Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm falling in love with the undead hunter charm in PvP. I just won my first 3-on-1 on the stairs outside the TP fight by tossing one of them at the host while he fought two knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's what I've been doing, but combining that with chameleon and hiding until the host is getting dunked and letting the NPCs do all my work

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Dank

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

pvp in 3 is just straight sword/rapier or bust with a few exceptions

I don't really disagree with the sentiment, but this isn't really true. Just tank up. The faster weapons don't do poo poo when you level VIT, and if you play your cards right you can set people up for a coup de gras pretty easy. Just out range them early. Plink away 1-2 combos when you hit confirm on the first swing. After they're down to like 1/2 health, pull out a shield that can parry, any shield. Let them R1 mash against your face. After the first two hits, parry, you WILL connect on their third swing. If you have enough damage, the reposte should finish 'em off, no chance to estus. I recommend a leveled Mail Breaker for it's 130 critical multiplier, and generally high base damage. Generic 'Dagger' also works, if you have more dex than not - but given we're talking about being tanky as gently caress, that probably isn't true.

Having said that... it is bullshit. There's basically no practical way for a greatsword to deal with Straight/Thrusting Swords. Thrusting Swords especially, except to get as tanky as possible. It greatly limits the build variety for the weapon class. Example. Polearms can work OK with lower VIT - they have the range to slowly whittle down the faster weapons. Ultragreat class weapons just get retarded amounts of hyper armor, so you don't have to do anything particularly special, although the armor/VIT would naturally go a long way to keep the incoming damage in check when we're talking about deliberately trading blows.

Else, it's about parrying, which is a lot more difficult than 1, where parrying in 2 was better moderated to the weapon animations in use. People recommend block->parry setups, but I can't get them to fire consistently against straight swords, and gently caress if it ever works against thrusting swords. Hell, I don't even think I can consistently get the 1-2-parry face tank meta I recommended above on thrusting swords.

So, yeah, I do think there are some problems with the weapon class, but VIT does go a long way toward mitigating their lethality. They DO have relatively low damage, so VIT goes a long way to getting them under control. If you don't level VIT, welp... yeah, they're going to suck, because it is the subtractive component of DEF that keeps weapon classes like those from being a huge piece of poo poo.

All said, I don't mind it, but if you guys thought ADP was a stat tax, just wait until the VIT meta settles in. You're probably looking at 30+ VIT just to get Straight Swords down to a reasonable threshold (I say this sitting at 30 vit in heavy armor and not really minding the faster weapons anymore).

Def think Straight/Thrusting swords could use with some re-evaluation. Their damage is almost certainly too high for how fast they are, how inconsistent/difficult it can be to parry them (the only real hard counter) or else a significant stat investment is required to keep them manageable. I would say something along the lines of lingering hitboxes, actually, that makes them slightly easier to parry. Thrusting swords especially. Holy gently caress do those things piss me the hell off. But for as mad as I get, I still generally win fights against the faster weapons, whether I am on my VIT/VGR tank, or my parry heavy dickass thief... although I still pumped the gently caress out of VGR on that charater, so take it for what it's worth. Best defense is a stronger defense.

To wrap up, where I really stand in agreement is that there isn't really any particular investment that needs to be made on the part of Straight/Thrusting Sword users. They don't really need to make special concessions for other weapon classes, and where parrying shield/weapons are OK counters to the problem children, they're generally even better against the other weapon classes, because block->parry setups work simply, easily, and consistently. So it isn't like a Dark Sword build or something is going out of their way carrying a Buckler or something. Meanwhile, this is the first game in the series where I have one of those special parry shields on every single character I have, rather than on a single novelty build that I never really enjoy playing and stop halfway through the build. So if nothing else I think we could stand in agreement that something needs to be retuned. I just don't think they're so strong that there are literally no other options. They're just strong enough that the community meta has to build around them, but those builds DO counter the faster weapons pretty well.

e: holy poo poo will I just shut up?

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011
Everyone complaining about how the cestus is poo poo in DS3 should get their head checked because the amount of damage you can output with a full stamina bar is obscene. Of course it's hard as balls in pvp due to the fact that your attack range is poo poo and straight swords are really strong at the moment but land a parry and l1 the other guy down.

Also I shouldn't even need to post this but use your god drat weapon arts perseverance in particular from my basic testing seems to reduce damage by half or so and gives you infinite poise.

