Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Re watched the first Captain America. Great movie! Biggest complaint is that I would have like to see Cap and his crew kick a bit more rear end.

The movie's big flaw is that its third act comes out of nowhere. All of a sudden they're on the train, then Bucky dies, then they go assault Red Skull's fortress or whatever. It's just really awkwardly paced, like the writers said, "Oh, poo poo, we need to get to the climactic battle sequence RIGHT NOW."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I will agree that the train happens out of nowhere and is poorly done. But the movie moves in so quickly that I didn't have time to think about it

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The cinema (or 'bioscoop' for Movie Posters thread insiders) I frequent has a Captain America marathon AND a Cap + Avengers marathon this Wednesday. The latter starts at 12:00 PM and ends on 2:45 AM. It's during a big national holiday too so nearly everyone has a day off, but it makes it even more questionable to spend half a day frying your brain like that instead of taking part in some of the many festivities.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

I know I'm basically asking for trouble by trying to make sense of comic book movie time travel, but isn't the Wolverine that exists in this movie basically the same one that's doomed to have his memory erased/overwritten when Wolverine from DoFP zaps back to the present?

I'm sure that Wolverine's role in this movie is pretty small, but any character development they could have tried to give him would essentially be wasted since he's a doomed character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know I'm basically asking for trouble by trying to make sense of comic book movie time travel, but isn't the Wolverine that exists in this movie basically the same one that's doomed to have his memory erased/overwritten when Wolverine from DoFP zaps back to the present?

I'm sure that Wolverine's role in this movie is pretty small, but any character development they could have tried to give him would essentially be wasted since he's a doomed character.

This movie is set after DoFP.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mannnnnn they improved Apocalypse's voice in the new trailer.

"...We'll build a better one!" came off as weird and petty before, but it's pretty threatening now.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

computer parts posted:

This movie is set after DoFP.

But before Wolverine gets to the ending/epilogue of DoFP, which is where it resets.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maluco Marinero posted:

But before Wolverine gets to the ending/epilogue of DoFP, which is where it resets.

But they changed the past in DofP so that future never happens right? I don't remember what kind of time travel they're doing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Please don't be as lovely as BVS, Civil War :pray:

I hope it's at least as good as BvS because that movie was great.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bring back old gbs posted:

But they changed the past in DofP so that future never happens right? I don't remember what kind of time travel they're doing.

The way I understood it, the past that Wolverine is now in is the one that spins into the future Wolverine woke up in at the end of DoFP. So yeah, in 50 years or so Wolverine will go to sleep and wake up the next day as the Wolverine who went back into the past and changed the future and so forth.

Unless Apocalypse manages to kill him in this movie. That'd be weird.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pablo Gigante posted:

I hope it's at least as good as BvS because that movie was great.

I wish BvS had jokes like this one...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Judakel posted:

I wish BvS had jokes like this one...

BvS had jokes though

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

BvS had jokes though

https://fat.gfycat.com/EarnestFantasticEagle.mp4

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pablo Gigante posted:

BvS had jokes though

Sorry, I meant funny ones.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

"...We'll build a better one!" came off as weird and petty before, but it's pretty threatening now.

I liked when they had vocal effects on "EVERYTHING THEY HAVE BUILT SHALL FALL!' The latest trailer just makes it kind of limp.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

He forgot to turn on his robot voice filter until he was nearly done with his speech.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

MacheteZombie posted:

The Movie Fight for these two films is going to be awesome.

I'm so excited for this.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Judakel posted:

Sorry, I meant funny ones.

Turn your monitor on.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Turn your monitor on.

hahahaha

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Personally I thought that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was loving shite.

And better than Man of Steel.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Triggered.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Turn your monitor on.

This post is the only clever thing associated with Zack Snyder's work.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it is. Not the same recording, but it is.

Civil War comes out Thursday, gonna see it Sunday, should I go to the trouble and squeeze in Iron Man 3/Age of Ultron/Ant-Man before? Feel free to treat this as an "and/or" kind of question.

e: I'm picking up on subtle vibes that it's gonna be a quite strong no on Ultron

I dont think it will matter much for Civil War but Iron Man 3 is one of my favorite Marvel movies, for what its worth. Ant man is fun, Ultron is poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Doctor Strange writer gives the unfortunate reason Ancient One is not Asian in the movie. Pretty much what I guessed.

quote:

The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet. So if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bullshit and risk the Chinese government going, ‘Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.’ If we decide to go the other way and cater to China in particular and have him be in Tibet… If you think it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your drat fool mind and have no idea what the gently caress you’re talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0&t=1074s

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The MSJ posted:

Doctor Strange writer gives the unfortunate reason Ancient One is not Asian in the movie. Pretty much what I guessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0&t=1074s

This is the interview where he unironically says "skeleton warriors", right?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh my god, they didn't want to admit that Tibet exists and risk offending the chinese. Fuckin' perfect.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Equeen posted:

Well I know what extension u have installed

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Equeen posted:

IDGI

And yeah, you better believe movie studios that want to generically appease everyone won't say that 'Tibet is a place that is also in China, but maybe not, but maybe it is and the Tibetans are also Chinese, politically, hm wait hold on,' and then deteriorate into long discussions on nation states instead of our desired hallucinogenic trip magic cape man movie making tons more box office.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well I know what extension u have installed

I didn't know it changed the phrase "social justice" too lol. I guess it was the addition of "warriors" that affected the filter.

Anyway, I'm getting less and less interested in Dr. Strange.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 25, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

https://gfycat.com/FalseUnhealthyCaiman.webm

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Just read that Nathan Fillion has been cast in GotG 2 for a cameo as Simon Williams/Wonder Man. Pretty good casting IMO. http://comicbook.com/2016/04/25/nathan-fillion-is-spoiler-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2/

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Oh my god, they didn't want to admit that Tibet exists and risk offending the chinese. Fuckin' perfect.

From a selling perspective China is a market they can't ignore and the communists don't want anyone reminded of all the horrific poo poo they've done to Tibet.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

HIJK posted:

From a selling perspective China is a market they can't ignore and the communists don't want anyone reminded of all the horrific poo poo they've done to Tibet.

well maybe that money isn't worth making :colbert:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm sure Disney will take that in consideration.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Grendels Dad posted:

The way I understood it, the past that Wolverine is now in is the one that spins into the future Wolverine woke up in at the end of DoFP. So yeah, in 50 years or so Wolverine will go to sleep and wake up the next day as the Wolverine who went back into the past and changed the future and so forth.

Unless Apocalypse manages to kill him in this movie. That'd be weird.

Yeah, that's the problem with all time travel narratives of that kind. Marty McFly from "George-is-a-pussy" universe travels back to 1985 and cosmically obliterates the Marty from "George-successful-author" universe. And steals his truck. I guess Wolverine is used to insane traumas erasing his entire identity, at this point.

Is there any info as to whether or not Fox is planning an Exiles movie at some point? If they're going to gently caress around with alternate timelines, they might as well go all the way.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

hiddenriverninja posted:

Of course it isn't. Disney doesn't care about that. Not enough to make a stand and say "gently caress you" to China.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Disneyland Shanghai opens in like two months. They don't give even 1/100th of a gently caress about Tibet.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If I had to choose between pissing off China or tumblr, I'd choose tumblr every time as well.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Same, but when I saw shoehorned Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shneak posted:

Same, but when I saw shoehorned Wolverine.

I guess the execs didn't have much faith in Jennifer Lawrence headlining the movie either.

• Locked thread