Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
1990 is old enough the average Mazda dealer *might* have one tech who heard about it once reading a technical magazine. Just watch the crankshaft nose run, if it's wobbling around like crazy don't buy it, or prepare to replace the engine. A video of a wobbly crank,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75feCy_MRM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tteqBH4jgo4

The loctite fix could work, but it is just a stop gap. You could replace the whole crankshaft, but it is a lot easier and affordable to get a whole new engine and put it in.

If the crankshaft isn't wobbling, really do your research first. The usual cause blamed is the timing belt being replaced and incorrect torque values followed.

I have a 90 with 161k miles and the crank is perfect right now. The previous owner had inspected the keyway, found no damage, and still did the loctite fix with an album of pictures for proof. We spent almost 20 minutes just talking about it. He was a little obsessive, but ask the current owner about the SNC. If they don't know or try to play dumb with you, they may be trying to dump off a car with problems.

The whole problem probably is overblown anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

TrinityOfDeath posted:

The previous owner had inspected the keyway, found no damage, and still did the loctite fix with an album of pictures for proof.

Don't you only get a problem with the SNC if someone overtorques the bolt? Do you still need to do the loctite fix on a healthy one?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Interesting thread about the issue here http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=206168

Seems like I should:
- check for wobble
- ask the owner about short nose crank
- probably get a mazda shop to do the loctite fix as a preventative measure.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

I don't know if any shops would really touch this. Its basically a stopgap ghetto fix that isn't removable in the event you need to redo anything. You would also only do this if the crank keyway is already worn and the pulley is wobbling. Its not a preventative thing.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I don't know if any shops would really touch this. Its basically a stopgap ghetto fix that isn't removable in the event you need to redo anything. You would also only do this if the crank keyway is already worn and the pulley is wobbling. Its not a preventative thing.

Yeah this is the opinion of the car owner. I asked about the issue and he knew all about it. His opinion was "dont touch it" and "if it was faulty it would have broken by now."

Car was in crazy good shape. No real issues at all aside from a slightly torn edge of a door handle. I put a deposit down to buy it tomorrow.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Femtosecond posted:

No need to do that, here are some preventative things you can do:

http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

quote:

If you want to use the hope-for-the-best-if-I-don't-want-to-touch-it method of car maintenance, here are some simple guidelines:

Be very particular about belt tension for the accessory belts and the timing belt. Judging belt tension by the poke-with-finger method is a little questionable. Consider buying a belt tension checker.

If you are due for a timing belt change and the front seal is not leaking, change the timing belt but don't touch the pulley bolt. The timing belt can be replaced with out removing the cam drive sprocket from the crankshaft nose.

It is easy to use the bolt to turn the engine in order to install the new timing belt. Don't do this. Instead, put the car in 5th gear and roll it to position the crankshaft. Do not put a wrench on the bolt unless you intend to remove it!

If you really feel like you want to do something that might be constructive, replace the bolt with a new one.

I have a 90 with 243k km that has a lot of deferred maintenance and it's been running like a top if that makes you feel any better.

Edit:

quote:

REGULAR REPLACEMENT OF THE BOLT RECOMMENDED

The failure starts at the BOLT. It is undertorqued, overtorqued (stretching and yielding it), or the bolt creeps (stretches or fatigues) over time loosening the connection. An overtorqued bolt can not only stretch but cause the crankshaft threaded end inside diameter to expand. So even a fresh bolt may not retain it's torque. In any case as the bolt loosens the key, keyway, and timing cog take a beating. Only the crankshaft shoulder and timing cog can take the loads of operation. When the bolt becomes loose, the load shifts from the crankshaft shoulder to the other parts which rapidly self destruct.

Yes, most of the fault lies with the weak design that asks too much of that bolt. For this reason, the solution is NOT to leave the bolt untouched. That bolt is becoming older and older everyday. Every time you start the engine, the risk for failure increases. The bolt should be on a regular replacement schedule. I would recommend annually.

The bolt can be removed and inspected, the key can be slid out (sometimes) and examined without any other disassembly of the engine. I have a special socket I shortened with a grinder so I can remove the pulley bolt without removing the front anti-roll bar. If you ever find the bolt has not retained its torque, ferrous powder on the bolt or key, or the key rusted or smooshed, these are signs that the system is starting to fail. Sometimes a wobble can be seen when the engine is running. A wasted crankshaft keyway may, however, still rotate without runout. The static tension in the timing belt and accessory belts usually prevents a human hand from wobbling the lower pulley with the engine off. The only way to get a read on the crankshaft condition is to take the system apart.

If everything is in order, clean up the crankshaft and bolt shoulder seating surface with brake cleaning spray. Toothbrush the inside of the crankshaft threaded hole. Apply Loctite thread locker or sleeve retainer to a new bolt. Install NEW bolt and key. Torque to 87 foot pounds.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 24, 2016

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Hikaki posted:

Don't you only get a problem with the SNC if someone overtorques the bolt? Do you still need to do the loctite fix on a healthy one?

I'm not an expert. I have read it comes from over/under torquing the bolt, inserting the key upside down, or not putting the key in far enough. My crank doesn't wobble so I don't worry about, and I don't plan to mess with it until I have too. He just loc tited the crank bolt in place, not any key way repair.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hi.

I think I want a miata. But I don't want to spend too much on one.

What is a good miata for about 10K? Is that even a thing?

Thanks miata crew!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally figured out my misfire. I replaced the crank sensor since that's what I got a code for, but apparently it's just there to tell you "you have a misfire". No poo poo. Checked the coils over good with no signs of burning, and cleaned off the plugs which were a bit sooted from all the misfiring apparently.

After driving it around some and getting it warmed up it felt like a fueling issue, so I decided to fill the tank with fresh 93 since it has been sitting almost a year with less than a quarter tank. loving runs almost perfect now, just some hesitation starting out in first gear but then revs up fine. Drove it to work and feels like it's getting better every time I drive it. Must have been a bad batch of gas and/or water in the fuel I suppose.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

TheReverend posted:

Hi.

I think I want a miata. But I don't want to spend too much on one.

What is a good miata for about 10K? Is that even a thing?

Thanks miata crew!

Yeah thats a thing. You could have just about any Miata for that price range. Cherry NA/NB or great NC.

http://miata.net/garage/garagebuying.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd go for the nicest NB2 I could find for 10k.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

leica posted:

I'd go for the nicest NB2 I could find for 10k.

Yeah me too. Just go sit in some and see what you like.

In other news. Swapped to the Megasquirt today. Got it to show up on the laptop. Just need some vacuum hose to get MAP readings.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Oh hey one import component here,

I'm going to drive this to work 55 miles away. Every day. 5 days a week.

Would that be doable? How high in mileage should I be looking at?

Sorry for my idiocy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Depends on where you live, but if it's anywhere in the city or suburbs, no way I'd DD a Miata with a commute like that.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Why is that?

note: I've never even driven a miata.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Miatas can be fun to drive but not in the city or around the suburbs, especially if there's a lot of stop and go. The car excels in corners and twisty roads.

They're also not the most comfortable car to drive in for long periods of time. Assuming you get stick, it can be pretty annoying in traffic too. If it gets cold where you live, it's also a convertible.

How tall are you? It's not exactly great for tall people either.

With a commute like that, I would recommend getting a DD like a corolla or civic and then having the Miata for the weekends.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I'm remarkably exceedingly average at 5'10".

My current vehicle is a Chevrolet Avalanche so I gotta figure something out ( sounds like it's civic time).

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

TheReverend posted:

Why is that?

note: I've never even driven a miata.

Go sit in some. Easiest way to see if you will like it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

leica posted:

After driving it around some and getting it warmed up it felt like a fueling issue, so I decided to fill the tank with fresh 93 since it has been sitting almost a year with less than a quarter tank. loving runs almost perfect now, just some hesitation starting out in first gear but then revs up fine. Drove it to work and feels like it's getting better every time I drive it. Must have been a bad batch of gas and/or water in the fuel I suppose.

Did you have any Sta-Bil or Seafoam in the tank during storage?

TheReverend posted:

Oh hey one import component here,

I'm going to drive this to work 55 miles away. Every day. 5 days a week.

Would that be doable? How high in mileage should I be looking at?

Ignore the haters, this is totally doable. I'm about 5'9" and fit comfortably in an NA/NB.

My '97 got about 26 mpg and my '05 with a turbo gets ~25 mpg, both averages; during a couple of rare long-distance trips they both got over 30 mpg. You should expect to burn almost 4 gallons each day, then, and since the tank holds ~12 gallons you're looking at filling up twice a week.

While your fuel efficiency and driving experience totally depend on the complexity of your commute, it sounds like you're going to be doing mostly highway driving rather than stop & go; this means you should expect decent fuel economy (for a surprisingly inefficient car) as described above. On top of that, your commute will probably be a little boring but not unbearable; take my advice and install a good audio system and you'll be fine.

Your level of satisfaction with a Miata will ultimately depend on your weather; if you can put the top down most of the time (bring a hat/visor!) you'll love it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Did you have any Sta-Bil or Seafoam in the tank during storage?

No, but I wasn't anticipating it being laid up for so long. It was already showing the symptoms before I stopped driving it though.....I'm thinking that maybe the fuel pump is giving out.

quote:

Ignore the haters, this is totally doable. I'm about 5'9" and fit comfortably in an NA/NB.

Of course it's doable, depends on the person, for me no way that's what my Camry is for.

Also never driving a Miata before and coming from an Avalanche? That's one extreme to the next. I don't know if I'd be jumping into a long commute in a Miata if I were him.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

For what its worth, I deliver pizza in an NB so I'm doing stop and go suburb driving (admittedly, 'burbs in the mountains with lots of twisty roads and limited police presence) for about 5-6 hours and around 100 miles a night. When the weather is :sun: its loving fantastic and I cant believe I get paid to do it. When its cold or raining it gets a little claustrophobic inside and our short winter was significantly less fun than I'd hoped.

That said, get in one first and take it for the longest test drive you can get away with. Not just twisty funtime roads. Get stuck in traffic somewhere so you can see if you can put up with the car at its worst.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I've dailied my miata since I got it, part of that was all highway, part was nothing but stop and go city driving. I found it perfectly suitable in both cases. However I have a PRHT GT NC.

For 10k with the need to commute, I would be looking for a GT NC1. PRHT is going to be difficult to find at that price point.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I DD'd my NB to work, and I had about 2-3 hours each way through San Francisco / Silicon Valley traffic. It kept me warm and dry during the occasional rain, but it also had a brand new top, which probably makes a difference. Also, mine's an automatic - which some around here consider heresy - but since it was a "sit in traffic car" for 24+ hours a week it made sense for me. The auto trans actually has a really good feel, all things considered, and you can fake a downshift by pressing the overdrive button if you need to set up a pass.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I DD my '13 NC every day and it's half clear back roads and half bumper to bumper traffic. It's not the most comfortable car in the world but it's perfectly fine for the traffic parts and absolutely fantastic at the clear parts. The manual doesn't bother me in traffic, I don't even think about it.

The ride is a lot better than the fiesta st which has become my wife's car after selling her lovely jetta.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm a wierdo who thinks manuals are more comfortable in traffic because you're car doesn't accelerate by itself . The nc also has a really light clutch pedal...

I think as a DD traffic is much less of a problem than the car being tragically limited by snow and cargo space

If you do DD it, take care to watch out for reversing trucks....

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

leica posted:

No, but I wasn't anticipating it being laid up for so long. It was already showing the symptoms before I stopped driving it though.....I'm thinking that maybe the fuel pump is giving out.

Low power/almost stalling at low rpms but fine enough if you rev and dump the clutch? That's what mine was doing when the fuel pump was going out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheNothingNew posted:

Low power/almost stalling at low rpms but fine enough if you rev and dump the clutch? That's what mine was doing when the fuel pump was going out.

Yep, that's exactly what it's doing, though a little more subtle. I don't have to dump the clutch, but I do have to get the revs higher than normal.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

leica posted:

Yep, that's exactly what it's doing, though a little more subtle. I don't have to dump the clutch, but I do have to get the revs higher than normal.

If it's the fuel pump, it will get progressively worse over time (except when it runs perfectly for no discernible reason). Sure sounds like it though.

Can't offer any more help I'm afraid, had a shop handle it. Working with gas spooks me. Also no garage at that time.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

TheNothingNew posted:

Can't offer any more help I'm afraid, had a shop handle it. Working with gas spooks me. Also no garage at that time.

I found my fuel pump by accident taking apart rusted panels on the parcel shelf one day. I like easy to replace things and apparently have no fear of gas tanks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's an easy job, It's just a matter of when I feel like doing it. After finally fixing all the other poo poo I'm just burned out on cars at the moment :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/725896719934717952?ref_src=twsrc

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 29, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha that's loving awesome

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is the mob of people for or against Trump? I can't imagine a Miata owner is much of a Trump supporter.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

ethanol posted:

If you do DD it, take care to watch out for reversing trucks....

Basically treat the road as if you are on a motorcycle, , because people will consistently not see you. If you keep that in mind, the Miata is quick enough to get out of the way or stop quick enough to avoid trouble.

TheReverend, if you're driving 55 miles a day, I'd highly recommend an NC. It's gonna have more creature comforts and have a bit more space.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks,

If I have time this weekend, I'm going to go visit a Mazda dealership. We used to have a Ford/Mazda hybrid dealership in my dumb town but now it's Ford only.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I DD'd my NB to work, and I had about 2-3 hours each way through San Francisco / Silicon Valley traffic. It kept me warm and dry during the occasional rain, but it also had a brand new top, which probably makes a difference. Also, mine's an automatic - which some around here consider heresy - but since it was a "sit in traffic car" for 24+ hours a week it made sense for me. The auto trans actually has a really good feel, all things considered, and you can fake a downshift by pressing the overdrive button if you need to set up a pass.

There's nothing wrong with ATs, some people prefer them. In a related topic, what brand of tampon do you use?

Nice job! :hfive: I didn't realize you still had an NA though! ;)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is the mob of people for or against Trump? I can't imagine a Miata owner is much of a Trump supporter.

Supposedly those were anti-Trump protesters. Maybe the dude just wanted to do some donuts! I'm surprised how close he got to some of those people, though. :stare:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You underestimate how bro-y MT.net and CR can be.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Holy poo poo, the Abarf is cheaper than the Grand Touring trim.

No regrets. Not taking a 100lb penalty.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I don't like anything about the decision space around ND's due to options/pricing/targa/brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Holy poo poo, the Abarf is cheaper than the Grand Touring trim.

No regrets. Not taking a 100lb penalty.

Imagine how cheap they'll get when nobody buys them!