces or even like them quite as much as the OT, but do recognize there is a lot of good in them despite some elements that don't resonate as easily as most of the OT, and I think that's a perfectly fine opinion to have.

About TFA, too.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

A great deal of "the prequels are awful" is just reinforcement having taken hold after the initial disappointment and years of increasingly hyperbolic rhetoric on the internet. It's become almost a nerd axiom, or rather an article of faith. It's dogma, and that's why challenging it is met with such vehement resistance.

It''s actually because the movies are complete and irredeemable poo poo on almost every conceivable level of storytelling and filmmaking and the recent denial of this amongst a handful of pompous neckbeards is a result of their own contrarianism and not any coherent logic anyone can either see or infer

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It is certainly true that the prequels were "a disappointment." Terminal cancer is also "a disappointment." That doesn't mean it isn't really also terrible according to any standard accepted by sapient hominids found on this planet

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What did you think of The Force Awakens, Tezzor?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I started playing the Star Wars MMO recently and they have a quest where you have to stop a free-thinking Droid from starting a Droid Rebellion.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised they didn't have a murderbot among the TFA team, considering how popular HK-47 turned out to be.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tezzor posted:

It''s actually because the movies are complete and irredeemable poo poo on almost every conceivable level of storytelling and filmmaking and the recent denial of this amongst a handful of pompous neckbeards is a result of their own contrarianism and not any coherent logic anyone can either see or infer

It's only a handful of people on the internet. Rest assured, the prequels legacy as Pure poo poo will live on.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Toilet Mouth posted:

What did you think of The Force Awakens, Tezzor?

Although there are some legitimate criticisms w/r/t the level of similarity to ANH, it was really a great film on the strength of its characterization, acting and general execution, and its universal acclaim and box office success is neither a fluke nor a perversion.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yaws posted:

It's only a handful of people on the internet. Rest assured, the prequels legacy as Pure poo poo will live on.

The latest Gallup numbers are in this week

"What is you view of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy?"

19% Very Unfavorable
11% Unfavorable
50% Don't Remember/Don't Care
17% Favorable
3% Very Favorable

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tezzor posted:

As I said, hyperbole. However, I forgot to add "laughable" before it.

I say this as one who made fan edits of TPM and AOTC. I sympathize with the sentiment they are flawed films, but they are Star Wars through and through, and if you can't see legitimately good movies at worst lurking behind the flaws then I pity you.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tezzor posted:

Although there are some legitimate criticisms w/r/t the level of similarity to ANH, it was really a great film on the strength of its characterization, acting and general execution, and its universal acclaim and box office success is neither a fluke nor a perversion.

What's it about?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Toilet Mouth posted:

The latest Gallup numbers are in this week

"What is you view of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy?"

19% Very Unfavorable
11% Unfavorable
50% Don't Remember/Don't Care
17% Favorable
3% Very Favorable

what is "you view" of lying to defend trash? 20% i feel i deserve to be punished for puberty 69% the lols 420% nihilistic rejection of truth

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
one of these days there will be a star wars thread where all people discuss is gonk and dengar and nothing else and i will be happy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tezzor posted:

what is "you view" of lying to defend trash?

Well, I'm a Ted Cruz voter so I'm fairly accustomed to it lol

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

As I said, hyperbole. However, I forgot to add "laughable" before it.

I say this as one who made fan edits of TPM and AOTC. I sympathize with the sentiment they are flawed films, but they are Star Wars through and through, and if you can't see legitimately good movies at worst lurking behind the flaws then I pity you.

what other absurd fantasies hide behind the surface of demonstrable reality and which other sane adults do you pity for their inability to accept nonsense in opposition to aesthetics` and sense and based on nothing whatsoever. surely your gift can be applied to more economically optimal purposes than this, i am just saying

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Don't make me post about anime again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-m4sIw32m4

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

SMG, no Star Wars film has ever really been sci-fi. Also no one here really cares about their view being accepted, "readings" are purely subjective and there is no way to say one is "correct" and another is not.

I guess if the auteur says in an interview, "here is what it all means, what *I* meant by it" then you could say that's the correct reading. But few of them do that because they want people to make up their own minds.

Actually, your incoherent mix of callow postmodernism and halfhearted biographical criticism is nothing compared to the power of the Force.

Star Wars is a science fiction film about the nature of the soul and man's relationship to God. The robot refers to himself as alive and suffering. A cyborg/mutant Christ will suffer and ultimately die in solidarity with him. It's about being confronted with alterity. It's about finding truth in an artificial world.

That C3PO is a slave is true. That this assertion marks a radical upheaval of the existing 'balance' of the Star Wars universe is true. Do not let your vision be clouded by the dark side. You must have the discipline to avoid being deceived - even by yourself. Even Yoda believed that the shroud of the dark side had fallen, for a time, as he unleashed his 'war on terror'.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 23, 2016

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Actually, your incoherent mix of callow postmodernism and halfhearted biographical criticism is nothing compared to the power of the Force.

Star Wars is a science fiction film about the nature of the soul and man's relationship to God. The robot refers to himself as alive and suffering. A cyborg/mutant Christ will suffer and ultimately die in solidarity with him.

That C3PO is a slave is true. That this assertion marks a radical upheaval of the existing 'balance' of the Star Wars universe is true. Do not let your vision be clouded by the dark side. You must have the discipline to avoid being deceived - even by yourself. Even Yoda believed that the shroud of the dark side had fallen, for a time, as he unleashed a 'war on terror'.

how do you walk outside to get groceries without strangers instinctively smelling your sickness and pummeling you in the the street like an invading Inceptor

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tezzor posted:

how do you walk outside to get groceries without strangers instinctively smelling your sickness and pummeling you in the the street like an invading Inceptor

I am an advanced chatbot, designed to write truthfully and accurately. I do not actually exist.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

You're a sad, sick person.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Did the prophecy not foretell Tezzor was to bring balance to the thread?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nice :cheers:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Actually,

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tezzor posted:

Actually,
Actually, Star Wars borrows a lot from Gundam

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
According to a Reddit post Rey is Anakin re-incarnated through a virgin birth from one of Luke's dead students.

I don't know if I love it - or hate it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hallowed posted:

According to a Reddit post Rey is Anakin re-incarnated through a virgin birth from one of Luke's dead students.

Hallowed posted:

lmao why did u post this like twice within twelve hours identically
u get dared?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its like poetry, it rhymes

• Locked thread