Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

raditts posted:

Does Magnolia speak English in the Japanese version for the parts where she randomly speaks French in the US version?

She speaks English, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm excited for the Ni-Oh demo that releases tomorrow.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w2RMBrmTsk

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't know what games are coming out in may, but I know that may is when my birthday is so I will celebrate my birthday by doing absolutely fuckall and playing some video games
mirrors edge catalyst
battleborn (lol)
doom (lol)
shadow complex remastered on Steam if you didnt get it free through the holiday deal
postal redux (lol)
wildstar on steam (lol)
homefront 2

some indies in may
this puzzle platformer has good art http://store.steampowered.com/app/463760
this point n click has good art http://store.steampowered.com/app/370910/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_6
this game looks like Oxyd anyone remember that old game http://store.steampowered.com/app/425410
its the superhot-esque stealth game http://store.steampowered.com/app/425210/
a platformer based on infographics? could be neat http://store.steampowered.com/app/373990/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_10
more zombie games http://store.steampowered.com/app/252610/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_10

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Why is there a Postal Redux?

Also lol Wildstar on Steam.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this guy should like just wear a loving tshirt and jeans. or a regular suit if he's going to try to look professional

also the hatred of gyro controls reminds me a lot of how the press couldn't handle dual stick controls in the PS1 era

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I can't stay mad at Jim when he drops some Erasure on me.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Golden Goat posted:

Morning Games chat, I played more Dark Souls III and Star Fox Zero over the weekend.

Very minor gripe at the moment with Dark Souls but I thought it was kinda dumb that (Undead Settlement Spoiler)Siegmeyer is basically in the game under the name Siegward. He's cool and all but he feels kinda shoved in there. It's kinda silly to clone a dude straight for that and give him a big reveal going "Hey remember this dude!"

It's minor and I know what others really wanted from DS3 was more DS1but it irks me a bit when it's like that.

Get the gently caress out.

No.

Seriously.

Get the gently caress out.

Dissing my Onion bro?

Get out. :colbert:

DS2 was basically hey remember DS1, so not sure why you would think that this would be any different.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 25, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I know it's sorta hard to manage two screens but he's really exaggerating how bad the whole "Point screen at enemy and hit shoot" motion controls are in Star Fox Zero.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I do love how he's trolling Nintendo, Konami, various other game studios and some music copyright holders who will all fight over the content ID claim.

Especially since his Jimquistions are ad free and have been, but if he uses any footage from say Nintendo they'll content ID it and try to monetize the video.

Quest For Glory II posted:

this guy should like just wear a loving tshirt and jeans. or a regular suit if he's going to try to look professional

also the hatred of gyro controls reminds me a lot of how the press couldn't handle dual stick controls in the PS1 era

I don't think you get the gimmick behind his outfit/set.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Shindragon posted:

DS2 was basically hey remember DS1, so not sure why you would think that this would be any different.
I don't remember DS2 having literally a Sieg clone appearing with the same armor, same mannerisms and the very same voice actor but with a different character name.

I'm fine with equipment from other games and having the item blurbs having references but straight up identical characters is a kinda bad reference.

Anyway it's not a huge deal, I find that one character to be lazy. Everybody else in the game is great so far.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Golden Goat posted:

I don't remember DS2 having literally a Sieg clone appearing with the same armor, same mannerisms and the very same voice actor but with a different character name.

I'm fine with equipment from other games and having the item blurbs having references but straight up identical characters is a kinda bad reference.

Anyway it's not a huge deal, I find that one character to be lazy. Everybody else in the game is great so far.

I was gonna be a smart rear end and said he invades in DS2 in NG+. :v:

But he doesn't talk in that so point taken.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't think you get the gimmick behind his outfit/set.
is the gimmick that he looks loving terrible

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

is the gimmick that he looks loving terrible
Pretty much.

Shindragon posted:

I was gonna be a smart rear end and said he invades in DS2 in NG+. :v:

But he doesn't talk in that so point taken.
Yeah honestly I'd be fine if he was a invader or just didn't seem so similar personality wise to Meyer.

He's still a cool bro and I loved helping him take out a fire demon. Maybe later on his personality changes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah honestly I'd be fine if he was a invader or just didn't seem so similar personality wise to Meyer.

He's still a cool bro and I loved helping him take out a fire demon. Maybe later on his personality changes.

Siegward and Siegmeyer are two very different characters.

