Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Those aren't mutually exclusive. Raw just means without normals that combo into it.

I wouldn't call an anti air shoryuken raw. If you're punishing a whiff, I wouldn't call that raw, either, as you're in a more or less guaranteed situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The reason I'm talking about this is because Cr. MP in that particular scenario gets rid of timing issues. Since you're +19 after a backthrow and dash forward is 17 frames you're on +2 going in. Since Cr. MP has a 5 frame startup you'll stuff any 3f jabs that come out where St. MP is vulnerable to them since it has a 6f startup.

I'm just looking to figure out if there's anything significant I can combo to from there, but it just looks like going for the target combo or Cr. MP -> LP elbow is the way to go.

That's not a true meaty situation then, there's no way to get extra advantage unless you time the active frames to hit as they wake up. cr.mp will still give a counterhit if they press a button and can link into itself then, but if they just block or take the normal hit yeah I don't think there's anything special you can do. That's honestly good enough if you've got jab happy dudes, and you can always go back to st.mp for better block advantage if you know they have a 4f jab.

edit you've probably seen this but dandyj made a vid a while back about that exact backthrow situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPs7pLn6fc&t=160s

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 22, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of meaties - what are some actual good options to catch an opponent with on wakeup when I'm playing as Vega? Right now I really don't have a ton other than his overhead medium kick or his spinning blade from deceptively far away.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of meaties - what are some actual good options to catch an opponent with on wakeup when I'm playing as Vega? Right now I really don't have a ton other than his overhead medium kick or his spinning blade from deceptively far away.

cr.mk or st.mk is pretty good, you can also combo from those. Also there are a ton of meaty setups you can do after a knockdown.
Like, the two I found earlier today are after an EX.Roll you can either dash forward - whiff st.lk - st.hp or dash forward x2 - cr.mk (I hope I remembered those right). Setups like that are great for when your opponent loves to mash jabs on wakeup.

EDIT: Speaking of st.hp. If you can catch them pressing a button with a clawless st.hp you can do the coolest Vega combo.
CH (clawless) st.hp - stance switch - (claw) st.hp - stance switch - cr.mp - EX.Roll or EX.FBA or CA.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 23, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

cr.mk or st.mk is pretty good, you can also combo from those. Also there are a ton of meaty setups you can do after a knockdown.
Like, the two I found earlier today are after an EX.Roll you can either dash forward - whiff st.lk - st.hp or dash forward x2 - cr.mk (I hope I remembered those right). Setups like that are great for when your opponent loves to mash jabs on wakeup.

EDIT: Speaking of st.hp. If you can catch them pressing a button with a clawless st.hp you can do the coolest Vega combo.
CH (clawless) st.hp - stance switch - (claw) st.hp - stance switch - st.mp - st.hk - VS or EX.FBA or CA(?).

how are you getting that to work?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

so no capcom pro talk this week?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Possibly my favorite thing to do against bad players is to get a hard knockdown, FBA into Izuna Drop right as they get up to get another knock down, keep doing it. I'm pretty sure I've taken people down at least half their health just Izuna Dropping them on wakeup over and over. Isn't worth poo poo against anyone who knows how to fight Vega, but highly entertaining against those that don't.

I just did that against some Alex.
It was a perfect round and then the other player rage quit disconnected.

You cannot know how self satisfied I feel at the moment due to that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so no capcom pro talk this week?

miek ross and floe got locked out of the studio and couldn't do it because nobody told the crew to show up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

how are you getting that to work?

I'm not. I think I mixed that up with something else when I wrote that.
The real combo is: CH (clawless) st.hp - stance switch - (claw) st.hp - stance switch - cr.mp - EX.Roll or EX.FBA or CA.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

miek ross and floe got locked out of the studio and couldn't do it because nobody told the crew to show up

yeah i saw that, was hoping they'd get it in the next day

guess PAX took that time up though, Miek said they're doing it next week

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hPF51ZXRA&t=327s
I'm not a NuckleDu fan but drat, seeing Marn getting the taste of his own medicine is hella satisfying.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not. I think I mixed that up with something else when I wrote that.
The real combo is: CH (clawless) st.hp - stance switch - (claw) st.hp - stance switch - cr.mp - EX.Roll or EX.FBA or CA.

Yeah, that works.

If you're trying to get a target combo from stance switch, you have to start with CH st. HP > switch > cr. mk>target combo> EX FBA or V skill or CA or Vtrigger>CA

If you're concerned about distance, you can omit the cr. mk and go straight into target combo.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

A.o.D. posted:

I wouldn't call an anti air shoryuken raw. If you're punishing a whiff, I wouldn't call that raw, either, as you're in a more or less guaranteed situation.

