Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The input display is the same for success or fail (and looks like the video), yet... it doesn't work most of the time. Even though it looks identical and I can't even *feel* any difference. :(

Can you explain whats happening when it doesn't come out? I'd guess its just not getting the minimum height restriction and you're pressing the kick button too early. Because the way jumps work you cant really buffer the kick input before you hit that height, or else you'll get the jumping kick instead since they don't have a similar restriction.

Slow down your motions and try putting a beat between 9 and 214, see how long you have to wait for the divekick to come out every time and then try doing it lower and lower until it stops working again, should give you a better reference for the proper timing needed. Caveat I dont play cammy so I may be totally off but hopefully it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Wait too long and there is no divekick. Which is why I can't tell any difference between too soon (below min height) and too late (buffer expired). The same thing always happens: roundhouse air kick (unless I gently caress up in some obvious way, jumping back being the main one). Chun's air legs is the same thing, with the same bastard timing, but the motion is much easier since it's all forward.

9214 works fine. But I do see the difference between it and 2149; the former is not min-height.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 25, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Saint Freak posted:

Microtime the minianimations

"shimmy meta" is still the best new age fgc term imo

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think the real trick to the divekick is memorizing where the minimum height is, I'm a trash player and I was getting them like half the time by just focusing on timing and making sure you're not too low.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Anyone having trouble logging in and having the game crash constantly?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Alright so why doesn't this game just use straight chess Elo? I don't get why it uses this bizarro sorta-Elo tier system instead of just chess Elo, or having two Elo (player and character) and combining the two to matchmake.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Anyone having trouble logging in and having the game crash constantly?

does constantly d/cing always count

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

piratepilates posted:

Alright so why doesn't this game just use straight chess Elo? I don't get why it uses this bizarro sorta-Elo tier system instead of just chess Elo, or having two Elo (player and character) and combining the two to matchmake.

Because Crapcom.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

piratepilates posted:

I actually think this is done on purpose so you can get matches against a wide range of players instead of just those around your skill level. Actually the real reason is probably so you can get into matches faster.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Real ELO is super unfun if you want to see your number go up.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Mattavist posted:

Real ELO is super unfun if you want to see your number go up.

Considering the constant, obvious inflation in SFV's point system it's not even a particularly interesting way to see your number go up

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just finished off an Ultra Silver Karin with a crush counter off of Vega's roundhouse into one of her jump ins, followed up with a claw swipe to finish her off before she hit the ground.

No joke, that might be the best feeling a fighting game has ever given me.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I got platinum because I kept getting silvers and low golds who gave me something like 50-70 penis points for beating them twice. Only took a couple days of casual ranked.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Man I like Laura and her playstyle a lot but I feel like it's an uphill battle. Holding down back is just too incredibly strong against her since her single overhead is punishing as hell on block and pretty easy to hit mid animation. