Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

alansmithee posted:

I think the best part is all the book babies crying now because they can't just sit and go "aha" and "told you so!" about all the "shocking" stuff that happens.

The hottest of takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is anybody actually sad or is that entirely imagined payback?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I don't see how you can be mad as a book reader, given that the show stopped to resemble the books anyway. I'd even argue that most book readers would prefer a closer adaptation that spoils the books for them, given that it would be a higher quality show and there is a certain chance that the books will never be released.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

*ticks off bingocard*

It was a very good moment that worked for the narrative.

"The red woman is powerful" -- here let us show you. We'll also let you know how old she is and that she's been using a glamour all this time to appear young and sexy.

We already knew she was powerful. We didn't need more proof. It's a cool reveal but I'm not sure it served any narrative purpose.

Just like Ramsay is a dick scene 500000000 doesn't do much any more for the story. We get it, Ramsay is a dick, do we really need another scene of him hamming it up?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

hemophilia posted:

The dorne stuff is only good in a meta sense in that it looks like they recognize the mistake. I just hope they didnt axe doran for a bunch of sand snake garbage. But the way trystane and doran were killed was clownish and lovely in presentation. It was clearly a hasty abortion of an abandoned plot. It burdened the premiere with a bunch of lovely nonsense.

Someone dissed bran earlier and whatever, if you dont like book bran we disagree, but it's obvious from the preseason information that hes gonna end up being pretty drat interesting

Book Bran was horrible and boring for 4 1/2 books. In the early books I remember his chapters as the only ones I did not look forward too. He does have the potential now, finally, to get very interesting though.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

We already knew she was powerful. We didn't need more proof. It's a cool reveal but I'm not sure it served any narrative purpose.

Just like Ramsay is a dick scene 500000000 doesn't do much any more for the story. We get it, Ramsay is a dick, do we really need another scene of him hamming it up?

That was really typical of the first episode of the season though. Pretty much every character we saw again took the time to remind us of recent events, who they are and what they are up to. It's always been a bit of a slog, though I guess it's required in a TV show.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ginette Reno posted:

Well given that we haven't seen her actually succeed in actual magic since season 2, it was a good reminder.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Pretty big Season 6 TV spoiler

Looks real to me.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Like a bird feeding her chicks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't see how you can be mad as a book reader, given that the show stopped to resemble the books anyway. I'd even argue that most book readers would prefer a closer adaptation that spoils the books for them, given that it would be a higher quality show and there is a certain chance that the books will never be released.

This is where I'm at. I was a big fan of the books and loved the first three seasons, but now I don't really care that much about the books or the show anymore. The books because they're never coming out, and the show because it's super boring and a lot of changes actively makes it a less interesting story.

So I'm not mad, I just barely give a poo poo anymore and mainly watch it to get it over with.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Another petpeeve I have with this episode.

While I get it, Jon Snow's resurrection is pushed to the 2nd episode because drama, in story it doesn't make any sense for Davos and co. to stay behind guarding his body. Are they afraid they might sew Ghost's head into his body?

They are like "We gotta avenge dah Lohr Commandah!"...and they send Edd to look for the Wildlings and stay behind becaaaaauuusee....????

Mmmmmm it's almost, ALMOST as if the characters already knew Jon Snow was getting resurrected.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Knyteguy posted:

Looks real to me.

Where does it comes from?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Yeah, if anything they should be burning the body but are instead defending it because the plot demands it. It's about as bad and lazy as poisoning Myrcella in one way in one episode, then killing Trystane in a different way the next, despite them being in the same place/circumstances as each other.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lezard_valeth posted:

Another petpeeve I have with this episode.

While I get it, Jon Snow's resurrection is pushed to the 2nd episode because drama, in story it doesn't make any sense for Davos and co. to stay behind guarding his body. Are they afraid they might sew Ghost's head into his body?

They are like "We gotta avenge dah Lohr Commandah!"...and they send Edd to look for the Wildlings and stay behind becaaaaauuusee....????

Mmmmmm it's almost, ALMOST as if the characters already knew Jon Snow was getting resurrected.

Eh, it makes sense to me. At first they bring in Jon's body there in the hopes that he's not dead or that they can figure out what happened. After that they realize oh poo poo he was killed by mutiny which means any of Jon's friends (aka them) are likely to get killed too. So at that point they hide in there because Alliser is almost certainly going to kill all of them if he can.

Davos probably figures he's going to get killed too. With Stannis and his army dead there's no reason for Alliser et all to keep him around. At best he'd get sent on his way, but since Alliser is a dick they'd probably just kill him too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I really enjoyed Alliser's attempt at "fastest pivot ever" from "Yea, we killed the Lord Commander" to "The Night's Watch is all about loyalty."

I realize the hypocrisy of it is supposed to be intentional, I don't think it's bad writing, it's just actually hilarious how quickly he jumps from one to the other.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Ginette Reno posted:

Eh, it makes sense to me. At first they bring in Jon's body there in the hopes that he's not dead or that they can figure out what happened. After that they realize oh poo poo he was killed by mutiny which means any of Jon's friends (aka them) are likely to get killed too. So at that point they hide in there because Alliser is almost certainly going to kill all of them if he can.

Davos probably figures he's going to get killed too. With Stannis and his army dead there's no reason for Alliser et all to keep him around. At best he'd get sent on his way, but since Alliser is a dick they'd probably just kill him too.

Except that they send Edd out of the castle with apparently no issue. Why don't the rest of them go with him? Because they have to guard Jon's body. Why do they have to do that? Uh?????

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

WampaLord posted:

I really enjoyed Alliser's attempt at "fastest pivot ever" from "Yea, we killed the Lord Commander" to "The Night's Watch is all about loyalty."

I realize the hypocrisy of it is supposed to be intentional, I don't think it's bad writing, it's just actually hilarious how quickly he jumps from one to the other.

No it's actually pretty bad writing.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Ginette Reno posted:

It shows that Mel is disillusioned and needs some clarity. She is having a crisis of faith. Kind of like how the other more powerful Red Priest in Westeros didn't believe in his God at all when he brought a man back to life.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ginette Reno posted:

My question is, why didn't they ALL went to fetch the Wildlings. One person alone could easily be intercepted and there goes any hope of being rescued, while the whole lot of them have better chances of reaching the wildlings and asking for help. Granted they would draw more attention, but the way the episode presents this, Thorne and co. were all too busy having breakfast to notice anything at all happening.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lloyd Boner posted:

It shows that Mel is disillusioned and needs some clarity. She is having a crisis of faith. Kind of like how the other more powerful Red Priest in Westeros didn't believe in his God at all when he brought a man back to life.

you act like the average show watcher even remembers the previous episode let alone something that happened like 2 seasons ago

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Now what happens to Theon, by the way? Im speculating that somehow Asha/Yara is going to bump at then and take him home and then we will have kingsmoot. Balon should probably finally die a little before that, maybe in in the next episode

In a surprising twist, they hold the Kingsmoot before Balon is dead and he stands around in the background for the rest of the season looking confused before falling off a wall to a wilhelm scream.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Phi230 posted:

you act like the average show watcher even remembers the previous episode let alone something that happened like 2 seasons ago

This is completely irrelevant. The average show watcher doesn't give a poo poo about things like what purpose there was for showing Mel really old. Only nerdy goons like us do, and we're the ones who are tasked with remembering all the minute details.

Plus they can just slot in the Thoros stuff in the previously on GoT.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tin can made man posted:

Except that they send Edd out of the castle with apparently no issue. Why don't the rest of them go with him? Because they have to guard Jon's body. Why do they have to do that? Uh?????

lezard_valeth posted:

My question is, why didn't they ALL went to fetch the Wildlings. One person alone could easily be intercepted and there goes any hope of being rescued, while the whole lot of them have better chances of reaching the wildlings and asking for help. Granted they would draw more attention, but the way the episode presents this, Thorne and co. were all too busy having breakfast to notice anything at all happening.

It's a bit less suspicious if one person goes is about all I got for that one. Plus if they do end up having to fight the mutineers, it's obviously going to be easier to do that from within a fortified room than out in the open or wherever else.

Lloyd Boner posted:

I guess there is that.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

Think it's mainly Davos who's in danger, the rest of them could just rejoin the ranks, after all it was pretty clear that they're not the only Night's Watch guys that have a problem with what's happened. They're just staying with Davos cause they're bros like that. In light of that it would make sense that Edd is able to just slip away.

Though the show kinda shat on that interpretation when that one brother specifically said they'd all get butchered if they let em in but eh maybe just THAT part was lovely writing. :angel:

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Knyteguy posted:

Looks real to me.

https://gyazo.com/3fa899dd958758e65e71ab9bed9f57a2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8CZTn0tZc

Apply rotate. Done.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Neba posted:

Think it's mainly Davos who's in danger, the rest of them could just rejoin the ranks, after all it was pretty clear that they're not the only Night's Watch guys that have a problem with

Notice after Thorne's lovely speech all the guys who just seconds ago were incensed that their lord commander was murdered kinda just look at each other? That was meant to convey they're cool with it now.

When Davos said they're all dead if they open the door means they're all dead if they open that door. The show is that goddamn blunt now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lol

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

WampaLord posted:

I love how very proud he was that he never disobeyed an order from his lord commander. Lord Snow never actually commanded me not to stab him to death! It's all about loyalty you see!

This year Ser Alliser is a writer, etc, etc.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

onemillionzombies posted:

Notice after Thorne's lovely speech all the guys who just seconds ago were incensed that their lord commander was murdered kinda just look at each other? That was meant to convey they're cool with it now.

When Davos said they're all dead if they open the door means they're all dead if they open that door. The show is that goddamn blunt now.

