Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

Eh, you can linger on. its not like they can take all of you at once. You should probably try to trade for a map from Oman so you can get some alliances going with the contries around the ottos that you cant see.

edit: you should conquer southwards to try to get away from them lol

I'm gonna keep playing and probably relinquish a bunch of my northern territories and keep pushing south instead. I'm going to make a kingdom in South African and monopolize the slave trade to Asia. Just taking a break for the weekend, that was a lot of eu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

what's the EU end date? I've never actually reached it. I've only reached the end in CKII once before eu4 came out because I wanted to carry a file over but I took over the entire world so it wasn't actually gonna be fun so I wound up not transferring it lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

what's the EU end date? I've never actually reached it. I've only reached the end in CKII once before eu4 came out because I wanted to carry a file over but I took over the entire world so it wasn't actually gonna be fun so I wound up not transferring it lol

1820something iirc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

game ends on Jan 1 1821

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I can't wait for hoi4 its gonna own

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

1820something iirc

real pros mod it to 1836 so they can get full immersion with the Victoria 2 save-game converter

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

does anyone like victoria? I hear it's a pain in the rear end

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

victoria 2 owns if you're just the right amount of autistic

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
victoria 2 has a lot of very cool ideas that never really come together into a good game. it's worth experiencing, imo, but if you want a good game on the subject, pick up imperialism ii from gog - it scratches the same 'industrialization' itches while also being much better, imo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

colonization and the tech tree are both really badly handled in vicky 2

like, some parts of north america won't be colonized until halfway through the period because you haven't discovered the technology of "oppress natives really super good" and technology is tied to years

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

corn in the bible posted:

colonization and the tech tree are both really badly handled in vicky 2

like, some parts of north america won't be colonized until halfway through the period because you haven't discovered the technology of "oppress natives really super good" and technology is tied to years

afaik the only bits of north america that aren't immediately colonizeable are manitoba and saskatchewan.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

more significantly though is it's not as fun to play v2 as a small country since so much of the game's mechanics are based on who the powers are.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i preordered stellaris today

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

more significantly though is it's not as fun to play v2 as a small country since so much of the game's mechanics are based on who the powers are.

It's really godawful if you can't manage to get to be one of the top 8 and stay there. I love the Good poo poo where you get sphered by France or something and suddenly your income is -thousands of pounds a day because you have to buy all your goods tarriff free from your spherer and for some reason taxes in this game don't pay jack poo poo regardless of laws, pops, etc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

It's really godawful if you can't manage to get to be one of the top 8 and stay there. I love the Good poo poo where you get sphered by France or something and suddenly your income is -thousands of pounds a day because you have to buy all your goods tarriff free from your spherer and for some reason taxes in this game don't pay jack poo poo regardless of laws, pops, etc.

well running a country is pretty hard

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The pop system is really cool. The economy is cool literally only in theory. EU4 with pops would scratch the Vicky 2 itch.

Vicky 2 uses the old style infamy system and manual relations improvement. So that's terrible.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Victoria 2 was my first map game, and the first thing I did after installing it was start a game as Travancore :suicide:

The pop system was great, insanely unique and no other map game's ever captured all the possibilities that system made possible. I'm really glad Stellaris is using a version of it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found it very hard to enjoy Vicky... The most annoying part is how the USA starts off with a bunch of reforms so they get like 500 immigrants a month from the beginning of the game and its almost impossible to catch up as any other nation without purposefully setting off tons of revolts.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

despite being a critical part of paradox's turn away from event based Gameplay to dynamic systems Vctoria 2 doesn't really have all that much variety. Like the first twenty or so years of every campaign always plays out the same.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i liked events....

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i liked events....

EU4 is the perfect blend of events and dynamic systems (and dynamic events). CK2 is pretty much 1 big dynamic system but people seem to enjoy it despite there only being like 4 event chains in the whole game, most of which are ridiculously rare.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ck2 is cool

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This feeling ftw.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Last year we tried playing this over in The Game Room. We didn't manage to finish even one turn.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699480
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699629
(requires archives)

It was a whole lot of bookkeeping for little gain. It was interesting to see which pieces of the board game survived through the various iterations of Paradox's EU. For example, you can clearly see the historical events in EU2 were still close to what the board game did. A lot of the combat mechanics still have traces of the board game left in it, such as the Fire/Shock distinction, different troops over time for nations/cultures, leader pips, parts of the siege mechanics etc.

I know it all too well.

I'm never doing that crap again!!! That gently caress is probably impossible to play even irl

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

EU4 is the perfect blend of events and dynamic systems (and dynamic events). CK2 is pretty much 1 big dynamic system but people seem to enjoy it despite there only being like 4 event chains in the whole game, most of which are ridiculously rare.

darkest hour for me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

darkest hour for me

im hoping hoi4 recaptures how good darkest hour is b/c that game is so loving good

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Larry Parrish posted:

I found it very hard to enjoy Vicky... The most annoying part is how the USA starts off with a bunch of reforms so they get like 500 immigrants a month from the beginning of the game and its almost impossible to catch up as any other nation without purposefully setting off tons of revolts.

isn't that the whole purpose of paradox mapgames? like in V2 everything can be influenced by "ok but what will the brits do next", or how in EU4 you have to always fear the big blue blob

forced US immigration is basically the environment, or the infrastructure, to your funhaving

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
All my subjects are way more powerful than me yet somehow haven't revolted

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Real Foogla posted:

isn't that the whole purpose of paradox mapgames? like in V2 everything can be influenced by "ok but what will the brits do next", or how in EU4 you have to always fear the big blue blob

forced US immigration is basically the environment, or the infrastructure, to your funhaving
In EU4 you can play a weak country and still, if you do it right, reach America. In Vicky 2 if you're a weak country you're literally not allowed to do a bunch of the basic game mechanics.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Besides I understand that the USA starts out big boy in the West... That's obvious. What's not fun is how you have to freaking game the revolt system to get your country how you want it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm never doing that crap again!!! That gently caress is probably impossible to play even irl
Yeah, it was hardly playable with all the electronic aids we used. It was interesting to see the game in action, but I consider my curiosity sated, too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

To me Vicky 2 is like Pride of Nations: interesting in concept, but a nightmare to play

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EU4 is on sale for $10, should I buy it if I've never played one of these games more complicated than Civilization.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna blow my loving lid if that DLC I bought two days is 2 dollars right now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I'm gonna blow my loving lid if that DLC I bought two days is 2 dollars right now.

get a refund for it and buy it again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

GMG has a huge Paradox sale right now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get a refund for it and buy it again

Can't refund DLC

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i loving hope stellaris is good, but if not at least we've got hoi4 coming up the next month

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 25, 2016

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

EU4 is on sale for $10, should I buy it if I've never played one of these games more complicated than Civilization.

its fuckin amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

eu4 was m y first mapgame other thn like ten hours of ck1 and it blew my fuckin mind