Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm not sure what I find funnier. The fedora/trilby head design, or the fact its main weapon is a switchblade knife.

The switchblade is goofier.

The fedora is funny, but it's just an aesthetic choice.

The switchblade completely goes against the standard IBO weapon setup. Normally, mobile suits get gently caress-off huge primary weapons because it's the only way to reliably score a kill against other mobile suits. Ridiculous durability and near-immunity to ranged weapons will do that. A switchblade means managing any kind of attack involves several seconds in an opponent's kill range without a chance of landing a counter. One is merely inherently aesthetically goofy, while the other involves future goofiness as well, assuming the Triaina doesn't get scratched off in its first fight about five seconds in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

The switchblade completely goes against the standard IBO weapon setup. Normally, mobile suits get gently caress-off huge primary weapons because it's the only way to reliably score a kill against other mobile suits. Ridiculous durability and near-immunity to ranged weapons will do that. A switchblade means managing any kind of attack involves several seconds in an opponent's kill range without a chance of landing a counter. One is merely inherently aesthetically goofy, while the other involves future goofiness as well, assuming the Triaina doesn't get scratched off in its first fight about five seconds in.

Yeah, I mean, the primary melee weapons of suits in the show were gigantic axes(Grazes, Gusion) or enormous crushing implements(Rouei, Barbatos) because to score effective damage you needed to completely crumple significant sections of the enemy mobile suit. The only people who we saw capable of doing precision attacks with edged/thrusting weapons were Ein and Mika(super enhanced AV pilots) and McGillis, and Ein's "precision attack" was "kick them in the cockpit with a drill foot".

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I mean, the primary melee weapons of suits in the show were gigantic axes(Grazes, Gusion) or enormous crushing implements(Rouei, Barbatos) because to score effective damage you needed to completely crumple significant sections of the enemy mobile suit. The only people who we saw capable of doing precision attacks with edged/thrusting weapons were Ein and Mika(super enhanced AV pilots) and McGillis, and Ein's "precision attack" was "kick them in the cockpit with a drill foot".

You're forgetting Gaelio and his various lances.

edit: also axes are edged weapons, and the grazes on earth used swords.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently, it's a stealthy, high-speed hit-and-run ambush suit for use in dense terrain against enemy mobile suits. The 'fedora' is an enhanced sensor suite that lets it spot the enemy before they spot it. Basically, charge in while the enemy's back is turned, jam a knife or two in, and then beat a retreat with all those high-performance thrusters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There'd be nothing wrong with the head design if it wasn't coloured to look like a hat, so it makes me want to see it repainted with a more sensible colour scheme. The switchblade is really dumb, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

There'd be nothing wrong with the head design if it wasn't coloured to look like a hat, so it makes me want to see it repainted with a more sensible colour scheme. The switchblade is really dumb, though.

It does make slightly more sense as a disposable weapon designed to be inserted into an unaware opponent's weak points, though. IBO suits have a lot of those - they don't seem to have grasped how to fully armour a suit without compromising mobility, and nearly every one in the show has an exposed Ahab reactor, which probably doesn't react well to someone sticking a sharp bit of metal in it.

One interesting thing that got translated lately, on that note, is what nanolaminate armour is and how it works. Basically, it's a special form of paint that, when exposed to Ahab waves, becomes capable of absorbing incredible amounts of kinetic energy (so, the meatier your reactor output, the better - Gundams in particular can get much more durability out of the same painted armour). Thermal energy, not so much, though, which is why napalm is an extremely dangerous anti-ship weapon. While there's no difference in defensive value between colours, white is the cheapest and purple the most expensive, so Gaelio's all-purple suits are a major status symbol.

That also means that the painted parts on a suit are the toughest parts, which brings some interesting perspective on how IBO machines' armour is distributed. Basically, they're not uniformly as crazy-tough as they seem - the metallic frames encased by their painted armour are way less durable.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 25, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

It does make slightly more sense as a disposable weapon designed to be inserted into an unaware opponent's weak points, though.

"A disposable weapon designed to be buried into the enemy" is a perfectly fine concept. Having it look literally like a switchblade is dumb.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

"A disposable weapon designed to be buried into the enemy" is a perfectly fine concept. Having it look literally like a switchblade is dumb.

It is a switchblade. It folds up. Lets the suit store more of them, I guess.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's supposed to look like a tiny gangster far away instead of a big mobile suit up close. duh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Droyer posted:

You're forgetting Gaelio and his various lances.

edit: also axes are edged weapons, and the grazes on earth used swords.

Gaelio's lances and the Graze's axes/swords were gigantic bludgeoning instruments with a huge amount of mass and weight that would do as much damage by simply crushing their way through the target point as they would trying to cut/pierce it, not a tiny rear end little knife designed to slip into a joint or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I really want to see a Mobile Suit sneak up behind someone and shank em like 10 times in 5 seconds, prison style.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think fedora gangster mobile suit looks adorable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess I was talking out of my rear end when I said that South Burning's team had a cameo in 08th MS Team. I could have sworn I saw an RX-79 unit with 04th markings, but nope, looks like it was the 06th team that constantly popped up in the background.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Panzeh posted:

The best grunt gundam ever had was the guy at the end of the opening of 0080 who basically stopped the whole attack cold in a GM, coverin' his buddies in the space shuttle.

0080 and IBO are pretty much proof that action-light Gundam shows actually have the best action

(granted, one of 0080's two action scenes is soul-crushingly depressing, but the one you're talking about is badass and that GM guy is the best)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You conserve animation budget if most of your show is just talking heads and panning still shots but sometimes you get GBF which is All Action All The Time but that show was fueled by animator passion so it's an unfair thing to compare to.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

It is a switchblade. It folds up. Lets the suit store more of them, I guess.

For the third time: it should not look like a scaled-up version of this:

There is no law of the universe that says every folding knife has to look like a stereotypical switchblade knife.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 25, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

0080 and IBO are pretty much proof that action-light Gundam shows actually have the best action

(granted, one of 0080's two action scenes is soul-crushingly depressing, but the one you're talking about is badass and that GM guy is the best)

He's great, but he's clearly not a particularly good pilot. (If we're going for the best grunt pilot, my vote's for Guncannon 203, from the opening of Battlefield Record 081. Fucker zeroes in on a Gelgoog piloted by a named character, fucks it up a little with his vulcans, then jumps off the shield to kill a Zaku and persumably continue floating around the battlefield kicking rear end) He had a Z'gok E tumbling to the ground right in front of him, and he still didn't secure his second kill.

Looking at his actions, he's probably a rookie. Four man squad at a base that was never expecting any company. The war on Earth was pretty much down to mop-up. He and three of his buddies, they were glorified security guards, supplied with standard issue GMs since, hell. Federation had plenty to go around by then. Didn't even get a loving beam spray gun. Sure, fine. They're guarding supplies that could be the secret weapon to win the war. But, hell. It's December. There's been dozens of weapons that would win the war, and most of them were bullshit. Not much to do but smoke, make dirty jokes, and wait for Zack to blow up the Earth or die.

Then, out of nowhere, they get an squad of Zeon pilots coming in, piloting mobile suits nobody's seen before. Squad leader's rifle gets shot out from under him, and his own gun blows his brains all over the cockpit. The guard in the tunnels goes dark, who knows what happened to him. And our hero sees a friend's suit get grabbed as a shield by one of the Zack pilots. He stops firing so he won't hit his pal, and it turns out the drat thing has integrated beam cannons. He ducks back, tries to regroup, and gets to hear his helpless best friend get melted.

At this point, he has to realize he's hosed. Four hostile suits. One of him. They're elites in cutting edge gear. He's a barely trained rear end in a top hat in a mass production jobbie that's less equipped to fight armor than a loving mobile coffin. The smart thing to do would be to bail. Ditch the suit, surrender, and hope your new guests honor the antarctic treaty.

But nobody accused our man of being smart. Brave, maybe. But not smart. He hauls rear end for the launch site, because right now, he's the only hope those guys have. Another blue mobile suit pops out, same gear as killed his buddies. It aims at the shuttle.

Three more hostiles around, and our man isn't exactly Ray or Jung. Just some rookie in the wrong place at the wrong time. All he can do is lay down covering fire, and hope it's enough.

This once, it is. He manages to get a kill before he dies. And the last thing he sees is the rocket taking off with the cargo that he lets himself believe, for the first and last time, will save the Federation and win the war.

Poor dumb bastard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

I really want to see a Mobile Suit sneak up behind someone and shank em like 10 times in 5 seconds, prison style.

Best read that upcoming manga, then!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They had a robot in X who's only weapon was a knife so I'm just going to pretend it's a callback to that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
0083 episode 4. Monsha is loving terrible, but he does have one good line.

Keith: "Sir, they prefer to be called Spacenoids, not Space Men."

Monsha: "Fine, it sounds stupider anyways."

And then the Albion calls up Monsha just to say that Burning is pissed off at him for being a fuckup. I love Burning.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Droyer posted:

So the design for what I assume will be the first opponent of the IBO sidestory manga has been unveiled

That is clearly a pimp hat.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lemon-Lime posted:

For the third time: it should not look like a scaled-up version of this:

There is no law of the universe that says every folding knife has to look like a stereotypical switchblade knife.

I always enjoyed that Evangelion used gigantic box cutters that vibrated as weapons.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Shinjobi posted:

I always enjoyed that Evangelion used gigantic box cutters that vibrated as weapons.

The Eva units actually had different looking heat blades, with unit 01 having a more traditional folding knife. Unit 02 having a boxcutter knife is foreshadowing since it's the kind of knife people think of most when it comes to attempted suicide

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I liked that scene in AGE when the age-1 was more or less shanking the bad guy with it's beam dagger. One of the few good moments in that show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Oh, you like gigantic box cutters? That IBO manga has something for you too, then.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh nooooooo what even is that

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

That's Gundam Astaroth, the lead Gundam for said IBO manga spin-off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The Gundam Astaroth, the protagonist machine of the new Iron-Blooded Orphans spin-off manga, Steel Moon, which will be facing off against the stabby fedora-mech.

It's basically a lost relic of a fallen noble family that's been mistreated and stripped for parts for decades, to the point where it's now basically a walking junk-heap held together by its extraordinarily tough Gundam-class frame. The plot involves a mercenary being hired by the heir of that family to travel the solar system and retrieve the Astaroth's original parts as a way to honour his heritage.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So in a weird way that's the megaman Gundam people thought the Barbatos would be.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

So in a weird way that's the megaman Gundam people thought the Barbatos would be.
Well, Barbatos was kind of Megaman Gundam for the first few episodes, with it cobbling parts of Grazes to fix damaged sections. Once Teiwaz entered the room, that shtick ended and it stayed relatively the same (aside from Mika flip-flopping between the mace and the katana as his primary melee weapon) because the Turbines/Tekkadan somehow were always able to fart out fresh parts for the Barbatos.

With Astaroth, they seem to be fully committing to that gimmick as part of the narrative instead of primarily for model kit lines.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, Barbatos was kind of Megaman Gundam for the first few episodes, with it cobbling parts of Grazes to fix damaged sections. Once Teiwaz entered the room, that shtick ended and it stayed relatively the same (aside from Mika flip-flopping between the mace and the katana as his primary melee weapon) because the Turbines/Tekkadan somehow were always able to fart out fresh parts for the Barbatos.

With Astaroth, they seem to be fully committing to that gimmick as part of the narrative instead of primarily for model kit lines.

the fifth form used the schwalbe graze's leg boosters though, and that was after teiwaz.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

It did later borrow Schwalbe and Ritter parts for its fifth and sixth forms, though. There was still a bit of looting going on. It was just a case of desire for good kit rather than strict battlefield necessity.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

the fifth form used the schwalbe graze's leg boosters though, and that was after teiwaz.
Without having you tell me that was the case, I would have never even noticed. To be fair, I usually gloss over things like leg boosters since they're never strictly focused on unless it's a plot point for an episode or something similar.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Without having you tell me that was the case, I would have never even noticed. To be fair, I usually gloss over things like leg boosters since they're never strictly focused on unless it's a plot point for an episode or something similar.

as walrus pointed out as well, the sixth form also uses the graze ritter's shoulder armor. Barbatos never really stopped stealing stuff.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I honestly can't describe to you anything that separates the Barbatos forms unless you post comparison pictures back to back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eej posted:

I honestly can't describe to you anything that separates the Barbatos forms unless you post comparison pictures back to back.

If you can stand a plastic model promotion image, here you go:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think a big part of the Barbatos forms being kinda samey is that they never really get a chance to shine for the most part since the fights are largely one-sided stomps where the gimmicks or new parts rarely play a function. Stuff like the mace/katana gets more focus so its' easier to keep it in mind.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think a big part of the Barbatos forms being kinda samey is that they never really get a chance to shine for the most part since the fights are largely one-sided stomps where the gimmicks or new parts rarely play a function. Stuff like the mace/katana gets more focus so its' easier to keep it in mind.
It also doesn't help that Barbatos form 4 was the one that got the most press, air or ad time, as it featured in a lot of the gunpla commercials that Daisuki would run in the middle of episodes. So, your mind leans towards that form the most because it was the one that got marketed the most. Like, in my mind, forms 1 through 3 are this short burst from the early episodes, then form 4 dominates the show up until they reach Earth and form 5b takes over (form 5a barely got screentime), until the final battle where form 6 finishes out the show.

But, who knows what Astaroth will pick up. Maybe it'll get something useful but mundane as Hard Knuckle or broken as gently caress like Metal Blade.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ethiser posted:

So is that model up there it's final form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Revitalized posted:

So is that model up there it's final form?

You mean that pic of the Astaroth? I believe that's what it starts out looking like (its 'walking trash heap' form), and it'll get considerably sleeker and fancier as it regains more of its original parts.

As for Barbatos forms, here's the rundown:

* Form 1: Its original as a poorly-maintained generator for CGS. Mace, buckler on left arm, no shoulder armour.

* Form 1.5: Crank duel configuration. Single Graze pauldron on its left shoulder, still in original green.

* Form 2: Mars orbital battle configuration. Both shoulders have repainted Graze pauldrons, advent of 300mm cannon.

* Form 3: Teiwaz battle configuration. Buckler replaced with Graze claw.

* Form 4: Post-refit configuration. General performance tweak and overhaul, left arm replaced with identical limb to right arm (as opposed to the modified version that held the claw and buckler), Graze pauldrons replaced with large rounded ones supposedly taken from original Barbatos blueprints. Advent of sword and Kutan III long-range transport.

* Form 5: Earth orbit battle configuration. Massive ablative armour vest to counter Kimaris's lance, Schwalbe Graze thrusters on skirt for extra thrust, two-shot rocket launchers added below forearms. Uses all three of the Barbatos's then-current weapons (the mace, sword, and 300mm gun) rather than two at a time.

* Form 5.5: Ground battle configuration. Feet reshaped into 'high-heel' form for dealing with uneven ground, ablative armour no longer present, Schwalbe Graze thrusters stripped down into much smaller claw-like form, rocket launchers are replaced with short-barreled 170mm autocannons. Exclusively uses new 'wrench mace' due to loss of original mace, the autocannons making the 300mm gun redundant, and Mika's distaste for the sword.

* Form 6: Edmonton battle configuration. Barbatos pauldrons replaced with repainted Graze Ritter ones, extra layer of armour added over chest. Sword added as emergency weapon, presumably at considerable protest by Mika.

My interest in IBO's mechanical designs may be a mite too obsessive.