Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Tulip posted:

Less obsession with breakpoints.

I don't think it's worth the cost.

It's important from a balancing perspective, I think. If you don't balance around breakpoints, your balance changes will, in many cases, have no effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Someone at reddit transcribed the stream. Some interesting tidbits in here; also apparently they didn't even have a working demo of the new skills to show off.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Someone at reddit transcribed the stream. Some interesting tidbits in here; also apparently they didn't even have a working demo of the new skills to show off.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I'm not surprised. I wouldn't be shocked if... a substantial chunk of changes haven't been implemented.

E: Some potential major stuff in here:

quote:

Tier system will be changed so that only one point is required to get to the second tier, 2 points to the third, and a total of 14 for tier 4.

That's loving nuts.

quote:

Dominating enemies is now a passive thing, with one player in the lobby you can have 5 hostage cops. 1+ hostage cop per player. Total of 8. Dominating has been made more reliable.

Good?

quote:

Ammo pickup for a lot of weapons is greatly decreased "across the board".

This has the potential to be really annoying. I'd say a substantial chunk of weapons could stand to have pickup rates decreased, but the magnitude matters.

quote:

Carrying 2 bags will not be live at the time of the skill beta

:lol:

quote:

Fast Fire is a 100% chance to pierce body armor. Still carries a damage penalty of ~75% when piercing armor.

So largely pointless.

quote:

How Dodge triggers could possibly be changed

:ohdear:

quote:

Feign Death's 75% chance will probably be dropped.

Bad skill gets worse.

quote:

Berserker will be moved to Tier 3 in the Brawler tree.

lmbo

quote:

A "healing reduction" will be put into Frenzy, in order to alleviate things like Grinder.

I'm about 90% sure they're totally forgetting that Ex-Presidents is a perk deck that exists. If they nerf Grinder a bunch, Ex-Presidents may very well become the optimal dodge perk deck.

tldr: Overkill really has no idea what they're doing. Shocking, I know.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 24, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Putting a healing reduction on that skill will still affect Ex-President, it will also have its usefulness reduced significantly as a suit deck when Bullseye is moved to the armor tree.

The dude who wrote that write up misunderstood a bunch of things and didn't do a very good job by the way.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013

quote:

Ammo pickup for a lot of weapons is greatly decreased "across the board".

This has the potential to be really annoying. I'd say a substantial chunk of weapons could stand to have pickup rates decreased, but the magnitude matters.

I agree with this.
Our main concern should be about survival, not if we brought the most ammo efficient hard hitting gun.
I swear I remember Overkill messing around with ammo drops before and people hated it. Am I just misremembering?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

watho posted:

it will also have its usefulness reduced significantly as a suit deck when Bullseye is moved to the armor tree.

Bullseye is still pretty easy to access. Pretty sure most builds are going to ace Oppressor and Transporter, because bags and flashbangs. Sink another handful of points and you've got Bullseye.

Ex-Presidents is an LBV deck anyway, IMO.

quote:

The dude who wrote that write up misunderstood a bunch of things and didn't do a very good job by the way.

Be more specific.

SAMARIX posted:

I agree with this.
Our main concern should be about survival, not if we brought the most ammo efficient hard hitting gun.
I swear I remember Overkill messing around with ammo drops before and people hated it. Am I just misremembering?

They might have? It's not like this game has a short history at this point. I guess I just think they need to be careful straddling the line here. Right now, you can take almost any weapon and never need to hit the ammo bag if you're modestly careful with aiming. With some guns, you don't even really have to aim. That's probably too lenient. But I certainly don't want a setup where everyone is leaning heavily on ammo bags, especially since the ammo tree sucks so much.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 24, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

SAMARIX posted:

I agree with this.

Ammo pickup was set to 2%-3% of max ammo in the crimefest rebalance. It was patched to 3%-4% in December.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

ClonedPickle posted:

Dug around last bullet, found this: http://forums.lastbullet.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=14765

I kinda like how it looks for Houston and Jiro, actually, but not so much for the others.

poo poo, I actually kinda like the Sokol one, just gonna have to crack it open and gently caress around with GIMP or something to give him a goofy tie

thanks, man

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

They might have? It's not like this game has a short history at this point. I guess I just think they need to be careful straddling the line here. Right now, you can take almost any weapon and never need to hit the ammo bag if you're modestly careful with aiming. With some guns, you don't even really have to aim. That's probably too lenient. But I certainly don't want a setup where everyone is leaning heavily on ammo bags, especially since the ammo tree sucks so much.

Most pubbies are godawful shots and still run out of ammo. Wonder if they should just tie the ammo pickup rates to difficulty.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr Cheeto posted:

Ammo pickup was set to 2%-3% of max ammo in the crimefest rebalance. It was patched to 3%-4% in December.

And it's still lower than it was pre-Crimefest, which was at 3%-5%. Keep in mind though that most guns did not do nearly as much damage as they do now. They can stand to lower pickup (amongst other stats) on the extremely powerful guns, and on LMGs if I wanted to be honest. But absurd LMG pickups are great after 2 years of them having the worst pickup rates outside of the Thanatos.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The positions and values of skills are all subject to change, and some may even have their effects changed.

I don't really see the problem with Ex-President becoming the most optimal dodge-deck since it will still not be nearly as powerful as grinder or rogue in their heydays.

To claim that OVERKILL don't know what they are doing is really weird because Jules seemed to have a really good grasp about how the balance works in the game and how to work with it.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

watho posted:

To claim that OVERKILL don't know what they are doing is really weird because Jules seemed to have a really good grasp about how the balance works in the game and how to work with it.

Based on what? The fact that they're including skills like Feign Death, and even considering making them worse, suggests that they're not just trying to produce filler skills, but that they don't know what a "good skill" necessarily looks like. This is also evident in some skills/trees being substantially better than others. There are also contradictions in approaches to some skills. The main item I'm think of here is the damage boost to shotguns. Apparently that's a "boring" choice, but a damage buff to pistols isn't?

I agree that these revisions largely suggest a better grasp on balance, but I'm still not seeing a sort of overarching vision to hold everything together. And, on the whole, I'd argue that the changes here largely tilt the balance in the favor of players, when the game is already reasonably accessible.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

UnknownMercenary posted:

And it's still lower than it was pre-Crimefest, which was at 3%-5%. Keep in mind though that most guns did not do nearly as much damage as they do now. They can stand to lower pickup (amongst other stats) on the extremely powerful guns, and on LMGs if I wanted to be honest. But absurd LMG pickups are great after 2 years of them having the worst pickup rates outside of the Thanatos.
LMG pickup rate owns and I hope it never gets changed even though it probably will

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The main item I'm think of here is the damage boost to shotguns. Apparently that's a "boring" choice, but a damage buff to pistols isn't?

They never claimed that they just wanted to get rid of damage skills for shotguns though...

e: The exchange was the community members saying that straight up damage skills are boring and Jules agreeing and saying that he's seen a lot of people on the forums express the same concern and that he will definitely be looking into it.

watho fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 24, 2016

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Her mask is based on an Australian magpie, a pair of which are also on her tattoos.

I approve this decision, since Australian magpies are violent shitbirds that are idolized by Australian soccer hooligans.

She's probably a Collingwood (Magpies) supporter,

The average Collingwood supporter for reference:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
It would have been too on the nose if she had a rooster mask, rooster tattoo and was born in Sydney as well. How serendipitous that we got one anyway, from a completely unrelated source.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

UnknownMercenary posted:

You can only play in my lobbies when you've done 40 bags train heist on loud Deathwish. Otherwise :getout:

I did this but it was pre achievement and now no one will believe me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Skunkrocker posted:

I did this but it was pre achievement and now no one will believe me.

Well now its even easier to do than before so what's the hold up?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've done 40 bags train heist loud on DW solo. stand next to escape zone, throw grenade

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Feign death is definitely a trap skill, but lowering the chance of it working will make it less likely to throw you into custody.

It's a buff if you think about it.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

And if you don't take the skill at all, you save as many as eight points! What a bargain!

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
All I do is make stupid poo poo now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxLYUFUPu2Y

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Slide McGriffin posted:

i finally got a graphics card from this decade and holy poo poo is this like a different game. I was at 19FPS on lowest settings before, up to 70+ on highest and I can actually click cops now.

What are some cool and fun guns to use cause i've only been using high damage single shot guns because hitting second shots was hard :(

The AK7.62 is the best gun in the game.

e:

Wilko posted:

:frogsiren:

YET ANOTHER FAG fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 24, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Few people use the AK5 and it's a very good and fun gun. Pair a quadstack magazine with one of the fastest AR reloads and you're gonna have a good time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

I've done 40 bags train heist loud on DW solo. stand next to escape zone, throw grenade

Where's your two hour dickpunching video? :smuggo:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

What did you do with cloakers?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Cloakers don't charge/jump if there's only one player.

It's irrelevant though because the joke is Vox completed Train in stealth and only triggered the alarm seconds before escaping.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Cloakers don't charge/jump if there's only one player.

It's irrelevant though because the joke is Vox completed Train in stealth and only triggered the alarm seconds before escaping.
Oh right, that's doable in stealth. :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wilko posted:

How, what and when?

Specifics though - is the damage tied to the beat? It kinda seemed like it in the video.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
e: traded it. No clover pack for you!

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 25, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This was a neat achievement.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

Kikas posted:

How, what and when?

Specifics though - is the damage tied to the beat? It kinda seemed like it in the video.

It's done with a specially compiled version of BLT with audio playback and basic analysis stuff in it. It loads a bunch of songs based on the magazine mod you take and switches songs and times every reload.
There are 3 damage dealers, the explosions, which are triggered by big kicks from drums, use the size of the kick as their damage and range. The laser deals constant damage based off of the average level of the high frequencies (first 1/10th of the graph in the corner), but it's only enough to really weaken enemies. And there's a super short range invisible flamethrower effect which doesn't deal any damage, but stuns enemies for a few seconds, the range gets longer based on the lower frequencies (last 1/2 of the graph).
The visual effects are done through screwing with the colour grading, chromatic aberration, and contrast through a bunch of made up numbers and the average "volume", which is the thicker bar at the end of the graph.

tldr; :words: *kaboom*

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
so which SR4 dubstep gun track does the most damage per second? :v:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wilko posted:

It's done with a specially compiled version of BLT with audio playback and basic analysis stuff in it. It loads a bunch of songs based on the magazine mod you take and switches songs and times every reload.
There are 3 damage dealers, the explosions, which are triggered by big kicks from drums, use the size of the kick as their damage and range. The laser deals constant damage based off of the average level of the high frequencies (first 1/10th of the graph in the corner), but it's only enough to really weaken enemies. And there's a super short range invisible flamethrower effect which doesn't deal any damage, but stuns enemies for a few seconds, the range gets longer based on the lower frequencies (last 1/2 of the graph).
The visual effects are done through screwing with the colour grading, chromatic aberration, and contrast through a bunch of made up numbers and the average "volume", which is the thicker bar at the end of the graph.

tldr; :words: *kaboom*

I need this pleeeeeease release it. It dosent even have to have the laser gun, just the color and music effects

Basticle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 24, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

More like literally :pcgaming:

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Plan Z posted:

More like literally :pcgaming:

Ah yes, that's the frog I was looking for.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

I don't see how this is anything but perfect. I'm just wondering if the audio and visual effects are also apparent to other players.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Wilko posted:

What music are you using for that thing? I almost want the playlist more than the weapon itself.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Hobold posted:

What music are you using for that thing? I almost want the playlist more than the weapon itself.

I think it's this one, but it's definitely Dance With the Dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjNg-E8jX2M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

Basticle posted:

I need this pleeeeeease release it. It dosent even have to have the laser gun, just the color and music effects
I'll try get a version together that I can release, the problem will be that you'll need to setup your own music in lua files which can take quite a while.

ModeWondershot posted:

I don't see how this is anything but perfect. I'm just wondering if the audio and visual effects are also apparent to other players.
Unfortunately not, the music is loaded from wherever on your computer it is, it's not packaged into the game. Other people would also have to have the same music, with the same offsets, and have the mod installed to even begin to start networking it so that everybody gets the effects.

Hobold posted:

Big Bank uses Eyes of Madness and Watching You (and a bunch of others that don't get played) from here. And Nightclub is a bunch of boss themes from Metal Gear Rising.