Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

sigseven posted:

Zip-tie plus heat shrink tube is a good way to do it. On my new build, I put the antennae in a plastic tubing as well for extra protection in case it gets bent into the choppy zone. You can scavenge the plastic tube form air dusters or empty pump spray bottles.

Hah I recognize this from FB, was wondering if any Austin goons flew. Such a good looking build.

Would give my left nut for it stop raining long enough to burn through a few packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I found an amazing park near my house, the entire thing is like a sunk in dome and people hang out on the angled sides and there's a soccer field in the center. The one side of the park is all covered in trees and the shade kills the grass so nobody hangs out there. You can do these awesome dives while still staying super close to the grass, the hill is like a 30 degree angle. Lots of trees to dodge but it's not forest with underbrush it's just a few sticks and leaves on the ground. You can be zooming along at a flatter section then fly over a cliff while maintaining your height, or dive down and stay with the contours of the hill. Some of the most fun LOS flying I have ever done. You have to be super precise with your throttle control to keep it a few inches off the ground.

If you get a chance to fly on the side of a big hill I highly recommend it.

Also there HAS to be some sort of job opportunity for a combination Goose/Homeless remover and Dog Entertainer. That job is mine.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 21, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

I found an amazing park near my house, the entire thing is like a sunk in dome and people hang out on the angled sides and there's a soccer field in the center. The one side of the park is all covered in trees and the shade kills the grass so nobody hangs out there. You can do these awesome dives while still staying super close to the grass, the hill is like a 30 degree angle. Lots of trees to dodge but it's not forest with underbrush it's just a few sticks and leaves on the ground. You can be zooming along at a flatter section then fly over a cliff while maintaining your height, or dive down and stay with the contours of the hill. Some of the most fun LOS flying I have ever done. You have to be super precise with your throttle control to keep it a few inches off the ground.

Well, where is this? Don't keep the good Toronto spots to yourself :mad:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ugh I can't wait to start doing this. This ebay seller better come through :(

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am going to maiden my home-built foamie FPV plane in about an hour and a half. I am either going to have a lot of fun or end up with a big pile of useless foam. :v:

Has a Vector kit, 200mw transmitter, and 4400mah of batteries! (2x2200 3s).

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

nerox posted:

I am going to maiden my home-built foamie FPV plane in about an hour and a half. I am either going to have a lot of fun or end up with a big pile of useless foam. :v:

Or both fun and pile-o-foam

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Well, where is this? Don't keep the good Toronto spots to yourself :mad:

Hey, impromptu meet:

http://fpvracingevents.com/internationaldroneday/

There are quite a few Toronto people itt. Find me and I will reveal my secrets.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, impromptu meet:

http://fpvracingevents.com/internationaldroneday/

There are quite a few Toronto people itt. Find me and I will reveal my secrets.

HMMMMMMM. May 7, huh? I'll try to make that!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My replacement flight controller arrived for my Tyrant 150, got it all mounted. Got telemetry working. Camera is rock solid image in my cheapo DIY UFO 800x480 goggles.

Did laps in my backyard before the rain. She flies great, camera looks great. Graphene batteries are awesome. Charging at 10C is amazing.

Now to find a park.

Also ordered the Tyrant 210 frame. I want to move my first 250 I built over to it. Love these things.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Maiden went well, needs a little more fine tuning, but got 6 minutes of flight and only used 600mah of battery, should be able to push 30 minute flights :)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

:D

I also got my fatsharks! Only had a chance to hover with them, can't wait to get this little thing going in some open area.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 22, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Google Butt posted:

:D

I also got my fatsharks! Only had a chance to hover with them, can't wait to get this little thing going in some open area.

Looks like your camera is tilted the wrong way(could just be the photo)? You want it angled up not down!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Slash posted:

Looks like your camera is tilted the wrong way(could just be the photo)? You want it angled up not down!

It's angled up a bit, I'll have to figure out how to angle it a bit more though

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Martytoof posted:

HMMMMMMM. May 7, huh? I'll try to make that!

I'm free that day. Will totally go check it out. I'm in the East end if anyone needs a ride.

Reveal your Toronto secrets! I haven't flown outside yet and I'm dying to give it a go.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Bought a Diatone 850 TVL camera and Foxeer 25mW transmitter.

I have no idea how to connect this stuff up. The Diatone 850 camera aparently doesn't exist, there are zero hits on it on google.
The bundled documentation is lacking and the schematic images does not match the layout of the camera at all.
The camera has a 3-slot and a 6-slot socket, and came with a cable that has a small white 3-slot plug matching the 3-slot socket in one end and one of those black flat servo connectors(?) in the other end. Red, black and yellow wire. I assume the yellow wire should go to the video in on the transmitter?

The Foxeer transmitter documentation says "5V in" on one of the 6 wires, but the actual camera itself says "7V-24V" so i don't know what to think...
The transmitter came with a cable that is connected with a 6-slot white connector on the transmitter and 3 of the wires is connected to a 3-slot white plug, similar to the one on the camera. The other 3 wires are not connected to a plug.
Should the white plug on the transmitter go onto the camera somehow? Do i daisy chain power from the camera to the transmitter or connect it separately?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 22, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ineptitude posted:

Bought a Diatone 850 TVL camera and Foxeer 25mW transmitter.

