Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pyromancy is average to good at the beginning of the game but becomes amazing as soon as you get to the smouldering lake and get great chaos fire orb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it bothered me that dying in DS3 has no visible degradation effect on your character (assuming you don't take any of Yoel's hollowing mojo). i really liked that DS2 not only zombified you (as opposed to just normal / beef-jerky light switch) but also that you got progressively more zombified the more you died - losing more clumps of hair or more patches of skin or etc. it's a small detail with no bearing on the gameplay but it was cool and i have no idea why they would remove it

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Rough Lobster posted:

Man I've been hearing about how weak sorcerer builds are in this game, but at least you guys have some drat attacks. I made a Sunbro based around using offensive miracles (as soon as I unlocked them of course), just got to Carthus. I didn't pay attention to spells at all on my first playthrough so I was a little surprised that you don't get a single offensive miracle until towards the end of Farron Keep. DK2 was great because even if they did nerf magic, you still had tons of casts of lightning spear and emit force. I finally unlocked Lightning Spear and I can do about 5 casts per bar, and it does fuckall damage. Probably because I kept my faith at 20 since I don't think I'm anyway near getting another offensive spell that requires more. Also I haven't found a single faith scaling weapon. So now I have poo poo STR and DEX at the expense of FTH and ATT which are pretty much worthless to me right now. Don't get me wrong, the utility miracles are great (healing is great early on, and stuff like curing poison is nice) but I wish my build wasn't worthless right now. Also I grinded out 30 sunlight medals already and it turns out the Sunbro altar is waaaaay far into the game.

You're not a faith build, you're a pyromancer until late game. Pyromancy scales off of faith and starts to get really good right after Farron Keep. 10 Int for flame arc is recommended, it will make your damage quite good. If you want to switch to using mostly miracles in the late game, then you can do so without needing to respec.

TheQat posted:

Is that patch out now, or coming out today? There's an awful lot it doesn't mention, like autosummons . . . hopefully some stuff is just not in the notes

My Japanese is crap, but according to the link posted, the release date is "to be determined".

To answer a question I posted yesterday, NK is, perhaps not surprisingly, quite weak to dark damage. He's practically immune to lightning, seems to be a little strong against fire and weak to dark. I suspect he's also quite strong to magic, because my drakeblood greatsword almost couldn't scratch him. To give some perspective, at 10 int, 40 faith, a buffed drakeblood greatsword with 770 AR was hitting him for a little over 200. A Dark lothric knight sword at around 380 AR was hitting for the same amount of damage. The fight probably took me nearly 20 tries, but of course the time I switched my weapon away from dark to test the chaos infusion, Everything suddenly came to together and I wrecked him easily, solo and unembered.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Blaziken386 posted:

I didn't really like DS2. Mainly because one of the required areas was a spider infested hellhole and I am a massive pansy.
I remember that the PvP was a bit more accessible that 1, so that's good, I guess.

SOTFS wouldn't change your mind.

They made that spider infested hellhole worse.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Pyromancy is stupid good from the very start and doesn't even require the massive stat investment that sorceries and miracles do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Nu-uh, they made it a complete cakewalk if you know the secret*

*If you hold up a torch, spiders literally won't get near you. You can even kill them and they'll never do anything other than cowerpoor things

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Have they said anything about how many DLC packs they plan to release? I don't like to buy season passes unless I actually know what its value is, but so few publishers actually say anything about what the season pass will get you other than "all the DLC" (or in some cases "most of the DLC")

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

So it's not a joke at the start anymore? Hmm, that might make things slightly interesting to me. Socery and Fatih stuff are bad?

