Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not saying Palpatine could kill Windu at any moment, only that Palpatine is only momentarily helpless as a result of Windu's decision to execute him. While Windu has no intention if keeping Palpatine alive, there is no situation at that point where he can even do so. If the idea is to incapacitate him, then Windu is not yet at that point seeing as he immediately kills Windu once he's disarmed (hah). If the point is to stop and demand he comply, well thats kind of silly considering what we now know, and considering that they did that in the first place; we're at the "or else" part.

Since you bring up traditional films, in this scenario the hero would go "I shant kill this helpless knave!", then said Helpless Knave pulls out a concealed weapon as the hero leaves, and the hero turns around and kills him (in Virtuous Noble Self Defense). Windu is incapable of doing this as a result of the scenario in question, and the end results would have been exactly the same.

Windu was wrong to take the law into his own hands and go to "arrest" Palpatine to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

At that point Palpatine has already won. Windu and the Jedi should never have let it get to that point and it's far too late for anything good to happen in that room.

I agree, like the RLM review itself said: there were plenty of heroic and just ways to foil Palpatine beforehand. I'm just saying that Windu didn't make a mistake in this scenario: it was try to execute the geriatric lightning rod, or die.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Toilet Mouth posted:

Windu was wrong to take the law into his own hands and go to "arrest" Palpatine to begin with.

He had evidence that Palpatine was manipulating both sides; theres nothing substantial to support the idea that the Jedi would not arrest him in a civil fashion.

As for whether or not he took the law into his own hands: Jedi in the Republic fulfill the role of a standing army, lawful negotiators, and political bodyguards. There's plenty of ways to justify or explain the head of the Jedi Council taking the role of Police Officer arresting the chancellor. Especially if it's all he does and leaves the senate to fill the power vacuum.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neurolimal posted:

He had evidence that Palpatine was manipulating both sides; theres nothing substantial to support the idea that the Jedi would not arrest him in a civil fashion.

As for whether or not he took the law into his own hands: Jedi in the Republic fulfill the role of a standing army, lawful negotiators, and political bodyguards. There's plenty of ways to justify or explain the head of the Jedi Council taking the role of Police Officer arresting the chancellor. Especially if it's all he does and leaves the senate to fill the power vacuum.

Whether he had legal standing or not, he put himself and the Jedi in a compromising position. We laugh at the senate falling for Palpatine's story about the Jedi staging a coup, but to anyone who doesn't know the facts (which is everyone), what else would it look like?

If what they're doing is legitimate, don't do it in secret in the cover of night.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Neurolimal posted:

I agree, like the RLM review itself said: there were plenty of heroic and just ways to foil Palpatine beforehand. I'm just saying that Windu didn't make a mistake in this scenario: it was try to execute the geriatric lightning rod, or die.

Then why is Mace talking about the corrupt courts? In that moment Mace believes it's possible to put Palpatine in Space Jail, he just thinks that Palpatine would Space Lawyer his way out of it, and succeed in remaining the secretly evil dictator. If Mace believed it was kill or be killed, that's what he would have shouted to Anakin.

Anakin was already in Mace's position - after he defeated Dooku at the start of the film. Anakin wants to put Dooku on trial, but Palpatine convinces him that he's too dangerous to be left alive. Anakin and Mace are both wrong to attempt a killing blow on a helpless opponent.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tezzor posted:

No, absolutely not. Even if it were intended as a deconstruction of heroic myth or whatever, the acting, characterization, dialogue and cinematography would remain unconscionably terrible and that's without getting into the question of whether we should really be yelling "give us hell, Quimby"

There are quite a few moments in the prequels that fall flat for me for various reasons, but I can't fathom thinking they're "unconscionably terrible" when the parts I don't like, on a subjective level, are still just moments scattered through some otherwise perfectly fine Star Wars movies.

I also can't fathom hating something so much, especially a few movies, that I have to spend hours on the internet daily trying to prove to people who consider it at least worth talking about how wrong they are and that it's in every way complete poo poo.

