Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Mulva posted:

So has anyone seen a USB-C only hub? I just bought a new MacBook and I would prefer to just get new USB-C accessories rather than trying to use my old ones.

This thing is badass: http://amzn.to/1prhCoX
Anker also makes a nice direct charger: http://amzn.to/1T4znlQ
And I just ordered one of these: http://amzn.to/1rqIdEs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

pipebomb posted:

This thing is badass: http://amzn.to/1prhCoX
And I just ordered one of these: http://amzn.to/1rqIdEs

Nice, thanks!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Looking at the specs...is my maxed out 2013 air more powerful than the new MacBooks?! How is that possible?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

Looking at the specs...is my maxed out 2013 air more powerful than the new MacBooks?! How is that possible?

They used a slower and cooler-running processor for the MacBook so it could be fanless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone here used the Macbook for any sort of ~*real work*~? I use a 2015 13" Macbook Pro for some programming work, and while it is amazing, I'm pretty much in love with the form factor and keyboard on the new Macbook, I'm just concerned it'll be a dog in Eclipse/Xcode.

13" is a bit of a squeeze for me personally, but it works fine with an external monitor.

I have a 2014 15" rMBP and use it with PyCharm fine. Other than a brief stab at learning Swift, I haven't really run X-code.

But yes I use it for work. Part of my job is researching exploits for network services (for a specific product line mostly) and I develop a lot of specific tests for my lab.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, I'd say.. I picked up one Minix (gold) as I service several Retina MacBooks now, it supports booting off of a USB key.

Had a user who took their rMB to the beach and hosed up the keyboard with sea water, also knocked out their display somehow, could only retrieve their data by plugging in flash key, keyboard, and HDMI cable. IMHO the only nitpick-able fault of the Minix is that it doesn't pass through the full 29W of power needed to charge the rMB at full speed. But ya gotta feed power to all those ports somehow..

Something to remember about the rMB is that it's mostly flat battery cells with a logic board that's about the size of a MLB ticket; it does not have a detachable SSD; if Target Disk Mode doesn't work or the machine won't boot the only way to get the data is to put the logic board in a known good rMB and hope for the best.

And some people still refuse to use Time Machine.

pipebomb posted:

That won't charge the rMB at full speed, it doesn't provide 29W of charging power, but this one will, also from Anker:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Charger-PowerPort-Delivery/dp/B01D8C6ULO

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 23, 2016

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A few weeks ago I started getting a somewhat frequent problem with my 2015 rMBP freezing and needing a hard restart. I put it in diagnostic mode and got the PPT004 error (battery needs servicing) and put it through PRAM resets, etc and took it in to the fruit stand. Their diagnostic tools couldn't find anything wrong except with the trackpad (which they replaced). All was well until today when the same problem started happening again, same diagnostic code showing up along with the freezing problem. I've got an appointment with the Genius Bar later this afternoon again. Other than saying "I need you to replace this battery no matter what your diagnostic tools say" is there any other way to get them to fix this? I can't afford to have my laptop die on me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't know about any of that but what was wrong with your trackpad?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ethanol posted:

I don't know about any of that but what was wrong with your trackpad?

It wouldn't be able to register clicks now and then. The tech said it was seated incorrectly so they just replaced it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A few weeks ago I started getting a somewhat frequent problem with my 2015 rMBP freezing and needing a hard restart. I put it in diagnostic mode and got the PPT004 error (battery needs servicing) and put it through PRAM resets, etc and took it in to the fruit stand. Their diagnostic tools couldn't find anything wrong except with the trackpad (which they replaced). All was well until today when the same problem started happening again, same diagnostic code showing up along with the freezing problem. I've got an appointment with the Genius Bar later this afternoon again. Other than saying "I need you to replace this battery no matter what your diagnostic tools say" is there any other way to get them to fix this? I can't afford to have my laptop die on me.

Use your phone to take a picture of the PPT004 error and insist the battery be replaced. What could bring a delay is the fact that the battery, top case assembly and keyboard are all one unit and can't be ordered separately, and it's a bit of a job to switch out (more time consuming than complex.)

Also see if you can get a receipt that details exactly what they replaced- a lot of times they will just switch out the trackpad; there's also a flex cable that connects the trackpad to the keyboard, so they should replace that as well.

It's also possible (but rare) that the connector for the flex cable on the logic board is bad or the SMC is bad, in which case it'd be a logic board switch too. But you're still under warranty, right?

They also have to do a recalibration with a bunch of metric weights (necessary for all Force Touch pads) when they replace your pad, I wonder if they skipped it.

I wouldn't tell them in those exact terms except to say "are you sure you replaced everything involved?" or something similar, or they may suspect a ringer.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 23, 2016

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Use your phone to take a picture of the PPT004 error and insist the battery be replaced. What could bring a delay is the fact that the battery, top case assembly and keyboard are all one unit and can't be ordered separately, and it's a bit of a job to switch out (more time consuming than complex.)