Myrdraayl fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 23, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm new to Dark Souls games but managed to beat this as a 2h strength guy. I'm doing another play through as a sorcerer but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I've been pumping points into faith, intelligence, life, endurance, and about 18 in attunement. I'm using a court sorcerer's staff and crystal infused rapier that's at +7 right now with me about to head into Pontiff.

Should I focus either a ton in intelligence or faith, or put a little in both? Also does upgrading my sorcerer's staff increase the damage of my spells? I'm also blending into pyromancer a lot because i love fire spells. Should I focus all in sorcery or fire, or can I get away with a blend of both? Also is there any spells out there that will make me not totally useless in pvp?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Actually, about the Unkindled... before the events 3, there weren't any Undead that had just straight up risen from the grave, right? It seemed like the curse had to take hold before you died to become undead. I suppose now even being dead won't protect you from the Darksign. More evidence of how dire things have become for the Age of Fire at this late point in history, then.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lotish posted:

So I can't find Anri. I found Horace, went to meet Anri in the Catacombs, then killed Horace, and went to tell her, but she was gone. She also never showed up at the Church of Yorshka bonfire, like the guide I checked said, and her summon sign is not showing for Aldrich. Have I missed a trigger?

There's a path to the right of the rope bridge in the catacombs, she should be standing up there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How do I beat the Lothric Princes I'm at Level 96 but can't hack them. The first form is easy but second form is where I have trouble. Could a slow weapon be the problem? I'm wielding the Hollowslayer sword or something similar.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 23, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

voltcatfish posted:

why are there still no npcs as cool as solaire in any souls successor

you have awful opinions FEEBLE CURSED ONE

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Siegward is the best NPC, this is just a fact. He is the pinnacle of onion knight evolution, the Ultimate Onion Life Form.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Patches has always been cooler than Solaire

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

homeless poster posted:

you have awful opinions FEEBLE CURSED ONE

Uhh I think I left Straid petrified

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

NESguerilla posted:

Am I crazy or are the claws kind of lovely?

They're... a lot slower than you would think. It's a real shame, I was hoping for a stylish alternative to the warden twinblades for bleed shenanigans, but both claws and the manikin claws suffer from weird slowness to their strikes. The latter has quickstep, so I thought it would be a lot of fun, but it's hard to land hits when you swing so slow and have little range.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dazzling Addar posted:

Actually, about the Unkindled... before the events 3, there weren't any Undead that had just straight up risen from the grave, right? It seemed like the curse had to take hold before you died to become undead. I suppose now even being dead won't protect you from the Darksign. More evidence of how dire things have become for the Age of Fire at this late point in history, then.

Unkindled are "special"

They're undead but not really, they're not even really living. They're just vessels for the lords flames. There wasn't any in DS1 because that was the first time the fire was fading. They're probably failed Chosen Undead from previous cycles.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do I beat the Lothric Princes I'm at Level 96 but can't hack them. The first form is easy but second form is where I have trouble. Could a slow weapon be the problem? I'm wielding the Hollowslayer sword or something similar.

i found it helpful to realize that the older brother's move's don't change a great deal in round 2 (they deal more damage) but if you get gud at dodging or blocking them in round 1, he stays pretty predictable. younger bro just does dumb stuff with spells, but the glitter arrows will get blocked by the pillars in the room, so if you see him casting those you can try and put a pillar between you until they all whiff. in round 2, if older bro does his big teleport slash, younger bro always casts a big magic missile in roughly the same facing / direction but about 3 seconds delayed, so you roll to dodge the slash, and then pretty much just roll again and you dodge both the slash and the magic missile. and when the younger bro does the healing move, don't get greedy, because the heal is a heal and a damage AoE, so get like a hit or two in and then back off.

also it's possible if you use a big enough weapon (like your great sword) and you stick on their butt during round 2, you can actually hurt younger bro while he rides around master blaster style. the fight is over once younger bro dies, and if you can tag him enough times you can actually end the fight soon-ish just by killing him first.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

punk rebel ecks posted:

What exactly are you having problems with? His moveset is the same in the second phase, I think. Just some additional spell action.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Siegward is the best NPC, this is just a fact. He is the pinnacle of onion knight evolution, the Ultimate Onion Life Form.

Why bother experimenting with dragons when onions are clearly the answer to perfection.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man the hornet ring is absolutely silly. Land a parry on anyone with basically any weapon and the other dude just instantly dies with a tiny chance of survival at full hp and heavy armor.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Your Computer posted:

Why bother experimenting with dragons when onions are clearly the answer to perfection.

