Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Okay, thanks. I figured as much, but I'm slowly going through all the movies before civil war comes out and it seemed worth checking on.

I can assure you, all the MCU comics Marvel has published are universally trash and that's including the Captain America one shot from last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The SHIELD comic just before Secret Wars wasn't itself in the MCU, but took like everything from Agents of SHIELD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

The SHIELD comic just before Secret Wars wasn't itself in the MCU, but took like everything from Agents of SHIELD.

The new version is even worse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

I can assure you, all the MCU comics Marvel has published are universally trash and that's including the Captain America one shot from last week.

I will make sure to avoid them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

It feels like Ewing is gonna be given the keys to the kingdom like Hickman was. Everything he writes is fantastic.
This is a Good Thing.

Jedi posted:

This makes me sad because I'm actually enjoying it. It's not perfect or mindblowingly good or anything like that, but it's solidly entertaining.
The thing is though, by making it specifically all about Spider-Men, you're inherently limiting the whole thing when you compare it to, say, Exiles. That was willing to harvest from all aspects of marvel continuity - Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four - and you had a mix of characters with different powers and skillsets. As opposed to the Web Warriors, who all have more-or-less the same powerset (and to a lesser extent the same skillset). It's just not as interesting. And it kind of illustrates a team of alternate-universe Spider-Men, in and of itself kind of has a limited shelf life, especially when there's already a bunch of different Spider-titles that all have the more popular Spider-folk. It's like that issue of Exiles with the team that was all Wolverines. Spider-Verse was a good idea (on paper, if not in execution) for a story with a fixed ending - but making an ongoing series? That's not really feasible.

Believe me, I wanted Web Warriors to be good and have some legs, I really did. If only to get something halfway decent for Spider-Girl out of Spider-Verse (other than the Frenz/Defalco stories - which let's be honest were bandaids).

I'm kind of wondering how Web Warriors is going to handle (Spider-Women/solicitation spoilers) Spider-Gwen losing her powers - is it even going to come up? That might be an issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

This is a Good Thing.

Goddamn right it is. I'd put money on the event revolving around Galactus.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

The thing is though, by making it specifically all about Spider-Men, you're inherently limiting the whole thing when you compare it to, say, Exiles. That was willing to harvest from all aspects of marvel continuity - Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four - and you had a mix of characters with different powers and skillsets. As opposed to the Web Warriors, who all have more-or-less the same powerset (and to a lesser extent the same skillset). It's just not as interesting. And it kind of illustrates a team of alternate-universe Spider-Men, in and of itself kind of has a limited shelf life, especially when there's already a bunch of different Spider-titles that all have the more popular Spider-folk. It's like that issue of Exiles with the team that was all Wolverines. Spider-Verse was a good idea (on paper, if not in execution) for a story with a fixed ending - but making an ongoing series? That's not really feasible.

Believe me, I wanted Web Warriors to be good and have some legs, I really did. If only to get something halfway decent for Spider-Girl out of Spider-Verse (other than the Frenz/Defalco stories - which let's be honest were bandaids).

I'm kind of wondering how Web Warriors is going to handle (Spider-Women/solicitation spoilers) Spider-Gwen losing her powers - is it even going to come up? That might be an issue.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. It does have a rather narrow focus, but I still enjoy it. I don't read very many superhero books these days, and that was one of the few I liked. If they rework it into a more general Exiles type book, I'd still enjoy it. I've always been a sucker for multiverse stories since Excalibur's Cross Time Caper from way back when.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rhyno posted:

:magical:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Don't remind me of Hunger :negative:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Well, he has to have some endgame for what the Ultimates did to big G, because no way is Marvel letting that be the status quo for the long term.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

So what you're all saying is that I can look forward to the return of Abraxas next year?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Civil War is the first line wide event post SW right? I'd bet Ewing gets a shot at the next one which we'll probably start hearing plans for right around when CW2 is wrapping up.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SHIELD is a fine book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Little Mac posted:

SHIELD is a fine book.

Was.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It definitely was better with Waid. The current run is alright, though admittedly there wasn't much time to do anything before Standoff started.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

He's seeded the idea of The Eternity War into several of his stories. I'd imagine that's what he's building to at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The handful of issues of SHIELD I read were pretty good, the first one where Fitz asks if Valkrye is the new Thor, then the issue were Simmons goes undercover as one of Kamala's teachers, and then the ones where everyone was being turned into Mindless ones and they hung out with Scarlet Witch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

The handful of issues of SHIELD I read were pretty good, the first one where Fitz asks if Valkrye is the new Thor, then the issue were Simmons goes undercover as one of Kamala's teachers, and then the ones where everyone was being turned into Mindless ones and they hung out with Scarlet Witch.