Edd also made it clear to everyone there, if they weren't aware yet, that he had zero intention of living through the night, until Davos suggested he go grab some wildlings to help.

I think everyone in that room is in some deep poo poo the moment the door opens, and the fact that they all know it is refreshing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Feast For Crows and Dance With Dragons are maybe my fav of the GoT books

Dorne and Meereen are long and meandering but theres interesting stuff going on beneath the surface. Dany being a potentially psychotic teenage colonist in the far east and getting distracted by boys is pretty fun. I like that meanwhile everyone is just getting plague like crazy and everything is poo poo and the locals hate her.

Dorne is just interesting as another example of how people play the game of thrones and they're nice, sympathetic guys who are going to get themselves destroyed no matter how careful because they're thinking of getting involved in a war.

Feast for Crows in particular has all the bomb-rear end Cersei chapters where she thinks she's Tywin incarnate but is actually obviously loving herself over all the time, plus lil' baby King Tommen.

This show is just garbage, it hasn't always been but holy poo poo these last couple seasons.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Edd also made it clear to everyone there, if they weren't aware yet, that he had zero intention of living through the night, until Davos suggested he go grab some wildlings to help.

I think everyone in that room is in some deep poo poo the moment the door opens, and the fact that they all know it is refreshing.

we're gonna get one guy that goes "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER" and opens the door and lets the alien that's gonna burst out of Jon's chest out into castle black and doom all the nights watchmen

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

hemophilia posted:

Is anybody actually sad or is that entirely imagined payback?

https://twitter.com/hippoiathanatoi/status/724502589941944320
https://twitter.com/hippoiathanatoi/status/724502727984840704

e: I assume this is about the Melisandre being 400 years old thing, in which case, lol

colonel_korn posted:

I hope the first Behind the Episode features Dave & Dan saying "We were blown away when George told us that Melisandre is 400 years old" so we can see another westeros.org freakout.

(Yeah, I know it's been unsubtly hinted at in the text, but to my recollection it hasn't been explicitly described)

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 25, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I actually though it was good "Yes we are traitors now. Jon tough he was doing the right thing, but he was going to destroy the NW, he forced us to make this decision" is just that everyone got convinced too fast. He barely ended the speech and all the opposition disappeared.

I guess it kinda makes sense considering that it was established last season most of the NW didnt trust him anymore. Is just that they never really had a compelling reason to not trust him like that, since all that he did "wrong" was to invite the wildling in and, after Hardhome I think at least those who were not crazy xenophobes should have became aware that the it was necessary for the NW survival to ally with the wildlings.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

I love how very proud he was that he never disobeyed an order from his lord commander. Lord Snow never actually commanded me not to stab him to death! It's all about loyalty you see!

This year Ser Alliser is a writer, etc, etc.

D+D: WE ARE SMART

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

They're annoyed because GRRM didn't tell them. Exclusive information.

Also from their Twitter:

GRRM posted:

Well, I made my appearance on Sheep Island a few hours ago, cleverly disguised as Tyrion the Imp for a reading and Q&A session at Bantam's virtual bookstore. Only this version of Tyrion could fly! Ah, if only the Tyrion in the books could fly, what mischief he will... ah... could... ah, never mind.

Holy poo poo.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

nopantsjack posted:

she thinks she's Tywin incarnate but is actually obviously loving herself over all the time

That kinda makes her Tywin incarnate, who hosed himself over pretty good by pushing his heirs into taking a lifelong vow of service and shooting him while he took a dump respectively.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

This is where I'm at. I was a big fan of the books and loved the first three seasons, but now I don't really care that much about the books or the show anymore. The books because they're never coming out, and the show because it's super boring and a lot of changes actively makes it a less interesting story.

So I'm not mad, I just barely give a poo poo anymore and mainly watch it to get it over with.

I really liked it in the past, but I'm starting to get into this camp too. The story has overstayed its welcome.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've been laughing and linda and elio basically the first time i heard about them. That's a pretty shallow source of tears. I'm looking for the heart-break from lower profile nerds who loved trolling and lording their hidden knowledge. I was a mostly good book reading nerd and i would just help show watcher friends keep track of stuff, re-explain, and be like, look I can't tell you certain things without spoiling stuff. I'm honestly glad we're mostly uncharted at this point because I was sick of being people's encyclopedia to the show. It's seriously a relief that book/show has mostly reached parity, as much as it's going to until a TWoW release, if it happens.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So since the fleet at Meereen has been burned, I'm guessing Dany really has no way to get to Westeros anymore. Unless Victarion happens to show up and marry her and bring her on his own fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

So since the fleet at Meereen has been burned, I'm guessing Dany really has no way to get to Westeros anymore. Unless Victarion happens to show up and marry her and bring her on his own fleet.

That's literally the reason why it burned. So Dany has no choice but to take whatever devils bargain the iron islanders come up with.

• Locked thread