Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Posters are unironically posting that Blight Town was good.

VEERY GOOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Farron Keep, Smouldering Lake, and Catacombs are all excellent, you mouth breathers.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This game is so great. But two major things I think most people can agree with.

We've got some serious series fatigue on this now. This is technically the fifth game in the same style that from software has done. This entry in the series has some great bosses and areas but still feels like an expansion pack to the other games. Bloodborne feels like a close spinoff and not something incredibly different and unique. I mean we've got an entire season of dlc to go through but I think after that, they need to remaster demon's and dark souls 1 so the entire series can be on ps4 and then try something much different after that.

And my second thing. I thought people were overreacting but yes I think straight swords are just a little too favored in this game. Seriously, start a new character and pick something non traditional like the shotel and check out how much your win ratio suffers from against straight sword users.

I'm not complaining and I can still win by playing smart, but the game engine seems to be... More tuned for long swords?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Melanion posted:

I'll be honest. I ended up dying twice trying to ballista the worm before giving up and using the sniper spot. As for the rest, I still favourably compared it to the skelly tombs above. This might have to do with my loadout, though, because Raw Estoc +6 with Great Magic Weapon chewed through absolutely everything down there and for whatever reason I one-shot Tsorig and then died four times to the black knight on the bridge above him.

It's your loadout. Skeleton Hell becomes Skeleton Circus as soon as you figure out that the shattering mechanic from DS1 with strike weapons is back. As long as you get a single hit on any of the skeletons with a Mace or other strike weapon, you can infinitely stunlock them in a corner until they're dead.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Valley of Defilement is awful and the guilt-trip boss at the end doesn't really salvage it. Valley of Defilement made me look back at Blighttown and think to myself, "wow they really held back that time". Nothing excuses that level.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Died to Dragonslayer armour a bunch of times last night, got some sleep came back and beat it first time. :darksouls:

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Groovelord Neato posted:

running through the spitting statues was worse than all of farron keep.

This is correct.

Farron Keep is fine you barely spend any time in the swamp.

Valley of Defilement is the best one of those type of area by a mile though.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Vermain posted:

It's your loadout. Skeleton Hell becomes Skeleton Circus as soon as you figure out that the shattering mechanic from DS1 with strike weapons is back. As long as you get a single hit on any of the skeletons with a Mace or other strike weapon, you can infinitely stunlock them in a corner until they're dead.

This is awesome! For my NG+ run I was planning to reroll my stats and play as a holy knight with mace'n'miracles and the heaviest armour I could find.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Anyone else running off an SSD have some issues? Any time the game autosaves it stutters for a very brief moment. After like 70 hours I'm used to it and looking online I've seen people other places have a similar issue.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fact: any area that sucked to play through is actually really fun to invade people in. I'm happy that Valley of Defilement, farron swamp and Blighttown all exist. I don't think you've truly experienced every levels potential until you've done some invasions as well as play through it.

It's suspenseful being invaded or invading in the gutter.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Wow, I didn't expect the profaned capital to be a pushover.

Is it me or is that place basically where the Lordvessel is?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Farron keep would be better if they didn't hide useful stuff into every loving corner. It really overstays it's welcome when you're forced to crawl through the entire swamp for items.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Kanos posted:

Guard break attacks like the straight sword art R1 and the kick don't automatically break guards

I'm pretty sure SS art R1 breaks guards no matter what. Unless its a Greatshield.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

cheetah7071 posted:

Nameless King being a stumbling block I'm not really surprised by, but I'm astonished people are saying Champion Gundyr is a wall. I killed him in like 4-5 tries

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I had 40 vigor by that point

Well yes, pumping VIG sky-high is how you beat the game...yes.

Tracula posted:

I will never, ever beat Ancient Dragon on principal alone and it's the only Souls boss I can say that about. I seriously think it's the worst fight in the entire series. While Bed of Chaos and some gimmick bosses are bad I can understand they wanted to do a gimmick. gently caress Ancient Dragon so goddamn hard forever, I have no idea what they were thinking with it.

In SOTFS it no longer one-shots you, now it's just annoying.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Dragonslayer Armor was a fun fight, not terribly hard though. First try I immediately rolled off the bridge not realizing that its swings would destroy the railings. Won the next try with zero estus left. I don't know about the previous games but the estus flask seems far too strong in this one, you rapidly wind up with absurd amounts of extra hp between bone and estus shards as well as how fast it takes effect. None of the slower bosses feel particularly dangerous since you can just roll backwards a few times and recover your entire health bar in moments.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Is there another Pyromancy focus that has better scaling than the Pyromancy Flame? C/C at +10 seems a little weak to me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Monomythian posted:

I'm pretty sure SS art R1 breaks guards no matter what. Unless its a Greatshield.

Not true. That attack and the kick just deal higher-than-normal stamina damage. So any shield with sufficient stability will tank those. There are even plenty of PVE enemies that can resist a single kick or that attack and require a followup to break guard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sandoz posted:

Is there another Pyromancy focus that has better scaling than the Pyromancy Flame? C/C at +10 seems a little weak to me.

It's plenty strong and (with great chaos fire orb) trivializes most of the bosses in the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

This game is so great. But two major things I think most people can agree with.

We've got some serious series fatigue on this now. This is technically the fifth game in the same style that from software has done. This entry in the series has some great bosses and areas but still feels like an expansion pack to the other games. Bloodborne feels like a close spinoff and not something incredibly different and unique. I mean we've got an entire season of dlc to go through but I think after that, they need to remaster demon's and dark souls 1 so the entire series can be on ps4 and then try something much different after that.

i could keep playing new entries until the heat death of the universe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

kikkelivelho posted:

Farron keep would be better if they didn't hide useful stuff into every loving corner. It really overstays it's welcome when you're forced to crawl through the entire swamp for items.

I feel like DS3 in general will be a lot more fun once I've got a complete playthrough under my belt and I know that I can ignore 95% of the poo poo in the game and just bee-line to upgrade materials and the one or two weapons I want instead of picking up everything because I want to be able to experiment with it all.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

Farron Keep, Smouldering Lake, and Catacombs are all excellent, you mouth breathers.

Farron keep was meh

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

catacombs are worth it for how hard i laughed at the skeleball the first time i saw it

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

Anyone else running off an SSD have some issues? Any time the game autosaves it stutters for a very brief moment. After like 70 hours I'm used to it and looking online I've seen people other places have a similar issue.

I'm on a HDD but have the same thing. I barely notice it now, it definitely hasn't ever gotten me killed or anything. It'd be nice if they fixed it though.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i could keep playing new entries until the heat death of the universe.

Yeah, this is a pretty specific niche that has been attempted by other companies like maybe twice to zero success, so I say keep on keepin' on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nioh looks it has potential at least.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I wish there were a game like this which had good RPG mechanics to go with its good core gameplay loop.

e: Or that had zero RPG mechanics at all, that would also be okay.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So, I think I've skipped something. Or something. I've progressed to two separate bosses (Deacons and Abyss Watchers, but haven't gotten past either of them yet. Just going back and clearing other areas for now, and then I get back to Firelink and some guy's shown up on the top level apologizing for what he did to me. I'm pretty sure, though, that I haven't actually run into him yet. I forgave him, and now he's selling me Siegfred's armor. I know onionbro's in the well, so there's that. Point is, did this guy just show up early or what?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Does NK have any elemental weaknesses? I'm playing a faith/dex build using a buffed drakeblood greatsword (so cool! One of my favorites in DS2 and it hits like a truck in this game, too) and I can simply destroy the first phase, I think my best is killing the dragon in 5 hits, including a critical, but my sword goes from doing 600-700 to a little over 200 in the second phase, which is not nearly good enough for its speed. I obviously need a faster weapon for this fight, but I don't know whether it's better to go for fire or dark damage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LaserShark posted:

So, I think I've skipped something. Or something. I've progressed to two separate bosses (Deacons and Abyss Watchers, but haven't gotten past either of them yet. Just going back and clearing other areas for now, and then I get back to Firelink and some guy's shown up on the top level apologizing for what he did to me. I'm pretty sure, though, that I haven't actually run into him yet. I forgave him, and now he's selling me Siegfred's armor. I know onionbro's in the well, so there's that. Point is, did this guy just show up early or what?

That's Patches and he should have either locked you in a room at Firelink with a 'certain death' drop or messed around with some gates in the Cathedral but it's possible the triggers got broken or you didn't notice the second one.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Does NK have any elemental weaknesses? I'm playing a faith/dex build using a buffed drakeblood greatsword (so cool! One of my favorites in DS2 and it hits like a truck in this game, too) and I can simply destroy the first phase, I think my best is killing the dragon in 5 hits, including a critical, but my sword goes from doing 600-700 to a little over 200 in the second phase, which is not nearly good enough for its speed. I obviously need a faster weapon for this fight, but I don't know whether it's better to go for fire or dark damage.

he is critically weak to rolling

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LaserShark posted:

Patches can show up at either the Cathedral if you activate the mechanism that creates the bridge leading to the Rosaria's Fingers covenant, or if you go into the Firelink Tower after unlocking the main doors of the Cathedral past the aforementioned bridge. While you're theoretically supposed to talk to him, he'll still show up and apologize if you hit the triggers to make him show up, even if you never speak to him at all.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Malcolm XML posted:

he is critically weak to rolling

oh now I know thanks

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Vermain posted:

Patches can show up at either the Cathedral if you activate the mechanism that creates the bridge leading to the Rosaria's Fingers covenant, or if you go into the Firelink Tower after unlocking the main doors of the Cathedral past the aforementioned bridge. While you're theoretically supposed to talk to him, he'll still show up and apologize if you hit the triggers to make him show up, even if you never speak to him at all.

That explains it, then. Time to save up for some armor, I suppose.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

oh now I know thanks

no amount of elemental buffs are gonna work if you keep getting hit so dodge around his bigass swings and plink him

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
How the HELL are you supposed to deal with the big sickle skeletons? They dodge around a ton and their attacks go through my 100% block shield.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
What are the chances one of the dlc packs will bring back the giant dual wield shields from 2? I really really miss those things. :smith:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

no amount of elemental buffs are gonna work if you keep getting hit so dodge around his bigass swings and plink him

Actually, I kinda figured that part out on my own already, thanks for the advice though.

If you're not interested in helping someone play the game, consider answering the question properly for science. I'll end up beating the rear end in a top hat boss one way or another, but however difficult the way I end up doing it turns out to be, I'll still be curious if the fucker has an elemental weakness.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 24, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a question from someone who hasn't played the previous games: is Yorshka a returning character? Her whole character is pretty mysterious.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

jon joe posted:

How the HELL are you supposed to deal with the big sickle skeletons? They dodge around a ton and their attacks go through my 100% block shield.

requires zero upgrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Here's a question from someone who hasn't played the previous games: is Yorshka a returning character? Her whole character is pretty mysterious.

Nope. She bears a lot of resemblance to an old character, though.