Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I've beaten the dancer and stuck the skulls etc on the thrones in firelink shrine. I can't see where to go next though. I've talked to people at firelink shrine but none said where to go next as far as i could tell

Inspect the statue behind where the nice elderly lady sat in the dancers room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Oh i just need to do it a second time? Or did I just manage to do it before the dancer appeared?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Azazell0 posted:

I wanted to try and summon Hawkwood for the fight against The consumed king but his summon sign is nowhere to be seen. What am I missing?

Actually, it might just be the place youre looking for?
I personally wouldnt have looked for him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayW9rFjIugA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lady posted:

Pride. Also, they might not know they don't actually lose anything.

Come to think of it they drop their souls where they were fighting if they die so they were probably preventing that, too.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Oh i just need to do it a second time? Or did I just manage to do it before the dancer appeared?

There should be a ladder.
Technically theres always a ladder, but now it should be accessible i mean.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jose posted:

I've beaten the dancer and stuck the skulls etc on the thrones in firelink shrine. I can't see where to go next though. I've talked to people at firelink shrine but none said where to go next as far as i could tell

did you put something on every throne? if yes then you need to talk to the Firekeeper i think. if no then you need to go to the High Wall and find another boss. here's a spoilery progression chart:

e: i forgot about the statue behind dancer, ignore what i said where applicable

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I finally beat the Abyss Watchers last night!

And then I got cocky and lost 20k souls :suicide:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Man I've been hearing about how weak sorcerer builds are in this game, but at least you guys have some drat attacks. I made a Sunbro based around using offensive miracles (as soon as I unlocked them of course), just got to Carthus. I didn't pay attention to spells at all on my first playthrough so I was a little surprised that you don't get a single offensive miracle until towards the end of Farron Keep. DK2 was great because even if they did nerf magic, you still had tons of casts of lightning spear and emit force. I finally unlocked Lightning Spear and I can do about 5 casts per bar, and it does fuckall damage. Probably because I kept my faith at 20 since I don't think I'm anyway near getting another offensive spell that requires more. Also I haven't found a single faith scaling weapon. So now I have poo poo STR and DEX at the expense of FTH and ATT which are pretty much worthless to me right now. Don't get me wrong, the utility miracles are great (healing is great early on, and stuff like curing poison is nice) but I wish my build wasn't worthless right now. Also I grinded out 30 sunlight medals already and it turns out the Sunbro altar is waaaaay far into the game.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

Grimalkin posted:

Twice now I've had red invaders who, when it became clear they were going to lose, ran away from me and returned home. Why the heck? I thought dying in an invasion lost you nothing. I didn't ask you to pop in, buddy! But now that you're here, the least you could do is see it through to the end. :nono:

They do "lose" the souls they are holding and have to go to the spot in their world to pick them back up. Which makes them look even more like gigantic idiots.

I suffer from DS3 fatigue. I went through Irithyll Dungeon and battled Yhorm. Yhorm killed Siegward and that pisses me off so much. I couldn't help him because I did not know that you have to charge that Stormruler weapon art. How in the world are you supposed to know this? I can't go to the menu and read the description during the fight and I didn't happen to notice how Siegward charged his attacks. Okay so I went the other way and solo'd the Pontiff, great fight btw, after ~30 tries, solo shieldless, pretty proud of myself. The area after him is gorgeous but too short and the enemy placement is lackluster and now I am already at the next boss and I am just tired of those. PVP also feels broken to me because I am terrible at it anyway and every invasion is a 1v3. Back to Dragons Dogma flying into free, I guess.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Actually, it might just be the place youre looking for?
I personally wouldnt have looked for him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayW9rFjIugA

Yeah, there's no sign there. I didn't even realize there's a quest for him. All he does is sit at Firelink shrine saying "I don't need it." He's supposed to leave at some point? And me to duel him? None of this is happening in my game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Are the ring of the evil eye and the usurpation of fire ending mutually exclusive? The wiki implies it but doesn't say so for sure. In a similar vein, is the ring of the evil eye given out for doing that quest in NG+ as well or will it get replaced by another item?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Man I've been hearing about how weak sorcerer builds are in this game, but at least you guys have some drat attacks. I made a Sunbro based around using offensive miracles (as soon as I unlocked them of course), just got to Carthus. I didn't pay attention to spells at all on my first playthrough so I was a little surprised that you don't get a single offensive miracle until towards the end of Farron Keep. DK2 was great because even if they did nerf magic, you still had tons of casts of lightning spear and emit force. I finally unlocked Lightning Spear and I can do about 5 casts per bar, and it does fuckall damage. Probably because I kept my faith at 20 since I don't think I'm anyway near getting another offensive spell that requires more. Also I haven't found a single faith scaling weapon. So now I have poo poo STR and DEX at the expense of FTH and ATT which are pretty much worthless to me right now. Don't get me wrong, the utility miracles are great (healing is great early on, and stuff like curing poison is nice) but I wish my build wasn't worthless right now. Also I grinded out 30 sunlight medals already and it turns out the Sunbro altar is waaaaay far into the game.

