Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How soon will the new Game of Thrones be available on hbogo?

Typically HBO shows are meant to be available the minute they start airing. However, when the service has failed it's always been GoT premieres. Might be a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You'd think they would reinforce the servers or whatever for those nights. All those people who are anti-piracy but using HBO accounts they aren't paying for do a doozy on the thing.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Its already streaming here on the west coast, looks like it went up as soon as it started on the east coast

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Had no problems watching GoT at our friends house on their Now account tonight. Seems like the servers were good or we got lucky.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Palpek posted:

I noticed that Rick and Morty is now on Netflix and EVERYBODY should watch that.

This was such a tease :(

Hey, anyone know of any tricks or browser add-ons etc that would force Netflix to play in HD before starting? Netflix wants to play my show immediately which I can see being useful. But it often starts in a really low resolution, and if it took 5 more seconds to load, it would show up in HD. I usually have to reload it to get it in HD. Not a huge deal, but I'd rather it just take the extra time to load properly.

I've seen some old articles about right-clicking the video and changing some settings, but that doesn't seem to be an option for me over various browsers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You could just live with the first five seconds not being HD.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, it's not a huge deal. But it stays in low res for minutes if I don't hit reload. I'd rather live with 5 seconds of loading than 3 minutes of blocky, hard-to-watch video.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

You can change the streaming setting in your account preferences so it will only ever stream in high quality rather than adapting quality to suit. It'll use more data obviously but if you have unlimited data its not an issue.

I made the change not long ago and loading times haven't changed significantly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Captain Lavender posted:

This was such a tease :(

I'm VPNing to different regions and I didn't know it's not on the US one. It's on the German one though (in original and has English subtitles).

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I gave sling.com's 7 day free trial a shot. I don't have cable and really wanted to watch the newest season of The Walking Dead without waiting half a year for it to turn up on Netflix. Unfortunately, even though they claim to have it, they've got like... 2 episodes of The Talking Dead. That's it for TWD content. They were doing an HBO free preview for three days, so I at least got to watch the last two seasons of GoT free, but otherwise the UI is garbage and their content sucks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Speaking of HBONow, what shows are worth marathon-ing? We signed up to keep up with Game of Thrones, and will most likely cancel once it's over, but would like to get our money's worth while we do have it.

Already seen (and loved) The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, and Six Feet Under, just wondering about the more current stuff.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Crow Jane posted:

Speaking of HBONow, what shows are worth marathon-ing? We signed up to keep up with Game of Thrones, and will most likely cancel once it's over, but would like to get our money's worth while we do have it.

Already seen (and loved) The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, and Six Feet Under, just wondering about the more current stuff.

The Leftovers is one of the best shows on TV. First season is good, second season is GREAT. Veep is great, Silicon Valley is great. True Detective, the 2nd season gets mixed reactions. I liked it a lot but I think that's in part because it reminds me of 80s neo-noir, in the best way. I enjoy Last Week Tonight but IDK if you really need to go back in time, all of their main stories are on YouTube.

I need to check out Togetherness but I'm a sucker for the Duplass bros. I liked the first episode though.

Carnivale and Rome get a lot of love too.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Leftovers is one of the best shows on TV. First season is good, second season is GREAT. Veep is great, Silicon Valley is great. True Detective, the 2nd season gets mixed reactions. I liked it a lot but I think that's in part because it reminds me of 80s neo-noir, in the best way. I enjoy Last Week Tonight but IDK if you really need to go back in time, all of their main stories are on YouTube.

I need to check out Togetherness but I'm a sucker for the Duplass bros. I liked the first episode though.

Carnivale and Rome get a lot of love too.

I would say Rome, Veep, Silicon Valley, the first 2 seasons of True Blood, and the first season of True Detective are all very much worth a watch.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Deadwood and Mr Show

Oh also Mr Show is coming to HBO streaming starting tomorrow http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/whats-new-on-hbo-may-2016.html

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Crow Jane posted:

Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, Angels in America, True Detective Season 1 (season 2, if you're nasty), Bored to Death

If you want to be grossed out: Real Sex

If you're a total d-bag: Vice, Entourage

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Deadite posted:

Deadwood and Mr Show

Oh also Mr Show is coming to HBO streaming starting tomorrow http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/whats-new-on-hbo-may-2016.html

Mr. Show is loving great and I rewatch it on the regular.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Cool, thanks guys. Probably gonna start with Silicon Valley and The Leftovers, a lot of the older shows are already on Prime. I'm hesitant about season two of True Detective; I loved season one, but something about Colin Farrell really bugs me even if the thing he's in is otherwise okay.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just watched Unbranded on Netflix after seeing a short version of it at the Banff Film Festival tour. It was a pretty interesting show with a lot of beautiful scenery, I highly recommend it!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked Brink on HBONow. Tim Robins and Jack Black dealing with a middle East conflict that's escalating to a nuclear incident very quickly.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just watched some big bad beetleborgs on netflix just to see how bad it really was and holy gently caress child me had zero taste.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Len posted:

I liked Brink on HBONow. Tim Robins and Jack Black dealing with a middle East conflict that's escalating to a nuclear incident very quickly.