I mean if there were a thousand-page thread on here about how there's actually some artistic merit to Battlefield: Earth I would be like, that's weird, and either go on my way or maybe read the thread for a bit to try to understand why. I might ask questions, even pointed questions, and I might never get why they think that way, but what's the point of arguing this strenuously? Is it personal to you somehow?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Because they are not omniscient nor omnipotent?

but doing this thing is their job? they should know weather or not an option exists all of them think it does even the guy being arrested believes he can be brought in what evidence do you have to say it isn't?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Toilet Mouth posted:

Whether he had legal standing or not, he put himself and the Jedi in a compromising position. We laugh at the senate falling for Palpatine's story about the Jedi staging a coup, but to anyone who doesn't know the facts (which is everyone), what else would it look like?

If what they're doing is legitimate, don't do it in secret in the cover of night.

Well yeah, that goes back to the mentioned RLM list of better ways to stop him.

As for believability, it seems like successfully arresting or dispatching him would give them the chance to clear their names with the recording of Sideous trying to tempt a jedi knight with knowledge only a sith could have, and with the defeat of the Federation in sight a still-alive council likely could have put the pieces together after they surrendered and explained that a guy in a black robe that sounds like the chancellor told them to do what they did.

Additional things that would help but dont conflict with readings ITT nor are film errors: Dooku could have ratted him out after Palpatine okayed his death if Anakin didn't go through with it. Grievous could have maybe substantiated the Federations account if he was brought in alive? (I genuinely dont know his motivation for following Sideous, or how much he knows about the SidPalp connection).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

I'm just saying that Windu didn't make a mistake in this scenario: it was try to execute the geriatric lightning rod, or die.

Actually, those weren't the options.

Palpatine just absorbed Windu's hate, becoming more powerful than ever.

Windu's two main options were to let go of his attachment to the Order and run away, as Yoda did, or he could die violently in a futile effort to retain his power.

And those were not the only options because Windu could have done what Vader did: let go of his attachments and kill Palpatine.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Then why is Mace talking about the corrupt courts? In that moment Mace believes it's possible to put Palpatine in Space Jail, he just thinks that Palpatine would Space Lawyer his way out of it, and succeed in remaining the secretly evil dictator. If Mace believed it was kill or be killed, that's what he would have shouted to Anakin.

Anakin was already in Mace's position - after he defeated Dooku at the start of the film. Anakin wants to put Dooku on trial, but Palpatine convinces him that he's too dangerous to be left alive. Anakin and Mace are both wrong to attempt a killing blow on a helpless opponent.

But again, we as the audience having watched the film and seen the events unfold know, irregardless of Windu's opinion, it was in-fact Kill or Be Killed. As evident by what Palp is immediately capable of doing after the lightning stops.

That's the pivotal flaw, in my opinion, of this reading. Dooku was genuinely helpless as a result of being seconds away from being beheaded. Palpatine was still wholly capable of stopping a winded jedi master and dopey jedi sidekick, considering he just effortlessly dispatched 3 (?) of the councils' greatest masters. And instantly murders Windu after Windu's assault stops.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, those weren't the options.

Palpatine just absorbed Windu's hate, becoming more powerful than ever.

Windu's two main options were to let go of his attachment to the Order and run away, as Yoda did, or he could die violently in a futile effort to retain his power.

And those were not the only options because Windu could have done what Vader did: let go of his attachments and kill Palpatine.

Ideally, rational abstract philosophical readings should follow rational literal face-value events. Otherwise the reading becomes strained and reliant on the viewers' attachment to the reading.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elfgames posted:

but doing this thing is their job? they should know weather or not an option exists all of them think it does even the guy being arrested believes he can be brought in what evidence do you have to say it isn't?

The evidence that Palpatine's capability to fight back is only harmed by the current act of killing him. The moment the threat to his life ends he immediately returns fire lethally.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

The evidence that Palpatine's capability to fight back is only harmed by the current act of killing him. The moment the threat to his life ends he immediately returns fire lethally.

you mean after mace is literally disarmed and the situation is changed dramatically?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elfgames posted:

you mean after mace is literally disarmed and the situation is changed dramatically?

Changes: Mace's Lightning stops.