Lightning miracles are in a weird spot right now.

First: like all magic, the damage only really gets better than "just smack it with your sword" when you get over 40 Faith. The new soft-cap for spell scaling is 60, and the consequence of the new soft-cap is that you get basically jack poo poo for scaling at what seems like reasonable levels of Intelligence or Faith.

Second: Lightning Spear, Great Lightning Spear, and Sunlight Spear seem to do a lot more damage if you cast them point-blank, rather than at range. They can be thrown, but they have a big damage drop-off if you don't just slam the lightning directly into the target. Miracles are fully melee-magic now. (Disclaimer: I did see a random post in this thread last week that this is no longer true, but I can't test it myself yet and I haven't seen anything about Lightning Spear changes in patches or discussions of patches, so I'm pretty sure this is still the case.)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Lady posted:

Pride. Also, they might not know they don't actually lose anything.

I guess you could argue that crystaling out saves you from having to run and pick up your souls from dying as a red but I spend my souls before invading to avoid this problem.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

To be honest, offensive Faith build isn't worth it until NG+ I feel, or at least the final parts of NG. The first Faith scaling weapon I found was in Cathedral, and even then it's only D scaling. That said, once you get a Lightning Gem, Astora Greatsword plus high Faith will make up for the wait.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

quote:

Made the requirement for joining the Rosaria's Fingers less strict.

... What? Was there some other requisite aside from just walking up to her and stroking her weird blobby countenance to join that Covenant I wasn't aware of? :psyduck:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Emalde posted:

... What? Was there some other requisite aside from just walking up to her and stroking her weird blobby countenance to join that Covenant I wasn't aware of? :psyduck:

You didn't read the fine print? Oh dear...

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am finding out that playing and using voice with friends is pretty awesome. Is there a Steam group for Dark Soul 3 folks to team up or is it just kind of a random thing if you already know each other here?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Asehujiko posted:

Are the ring of the evil eye and the usurpation of fire ending mutually exclusive? The wiki implies it but doesn't say so for sure. In a similar vein, is the ring of the evil eye given out for doing that quest in NG+ as well or will it get replaced by another item?

No, you get the ring right before the questline splits. Talk to Anri in Ithyrill, get the ring, and don't kill the hidden pilgrim.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just sunbro'd for this handsome devil, and he spent the entire bossfight firing lovely little lasers that did like 100 damage. :shobon:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah, there's no sign there. I didn't even realize there's a quest for him. All he does is sit at Firelink shrine saying "I don't need it." He's supposed to leave at some point? And me to duel him? None of this is happening in my game.

Always exhaust the dialogue of Hawkwood to ensure he moves onto each stage of his storyline.

http://darksouls3.wikidot.com/hawkwood

Speak to Hawkwood at Firelink Shrine. Speak to him as you continue through the game to receive the Collapse gesture and the Farron ring.
He will disappear once you visit Archdragon Peak. Speak to Blacksmith Andre who tells you to collect 3 Dragon Stones (Dragon Torso Stone, Dragon Head Stone and Twinkling Dragon Torso Stone).
Once you have collected the Dragon Stones, head to the Abyss Watchers bonfire in Farron Keep. He will fight you there. If you die to Hawkwood, you will lose the Dragon Stones.
Defeating Hawkwood will grant you the Twinkling Dragon Head Stone.

On the other hand, the area for the third item is only reachable after the boss you can him summon too, so theres something fishy.
Maybe just cut him down? I dont know.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Schmetterling posted:

I just started playing, and put my sign down next to the first bonfire in the high wall. Me, another white summon, and the host just stepped onto an elevator when a purple person (invader? I have no idea!) appeared and ran onto the elevator, causing everyone to swing wildly and fall off the elevator to our deaths. Even the purple person. That was great.

Mound Makers Covenant Best Covenant.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

I haven't even watched that show and the picture still sums up Mound Makers perfectly. :allears:

Say, I've seen a lot of people lately who have started to admit that DS2 was a good game. I wonder if DS3 is the new "black sheep" in that the fans hate that it's not literally DS1 :qq: What do you guys reckon?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Your Computer posted:

I haven't even watched that show and the picture still sums up Mound Makers perfectly. :allears:

Say, I've seen a lot of people lately who have started to admit that DS2 was a good game. I wonder if DS3 is the new "black sheep" in that the fans hate that it's not literally DS1 :qq: What do you guys reckon?

A bunch of people are trying to play the hipster yeah, but even then a lot of them when pressed don't actually like DS2 that much still.

More people like it than the ones doing that though from all I've seen.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Blaziken386 posted:

Perfect

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm enjoying Smouldering Lake. I rushed the boss first time I reached the area, so I'm kinda backtracking through some sort of hellish catacombs. The starting area is unsettling as gently caress, the first enemies (the embered caprademons spinoffs) kicked my rear end a couple of times mobbing me with fast attacks which made me very cautious through the entire area, which added to the feeling of dread. As a plus, once you have gone through the are once you can evade 80% of the enemies, so it's pretty easy to go back to the place you died (the skeleton ninjas, in my case). Also, titanite everywhere.