I have no idea how to connect this stuff up. The Diatone 850 camera aparently doesn't exist, there are zero hits on it on google.
The bundled documentation is lacking and the schematic images does not match the layout of the camera at all.
The camera has a 3-slot and a 6-slot socket, and came with a cable that has a small white 3-slot plug matching the 3-slot socket in one end and one of those black flat servo connectors(?) in the other end. Red, black and yellow wire. I assume the yellow wire should go to the video in on the transmitter?

The Foxeer transmitter documentation says "5V in" on one of the 6 wires, but the actual camera itself says "7V-24V" so i don't know what to think...
The transmitter came with a cable that is connected with a 6-slot white connector on the transmitter and 3 of the wires is connected to a 3-slot white plug, similar to the one on the camera. The other 3 wires are not connected to a plug.
Should the white plug on the transmitter go onto the camera somehow? Do i daisy chain power from the camera to the transmitter or connect it separately?

Do you have a link to the products? I mean you bought them somehow right?

Newer transmitters take 7-24v IN and give you a 5v OUT connection to power your camera. So it looks like a mess but basically 2 wires(VCC, GND) from your PDB into your transmitter and 3 wires(VCC, GND, VID) from your transmitter into your camera.

If you bought the transmitter and cam as separate items the connectors on the VTX cables may not match the cam plugs and you'll have to solder your own harness to get it working.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Do you have a link to the products? I mean you bought them somehow right?

Transmitter

Camera

Newer transmitters take 7-24v IN and give you a 5v OUT connection to power your camera. So it looks like a mess but basically 2 wires(VCC, GND) from your PDB into your transmitter and 3 wires(VCC, GND, VID) from your transmitter into your camera.

If you bought the transmitter and cam as separate items the connectors on the VTX cables may not match the cam plugs and you'll have to solder your own harness to get it working.

The camera wants 12V though?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ineptitude posted:

Transmitter

Camera

The camera wants 12V though?

Ok cool, so typically I guess they expect you to combine that with a mini 600tvl cam like this:

https://www.dronehandelen.no/collections/fpv-racing-drone/products/diatone-mini-600tvl-fpv-kamera?variant=14920755462

But you're still good to go. All you'll need to do is run 12v to your Vtx, 12v to your camera, and a single yellow wire from your cam to your Vtx. Just a bit longer of a wire run to power your cam.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

So I bought some lipos but I'm not sure when I'll be using them, maybe a week or two. Should I use my icharger 206b to do a storage charge or do a full charge?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks! I think i have a fairly good idea on how to set this up now!

In other news, i connected my receiver (XSR) to my Naze32 and managed to bind it to my Taranis! Finally something that went smoothly
It looks like i have set it up to use SBUS correctly as well, as when i move the sticks on the Taranis the various bars move in the transmitter menu in Cleanflight.

Why doesn't my motors spin up when i hit throttle though? They do spin up when i move the motor lever in Cleanflight
I was watching a vid on youtube and that guys motors spun up when hitting the throttle on the transmitter when he was going through the initial Naze32 Cleanflight configuration

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Google Butt posted:

Anyone try Liftoff?

It's good.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

Why doesn't my motors spin up when i hit throttle though? They do spin up when i move the motor lever in Cleanflight

Most likely because it isn't armed?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Most likely because it isn't armed?

I was wondering something along those lines as well. In that youtube i linked however, he sets up arming during the setup process, but at that stage he had already revved the motors with the transmitter. (Maybe he had it all set up beforehand?)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

I was wondering something along those lines as well. In that youtube i linked however, he sets up arming during the setup process, but at that stage he had already revved the motors with the transmitter. (Maybe he had it all set up beforehand?)

Just skimmed it, and yeah he sets up modes/arming later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFf3ybXDuYs&t=811s

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My quad started to fly like rear end and subsequently got stuck into a tree. Turns out the screws holding the arms got loose (and some got lost). That's for not using Loctite. :saddowns:

Gonna be replaced by M3 screws all the day through fastened with torque nuts, no more this screws from both sides BS.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Google Butt posted:

So I bought some lipos but I'm not sure when I'll be using them, maybe a week or two. Should I use my icharger 206b to do a storage charge or do a full charge?

Every day your lipos spend at full charge contributes to their decline in health. There's no cutoff before which it doesn't harm them. The ideal use case is to only charge right before you fly.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Wojcigitty posted:

Every day your lipos spend at full charge contributes to their decline in health. There's no cutoff before which it doesn't harm them. The ideal use case is to only charge right before you fly.

I used my little voltage checker on all the new batteries I just bought and they look like all the cells are around 3.8-3.9v, so that should be safe for storage, right? Or should I select the storage charge mode on my icharger and do that?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Also, I'm setting up for the maiden flight this weekend. Currently reading about expo, should I be setting it in cleanflight or on the Taranis? Pros/cons? Or should I just leave it alone and play with my rates?