If I recall the scene correctly, the scene is depicted as Windu and Palpatine pushing against each other's lightning (with Mace overcoming Palp). What stops Palpatine from starting again after Mace stops? Let alone the instant blast he does that pushes Mace out the window?

Are they just going to have Mace fight his lightning (but not hard enough to kill palpatine) while they hold the trial around the window?

Actually, that would make for a funny skit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

Ideally, rational abstract philosophical readings should follow rational literal face-value events. Otherwise the reading becomes strained and reliant on the viewers' attachment to the reading.

That's literally what happens. Windu had the option, at that moment, to admit that he was after power: more power for the Jedi Order. More power for the Republic. More power for himself. (The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power). Because the way to kill Palpatine is the give up your power.

Vader gave up all his power by allowing himself to be electrocuted. And once he made that choice, Palpatine just vanished.

Windu had that option too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

That's literally what happens. Windu had the option, at that moment, to admit that he was after power: more power for the Jedi Order. More power for the Republic. More power for himself. (The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power). Because the way to kill Palpatine is the give up your power.

Vader gave up all his power by allowing himself to be electrocuted. And once he made that choice, Palpatine just vanished.

Windu had that option too.

This lust for power isn't depicted in the film though; the closest would be the Clone Army, which Yoda refuses until he has to begrudgingly use it to save Obi/Padme/Anakin.

Hell, the attempt to arrest him only happens after he learns that Palpatine is a Sith Lord, which speaks more about the gravity of a Sith Lords' power than a powerlust.

I guess fighting the Federation counts? But that was a war instigated by the Federation, currently fought to a resource-consuming standstill.

He could have ran, but then he'd be abandoning his duties and the fate of the republic to Dracula. Doesn't exactly speak well of him.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 25, 2016

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Neurolimal posted:

Hell, the attempt to arrest him only happens after he learns that Palpatine is a Sith Lord, which speaks more about the gravity of a Sith Lords' power than a powerlust.

The council votes to depose Palpatine before learning about that.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Changes: Mace's Lightning stops.

If I recall the scene correctly, the scene is depicted as Windu and Palpatine pushing against each other's lightning (with Mace overcoming Palp). What stops Palpatine from starting again after Mace stops? Let alone the instant blast he does that pushes Mace out the window?

Are they just going to have Mace fight his lightning (but not hard enough to kill palpatine) while they hold the trial around the window?

Actually, that would make for a funny skit.

so even though the characters all state that they can, they cant actually stop him because he has a gun.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

The council votes to depose Palpatine before learning about that.

But they only "move quickly if the jedi are to survive" after learning of his sith trait. For all we know they were going to let the old human guy go through the long bureaucratic way before that (and then they would be dead without an arrest attempt. Because of Order 66).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elfgames posted:

so even though the characters all state that they can, they cant actually stop him because he has a gun.

Uh. Yeah? I mean imagine this in a realistic setting; if 3 people go "we're capable of taking this guy in alive!", yet said guy is at a distance with a loaded gun aimed at them, you dont think "why aren't they taking this guy in alive?"

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Neurolimal posted:

But they only "move quickly if the jedi are to survive" after learning of his sith trait. For all we know they were going to let the old human guy go through the long bureaucratic way before that (and then they would be dead without an arrest attempt. Because of Order 66).

I think its pretty explicit that they were going to remove him from office through force, not through bureaucracy. Otherwise they would have gone to the senate, not to his office.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

This lust for power isn't depicted in the film though; the closest would be the Clone Army, which Yoda refuses until he has to begrudgingly use it to save Obi/Padme/Anakin.

I guess fighting the Federation counts? But that was a war instigated by the Federation, currently fought to a resource-consuming standstill.

He could have ran, but then he'd be abandoning his duties and the fate of the republic to Dracula. Doesn't exactly speak well of him.

Windu doesn't have a "lust for power". He simply wants power, as all the Jedi do. That's just a statement of fact.

And Palpatine's thing is always that he takes advantage of those who want power.