Also see if you can get a receipt that details exactly what they replaced- a lot of times they will just switch out the trackpad; there's also a flex cable that connects the trackpad to the keyboard, so they should replace that as well.

It's also possible (but rare) that the connector for the flex cable on the logic board is bad or the SMC is bad, in which case it'd be a logic board switch too. But you're still under warranty, right?

They also have to do a recalibration with a bunch of metric weights (necessary for all Force Touch pads) when they replace your pad, I wonder if they skipped it.

Yeah the touchpad works really good now (better than it had been) so that seems ok. I have the photo of the diagnostic screen, so yeah I'll do that. I'll look for the receipt, thanks. Also, yeah I purchased Applecare so this machine has another couple years of warrantee on it. I can reproduce the error code just by putting the mac into diagnostic mode again as well.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Has anyone tried the Henge Docks Vertical Docking Station for the rMBP 15"? Any opinions?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Any vons for keyboard covers or laptop stands?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Animal posted:

Has anyone tried the Henge Docks Vertical Docking Station for the rMBP 15"? Any opinions?

I hate mine and wish I never bought it.

Mac book looks too tall and big, ports get loose too easy and then the Mac doesn't charge..

It's just a vertical stand with extension cords in it. Way over priced.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

I hate mine and wish I never bought it.

Mac book looks too tall and big, ports get loose too easy and then the Mac doesn't charge..

It's just a vertical stand with extension cords in it. Way over priced.

Thanks for saving me from being really angry in the future. Something like this has to work PERFECTLY otherwise its just gonna be a source of frustration.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010

How good is the new MacBook. I literally just like to open lots of tabs and do stuff in word/final draft. Is it gonna struggle at all? I was gonna wait for a new pro

I can't imagine it would, but I have the base model due Tuesday (given tracking probably monday) and can let you know. I'm a writer and probably have similar workflows. Scrivener or Word, Safari, maybe a reference open in the kindle app, Dictionary open for thesaurus.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone here used the Macbook for any sort of ~*real work*~? I use a 2015 13" Macbook Pro for some programming work, and while it is amazing, I'm pretty much in love with the form factor and keyboard on the new Macbook, I'm just concerned it'll be a dog in Eclipse/Xcode.

I've got the 2015 1.3 and am wondering the same. It's a refurb that I can return until May 9th, so if the maxed 2016 is a big step up, then I'll pay the extra. So far, on the 2015 1.3, IntelliJ is noticeably sluggish, although not unusable. You need to add tweaks for 1680 or 1080 HiDPI to get more real-estate, but it's far from difficult. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scale-1680x1050-on-rmb-without-an-app.1873910/

In reality, my dream laptop is the current X1 Carbon running OS X, but poo poo in one hand and wish in another...

krooj fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 23, 2016

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

krooj posted:

I've got the 2015 1.3 and am wondering the same. It's a refurb that I can return until May 9th, so if the maxed 2016 is a big step up, then I'll pay the extra. So far, on the 2015 1.3, IntelliJ is noticeably sluggish, although not unusable. You need to add tweaks for 1680 or 1080 HiDPI to get more real-estate, but it's far from difficult. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scale-1680x1050-on-rmb-without-an-app.1873910/

In reality, my dream laptop is the current X1 Carbon running OS X, but poo poo in one hand and wish in another...

I have the 2015 base level Macbook and a 2013 RMBP and the difference is pretty much night and day. I can't use Atom any longer because it's just too slow so have switched back to Vim in iTerm with tmux and even that is annoying with a couple of gulp or grunt watchers running.

That being said I love this laptop and it makes people sitting at cafes go ''ooh" every now and then which justifies the ridiculous RRP.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wait I can't tell from your post. Which one is which

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

jt posted:

I have the 2015 base level Macbook and a 2013 RMBP and the difference is pretty much night and day. I can't use Atom any longer because it's just too slow so have switched back to Vim in iTerm with tmux and even that is annoying with a couple of gulp or grunt watchers running.

That being said I love this laptop and it makes people sitting at cafes go ''ooh" every now and then which justifies the ridiculous RRP.

Wait... what the hell can you possibly be doing in Atom that causes the machine to be unusably slow?

e: I don't want to sound like a dick, but there are so many varying claims about the capabilities of these systems: some people claim they can't even run Chrome properly... others claim to be coding with rich IDEs and running VMs at the same time. For me, so far, the 1.3 is usable. Scrolling has slight chop in IntelliJ, which I would claim to be lag. Chrome... depends on the pages.... Google Music isn't quick at all, especially their transition animations, but there's no stutter in any of the streams.