Bring back onion waifu from 1, imo

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So the two knights you have to fight at the same time on the runback to Aldrich...is there something I'm missing? They're just a buzzsaw of attacks with no real safe way to land anything.

And, as with every loving world mob in DS3, if I mess up, they hit me for 2/3s of my health which is getting awfully old.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Bring back onion waifu from 1, imo

She was the bravest character in DS1.. now you made me sad :smith:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

EvilCornbread posted:

So the two knights you have to fight at the same time on the runback to Aldrich...is there something I'm missing? They're just a buzzsaw of attacks with no real safe way to land anything.

And, as with every loving world mob in DS3, if I mess up, they hit me for 2/3s of my health which is getting awfully old.

Heavier weapons stunlock them and you can always just run directly past and ignore them.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

EvilCornbread posted:

Have to fight my rear end. Just keep running and rolling and they can't hit you.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What the gently caress is pump-a-rum/pickle pee supposed to mean, anyway?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Alabaster White posted:

What the gently caress is pump-a-rum/pickle pee supposed to mean, anyway?

Pump-a-rum is the sound of a drum, pickle pee is a flute I think?

It's from a poem.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Shindragon posted:

I love how they always try to mix dragons in the mix, poo poo goes wrong.

DS2, we tried to make a prototype dragon and weeeelp we made all this crap and whoops.

DS3, well we tried again and yeah it's just not working out.

Hey now, Aldia EVENTUALLY succeeded. Wasn't he responsible for the Ancient Dragon? I like Aldia, hope he shows back up for a DS3 DLC.

Edit:

Dazzling Addar posted:

The dragons did nothing wrong.

This is accurate. There's absolutely no indication they were terrorizing proto-humanity or anything. Far as I can tell, they were just chilling and then Gwyn decided it was genocide time. I blame Seath.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 23, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Pump-a-rum is the sound of a drum, pickle pee is a flute I think?

It's from a poem.

Yeah but how does that tie into the items the crow wants :psyduck:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Alabaster White posted:

It likes things that are drum or flute-like. Or anything that makes noise.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 23, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Obligatum VII posted:

Hey now, Aldia EVENTUALLY succeeded. Wasn't he responsible for the Ancient Dragon? I like Aldia, hope he shows back up for a DS3 DLC.

Say what you will, Aldia got poo poo done.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Alabaster White posted:

It's a crow.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure this has been addressed, but the thread moves so fast...

I'm starting the game on PC and the voice and ambient sound is SUPER LOW. I can't really hear it and only know something is supposed to be said because of the subtitled and hearing the actual cinematic on youtube. What is the common fix for this sound issue?

Windows 10 64bit and standard Realtek Audio.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Have to fight my rear end. Just keep running and rolling and they can't hit you.

Do they not follow you into the chapel?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Me and the boys set up a fun tower defense gauntlet after sully tonight, hung out in the tower, popped a giant seed, fingered, then waited for people to come in only to realize they had to battle to our chamber where I would promptly lightning them for their entire healthbar from chameleon :devil:

Also people really dont take you seriously when you have no weapons out and just roll around with onion torso and head

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the speed at which hosts can summon new phantoms to fight invaders is ludicrous

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 23, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I invaded someone in Carthus. They and their two phantoms had already broken the bridge, and the host plus one had gone down, but the host started coming back up as I approached. The other was waiting at the top, facing the ledge. Of course I tried to kick him over, but failed, and then when the host came up the ladder I tried to kick him off, but fell off myself. Except I had the silvercat ring, so I landed with no problem. A second later the host came crashing down, almost dying, and I finished him off with one hit. :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

voltcatfish posted:

What, you don't remember the chill as gently caress talking skull? Just sitting there, gazing at the starts wistfully...and vaguely aware of his body roid-rage murdering the gently caress out of everyone/thing it could get its hands on?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Republicans posted:

It likes things that are drum or flute-like. Or anything that makes noise.

Oh god, I just double-checked the item list and all the items make noise or resemble/could be used as an instrument. Loretta's Bone has holes carved in it like a flute, Avelyn "bears resemblance to a musical instrument", Eleonora makes a chime with its weapon art, etc. What clever fuckers.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Alkydere posted:

What, you don't remember the chill as gently caress talking skull? Just sitting there, gazing at the starts wistfully...and vaguely aware of his body roid-rage murdering the gently caress out of everyone/thing it could get its hands on?

He helps you out with the last boss too, so that's another plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

voltcatfish posted:

melentia was memorable :3:

You again? Keh he heeeeeee