Windu wants power to protect the Order, the Senate, the Republic, his job, and himself. It's exactly the same was how Anakin wants power to protect Padme. Lucas uses the metaphor of killing someone's soul to preserve their body - that's what Windu does to the Jedi Order.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 25, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

I think its pretty explicit that they were going to remove him from office through force, not through bureaucracy. Otherwise they would have gone to the senate, not to his office.

I mean, if they need senate action just to stop an invasion of a republic planet, I can imagine Windu taking him (presumed to be a nonmagical old man) to a fair trial before the council/a court. It's not like they'd be at a disadvantage: order of noble protectors who defeated sith tyrants and restored peace for a thousand years/generations vs. A new chancellor who has maintained a costly war without any progress for X years, in the same month that a ship just crashed into the city.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Uh. Yeah? I mean imagine this in a realistic setting; if 3 people go "we're capable of taking this guy in alive!", yet said guy is at a distance with a loaded gun aimed at them, you dont think "why aren't they taking this guy in alive?"

yeah that's a completely different scenario because 1.) the bad guy has agreed that it's possible to keep him from shooting everyone 2. he's already been subdued he's not at a distance he's on the ground with a gun in his face. 3.) every time a jedi has a sith at mercy they are told that killing them "is not the jedi way" so something else must logically be the jedi way

edit. Also star wars is not realistic it is a fairytale.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Windu doesn't have a "lust for power". He simply wants power, as all the Jedi do. That's just a statement of fact.

And Palpatine's thing is always that he takes advantage of those who want power.

Windu wants power to protect the Order, the Senate, the Republic, his job, and himself. It's exactly the same was how Anakin wants power to protect Padme. Lucas uses the metaphor of killing someone's soul to preserve their body - that's what Windu does to the Jedi Order.

And again, this makes sense in the abstract, but in the literal it's just bizarre and hard to agree with. The simplest translation of body vs. Spirit would be Power vs. Values, yes? But the point of my stance is that Windu is working entirely within his values to the best of his ability. And if Windu stops and allows his death nothing changes; Anakin is still reliant on Palp's knowledge, Order 66 still happens, and Anakin is still persuaded to murder the jedi to save his children.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elfgames posted:

yeah that's a completely different scenario because 1.) the bad guy has agreed that it's possible to keep him from shooting everyone 2. he's already been subdued he's not at a distance he's on the ground with a gun in his face. 3.) every time a jedi has a sith at mercy they are told that killing them "is not the jedi way" so something else must logically be the jedi way

edit. Also star wars is not realistic it is a fairytale.

He's not subdued though; he's saying that he can be subdued. In both situations the villain suggests they can be subdued, but in both situations the villain is still a threat outside the moment of their execution.

Said gun being a slow lightning murder, which he can fight back from and appears to strain Windu during the struggle.

This applies everywhere except Palpatine's demise, which happens when Anakin uses his power to murder Palpatine. Hence my first question that started this.

Fairytales still work within the confines of the universe that they craft: Cinderella is kind-hearted and this universe rewards her deeds, while her sisters are meanspirited liars and end up with severed feet and empty eyesockets. The story crafts a just world where a magical creature enforces justice. Her sisters are not forced to try the shoe and then punished, they willingly invite punishment for their deeds.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 25, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

The simplest translation of body vs. Spirit would be Power vs. Values, yes?

Nope.

Windu is explicitly motivated by fear. He's fighting to protect a system he doesn't believe in:

Anakin: He must stand trial.
Windu: He has control of the senate and all the courts. He is too dangerous to be left alive!

Why doesn't Windu work to create a system that doesn't fall apart the minute it encounters someone 'too dangerous'?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 25, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Windu is explicitly motivated by fear. He's fighting to protect a system he doesn't believe in:

Anakin: He must stand trial.
Windu: He has control of the senate and all the courts. He is too dangerous to be left alive!

Why doesn't Windu work to create a legal system that doesn't fall apart the minute it encounters someone 'too dangerous'?

Within the concept of the film; he would still fail and die once Order 66 starts and Anakin is corrupted.

Within the abstract: because Windu does not believe in strongarming the universe towards his beliefs; which has been used before when talking about Tattooine

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

Within the concept of the film; he would still fail and die once Order 66 starts and Anakin is corrupted.