FWIW, I tried a new X1C before returning it last week - that thing had perfect hardware specs for me, and the thing which killed it was Windows. I can't describe the rage at getting 1998-era audio stutter in streams or the various graphical glitches caused by the video drivers, or the fact that I even had to download and install driver patches for a brand new machine... the poo poo list goes on... Linux isn't an option yet because of Skylake bugs, so I had to let it go.

I cannot express the amount of pent up nerd angst in waiting to see what the new lineup looks like.

krooj fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 24, 2016

jt
Nov 23, 2004

Wait I can't tell from your post. Which one is which

The Macbook Pro 2013 (Core i7) is ridiculously faster in comparison. I'm using the Macbook now and there is noticeable delay when typing even. It's just underpowered for the amount of stuff the OS is doing.

Atom usage is a bunch of plugins and a 2,000~ file NodeJS project. Unusable was too strong a word, it's just really slow compared to a 'real' CPU.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Animal posted:

Mine works fine. I just found it didn't fit my use case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jt posted:

The Macbook Pro 2013 (Core i7) is ridiculously faster in comparison. I'm using the Macbook now and there is noticeable delay when typing even. It's just underpowered for the amount of stuff the OS is doing.

Atom usage is a bunch of plugins and a 2,000~ file NodeJS project. Unusable was too strong a word, it's just really slow compared to a 'real' CPU.

I assume you're comparing it to a 13" one right? The 15" is quad-core.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I assume you're comparing it to a 13" one right? The 15" is quad-core.

Ah no, 15". I know it's nowhere near a fair comparison. I have been working on the Macbook for 3 months now and it is sufficient, I can't deny that the overall sluggishness of the system is noticeable though. *shrugs*

At least it looks really nice.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
So about 3 weeks ago I bought a gold 2015 Macbook (256gb, 1.1ghz) via Amazon (NIB, $1000 tax free). Primarily because I needed to do some catchup development for an old Windows app I wrote.

I can easily use it for running Parallels w/ w WinXP (really yes) and Windows 10, all the while keeping tweetbot, safari, messages, slack, coda, etc. open without any lag.

I ordered the new one (space gray) the day it was announced and it arrived yesterday. I immediately put a return label on it and sent it back unopened. I'm happy with this one and can't justify another $400 for a minor bump I may not even notice.

All of this to say that it is a perfectly fine little machine for getting poo poo done. The screen is amazing and outputting to the 4k tv in my conference room and charging using a loving USB cable are things of beauty.

Yes, I wish it had a tb of flash and 16gb of ram, but I can wait another year for that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I played with the 12" Macbook and I really can't stand the keyboard.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Mu Zeta posted:

I played with the 12" Macbook and I really can't stand the keyboard.

It's quite clicky. People around me notice it...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Guess I will wait for the pro then.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Hey, I hadn't even noticed that Apple have released an updated MacBook. Browsing though the last posts, the verdict seems to be that it's a minor update that won't really do that much and that the other MacBooks are still the way to go if you want to do "serious" stuff. Is that a correct summary?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah t was a very minor spec bump

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Best Buy has the base 13" Air for $750 (i5, 4GB, 128GB)

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy has the base 13" Air for $750 (i5, 4GB, 128GB)

I would be skeptical to buy a 128GB computer for $750 in 2016, but I suppose it at least has an SD slot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd be just as concerned about the 4gb of ram. I have a 128/4 model, and both limitations are the aspects that get on my nerves the most.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

4gb RAM and 128gb of storage? It's a pile of poo poo. I wouldn't take that if you gave it to me. Well, maybe I would, and I'd sell it new-in-box to some sucker for $750.

What can you even do with that? Use it as a coffee-table machine to show your grandparents photos on Facebook?

It's a gross computer. Don't buy it, or you'll be in this thread later complaining and we're going to have to make fun of you. At least I will.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Ordered the 2016 rMB m7. I want to see it side by side with the refurb 2015 I already have. If the speed difference between the two isn't enough to justify the extra cost, then it gets returned, otherwise, the 2015 refurb is going back.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You're not going to see much of a difference.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Also can I comment on how stupid it is to buy a $1200-3000 laptop to replace the same one from LAST YEAR? Come on, dude. Moore's Law is over. Ugh.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd do it if the New Macbook had like 2 extra USB ports.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pivo posted:

Also can I comment on how stupid it is to buy a $1200-3000 laptop to replace the same one from LAST YEAR? Come on, dude. Moore's Law is over. Ugh.

That would be dumb but since either laptop can be returned it's not a bad idea to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mediaphage posted:

That would be dumb but since either laptop can be returned it's not a bad idea to try it.

Guess I missed that. Didn't think a 2015 laptop could be returned but I guess he bought it recently. What does Apple give you, 14 days? That's not a long time to make a decision if you have to wait for shipping too. Oh well. Still dumb IMO. The refurb was prolly significantly cheaper than the new hotness.