Sorcery requires a rather massive stat investment and 2-3 ring slots before it starts to see results, and you'll be most of the way through the game by that point. Faith mostly deals with melee-ranged castings and some useful buffs, but it requires a similar investment and the damage is rarely worth it compared to either plugging someone with arrows or hitting them with a sword.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

homeless poster posted:

it bothered me that dying in DS3 has no visible degradation effect on your character (assuming you don't take any of Yoel's hollowing mojo). i really liked that DS2 not only zombified you (as opposed to just normal / beef-jerky light switch) but also that you got progressively more zombified the more you died - losing more clumps of hair or more patches of skin or etc. it's a small detail with no bearing on the gameplay but it was cool and i have no idea why they would remove it
I would have liked that, had they not made you lose facial hair as you got more hollowed. Green zombie skin? Sure, I can look like moldy beef jerky. But when they give you a character creator that lets you have a giant pink mustache, they better let me keep the drat giant pink mustache. :colbert:

Shindragon posted:

Apparently the spiders completely ignore you if you're holding a torch. Doesn't change the fact that they're still there, and they're still loving creepy.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Hamsterlady posted:

Have they said anything about how many DLC packs they plan to release? I don't like to buy season passes unless I actually know what it's value is, but so few publishers actually say anything about what the season pass will get you other than "all the DLC" (or in some cases "most of the DLC")

Doesnt matter, every single piece of Dark Souls and Bloodborne DLC have been the best in the game

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Hamsterlady posted:

Have they said anything about how many DLC packs they plan to release? I don't like to buy season passes unless I actually know what its value is, but so few publishers actually say anything about what the season pass will get you other than "all the DLC" (or in some cases "most of the DLC")

Believe the store page says two DLCs. Think that's it for into on it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o57vqbdD261skyru2_480.mp4#_=_
I really love the silly things people have found in this game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Blaziken386 posted:

I would have liked that, had they not made you lose facial hair as you got more hollowed. Green zombie skin? Sure, I can look like moldy beef jerky. But when they give you a character creator that lets you have a giant pink mustache, they better let me keep the drat giant pink mustache. :colbert:

Apparently the spiders completely ignore you if you're holding a torch. Doesn't change the fact that they're still there, and they're still loving creepy.

Oh no I get what you are coming from, I hate spiders myself. And yeah I know that trick. I just didn't bring it up because it's like no matter if there is a way to make them less tedious it's still goddamn creepy.

I hate revisiting that place.

I'm just glad I beat the boss in one try so I don't have to go back down there.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I'm one of the people that overall enjoyed DS2 a little more than 3. I thought 3 was a fine game and had some of the best bosses of the series, but the environments were unique and surreal in 2, and it had seemingly way more polished mechanics and tuning (outside of Soul Memory). In 2, I never felt funneled or trapped into building my character a certain way, and a variety of playstyles all felt powerful. The covenants were really cool and had NPCs that spoke to you and had a lot of character, unlike 3's static models or found item covenants.

Here's hoping they retune DS3 quite a bit through patches to make different playstyles more viable, and that the DLC adds more interesting environments rather than Castle/Castle Ruins/Swamp Castle Ruins/Castle City/etc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm glad I eventually was able to beat Freja first try because the bonfire run to that place sucked rear end.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tracula posted:

Believe the store page says two DLCs. Think that's it for into on it.

Fromsoft games are ridiculous. The game's only been out for two weeks (?!) and I'm already hyped as hell for the DLC. :darksouls:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw

Apparently poise is turned off either intentionally or unintentionally. You can hack a value to a 1 and make it work.
jesus christ fromsoft

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
All I remember about the DS3 DLC was it's gonna take a while. Best bet six months or more. And yeah Fromsoft really delivers on the DLC. DS1 was good, DS2 was overall good, Blooborne was good.

Can't wait to see what they think up for DS3's dlc.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If that poise thing really is a 0-1 toggle and not just someone loving around with stuff they haven't fully dissected, it's probably like Bloodborne's hidden equip burden stat, where it was in but then they changed their mind for game balance reasons. In the case of Bloodborne, they had the stat in and then took it out, but in DS3 it might be the other way around.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Oh no I get what you are coming from, I hate spiders myself. And yeah I know that trick. I just didn't bring it up because it's like no matter if there is a way to make them less tedious it's still goddamn creepy.

