Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
His name is nanaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

iastudent posted:

Getting in my Vita copy of Stranger of Sword City tomorrow (thanks NISA store!). Digging the art style from the screenshots.
Also apparently it's getting a Steam version in June with custom portrait support

It was a PC game to begin with. I mean, I can't say for certain there aren't improvements from the Vita version they're backporting, but it's a translation, not a port.

(Technically I suppose the 360 version came out first by about a month or something but anyway.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like Red XIII ng really hard to pass off as a human on the boat.

The remake better include this.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

exquisite tea posted:

I think it told a much more focused story than most other FFs and was super ambitious but good lord it's a hard game to look at now. Im glad it is getting a remake now. I also hated everything to do with Red XIII but I'm not sure how much of a gaming sacrilege that is.

I'm surprised that a lot of people seem to think it looks hideous now. I think it holds up really well, particularly in battle

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Paperhouse posted:

I'm surprised that a lot of people seem to think it looks hideous now. I think it holds up really well, particularly in battle

The lego look is part of the charm, I think.-

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Red XIII is a cool dog/lion thing, what's not to like?

I just kind of hate all magical child type characters in RPGs. Chaos from Xenosaga, Cole from DA:I, there's just something about that particular archetype that always makes me groan.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Red XIII's arc was kind of a big side-track and I didn't really think it illuminated much on the greater story. The whole thing about his tribe and father and all that didn't really hit home because he was a character that just randomly showed up having no connections to anyone other than being thrown in a capsule with aerith for a few brief moments. I feel the same way about Yuffie.

All of the other characters are pretty soundly tied in to the overall plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh? Red XIII's plot was pretty central to the "humans are loving up the planet' themes the story was so heavily about. He both represents basically the only non-human viewpoint in the party and is an excuse for the game to bring up its environmentalism themes.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

thark posted:

It was a PC game to begin with. I mean, I can't say for certain there aren't improvements from the Vita version they're backporting, but it's a translation, not a port.

(Technically I suppose the 360 version came out first by about a month or something but anyway.)

I wasn't aware there was a PC version to begin with, but I guess with the recent RPG releases on Vita that's not exactly a surprise (Operation Abyss was the same way). I do find it interesting though that, according to that article, it's also on XB1 but there doesn't seem to be a PS3/PS4 version as of yet.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Eh? Red XIII's plot was pretty central to the "humans are loving up the planet' themes the story was so heavily about. He both represents basically the only non-human viewpoint in the party and is an excuse for the game to bring up its environmentalism themes.

I guess it just didn't seem like much new information was brought about. The whole AVALANCHE heavy portion of the game at the very beginning covered all of that at length.

e. It's been a while since I played it last, but my takeaway from the Cosmos canyon arc was that it was focused mainly on RedXIII himself and his fate/charge to help Cloud save the planet.

LegalPad fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 24, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LegalPad posted:

I guess it just didn't seem like much new information was brought about. The whole AVALANCHE heavy portion of the game at the very beginning covered all of that at length.

The word "Lifestream" isn't even introduced until you get to Cosmo Canyon. AVALANCHE knows that Shinra is killing the planet but the details and why it matters (and thus setting up Sephiroth's entire Meteor plan) is handled there.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The word "Lifestream" isn't even introduced until you get to Cosmo Canyon. AVALANCHE knows that Shinra is killing the planet but the details and why it matters (and thus setting up Sephiroth's entire Meteor plan) is handled there.

They refer to it as the planets "lifeblood" and "life source" and know that Shinra is draining that source that will kill the planet. Like waaaay in the beginning of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LegalPad posted:

They refer to it as the planets "lifeblood" and "life source" and know that Shinra is draining that source that will kill the planet. Like waaaay in the beginning of the game.

Right, but the actual details and information are not something they're informed of. Just that draining Mako energy kills the planet. The details and specifications, which are extremely important to the plot, only come up in Cosmo Canyon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

iastudent posted:

I wasn't aware there was a PC version to begin with, but I guess with the recent RPG releases on Vita that's not exactly a surprise (Operation Abyss was the same way). I do find it interesting though that, according to that article, it's also on XB1 but there doesn't seem to be a PS3/PS4 version as of yet.

MS bought exclusivity but let them do a Vita port since they don't have a handheld

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Dark Falz does have a point to exist in the story, but you're right in that there really isn't any lead up to him at all. I think in PSG1 there's a couple of throwaway lines throughout the game hinting at there being something up, but that's about it.

But also to be fair, PS1 is a Master System game and there's extremely little story progression of any sort throughout it.

But wasn't his existence only made meaningful by stuff in the sequels. It's been so long since I played it, and I very well could've missed some stuff, but I don't remember any dialogue regarding him or even hinting at the existence of someone besides the main guy. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Didn't see a Bravely Second thread, otherwise I'd ask this there.

I have the game, is it worth playing the demo first? I know it's supposed to be content not in the game, but is it actually fun? The first one's demo was just dumb fetch quests in dungeons from the game.
Is it actually new content, or like the previous one.

Also, is the carryover stuff demo exclusive, or is it something dumb like a longsword.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FanaticalMilk posted:

But wasn't his existence only made meaningful by stuff in the sequels. It's been so long since I played it, and I very well could've missed some stuff, but I don't remember any dialogue regarding him or even hinting at the existence of someone besides the main guy. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The main thing is there are a few NPCs who mention how Lassic was cool and good for a long time before he became all awful. There's just little hints here and there but nothing major. Lassic mentions Dark Falz by name when you finally get to him.

