Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

True, but Laura needs someone to just hang out and eat pizza and watch netflix with and stuff. A Nightcrawler to her Wolverine. Maybe they can start up a new verison of the Defenders with Wolverine, Squirrel Girl, Hawkeye, Ms America, Hellcat and Valkyrie.

I've said it since the start of the ANAD Marvel, Laura and Warren are Bendis baggage that needs to be ejected ASAP, and I'm glad it only took a handful of issues. I really do miss the other new Mutants though. I really wanted to see Goldballs and Tempest to become part of the Glob Herman posse.

Honestly, I really hate that Bendis dragged her back into X-Men in the first place. Her whole arc had been about her finding her own place outside the X-Men, but then she gets turned into a prop. I mean, I'm not sure the alternative (Avengers Undercover) was any better, but honestly I'd be perfectly happy if she just went away into her solo book. specially since in ANXM she's generic Tough Girl #23. She don't need no X-Men.

Also I looked at that preview art again and ohmygod Gabby apparently has a pet Wolverine (the animal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly, I really hate that Bendis dragged her back into X-Men in the first place. Her whole arc had been about her finding her own place outside the X-Men, but then she gets turned into a prop. I mean, I'm not sure the alternative (Avengers Undercover) was any better, but honestly I'd be perfectly happy if she just went away into her solo book. specially since in ANXM she's generic Tough Girl #23. She don't need no X-Men.

Also I looked at that preview art again and ohmygod Gabby apparently has a pet Wolverine (the animal).

Oh yea. My hope is that she is on non-xmen teams, maybe when they reorganize the Avengers, she can be on one of their teams. I'd love to see her and Cap together, also Laura and Kamala would be very interesting to see together as well.

While I like her on All New, I would have prefered if they had taken someone else to be the Girl on the team. Aformentioned Tempest or even hope could have filled that role.

Something X-men needs despratly is a 100% school book. Extraordinary kinda does it, but I want to see the kids going to class, I want to see Illyana trying to teach a class and so on. Even if it was a limited series I want to see some soap opera drama in X-men again.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
What X-Men needs is something like a 0.99 biweekly digital comic so they can afford to do an actual book that picks up on the six thousand decent characters they've generated over the last thirty years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

What Marvel needs is something like a 0.99 biweekly digital comic so they can afford to do an actual book that picks up on the six thousand decent characters they've generated over the last thirty years.

Fixed that for you.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
This is such a minor complaint, but it bugs me that Glob Herman in Extraordinary X-Men is just Rockslide-- same general attitude, same bantery relationship with Anole, etc. I can't imagine that Jeff Lemire wasn't allowed to use Rockslide since as far as I know he isn't up to anything anywhere else, so it just seems like sort of a pointless rehash.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Jeff Lemire Doesn't Know How To Write Any Of These Characters: The Comic

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Because there's a deep and well established canon for Glob loving Herman.

Extraordinary X-Men is fine. Maybe Anole will get to do stuff other than being inoffensively gay and punch one thing with his big arm now that he's Savage Dragon.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Something X-men needs despratly is a 100% school book. Extraordinary kinda does it, but I want to see the kids going to class, I want to see Illyana trying to teach a class and so on. Even if it was a limited series I want to see some soap opera drama in X-men again.

The weirdest thing to me is that ANXM feels the closest to a school book even though it's got nothing to do with the school.

Marvel, please promote the good X-books more and put better teams on the mediocre ones. :smith:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cabbit posted:

Because there's a deep and well established canon for Glob loving Herman.

Extraordinary X-Men is fine. Maybe Anole will get to do stuff other than being inoffensively gay and punch one thing with his big arm now that he's Savage Dragon.

I don't see how him not having a defined character makes him ripping off another one better but okay.

But that is because EX X-men is a bad comic so whatever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My eye twitches uncontrollably every time Ernst appears in books nowadays because apparently zero people understand that she was supposed to be Cassandra Nova, but otherwise the issue was fine.

"It's globbering time" was pretty great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They know, they just threw that away like Xorn and Magneto.

They also made Martha Johansson No-Girl when that was clearly supposed to be someone else at first.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 21, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Blockhouse posted:

Jeff Lemire Doesn't Know How To Write Any Of These Characters: The Comic

He's not Bendis levels yet, but yeah it can feel like it at times. I think Lemire is great on solo characters but if he has to research a whole team of characters he just goes "gently caress it, lets just assign personalities/backstories and hope they line up".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

My eye twitches uncontrollably every time Ernst appears in books nowadays because apparently zero people understand that she was supposed to be Cassandra Nova, but otherwise the issue was fine.

I read that this idea has been pretty much forgotten and no writer even cares about it now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BrianWilly posted:

Aphrodite posted:

They know, they just threw that away like Xorn and Magneto.

They also made Martha Johansson No-Girl when that was clearly supposed to be someone else at first.
I thought No-Girl was supposed to be Cassandra Nova? Whichever one was the disembodied brain.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
No-girl was always Martha Johannson, I don't think she's ever been referred to as anything else ever. That goes back to Generation Hope if I remember correctly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No Girl and Martha Johansson predate Generation Hope by like 10 years. They're more Morrison characters.

No-Girl was originally an undetectable mutant in Xorn's class, and it was implied she was just a prank the students were pulling. But then Xorn sees and speaks to her. There are also times the students refer to her as a separate person from Martha when Xorn isn't around.

Apparently though it was Morrison himself who made them the same person later on.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought No-Girl was supposed to be Cassandra Nova? Whichever one was the disembodied brain.

Martha Johansson is the brain, and now she's also No-Girl. She was never implied to be Cassandra though, that was Ernst, the old woman looking girl with off-panel super strength.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Relevant panel

I always took it to mean that No-Girl was Martha's superhero alias and was a distinct personality that she would use to communicate with people, but Ernst and Martha also used her as an in-joke to prank the students.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Martha always a brain in a jar? I can't remember the details of her introduction beyond her being a pawn of John Sublime and the U-Men (great band), whose entire gimmick was nicking mutant body parts and grafting them to themselves so I've always assumed she had a body until Sublime took her brain out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She was introduced as the brain, but her powers didn't cause her to not have a body or anything. Sublime removed her brain.

In one issue of Spider-Man and the X-Men you see what she really looked like because she's projecting her image into someone's mind or something.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

She... was?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

In the Imperial arc, Jean tricks Cassandra Nova into the shi'ar Stuff's body (some kind of weird polymorph with recording/impersonation abilities) which ends up re-setting her cognitive functions to the state of a child. We last see her being psychically re-educated. In the next few issues Ernst shows up, and it's revealed in the final arc that she's basically the re-educated Nova in the guise of Xavier's sister, but now with his ideals. (Ernst is also conveniently an anagram for Stern, as in a stern headmistress)

Also none of this makes any sense with Whedon's follow-up on Astonishing.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 21, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

She was introduced as the brain, but her powers didn't cause her to not have a body or anything. Sublime removed her brain.

In one issue of Spider-Man and the X-Men you see what she really looked like because she's projecting her image into someone's mind or something.

She was protecting Spider-Man from Rachael I think.

Why Marvel didn't give Kalan another book after that I don't know.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He's not new or different enough.

Or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

She was protecting Spider-Man from Rachael I think.

Why Marvel didn't give Kalan another book after that I don't know.

Might be real busy with his podcast and tv show

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

hope and vaseline posted:

In the Imperial arc, Jean tricks Cassandra Nova into the shi'ar Stuff's body (some kind of weird polymorph with recording/impersonation abilities) which ends up re-setting her cognitive functions to the state of a child. We last see her being psychically re-educated. In the next few issues Ernst shows up, and it's revealed in the final arc that she's basically the re-educated Nova in the guise of Xavier's sister, but now with his ideals. (Ernst is also conveniently an anagram for Stern, as in a stern headmistress)

Also none of this makes any sense with Whedon's follow-up on Astonishing.
Yeah it was pretty much all Whedon's fault. He was really fond of a lot of stuff from Morrison's arc, but tended to miss some of the finer intricacies.

He also reintroduced the giant Genosha-destroying Sentinel in the Danger arc, under the premise that "No one wondered where it went?"...except that Morrison established exactly where that Sentinel went during that issue where Jean and Xavier found Polaris in Genosha's ruins. :downs:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Might be real busy with his podcast and tv show

Or baby. Though what TV show, he left TDS.

Though the Flophouse can't be that hard, it's like he totally makes the letters songs up as he goes along!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of imagine Spidey has Eliot's voice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I kind of imagine Spidey has Eliot's voice.

So in this scenario Dan is Cap and Stuart is Tony Stark?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I think I'd flip the two honestly.

Also, another vote for giving Kalan another book. Put him in charge of Extraordinary, gently caress it!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
How can the guy who cracks open a beer on mic then talks about ding dongs in an ad for the show not be Stark?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

... Yes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Edit: wrong thread.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 22, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm listening to old episodes of "X-Plain the X-Men," and after hearing Kurt Busiek's pitch about it, I'm almost too invested in the idea of Scott Summers, Mutant Radio Pundit.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I'm listening to old episodes of "X-Plain the X-Men," and after hearing Kurt Busiek's pitch about it, I'm almost too invested in the idea of Scott Summers, Mutant Radio Pundit.

I wish they would give him a what if book on that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm on board if Cyclops gains at least 50 pounds and grows his hair out really stupid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

What we have here, dear listener, is a clear case of the Inhuman agenda!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Didn't listen to the podcast, but the idea of Scott Summers as the Fox News Dad of the X-men is awesome.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
If Marvel resurrected Scott and had him ditch the X-Men and just become mutant Alex Jones or Glenn Beck, the X-Men would become great again.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

DrProsek posted:

If Marvel resurrected Scott and had him ditch the X-Men and just become mutant Alex Jones or Glenn Beck, the X-Men would become great again.

You should wear that on a hat and run for Marvel's Editor position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So I'm curious, when did the X-Men comics abandon the idea of trying to make mutant powers conceivably (even at a stretch) biological? Like they went from wings, mind powers and big feet to technopathy... And Maggott. Who broke the dam?

Cyclops was already pushing it, but they did try to explain it with sunlight and energy metabolization etc. etc.

I'd say it has to be Nightcrawler at the latest, but was there someone earlier?

• Locked thread