Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Geist honestly feels like he was dropped in from a completely different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I said he was my favorite antagonist but actually he's shared first place with the final asterisk.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

endolithic posted:

On the other hand,

That moment was nice.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ragequit posted:

When fighting Ba'als, does lowering their levels diminish rewards?

You get somewhat less experience, pg and JP, but the item rewards are the same. A level 1 Ba'al will still give wildly disproportionate rewards for how easy it is to kill at that point, so feel free to delevel them as much as your patience will allow.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, the timers in the town building minigame don't count down while the game is sleeping? Are you loving serious?

edit: "Oh, that was fast. Feeling better?" *SUCKER PUNCH*

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 23, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes they do.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
They count down while the game is running or sleeping, but not while you don't have Bravely Second launched/while the DS is powered off. Same goes for SP.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Terper posted:

Yes they do.

:psyduck: Mine haven't...this is in the first game, right? I set them to 2-3 hrs of work before I went to sleep, and they're still around that time.

Edit: Yeah, shoulda clarified. I'm playing the first game.

Edit 2: airship nnnnooooooooo :cry:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 23, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So if I thought Bravely Default was poo poo aside from the boss battles, I probably won't like Bravely Second, right? Is the game world bigger or interesting to explore?

Edit: Okay, that's kind of unfair. The intro cinematic was cool too.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 23, 2016

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Edit: Yeah, shoulda clarified. I'm playing the first game.

Okay, your SP won't charge while the game is running in that case, but your stuff should still be building in sleep-mode... assuming you're entering sleep mode by just closing the DS instead of pressing the power button. Doing the latter closes the game and stops all progress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Okay, your SP won't charge while the game is running in that case, but your stuff should still be building in sleep-mode... assuming you're entering sleep mode by just closing the DS instead of pressing the power button. Doing the latter closes the game and stops all progress.

Yeah, I'm just closing it. Bizarre. Oh well, it's been pretty useless so far and I'm just getting through for the story so I can move onto Bravely Second. :shepface:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It runs while the game is asleep, but not while it is suspended.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I could have sworn it wasn't suspended...oh well. No big deal.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

So, I just got done with the last sidequest, and I've got a gameplay question.

How do I raise my job levels to 11? I tried killing stuff like usual, but anyone at 10 isn't gaining any more JP for me.

I don't think this has been answered yet.

The last job you unlock has a passive skill that unlocks job level 11 when equiped. Once you reach that level in a job, you keep it even if you unequip the skill.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

So if I thought Bravely Default was poo poo aside from the boss battles, I probably won't like Bravely Second, right? Is the game world bigger or interesting to explore?

Edit: Okay, that's kind of unfair. The intro cinematic was cool too.

probably not, it's the same world with a couple new towns and dungeons

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The writing in this game is cute and funny. I love the full bestiary entry for the bunny and how it gets progressively more disappointed in the bunny

Just wait 'til you see the entries for the Witch monster. Those are hilarious! :allears:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DoctorX posted:

I don't think this has been answered yet.

The last job you unlock has a passive skill that unlocks job level 11 when equiped. Once you reach that level in a job, you keep it even if you unequip the skill.

I actually got told a bit earlier, but thanks. :)

Granted, though, a lot of them seem either irrelevant or just an upgrade on existing stuff (I.E. Red Mage's is just Bishop's ultimate ability but guaranteed to happen, if I'm reading it right), though a few would've been reeeal handy to have had before now, like the Swordmaster's.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

I actually got told a bit earlier, but thanks. :)

Granted, though, a lot of them seem either irrelevant or just an upgrade on existing stuff (I.E. Red Mage's is just Bishop's ultimate ability but guaranteed to happen, if I'm reading it right), though a few would've been reeeal handy to have had before now, like the Swordmaster's.

Try using Thief's level 11 ability on gold-framed Ba'als on the moon.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I heard there was a thing you could do with the Konami code on the title screen of the first game and now I'm quite confused. :shepface: I guess I'm playing the game to figure out what the gently caress!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Try using Thief's level 11 ability on gold-framed Ba'als on the moon.

Specifically, the test tube ones from a Japanese player dated in 2015. The others are negligible returns in comparison.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Just wait 'til you see the entries for the Witch monster. Those are hilarious! :allears:

It's amazing. It has a twist in the story too!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Is the village building any less awful than in BD? Asking for a friend (my sanity).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, gently caress Gold Chompers and all three of these postgame dungeons, too. :argh:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Philip Rivers posted:

Is the village building any less awful than in BD? Asking for a friend (my sanity).

It's pretty much the same. You don't unlock new weapons from it in this game, so there's not quite as much potential to break the difficulty curve with it, but it still gives you access to special moves and high-end consumable items.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

It's the exact same thing really. You get 5 a day through update data so you can finish it in a fair time.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's amazing. It has a twist in the story too!

Other good entries in this game that I remember right now are the entries for most of the Glanz Empire mooks, and the machines they make. Especially once you get to the Engineer notes for the latter and the party's reaction to them. And of course the entries for the Succubus-type enemies.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And then you get ones like the entry for the final boss of chapter 1. :stonk:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Does JP Up apply to the entire party, or only to the character that has it equipped?

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.

Bongo Bill posted:

Does JP Up apply to the entire party, or only to the character that has it equipped?

Character-only, I believe.

Currently up to chapter 6 so far and just finished the final asterisk sidequest. I have to say I'm enjoying this game quite a bit, but I'm one of those weirdos who thinks cheesy Bravely is best Bravely. Geist is sharing the "favorite new antagonist" spot in my heart with the last asterisk holder, and I didn't expect Yew to grow on me as much as he did. I thought he'd kind of annoy me at first, but in a game that's all about having the courage to try again, not to mention his family's bloody history and how he's striving to change that, his personality and character development fit very well in the context. It also helps that he's absolutely adorable, and Sinterniklaas did an excellent job with voicing him. :3: My only nitpick with this game so far is the music, and it's not so much that ryo's a bad composer as much as Revo is just really, really loving hard to follow up on.

chlorophylls fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 23, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The music is serviceable with a couple of bad tracks but overall it's generally fine, the biggest disappointment is the character theme songs for the Specials, which were loving amazing in the first game (aside from Agnes' theme which was just okay) and they're just bland as hell in this one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

triple wielding rods has been fun but it's getting to the point where yew is 3 levels below the rest of the party because the fights ends with him dying then killing any enemies with his death summon

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
tiz has been dead at the end of two boss fights now

poor guy

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
(namely profiteur and skunkhead 2)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Twelve by Pies posted:

(aside from Agnes' theme which was just okay)

I grew to like Agnes's theme a lot more when I heard the Vocalized version of it, and it's my fav of the Vocalized versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CjTJUplDyY

The album version is better/cleaner, but the live performance is all I could get on youtube.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Skunkhead 2 is a dick about counters.

Wish I had known that Wall trick earlier.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah, I just did that fight and I had an all physical team. It was... Not great.

Managed to pull through on the sheer amount of Phoenix downs I had and 2 people with holy magic. Slowly chip away while reviving and healing between attacks. At about 50% I just bursted him down with 4 specials.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
is knight or ninja better

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

alcharagia posted:

is knight or ninja better

Dual Wield improves Triple/Quad Wield.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
good because that was the one i wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Dual Wield is pretty much the biggest thing that lets melee pretend they're competitive with magic users by the end.

• Locked thread