It's really hard to give players trying to learn a hard and fast set rule for what to do/ what to never do

I feel like its much better advice to say, don't do poo poo that can be easily punished multiple times when it's clear that the person knows whats going on.

than

never do x thing. Because it'd be a pretty semantic at best argument as to figuring out say when a shoto threw out something as a 'read' or as something to toss out there because 'hey it beats other stuff I guess so I'll try it here, or whether you're testing what you can get away with because you aren't playing for money.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SectumSempra posted:

It's really hard to give players trying to learn a hard and fast set rule for what to do/ what to never do

I feel like its much better advice to say, don't do poo poo that can be easily punished multiple times when it's clear that the person knows whats going on.

than

never do x thing. Because it'd be a pretty semantic at best argument as to figuring out say when a shoto threw out something as a 'read' or as something to toss out there because 'hey it beats other stuff I guess so I'll try it here, or whether you're testing what you can get away with because you aren't playing for money.

Stop jumping.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Possibly my favorite thing to do against bad players is to get a hard knockdown, FBA into Izuna Drop right as they get up to get another knock down, keep doing it. I'm pretty sure I've taken people down at least half their health just Izuna Dropping them on wakeup over and over. Isn't worth poo poo against anyone who knows how to fight Vega, but highly entertaining against those that don't.

You'd like this little game called Super Turbo.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Dias posted:

Stop jumping.

stop jumping is very different from never use x attack.

but i agree

stop jumping

also

start blocking

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dias posted:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

the fundamentals of get hosed I'm vega

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dias posted:

the fundamentals of get hosed I'm vega

yessssssssssssssss

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
claw is an honorable and fair fighter in Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hPF51ZXRA&t=327s
I'm not a NuckleDu fan but drat, seeing Marn getting the taste of his own medicine is hella satisfying.
This will forever not be my favorite Marn video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtzA8deLcI

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought a TE2+ and SFV got 500 times more fun A+ would buy again. Plus I can play MAME shmups and Neo Geo games better.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Voodoo posted:

This will forever not be my favorite Marn video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtzA8deLcI

Same but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9caTktglhUI

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I bought a TE2+ and SFV got 500 times more fun A+ would buy again. Plus I can play MAME shmups and Neo Geo games better.

yeah sticks are cool as loving hell

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

speaking of, i got gift cards to gamestop and i grabbed one of the madcatz alpha pads or w/e

it's great except the stick and pad are poo poo

don't waste cash on it, grab the fc4 instead

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

speaking of, i got gift cards to gamestop and i grabbed one of the madcatz alpha pads or w/e

it's great except the stick and pad are poo poo

don't waste cash on it, grab the fc4 instead

was it common ground? I was thinking of making a new ps4 stick soon.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

was it common ground? I was thinking of making a new ps4 stick soon.

idk i didnt open it in case i was gonna return it. played with it for two weeks, went back to the fc4, never looked back

also im sorry it was the fightpad pro, not the alpha.

this one:

the button layout is great, the triggers feel really nice but the d-pad and stick suck hard

re: mod- i do know the alpha has all the buttons soldered in which is pretty loving horrid if you want to use it for mods.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_okABO3zY

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If a half-bad game only ships half the content, is it technically only a quarter-bad game? Deep thoughts.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
you gotta make a hard read on that deep thought

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

xian is really funny on excellent adventures this week.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...arge-instantly/

Check out these rejected V-Skill ideas, they're pretty dope.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I did it I'm officially MLG

that was the only ranked victory i had all day

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

The Vega thing would be amazing

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The Vega thing would be amazing

ly bad

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dias posted:

So would Zangief be top-tier with that potential skill? Just turn a block into an insta-grab?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bhsman posted:

So would Zangief be top-tier with that potential skill? Just turn a block into an insta-grab?

You're giving a grappler the ability to convert a block into a grab, at will, with no resource cost. What do you think?

It could've worked as his V-trigger if they'd found a way of communicating what was happening clearly enough.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nash air dash would be better than green hand

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bhsman posted:

Let me play this scenario out for you

"Alright I blocked Gief's half-screen punch."
"Wait, why am I in the air?"
"Okay he got me that time, I'll just jump next time he does it, wait is that a jab?"

rinse and repeat ad nauseum. Gief becomes banned a year later after Snake_Eyez and Infiltration win every tournament with him

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

vegas rejected one sounds dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're giving a grappler the ability to convert a block into a grab, at will, with no resource cost. What do you think?

It could've worked as his V-trigger if they'd found a way of communicating what was happening clearly enough.

Baal posted:

Let me play this scenario out for you

"Alright I blocked Gief's half-screen punch."
"Wait, why am I in the air?"
"Okay he got me that time, I'll just jump next time he does it, wait is that a jab?"

rinse and repeat ad nauseum. Gief becomes banned a year later after Snake_Eyez and Infiltration win every tournament with him

I'll take that as a yes. :v:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

vegas rejected one sounds dope

It does, though I like his current V-Trigger.