So no you aren't wrong really. The story could have ended at Lassic if they wanted it to, Dark Falz exists just as a twist that there was a horrible evil thing behind it all, and it means a lot more in the context of the series as a whole than it does just from the first game.

I think in my mind it just doesn't seem particularly out there because as I said, there's basically 0 actual plot to PS1 anyway. In the case of something like FF9 there's a fair amount of plot going on, and Necron only gets a passing mention half way through the game (where after you promptly forget about him), so it seems a lot more jarring.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hackan Slash posted:

I have the game, is it worth playing the demo first? I know it's supposed to be content not in the game, but is it actually fun? The first one's demo was just dumb fetch quests in dungeons from the game.

Also, is the carryover stuff demo exclusive, or is it something dumb like a longsword.

There is a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763968

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LegalPad posted:

Red XIII's arc was kind of a big side-track and I didn't really think it illuminated much on the greater story. The whole thing about his tribe and father and all that didn't really hit home because he was a character that just randomly showed up having no connections to anyone other than being thrown in a capsule with aerith for a few brief moments. I feel the same way about Yuffie.

All of the other characters are pretty soundly tied in to the overall plot.

Barret has become one of my favorite characters. His arc is very central to the themes of the game and is well-told and Barret himself is just a pretty good character once you look passed the Mr. T stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FanaticalMilk posted:

There was a dream where you fought Dark Falz's face somewhere in the middle of the plot. Which given how bare-bones the plot is makes it a ton of foreshadowing.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zereth posted:

There was a dream where you fought Dark Falz's face somewhere in the middle of the plot. Which given how bare-bones the plot is makes it a ton of foreshadowing.

Wow I totally forgot about that even. And it happens immediately after you first meet the governor, who later gets possessed by Dark Falz too. DF possessing authority figures is kind of a theme for the first 3 games in general. Maybe 2 games depending on where you want to draw the line with him possessing Orakio's brother in 3.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hackan Slash posted:

Carryovers are all consumables if I recall. I mostly skipped the demo. There are some character interactions you wouldn't see otherwise but the game proper sort of recaps what you need to know.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
if i wanna play one of the older Dragon Quest games which is the dopest? is it 5 like i'm led to believe?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To the person asking about Necron in FF IX, apparently the official explanation is that he's an entity from the Zero World who was summoned by Kuja's own fear of mortality and his hatred for other life forms. Another translation of Zero World would be Void, so basically he's the Cloud of Darkness to Kuja's Xande.

So yeah, he's basically an entity who came from nowhere and he's not connected to the Iifa Tree at all despite some thinking he's the "other side" of Soul Cage.

Million Ghosts posted:

if i wanna play one of the older Dragon Quest games which is the dopest? is it 5 like i'm led to believe?

They're all good. Except 2, which is still pretty good but hard. 5 is the one most people seem to like the most though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Million Ghosts posted:

I like 7 but I think I'm in the minority. 5 is also good, bonus points if you can play the PS2 version.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
7 is the longest game i have ever played where nothing happens. and if i'm playin' DQ i'm doin' it the old fashioned pixelly as hell way.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The DS version of 5 is straight up better than the SNES version though!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The DS version of 5 is straight up better than the SNES version though!

Yeah the DS version of 5 is fantastic.

:allears: Deborah

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Verranicus posted:

I like 7 but I think I'm in the minority. 5 is also good, bonus points if you can play the PS2 version.

DS version has Debora though!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

PS2 version has chibi style 3D graphics and a symphonic soundtrack akin to the western release of Dragon Quest 8, DS version has an extra character and potential wife. Both are better than the SNES version so pick either one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Wow I totally forgot about that even. And it happens immediately after you first meet the governor, who later gets possessed by Dark Falz too. DF possessing authority figures is kind of a theme for the first 3 games in general. Maybe 2 games depending on where you want to draw the line with him possessing Orakio's brother in 3.

Then in 4 he possesses a kickin' rad mustache!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Then in 4 he possesses a kickin' rad mustache!

yeah solid snake is pretty cool

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This loving cutscene with Ominas and Artemia is like half an hour long, goddamn.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wow Chaz, you sure are super cool and strong! Oh hey don't mind all these dark/death techs I know, how did those get there haha anyway

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

This is probably the point where anyone who likes JRPGs in Europe should just give up and get US accounts on all their consoles and handhelds if they haven't already. (That and it saves on the import tax.)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh, that's pretty bad. Seems like being bought by Sega didn't affect game dev but business relations took a hit instead.
I'm curious, was there anything currently in the works? I don't recall SMT4 Apocalypse getting a Europe announcement...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How does Sega manage to keep loving things up like this?

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Exist Archive IS coming. October?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/724620735407214592

:D :D :D

Unexpected, awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who is Wario 64 and why does he know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

ImpAtom posted:

Who is Wario 64 and why does he know?

He's saying stuff I want to hear right now so I believe him.
According to folk on neogaf he works for GameStop.

Gematsu.com is reporting on stuff they're getting from him, so I will tend to trust it for now. :colbert: