Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

RZA Encryption posted:

This will be my first time paying attention to the RNC nomination. Will it be televised?

Gavel-to-gavel, on C-SPAN. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NaanViolence posted:

No. They were not correct to interrupt Sanders. In a world of infinite resources where they had already disrupted every single one of the GOP candidates' rallies then they maybe would have had a point.

You don't protest against someone who's 90% on your side when you have yet to absolutely shut down tons of people who are 100% against you.

actually it's far more effective to get in the faces of people who probably agree with you vs. the faces of people who absolutely do not agree with you

what you're basically arguing is "who cares about campus rape while sex slavery and FGM exists in other parts of the world that, coincidentally, are not here"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Defenestration posted:

I admit I haven't read all of the Road Blocking debate but I'd like to point out that the kind of people crying about ambulances not being able to get through when I-93 was blocked sure don't care about the shitshow gridlock that happens every time a Sox game gets out at Fenway.

They're also not crying about the mayor planning to shut down tons of roads for a goddamn IndyCar race on Labor Day Weekend, the annual feast of ten thousand moving vans.

It's not a dangerous or destructive riot when its white people being exited/angry about a sport event because

No wonder the Koches are silently running to Hillary. The last two up against the Trump are the Zodiac Killer and What's-his-face.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I think Trump should be recognized for his achievement of actually getting Ted Cruz to cooperate with someone else.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

NaanViolence posted:

No. They were not correct to interrupt Sanders. In a world of infinite resources where they had already disrupted every single one of the GOP candidates' rallies then they maybe would have had a point.

You don't protest against someone who's 90% on your side when you have yet to absolutely shut down tons of people who are 100% against you.

Hmm yes why isn't BLM trying to get Republicans to add a police brutality reform plank to the GOP platform, gosh what a missed opportunity here

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The whole point of that demonstration was to highlight that racism and neglect of minority issues existed even in a liberal area like Seattle.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Motto posted:

The whole point of that demonstration was to highlight that racism and neglect of minority issues existed even in a liberal area like Seattle.

yeah who would have ever thought that racism would exist in a liberal, overwhelmingly white area that's deeply segregated and continually hits the snooze button on addressing its own racial problems because it's not the south

that would surely never happen, in america

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Motto posted:

Perhaps a Sanders rally is not the right time to be making that point?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

Wasn't it right after that disruption that Sanders put a black women in a major spot on his campus specifically to address BLM issues? I know not everyone in BLM agreed with that disruption, but it seemed to have worked out for them.

The hiring of Symone Sanders happened before the seattle interruption, afaict. The announcement was on the same day, which means the hiring happened earlier. There were other BLM protests at his rallies before the seattle interruption tho.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Defenestration posted:

I admit I haven't read all of the Road Blocking debate but I'd like to point out that the kind of people crying about ambulances not being able to get through when I-93 was blocked sure don't care about the shitshow gridlock that happens every time a Sox game gets out at Fenway.

They're also not crying about the mayor planning to shut down tons of roads for a goddamn IndyCar race on Labor Day Weekend, the annual feast of ten thousand moving vans.

Do you even live here? Because trying to say that shutting down seaport on labor day it's going to stop emergency services is something that someone who's never even looked at Boston on a map would say, or someone trying to pull a fast one on people who don't know the city.

Also 93 is a parking lot regardless of the sox, that doesn't stop emergency vehicles from forcing people into the breakdown lane to get through.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I'm surprised that Kasich is even going along with it. Cruz is merely taking advantage of the situation. Kasich will be kicked to the curb at the earliest convenience. Unless Kasich has a plan to steal the nomination from Cruz that I'm missing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It wasn't a Sanders rally, and it could be considered entitely appropriate besides, considering Sander's failure to address minority issues as demonstrated in both the primary and his supporters' reaction to the interruption.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 25, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lote posted:

I'm surprised that Kasich is even going along with it. Cruz is merely taking advantage of the situation. Kasich will be kicked to the curb at the earliest convenience. Unless Kasich has a plan to steal the nomination from Cruz that I'm missing.

Kasich hopes to be the consensus choice at a brokered convention. I hope that one day I'll be able to fly just by flapping my arms. My dream is more likely to come true.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NaanViolence posted:

Yes you do. He is the exact person you go after.

It's easier to move someone 10 percent to include your thoughts and ideas than it is to get someone to move 200% From actively trying to sabatoge your position, to keeping the status quo, to moving to the other side of reforms of a system. Going to a republican rally would be dumb as poo poo as you would be literally risking bodily injury to get removed by security, with no chance of the candidate actually listening to you.

The Republicans aren't going to get the Black the minority vote in any appreciable amount. They are for all intents and purposes written off.

The entire loving point of the primary is to select a candidate and to force candidates to speak and answer questions in such a way that your ideas and plans can get included on the party's platform.

This is the exact loving time and place for BLM to be going in on Hillary and Bernie as it will essentially only have an effect on the primaries and not the general election.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah who would have ever thought that racism would exist in a liberal, overwhelmingly white area that's deeply segregated and continually hits the snooze button on addressing its own racial problems because it's not the south

It's good for BLM to bring attention to the problems minorities face in places like Seattle full of self-satisfied liberals that think racism is over.
Yeah, the SPD is currently under federal oversight for giant racial disparities in policing + total unwillingness to hold officers responsible for wrongdoing in shooting incidents.
Seatte police officers shoot a Native American woodcarver for no reason, harass a black bus driver for no reason, and so on. And then people in well-to-do neighborhoods terrified of an imaginary crime wave hire private security who end up doing shady, racist poo poo (because, surprise, some of the company's employees are convicted violent felons). Not to mention the way homelessness has been treated more like a crime than a social problem by many people here (same as everywhere else, but you'd hope a progressive city like Seattle would be better about it). and Washington has the same horrible racial disparities in arrests and prison population as everywhere else, but it's not something that gets a lot of attention from either the millennials or the old hippies turning out for Sanders.

Progressive politicians may be BLM's best targets because they perpetrate the myth that racism is completely created by classism, and when income inequality is resolved, racial inequality will be as well. So people like Sanders talk about class while ignoring anything that doesn't fit into their neat little narrative.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like Bernie's entire problem this entire primary and the only reason why he was unable to win the nomination is the fact that he did miserable in any state/county where there were Black people. He almost completely pulled off Obama's strategy of changing the Status quo, except for the part where he completely failed to include black people and minority reforms during his initial pitches.

If he hadn't waited so long to start talking racial issues and not essentially handed the vote to the Queen of Pandering Hillary Clinton, He probably could have pulled it off. And then he has to go out and be a bitch about it by saying "Southern Democrats" are more conservative and aren't real democrats. Not realizing that it wasn't because the south is hyper conservative on the left, it was more a demographic issue that he hosed up.

And I'm someone who voted for Bernie. But how he's handled his losses have made me lose a ton of respect for the dude.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe black people could have their own separate rallies on their side of town where they will have an equal chance to talk about their issues far away from Sanders and his white supporters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sorry Mr. Massa, please just give me a time and place where it will be appropriate for me to address them nice white folk.

Wouldn't want to interrupt the nice and white meeting y'all are having.

Thank you kind sir.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dexo posted:

Sorry Mr. Massa, please just give me a time and place where it will be appropriate for me to address them nice white folk.

Wouldn't want to interrupt the nice and white meeting y'all are having.

Thank you kind sir.

Oh sure that's what they want them to do, but white southerners can interrupt all the Black Panther parties they want!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

Oh sure that's what they want them to do, but white southerners can interrupt all the Black Panther parties they want!

lol Black Panther "parties"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

Like Bernie's entire problem this entire primary and the only reason why he was unable to win the nomination is the fact that he did miserable in any state/county where there were Black people. He almost completely pulled off Obama's strategy of changing the Status quo, except for the part where he completely failed to include black people and minority reforms during his initial pitches.

If he hadn't waited so long to start talking racial issues and not essentially handed the vote to the Queen of Pandering Hillary Clinton, He probably could have pulled it off. And then he has to go out and be a bitch about it by saying "Southern Democrats" are more conservative and aren't real democrats. Not realizing that it wasn't because the south is hyper conservative on the left, it was more a demographic issue that he hosed up.

And I'm someone who voted for Bernie. But how he's handled his losses have made me lose a ton of respect for the dude.

Hillary worked her rear end off to lock down minority voters and pull the Obama coalition into her orbit after her loss in 2008. To the point at which Bernie is still playing catch up with her on a policy and organizational level.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hillary worked her rear end off to lock down minority voters and pull the Obama coalition into her orbit after her loss in 2008. To the point at which Bernie is still playing catch up with her on a policy and organizational level.

Exactly. Bernie early on didn't even seem to care, just parroting that Hey Black folk if we fix income equality you guys will come along for the ride too. Why are you so angry.

He would have had better success had he at least attempted to court minorities early on.

How poorly he handled his first interactions with BLM, and other black groups essentially set a terrible tone that couldn't be recovered from.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Noteworthy to this discussion: Here is a model that predicts Hillary's primary results, based on the region, the % African-Americans, and the percentage of self identified Democrats. Here are the results so far:

If the dot is under the trend line, it means Hillary performed worse than what was predicted. Above the trend line, she performed better.

Here are the predictions for Tuesday:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
OH god did we let primary chat back in?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
We do have a pretty big set of primary contests happening on Tuesday.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Is there anyway Clinton gets the delegates she needs without Supers? Or is that a mathematical no at this point?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

OH god did we let primary chat back in?

I honestly don't mind reading primary chat as long as people can avoid arguing the merits of Clinton and Sanders. So far this appears to be one of the rare times this has happened.

Edit:

cbservo posted:

Is there anyway Clinton gets the delegates she needs without Supers? Or is that a mathematical no at this point?

My understanding is that Clinton is cruising towards a large majority of both popular vote and non-super delegates. She may not have so many delegates at the end that the gap is larger than the number of superdelegates. But if Sanders' convention hopes rely on convincing a huge majority of superdelegates to go against both the Democratic Party and the popular vote (not even counting the fact that many of them have already pledged their votes to Clinton), he doesn't really have a strategy.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 25, 2016

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

cbservo posted:

She has to win California by a large but not impossible amount to win strictly on pledged delegates.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Grundulum posted:

My understanding is that Clinton is cruising towards a large majority of both popular vote and non-super delegates. She may not have so many delegates at the end that the gap is larger than the number of superdelegates. But if Sanders' convention hopes rely on convincing a huge majority of superdelegates to go against both the Democratic Party and the popular vote (not even counting the fact that many of them have already pledged their votes to Clinton), he doesn't really have a strategy.

The superdelegate system is terrible and they should vote for the winner of the most votes and pledged delegates, except this time they should vote for me, even though if you just removed them from the pool, my opponent would have an obvious majority.

Look, this primary has been so undemocratic, the only way to fix it is to be even more undemocratic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I love how the Republican primary still has three candidates, in late April, two of whom have no mathematical chance to be the nominee, but are staying in anyway just to force a contested convention. I thought the 2012 primary was bugfuck crazy enough, but I had no idea. Reading these highbrow analysis pieces about the thing, hearing political consultants talk about it, makes me feel like the kid in Stephen King's short story "The Jaunt" who at the end laughs hysterically while ripping out his own eyes. It's amazing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'd also add social media. Video evidence goes viral now in a way that it rarely did or could before common adoption of the smart phone gave nearly everyone a camera. Now there's youtube videos of officers in the act and it can be a little hard for detractors to deny or explain away. Not that they don't try!

"Look there had to be something right before this video footage of the cop shooting a man that is already defenseless on the ground to justify it. I just don't know what it could possibly be to have required a street execution but I'm sure it happened!"

That's pretty much boilerplate for when a video of a cop doing something totally indefensible happens. "We just don't know the full story! Now lets not ask anyone to actually prove what that story is."

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Radish posted:

"Look there had to be something right before this video footage of the cop shooting a man that is already defenseless on the ground to justify it. I just don't know what it could possibly be to have required a street execution but I'm sure it happened!"

That's pretty much boilerplate for when a video of a cop doing something totally indefensible happens. "We just don't know the full story! Now lets not ask anyone to actually prove what that story is."

There will always be people in denial like that, though. Video doesn't convert everyone, but it makes it harder to be in denial.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I don't think you're allowed to be smug about this when just a few weeks ago you were trying to convince everyone that Raleigh-Durham was a perfectly fine place for LBGT folks to settle down in.

By the way, that rally was a rally in support of Medicaid and Medicare. The Sanders rally was later that night.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

We do have a pretty big set of primary contests happening on Tuesday.

Has CNN started calling this Super Tuesday 5 or similar yet?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

RevKrule posted:

Yes

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RevKrule posted:

I'm boycotting CNN atm after Wolf Blitzer called Prince's most famous album "Purple Haze". I'm not even that big of a Prince fan, but in a sane world that would be cause for a lengthy jail sentence if not execution.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
C'mon give Wolf a break, it's not often a special needs person gets to be a news anchor :kiddo:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Xanderkish posted:

There will always be people in denial like that, though. Video doesn't convert everyone, but it makes it harder to be in denial.

Oh no don't think I don't appreciate that video evidence hasn't turned this on it's head. Just that it always bugs me there are always people willing to buy the authoritarian excuse rather than MAYBE think about how the victim didn't deserve it since that clashes against their preconceived notions.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

C'mon give Wolf a break, it's not often a special needs person gets to be a news anchor :kiddo:

He's had his chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm boycotting CNN atm after Wolf Blitzer. in a sane world that would be cause for a lengthy jail sentence if not execution.

Fixed this for you

Solkanar512 posted:

By the way, that rally was a rally in support of Medicaid and Medicare. The Sanders rally was later that night.

Could have sworn it was M-for-all and $15? Anyway, the reactions on this site and others proved the need for them to protest there. Turns out "allies" who give lipservice to your basic humanity and focus on their own issues, then act like that gives them a pass from hearing about your issues and discontent are lovely allies.

• Locked thread