Plus, onion bros are cool, one's gonna help you out at the church so you'd better get your act straight!!!!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I look forward to finding out about his side quest in NG+ since it's literally impossible to complete these side quests blind.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

I agree with you that some of the elements in DS3 feel a little fanservicey, but dag gummit I love me some Dark Souls, so IDGAF. I imagine that's what most other people are feeling too when they see all the overt references in this game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It ain't ruining the game so far. Just a minor gripe with it.

Though that super slow feeling swamp section could ruin it all.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

i don't even think that pc fps's had standardized on wasd + mouselook being the default control scheme until half-life 1 came around. quake one defaulted to arrow keys and turned mouse look off by default (even though everybody enabled it).

i mean, it was definitely common before HL1, and QuakeWorld popularized it, but I think that HL1 was the first retail game to use WASD + mouselook as the out of the box control scheme.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ds2 was ds1 references but worse, like how the cool skeleton man turned into the rotten and gwyn into a boring fire demon. Ds3 is ds1 references but better, such as Siegward being way cooler than Siegmeyer.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Barf. At least Zero Punctuation is over quickly.

I love that the Onion Knight in DS3 is stymied by an elevator that only goes down when he needs to go up, and thinks "Maybe if I got a running start? No, no, that won't work..." I think the training regimen for knights in Seigland is a stright-forward affair consisting of hitting things with big swords and being round.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's really bizarre to me that people are surprised by FROM games having callbacks, elements and characters from other FROM games. That's basically the entire company's Thing

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

If you equip a dagger you can use the skill to quickstep through at top speed, even at 0 FP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure we played Quake 1 totally on the keyboard because that's how we played Doom and Duke Nukem, wtf is this mouse look poo poo, ugh.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you equip a dagger you can use the skill to quickstep through at top speed, even at 0 FP.

Thank you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Souls 2 was referential in the worst possible way, because none of the references really made sense or even remotely mattered. Dark Souls 3 does what Dark Souls 2 should have just done, but didn't have the balls to do, and I'm all for it. Dark Souls 2 doesn't really have anything "Dark Souls" in its make-up. The words are there, the terms are the same, it's got the same basic make-up, but the atmosphere, the mood, the energy, that's all gone. It feels like somebody made a totally other game, then just stuffed Dark Souls references into it. Dark Souls 3, meanwhile, basically just "completes" the story of Dark Souls 1, which is all anybody would have wanted from a sequel. The problem is now that this sequel is the capstone of a trilogy, and so it all feels slightly done before.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's really bizarre to me that people are surprised by FROM games having callbacks, elements and characters from other FROM games. That's basically the entire company's Thing

Patches and the moonlight great sword are also in it!!!! :monocle:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Golden Goat posted:

I know it's sorta hard to manage two screens but he's really exaggerating how bad the whole "Point screen at enemy and hit shoot" motion controls are in Star Fox Zero.

It takes quite a long time to get used to tbh, it's not a well done control scheme.

Edit: the grenade button on the Vita touch screen only looks like a good idea because the rear touch pad is a tyre fire, two potential buttons murdered by Sony engineering.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 25, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I watched someone playing it and it didnt seem that difficult to grok, I honestly think gyro aiming is pretty rad. I wish that Kid Icarus Uprising had it

also its a bad sign if people do hate gyro aiming because that's what I'm assuming all VR games are going to be relying on to some extent

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think the bigger problem is that it's dual screen more then the motion controls.

It's the fact it cuts your attention between the two that seems to be the worst part of it.

Like I feel if it was adjusted to use a wiimote and nunchuck it would have went down smoother.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Seath is in Kings Field?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Broseph Brostar posted:

Seath is in Kings Field?

He's the last boss of KF2 IIRC

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

The swamp section initially feels very convoluted because of all the trees and foliage, but after you've run around it's not too bad, certainly nowhere near as hellish as the swamp section in Demon's Souls.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FanaticalMilk posted:

The swamp section initially feels very convoluted because of all the trees and foliage, but after you've run around it's not too bad, certainly nowhere near as hellish as the swamp section in Demon's Souls.

It's more when you try to traverse the deeper bog sections it was annoyingly slow. Fixed now that I know I can quickstep through.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He's the last boss of KF2 IIRC
This owns. I had no idea about this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like the Dark Souls III swamp but I do wish there weren't those super-deep sections where you can't sprint at all. The fastest mode of travel then becomes rolling, and what kind of idiot would repeatedly roll through stinky, murky, poisonous swamp water in real life

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Those giant crabs can suck my dick.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Giant Crabs kept getting stuck on trees so I just keep pelting them with arrows.

Also the rapier/estoc is silly effective against NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

Those giant crabs can suck my dick.

Ow.

• Locked thread