Within the abstract: because Windu does not believe in strongarming the universe towards his beliefs; which has been used before when talking about Tattooine

What? I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Do you mean that Windu's fear of change is a good thing?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Look at the unbridled race hate on Qui-Gonn's face.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

What? I'm not sure what you are saying here.

The Jedi dont stop slavery because stopping slavery would require brute forcing society towards their whims. It's their disconnection from enforcing their will on the universe that allows them to function as officers, negotiators, and bodyguards.

It's also why Anakin was so disastrous: he couldn't let go of Tatooine.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Look at the unbridled race hate on Qui-Gonn's face.

It's actually because Jar-Jar is asking him if he's DTS

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

The Jedi dont stop slavery because stopping slavery would require brute forcing society towards their whims. It's their disconnection from enforcing their will on the universe that allows them to function as officers, negotiators, and bodyguards.

It's also why Anakin was so disastrous: he couldn't let go of Tatooine.

You're saying it's bad to force slavemasters to stop owning slaves, because doing so would disrupt society. A society where slavery is normal.

True peace and justice are 'too risky'.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You're saying it's bad to force slavemasters to stop owning slaves, because doing so would disrupt society. A society where slavery is normal.

It's too risky.

It's saying that the nature of the Jedi prevented them from ending slavery without compromising themselves and causing far greater long-term harm (assuming a universe where Anakin is never recruited) than allowing the people to govern themselves.

As it stands, allowing the people to tackle slavery meant it mostly ends in about [time between TPM and TFA, 80 years?], whereas enforcing their morality upon society before society is capable would likely result in a rebellion and counter-culture against their decrees.

It has less to do with risk and more to do with the absurdity in expecting the Police (however more noble Jedi are by comparison) to enforce racial equality for you. By all means, the Republic's citizens should push for equality; they just cant expect the police to single-handedly rise up and overthrow the senate to benevolently enforce progress through fascist action.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 25, 2016

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yes these are identical scenes. Everything about them is the same.

Mace figures out that killing Palpy is the right thing to do 10 years too late, Anakin figures it out 35 years too late. Big distinction in these scenes

Yeah but lol at dudes who are like It's So Wrong To Kill Dracula When You Have The Chance who a) studiously defend Superman killing Zod because you dumb liberals he was too dangerous!!! and b) studiously ignore that killing Palpatine was the right thing to do and in fact such a good thing to do it can redeem you from a lifetime of evil

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You can fool yourself
You can cheat until you're blind
You can cut your heart
It can happen!

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Prolonged Priapism posted:

In ROTS Palpatine is cowering and whimpering, in ROTJ he's gleefully torturing Luke to death.

Like even if you think the Zodiac killer should be put to death, isn't there a difference between a cop killing him in his home as he crawls away vs killing him as he's actively murdering someone?

Palpatine is flopping for the referee and you bought it. How does it feel to be as stupid as the character Anakin Skywalker, possibly the stupidest character in all fiction? Do you watch Dumb and Dumber and agree with Lloyd's decision to sell the van for a moped they need to use to climb a mountain in the dead of winter

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mean consider what you're saying SMG: you're saying the republic's generals are wrong for not bringing democracy equality to the galaxy. Lucas Weeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

There are quite a few moments in the prequels that fall flat for me for various reasons, but I can't fathom thinking they're "unconscionably terrible" when the parts I don't like, on a subjective level, are still just moments scattered through some otherwise perfectly fine Star Wars movies.

I also can't fathom hating something so much, especially a few movies, that I have to spend hours on the internet daily trying to prove to people who consider it at least worth talking about how wrong they are and that it's in every way complete poo poo.

I mean if there were a thousand-page thread on here about how there's actually some artistic merit to Battlefield: Earth I would be like, that's weird, and either go on my way or maybe read the thread for a bit to try to understand why. I might ask questions, even pointed questions, and I might never get why they think that way, but what's the point of arguing this strenuously? Is it personal to you somehow?

The prequel films are crimes against art and their defenders are liars and blowhards who need the air let out of them

• Locked thread