Those were written by Waid. The new writer is not as good as him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jedi posted:

I don't disagree with anything you've said. It does have a rather narrow focus, but I still enjoy it. I don't read very many superhero books these days, and that was one of the few I liked. If they rework it into a more general Exiles type book, I'd still enjoy it. I've always been a sucker for multiverse stories since Excalibur's Cross Time Caper from way back when.

What are your thoughts on Contest of Champions? Because that seems to be the other book doing multiverse stuff.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Mover posted:

So what you're all saying is that I can look forward to the return of Abraxas next year?

Probably Secundus

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

What are your thoughts on Contest of Champions? Because that seems to be the other book doing multiverse stuff.

I'm digging it. Much like Web Warriors, I don't think it's the best book Marvel is putting out right now, but it scratches an itch. Plus, seeing Jake Gallows pop up anywhere is always awesome.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I love how Al Ewing answers typical questions in a way that is intriguing, yet humble, while showing off his wonderful grasp of Marvel history and and how he looks at it and uses it:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26075/declaring_civil_war_new_avengers?linkId=23841744

:allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Metalshark posted:

I love how Al Ewing answers typical questions in a way that is intriguing, yet humble, while showing off his wonderful grasp of Marvel history and and how he looks at it and uses it:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26075/declaring_civil_war_new_avengers?linkId=23841744

quote:

He’s run with all kinds of shady characters in the past, from the Vanisher to Magneto to that guy with the green topknot.

That's the best reference to Gideon I've ever heard.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is this maybe a Jessica Jones teaser? Seems like the same style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's almost definitely David Mack's style, and he did all the Alias covers.

Only other thing I can think is Black Widow, but that seems a little bit of a stretch and doesn't seem to match up with what Waid and Samnee are doing.

EDIT: And glad I said 'almost' because CBR say it's actually Stuart Immonen, which I would not have guessed at ALL.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 26, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is giving me flashbacks to Daredevil: End of Days.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember them doing an Alias teaser in one of those Point One (or some other compilation) books a while back so yeah that's what I'd put my money on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The top piece reminds me of the scarlet witch's head gear thing.

The bottom reminds me of cap's shield.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering Jessica Jones (the TV show) got a Peabody I could definitely see this pushing Marvel to revive Alias. Probably retitle it "Jessica Jones", though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Al Ewing is on the most recent Jay and Miles, along with G WIllow Wilson, Kris Anka and the guy who draws deadpool. It's pretty fantastic.

site posted:

The top piece reminds me of the scarlet witch's head gear thing.

The bottom reminds me of cap's shield.

Cap finally gets a chance with Wanda that isn't a mental illness created illusion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I seem to remember them doing an Alias teaser in one of those Point One (or some other compilation) books a while back so yeah that's what I'd put my money on.

It was the 75th Anniversary thing, and it was certainly frustrating in that it was clearly setting up Jessica re-opening Alias, and then it went nowhere. (Well, until her guest spot in Hellcat next month, I guess)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

twistedmentat posted:

Al Ewing is on the most recent Jay and Miles, along with G WIllow Wilson, Kris Anka and the guy who draws deadpool. It's pretty fantastic.

He also apparently helped them whip up the new cold open for the latest episode (about Nextwave - the cold open, not the episode).

Although I feel it would be remiss to point out that he talks about how nobody has ever timed their schemes to coincide with a big Hero vs. Hero fight, when Jeremy Briggs did that exact thing in Avengers Academy during Avengers vs. X-Men. Some days it feels like I'm the only person on the planet sad enough to remember that book existed.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 26, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

He also apparently helped them whip up the new cold open for the latest episode (about Nextwave - the cold open, not the episode).

Although I feel it would be remiss to point out that he talks about how nobody has ever timed their schemes to coincide with a big Hero vs. Hero fight, when Jeremy Briggs did that exact thing in Avengers Academy during Avengers vs. X-Men. Some days it feels like I'm the only person on the planet sad enough to remember that book existed.

I liked that books but it all got ruined by forced tie ins to event after event until nothing was left but that Arcade bullshit.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm finding myself getting super excited for The Ultimates when it comes up.

It's starting to creep up over Thor as my favorite current book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nevvy Z posted:

I liked that books but it all got ruined by forced tie ins to event after event until nothing was left but that Arcade bullshit.

I dunno, they actually seemed to manage to do some good stuff with Fear Itself & Avengers vs. X-Men. I don't recall there being any other events they got tied in to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Ooooh. are we getting a new Quasar? I know I'm probably the only person that liked Quasar, but I hope so. When was the last time we saw the Quantum Bands?

Retailer forum leak confirms this is indeed Quasar.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That's random. I know he's got a couple of fans, but nobody's really done anything with him for a while. Are they just trying to set up a new cosmic book since Sean Ryan's Nova isn't doing well?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm going to guess it's a whole new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I think they've come out and said it will be a new character because obviously what Marvel needs is more Quasars and obviously a Kree lesbian doesn't have enough political cache.

• Locked thread