I hate revisiting that place.

I'm just glad I beat the boss in one try so I don't have to go back down there.

Heck, I don't have any problem with spidersmy phobia's only for winged bugs and I still hate that place. I've done dozens of playthroughs of DS2 and I always do that place last because I dread going there. It probably doesn't help that I always have trouble fighting the boss (and then have to run a looong way back). I've resigned myself to just summoning Ashen Knight Boyd when I get here, he can take care of the boss for me while I cower in a corner.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

To answer a question I posted yesterday, NK is, perhaps not surprisingly, quite weak to dark damage. He's practically immune to lightning, seems to be a little strong against fire and weak to dark. I suspect he's also quite strong to magic, because my drakeblood greatsword almost couldn't scratch him. To give some perspective, at 10 int, 40 faith, a buffed drakeblood greatsword with 770 AR was hitting him for a little over 200. A Dark lothric knight sword at around 380 AR was hitting for the same amount of damage. The fight probably took me nearly 20 tries, but of course the time I switched my weapon away from dark to test the chaos infusion, Everything suddenly came to together and I wrecked him easily, solo and unembered.

My 50 int sorc killed NK at range just fine. He has less resistance to magic at least than the last boss who i had to change to dark because he was so resistant to my strongest sorceries.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm enjoying Smouldering Lake. I rushed the boss first time I reached the area, so I'm kinda backtracking through some sort of hellish catacombs. The starting area is unsettling as gently caress, the first enemies (the embered caprademons spinoffs) kicked my rear end a couple of times mobbing me with fast attacks which made me very cautious through the entire area, which added to the feeling of dread. As a plus, once you have gone through the are once you can evade 80% of the enemies, so it's pretty easy to go back to the place you died (the skeleton ninjas, in my case). Also, titanite everywhere.

I think I'm missing a few glowies: Can I go through the lava only with Flash Sweat? And how I get to the thing above the basilisks?

Sup fellow SmoLake liker.

For the glowy--go explore the giant rat's nest.

For the lava--I put on my best fire absorption stuff and used Flash Sweat with both pyromancy-boosting rings, and I still had to chug estus like mad. For the ones you can run to you can guard with the dragoncrest shield on the way to them and take negligible damage until you grab the item but the item in the far back of the long gallery with a trap hole in the ceiling pretty much requires you to clear all the lava oozes from range, drop in run while chugging to the item and still probably die on your way out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vermain posted:

I'm glad I eventually was able to beat Freja first try because the bonfire run to that place sucked rear end.

That's the thing I dislike the most about DS2, really lovely boss runs.

In DS3 is much better about less aggravating boss runs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does ringing the bell at the Ancient Wyvern do anything? I forgot to go back and do it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Oh yeah, I know the DLC will be good, I just like to know exactly what I'm buying before I buy it. Thanks for the quick answers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

Does ringing the bell at the Ancient Wyvern do anything? I forgot to go back and do it.

It reveals the boss of the area that is awesome and one of the best in the whole game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I went back to DS1 after beating DS3 and hoo boy it is rough.

Even with DSfix it looks like crap, but more importantly it feels like an eternity between bonfires. And backtracking is awful. I was playing it in conjunction with my friend who has never played any souls game before, and he almost gave up a few times because he just couldn't find where to go, or went in circles one too many times. And he hasn't even been to the catacombs yet.

DS3 being more linear and having warps automatically puts it above DS1. I'm even willing to put DS2 above DS1. Sen's Fortress isn't fun either.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

Sen's Fortress isn't fun either.

hosed up if true

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

I went back to DS1 after beating DS3 and hoo boy it is rough.

Even with DSfix it looks like crap, but more importantly it feels like an eternity between bonfires. And backtracking is awful. I was playing it in conjunction with my friend who has never played any souls game before, and he almost gave up a few times because he just couldn't find where to go, or went in circles one too many times. And he hasn't even been to the catacombs yet.

