Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Has anybody here ever upgraded their Mazda to the factory stereo with the built in display/DVD/GPS? What was your opinion of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Getting my VVT serviced on my MS3. Glad it didn't detonate on me.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Fart Cannon posted:

Getting my VVT serviced on my MS3. Glad it didn't detonate on me.

How did you know it was time? I'm worried about mine just because my car has 130K. Every time I get an oil change at Mazda I ask them to check, though, and so far they say it's good. I assume they'd want to make the sale if they could? Idk

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Or they're not checking anything because that would probably involve removing the IC and valve cover? Also I don't know what I'm talking about.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

EDIT: Stupid question. Meant timing belt, not chain.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 22, 2016

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The automatic in the newer Mazdas is pretty great.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

The automatic in the newer Mazdas is pretty great.

Yeah they're pretty nifty. And if you get a high trim level you get paddle shifters for extra wackiness when getting on the freeway.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

Yeah they're pretty nifty. And if you get a high trim level you get paddle shifters for extra wackiness when getting on the freeway.

Yea I have a 3s, but I never use the paddles. Just throw it in Sport mode. It's fun!

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
A/C stopped blowing cold on our 3, the fuses look good and I dont think refrigerant has leaked out (do I need to buy a gauge to know for sure? Car is only 2 years old). What else should I check?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Only 2 years old? I'd be looking for my warranty paperwork.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea I have a 3s, but I never use the paddles. Just throw it in Sport mode. It's fun!

Fellow 3s here. :hfive: Sport mode is fun but I find it waits way too long to shift, I assume it was designed that way waiting for the driver to do something. That's where the paddles are sort of handy if you're trying to get to 60 asap on a lovely ramp that's too short.

Vulcan posted:

A/C stopped blowing cold on our 3, the fuses look good and I dont think refrigerant has leaked out (do I need to buy a gauge to know for sure? Car is only 2 years old). What else should I check?

Turn on the on the front window defroster as a way to ensure you don't have a bad A/C button, running the defroster also uses the A/C compressor. Otherwise once on pop the hood and see if the compressor is getting run by the belt?

Also at two years just make the dealership figure it out.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

grahm posted:

How did you know it was time? I'm worried about mine just because my car has 130K. Every time I get an oil change at Mazda I ask them to check, though, and so far they say it's good. I assume they'd want to make the sale if they could? Idk

It started making a bunch of loving noise on startup and there was a knocking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's making a bunch of noise or the manual says it's time to do it. You will be able to hear the knocking sound (the chain hitting the valve cover) at idle with the windows rolled down.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Anyone know what size screw/nut to use for the screw removal method of getting a seized brake rotor off? I need to make sure I have all my poo poo in order BEFORE starting the job. I can't seem to find what size screw holds the caliper onto that bracket.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
A m2x40 deadblow hammer.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Fabulousity posted:

Guessing wheel bearing or damaged tire. Have a shop take a look, especially at the wheel that ate the pothole impact.

Driver's front, passenger's rear wheels are both bent. gently caress potholes.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Fart Cannon posted:

It started making a bunch of loving noise on startup and there was a knocking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's making a bunch of noise or the manual says it's time to do it. You will be able to hear the knocking sound (the chain hitting the valve cover) at idle with the windows rolled down.

That's only on the extreme end. My wife couldn't even tell that the car sounded any different from normal, but the VVT actuator had a nice chunk broken out of it (http://imgur.com/a/Y69s0).
It's pretty easy to tell if you need it now by grabbing the chain through the oil filler and seeing if it has some slack (which it shouldn't). With that said, even if it doesn't have any slack, it still might not be a bad idea to replace it since it's really common for the pin on the original VVT actuators to force itself out, or at least try to like mine did.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

MetaJew posted:

A m2x40 deadblow hammer.

the world's tiniest, most useless deadblow hammer.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

the world's tiniest, most useless deadblow hammer.

2 kg x 40 cm

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Aexo posted:

Driver's front, passenger's rear wheels are both bent. gently caress potholes.

Time for steel wheels? I don't know if they could withstand that either but might be a chance?

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

stoko posted:

That's only on the extreme end. My wife couldn't even tell that the car sounded any different from normal, but the VVT actuator had a nice chunk broken out of it (http://imgur.com/a/Y69s0).
It's pretty easy to tell if you need it now by grabbing the chain through the oil filler and seeing if it has some slack (which it shouldn't). With that said, even if it doesn't have any slack, it still might not be a bad idea to replace it since it's really common for the pin on the original VVT actuators to force itself out, or at least try to like mine did.

Any idea if the new parts are better made?

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
Yeah, they hardened the metal around the pin, which seems to have fixed the issue.

Here's a copy of the service bulletin: http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/documents/01-010-11-2508.pdf

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Note: the piston retraction tool from princess auto does NOT work with Mazda 3 rear rotors. The little nubs on the tool are too wide to fit onto the piston.

The 1/2x3" bolts I was gonna use to bust the rotors off were way too big. So I went to town with a deadblow. Rage made them move.

gently caress you road salt. Suck my dick from the back.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I always forget to buy one of those piston tools and end up using a sketchy combination of a C clamp and needle nose pliers

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Hey, I'm looking at this '08 Mazda 6. I test drove it and didn't notice anything unusual, but I'm still going to take it to my usual garage tomorrow to get checked out. I was looking for some general knowledge and advice with the model, as well as what to look forward to maintenance wise.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Hey thread! I left a WRX with a spun rod to die at a CarMax and found a kickass '13 Mazda3 to replace it. I love everything about the car so far, but I think I'm noticing a slight shudder on the headlights when I'm braking. Is this something a firmware update could fix, or more likely mechanically related? Car's got less than 30k miles on it, so I want to make sure I catch anything before it could snowball. Glad to join the mazda crew!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do the headlights have an auto-leveling function?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Not to my knowledge. The only switch I have in that panel is traction control. I'm concerned about load-balance because it only seems to happen when decelerating, but it might just be my imagination.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm looking at getting a mazda 6 to replace my truck. Preferably a V6 or a turbo 2.3 if I can find one in my price range (which I don't know yet, but should be in the 6-7k range), and probably from 03-07 with years. Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for with common issues? How is the reliability with them? Rust shouldn't be a major problem with me living in florida, but if someone could point out the best places to check, it would be much appreciated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm looking at getting a mazda 6 to replace my truck. Preferably a V6 or a turbo 2.3 if I can find one in my price range (which I don't know yet, but should be in the 6-7k range), and probably from 03-07 with years. Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for with common issues? How is the reliability with them? Rust shouldn't be a major problem with me living in florida, but if someone could point out the best places to check, it would be much appreciated.

Don't buy an MS6 that has been modded by a previous owner. You're just asking for it then.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bill NYSE posted:

Hey thread! I left a WRX with a spun rod to die at a CarMax and found a kickass '13 Mazda3 to replace it. I love everything about the car so far, but I think I'm noticing a slight shudder on the headlights when I'm braking. Is this something a firmware update could fix, or more likely mechanically related? Car's got less than 30k miles on it, so I want to make sure I catch anything before it could snowball. Glad to join the mazda crew!

Probably something broken or loose in the headlamp. Odds on you'll need a new one to fix it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I went autocrossing last weekend. I forgot to record my fastest run, but here's my second fastest:

I was somehow 3-4 seconds slower than the Focus ST cars in G-Stock. The only thing I have different from stock is a set of 17x8 RPF1s with Conti ExtremeContact tires. So, nothing fancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPwYzM5-MEg

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Don't buy an MS6 that has been modded by a previous owner. You're just asking for it then.

I know, but the siren song of that turbocharged motor is hard to resist. Then again, there is a dealership in orlando with a mazda 6 with a stick, v6, sunroof and leather interior for 3500 which is half of what a cheap speed6 is in my area. If it was dark grey instead of black, it would check every one of my boxes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bill NYSE posted:

Not to my knowledge. The only switch I have in that panel is traction control. I'm concerned about load-balance because it only seems to happen when decelerating, but it might just be my imagination.

So it's a halogen headlight? Did you have the bulb replaced recently? On the first gen they have a really annoying clip holding them in and if it isn't in right the bulb will wiggle around. It's probably similar in the newer ones too.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Appears to be the stock headlamps. I do have some wiggle room so I'll replace the clips and see if that sets me right. Thanks!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I think someone here is in Austin right? Which shop do you use? Because what a surprise, MSF was totally helpful when I asked :rolleyes: I need an alignment (a place that can work with rear camber arms) and 120k service.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm in Austin. I think I have heard good things about Soul Speed. I haven't personally used them.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Bill NYSE posted:

My '12 3 does it, my local shop said it's firmware related and a dealership will/should take care of it. I haven't had the time to go to a dealer (none nearby + laze) but I'll be getting it taken care of this summer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

air- posted:

I think someone here is in Austin right? Which shop do you use? Because what a surprise, MSF was totally helpful when I asked :rolleyes: I need an alignment (a place that can work with rear camber arms) and 120k service.

This guy owns. He's in Pflugerville though.

http://www.onizukadesign.com/jerrys/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

I know, but the siren song of that turbocharged motor is hard to resist. Then again, there is a dealership in orlando with a mazda 6 with a stick, v6, sunroof and leather interior for 3500 which is half of what a cheap speed6 is in my area. If it was dark grey instead of black, it would check every one of my boxes.

Trust me dude, that song will kill your wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Trust me dude, that song will kill your wallet.

Yes it will. My goddamn Jeep has been cheaper to run than my MS3 was.

Still miss that song sometimes, though.