I think I'm missing a few glowies: Can I go through the lava only with Flash Sweat? And how I get to the thing above the basilisks?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

I wonder if DS3 is the new "black sheep" in that the fans hate that it's not literally DS1 :qq: What do you guys reckon?

I don't think I've seen a single person say this outside of 4chan so you probably should stop hanging out there because it's a cesspool of bad opinions

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fat Samurai posted:

I think I'm missing a few glowies: And how I get to the thing above the basilisks?

Illusionary wall
then
try illusionary wall

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

To be honest, offensive Faith build isn't worth it until NG+ I feel, or at least the final parts of NG. The first Faith scaling weapon I found was in Cathedral, and even then it's only D scaling. That said, once you get a Lightning Gem, Astora Greatsword plus high Faith will make up for the wait.

Lothric Knight Sword also goes up to an S rank in FTH, although it only just barely beats a 40 STR Heavy Dark Sword at +10. It does do a little better once you get up to 60 FTH, although the scaling drops like a stone to 1:1 once you get past 40 FTH. (Split damage also makes it vastly less appealing, in general.)

FTH right now mostly only seems to be good for tricking idiot Estoc spammers in PVP with Lightning Stake, although it's hard as hell to get it off against anyone even remotely competent. In PVE, I'm almost always better served just attacking to stunlock something or strafe backstabbing when necessary. It's hard to make a case for it when Great Chaos Fire Orb exists and does ungodly good damage at short and medium range. I tried it out on a new character with about 25 INT/15 FTH and I just about screamed when it melted the crocodog in two casts + a sword hit.

Yardbomb posted:

A bunch of people are trying to play the hipster yeah, but even then a lot of them when pressed don't actually like DS2 that much still.

More people like it than the ones doing that though from all I've seen.

I've complained heartily about DS2 (see: my 9-some pages of posts in the DS2 thread), but it's also one of the games I've played the most on my Steam list with something like 300 total hours invested. It managed to hit most of the right buttons with me with character creation/versatility, has the most responsive controls out of any of the Souls games, and has a pretty open world once you figure out things like the Silvercat Ring existing and the Dragonrider trick. It lends itself well to repeated playthroughs, which gives it a unique charm that's hard to find in the action RPG market.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 25, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I don't think I've seen a single person say this outside of 4chan so you probably should stop hanging out there because it's a cesspool of bad opinions

Even on 4chins it's mostly just a few people trying to bait shitpost.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Hit up our very own ds2 thread

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

There are people who unironically hate DS2 because it's not DS1 on this very forum :shrug: I don't visit 4chan, that place is more of a cesspool of the worst people on the internet than a cesspool of bad opinions.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

How is casting in this game compared to dark souls one, the last dark souls game I played

I went Dex this run so I can make people bleed quickly but shooting Kamehamehas seems fun too

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lets hang out posted:

That sounds like a painful experience, no thank you

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

lets hang out posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if at least a chunk of DS3 hate wasn't from bitter DS2 people :v:

MrLonghair posted:

Interesting covenants.

I honestly remember like none of them anymore. Also poise does work, the problem is that it doesn't do what it used to. Poise now is the window/amount of super armor you have when swinging big weapons basically, it's not permanent uninterruptibilty.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 25, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
DS3 is a month and two days old, but DS2 came with poise working and interesting covenants.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

How is casting in this game compared to dark souls one, the last dark souls game I played

I went Dex this run so I can make people bleed quickly but shooting Kamehamehas seems fun too

Sorcery absolutely sucks compared to its DS1 implementation, aside from a few useful utility spells. It's not unplayable, but it's a considerably bigger struggle than it was back in DS1. Pyromancy is better than ever, although it requires an actual investment in both INT and FTH to make its damage worthwhile.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Dark Souls 2 world was fun and open from get go. Oh, I wanted to dual Caestus run from the get go? No problem. Ds3? gently caress MIYAZAKI CANT EAIT UNTIL HE GONE

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
DS3 is still a good game even though they brought over the bad mechanics from DS1 & 2 and seems like they didn't learn loving anything in the process of making it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Your Computer posted:

There are people who unironically hate DS2 because it's not DS1 on this very forum :shrug: I don't visit 4chan, that place is more of a cesspool of the worst people on the internet than a cesspool of bad opinions.
I didn't really like DS2. Mainly because one of the required areas was a spider infested hellhole and I am a massive pansy.
I remember that the PvP was a bit more accessible that 1, so that's good, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

Sorcery absolutely sucks compared to its DS1 implementation, aside from a few useful utility spells. It's not unplayable, but it's a considerably bigger struggle than it was back in DS1. Pyromancy is better than ever, although it requires an actual investment in both INT and FTH to make its damage worthwhile.

So it's not a joke at the start anymore? Hmm, that might make things slightly interesting to me. Socery and Fatih stuff are bad?