DS3 being more linear and having warps automatically puts it above DS1. I'm even willing to put DS2 above DS1. Sen's Fortress isn't fun either.

You take that back. You take it back right now.

Sen's Fortress owns (and I say this having just replayed DS1 before playing DS3) :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Having to find shortcuts that bring the world together in more interesting ways than the other souls games because there's no warping so they need to link together areas in ways that make sense spatially in neat ways makes ds1's level design/exploring way more cool

sen's fortress owns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

It reveals the boss of the area that is awesome and one of the best in the whole game.

Well I guess I'm doing that then! Thanks.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any fun archery builds/weapons out there? I've been running a dex pyromancer and want a change of pace.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

IronicDongz posted:

Having to find shortcuts that bring the world together in more interesting ways than the other souls games because there's no warping so they need to link together areas in ways that make sense spatially in neat ways makes ds1's level design/exploring way more cool

sen's fortress owns

Yeah the shortcuts in DS3 don't really make much sense to me because there's not really much of a reason to go back to an area you've already cleared and even if you wanted to warping is way faster.

When I played Bloodborne it seemed like the shortcuts were useful because the lantern would start you at the beginning of an area, at which point you could use an opened shortcut to go straight to the boss. Here it seems like there's almost always a bonfire right before the boss room.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Okay, sen's fortress isn't fun the third time through. The only REAL unfun part is the last set of blades with a snakeman waiting to knock you off and undo all your progress. Unless you mean "Dwarf Fortress" "Fun" in which case yes Sen's is very "Fun". Especially when you just want to get the lordvessel so you can do the DS1 DLC you've never played.

IronicDongz posted:

sen's fortress owns

except when the shortcuts aren't nearly as short as you'd like. Case in point, Quelaag's domain back to firelink. That, and having to remember where everything is. Put up some signs or something, god drat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Okay, sen's fortress isn't fun the third time through. The only REAL unfun part is the last set of blades with a snakeman waiting to knock you off and undo all your progress. Unless you mean "Dwarf Fortress" "Fun" in which case yes Sen's is very "Fun". Especially when you just want to get the lordvessel so you can do the DS1 DLC you've never played.

It takes like 15 minutes to get through if you want to leave and know where to go.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The only thing I dislike about DS1's warping is that when you unlock it, it seems like the bonfires you can warp to are completely arbitrary. Like, there's 3 you can warp to in Anor Londo, and you can warp to both the Undead Parish and Altar of Sunlight, but nowhere in Darkroot Garden/Basin?
Also, New Londo Ruins not having any bonfires period sucked.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dromer posted:

Are there any fun archery builds/weapons out there? I've been running a dex pyromancer and want a change of pace.

Is an archery build even possible in this game with the limited amount of arrows you can carry?

I remember Lobos Jr lamenting this on his first run of DS3, something like "they just ruined the possibility of so many challenge runs". Of course, if you're going to do a challenge run like that in the first place you might as well just Cheat Engine yourself an infinite amount (which he'll undoubtedly do).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw

Apparently poise is turned off either intentionally or unintentionally. You can hack a value to a 1 and make it work.

Here is that same video but actually showing the poise value
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo

FromSoft, are you loving kidding me?! You have it in the game, but apparently decided "lol no muh difficulty" and disabled it? That's loving stupid.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blaziken386 posted:

Also, New Londo Ruins not having any bonfires period sucked.

Agreed, but I appreciate that they saw through the idea of "a level with no bonfires" as a good challenge to the player, much like "a level with no natural light sources" was. It takes an understanding of the game's fundamental mechanics and uses that as a means of testing player ability. New Londo is the toughest level in the game as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Agreed, but I appreciate that they saw through the idea of "a level with no bonfires" as a good challenge to the player, much like "a level with no natural light sources" was. It takes an understanding of the game's fundamental mechanics and uses that as a means of testing player ability. New Londo is the toughest level in the game as a result.

New Londo is really easy though?