I guess I'm just looking for some "safe" settings so I can go out to the field and not have to bring my laptop for the first go.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 23, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Also, I'm setting up for the maiden flight this weekend. Currently reading about expo, should I be setting it in cleanflight or on the Taranis? Pros/cons? Or should I just leave it alone and play with my rates?

I guess I'm just looking for some "safe" settings so I can go out to the field and not have to bring my laptop for the first go.

Expo shouldn't be needed, just take it easy with the sticks when you first fly!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So yeah, I've just flashed my BLHeli ESCs with newer firmware and noticed that there's a motor rotation direction setting. Since all leads on both motors and ESCs are black, is there any reason I shouldn't just solder everything nilly willy and then correct rotation in the ESCs? Would certainly allow for a cleaner soldering job, if I don't have to plan to desolder poo poo again.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

Combat Pretzel posted:

So yeah, I've just flashed my BLHeli ESCs with newer firmware and noticed that there's a motor rotation direction setting. Since all leads on both motors and ESCs are black, is there any reason I shouldn't just solder everything nilly willy and then correct rotation in the ESCs? Would certainly allow for a cleaner soldering job, if I don't have to plan to desolder poo poo again.

Yeah, I just connected all of of mine in whatever way looked nicest, and reversed the motor direction in the firmware.

Random question: Are those Lipo bags the best way to store LiPos to prevent my house from burning down, or do I need something more heavy duty like an ammo crate? Most of my batteries are pretty small (<1300mah), but I have one 3s 3000mah as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a good website/resource for drones in general? I have a Phantom 2 Vision+ that I am OK at flying it but I would like to try building something and setting up for FPV but literally have no idea where to start. I suspect a kit but even basic questions like what are the various "size classes" IE:250? and what's compatible with what, recommended kits/components, would be great.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
An idiots guide to pairing ESCs with motors with props would be beneficial.

Size classes can be more straightforward. I'm not sure how it's done with hexacopters, but with quads you (can) measure diagonally from motor to motor to get size.

250 quad

Can you guess the size of this quad?

Unrelated: I am sort of starting to figure out autonomous drone mapping.

One technical hurdle I need to overcome is getting the drone board to talk to the camera.

Drone:

Camera:

The issue I'm facing is that the only people I can find who sell a usb mini b male to mini b male cable want thirty five loving dollars for it. There's got to be a cheaper source.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would do some investigating that what you're trying to do will actually work re: your intended usb connection. Simply finding a cable that connects one port to another in no way means it will actually work as intended. To wit: because they're both mini B female, probably neither of those devices will operate in host mode. There's more to USB than physically making a connection.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'd be pretty surprised if that ungodly expensive cable actually got you anything approaching the desired result.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You could use a multimeter and 2x USB data cables, make your own for almost nothing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Slash posted:

Expo shouldn't be needed, just take it easy with the sticks when you first fly!

Really? This is for my tyrant 215 by the way.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

An idiots guide to pairing ESCs with motors with props would be beneficial.

Size classes can be more straightforward. I'm not sure how it's done with hexacopters, but with quads you (can) measure diagonally from motor to motor to get size.

250 quad

Can you guess the size of this quad?

Unrelated: I am sort of starting to figure out autonomous drone mapping.

One technical hurdle I need to overcome is getting the drone board to talk to the camera.

Drone:

Camera:

The issue I'm facing is that the only people I can find who sell a usb mini b male to mini b male cable want thirty five loving dollars for it. There's got to be a cheaper source.

Yeah, before you spend $35 on a USB cable, I would make sure that the camera can even be triggered that way.

http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-cameras-and-gimbals.html#camera-shutter-triggering
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/using-aux-pins-as-relays-for-chdk?id=705844%3ATopic%3A1559553&page=1#comments

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Google Butt posted:

Really? This is for my tyrant 215 by the way.

You may want to look into a cheapo $50 android tablet and a OTG cable. There is a cleanflight app for android and you can plug your rig into the tablet at the park and adjust your expo and PIDs and everything. I spent hours running inside and outside plugging my quad in for 2 minutes to change a setting then going back to the driveway to see the result. It would have been awesome if I could have chilled out in a park doing that.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

This. USB protocol requires one device to act as the host, and the other as the client/device. Chances are extremely high that both the copter and the camera are device-only, and won't work the way you think they will. If you just want to remote-trigger the camera, you should look into getting a new camera that has an actual remote trigger ability (IR sensor or whatever) and then just rig your drone up to emulate that option with some tiny Arduino hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

You may want to look into a cheapo $50 android tablet and a OTG cable. There is a cleanflight app for android and you can plug your rig into the tablet at the park and adjust your expo and PIDs and everything. I spent hours running inside and outside plugging my quad in for 2 minutes to change a setting then going back to the driveway to see the result. It would have been awesome if I could have chilled out in a park doing that.

Ooh poo poo, I have a tablet already. That's good to know, thank you.

Just installed the fan faceplate on the fat sharks and its night and day, so much more comfortable. I'm have a blast zipping around my house with this micro.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 23, 2016