The Brink was great and it completely blows that they went back and cancelled it after initially renewing it for a second season.

Also gonna add my support for Silicon Valley, Veep, Rome and Bored to Death; you can't go wrong with any of those.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
all some of season 2 Rick and Morty is up on adult swim's website.
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty
E: Well that sucks, now I watched them out of order.

Quaint Quail Quilt has a new favorite as of 03:13 on May 2, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

galahan posted:

all some of season 2 Rick and Morty is up on adult swim's website.
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty
E: Well that sucks, now I watched them out of order.

When I tried before, the player would crash eleven minutes in, no matter what.
I tried, against my better judgement, Internet Explorer and it worked.
I felt so dirty.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Inzombiac posted:

When I tried before, the player would crash eleven minutes in, no matter what.
I tried, against my better judgement, Internet Explorer and it worked.
I felt so dirty.

I felt dirty because ublock/ghostery in Firefox made for no adverts and cost them money, although I did end up buying the remaining 5 episodes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Band of Robbers on netflix was really good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Binged S1 of Bosch and I can't decide if I hate it or like it. If you fed every cop script from the 70s, 80s, and 90s into a computer and asked it to write a script, this is exactly what it would spit out. So every scene feels like a rerun. There are moments in every episode where I feel like turning off the show. That said, it's really well done rerun and Welliver owns the character.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

4 episodes into Lady Dynamite and I'm really digging it. Hurwitz is able to nail some of the energy and dialogue style that made Arrested Development so fun, but the structure of the episodes and the surreal elements are AMAZING.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Vice on HBO is really good

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Bloodline season 2 is coming out on Friday, so if you want to watch/rewatch season 1 (and omg you should), the time is now!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I watched the first season of Agents of SHIELD while house-sitting, and quite liked it. Not really digging the second season, which seems to be the opposite of most peoples opinions.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Haerc posted:

I watched the first season of Agents of SHIELD while house-sitting, and quite liked it. Not really digging the second season, which seems to be the opposite of most peoples opinions.

It's a fairly drastic shift in tone. I like both for different reasons.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Bloodline season 2 is coming out on Friday, so if you want to watch/rewatch season 1 (and omg you should), the time is now!

Just finished watching the first season and I enjoyed it. Don't really know how to discuss it without spoilers, but the flashbacks/flash forwards were super frustrating. You see the same events chopped up into little pieces over and over and it's like, "OK, we get it, plot twists ahoy," and never (IIRC) see the complete events in chronological sequence.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I couldn't get into Bloodline. I couldn't give a poo poo about some rich family's problems when there was nothing really at stake and there was no hook so I stopped watching.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Palpek posted:

I couldn't get into Bloodline. I couldn't give a poo poo about some rich family's problems when there was nothing really at stake and there was no hook so I stopped watching.

It doesn't stop being that, so you probably chose right. It takes like... 6 episodes for the plot to pick up, which isn't a good recommendation for any show.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

RNG posted:

Just finished watching the first season and I enjoyed it. Don't really know how to discuss it without spoilers, but the flashbacks/flash forwards were super frustrating. You see the same events chopped up into little pieces over and over and it's like, "OK, we get it, plot twists ahoy," and never (IIRC) see the complete events in chronological sequence.
Yeah, I almost never rewatch shows, but I knew when I finished S1 that I would have to.

Palpek posted:

I couldn't give a poo poo about some rich family's problems
Sounds like you shoulda identified with Danny ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Holy poo poo you guys, Jurassic Park!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ninjahedgehog posted:

It's pretty good.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

John Big Booty posted:

Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, Angels in America, True Detective Season 1 (season 2, if you're nasty), Bored to Death

If you want to be grossed out: Real Sex

If you're a total d-bag: Vice, Entourage

was dead like me on hbo? that was really good imo. it was cancelled unfairly early though

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ninjahedgehog posted:

All three, actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!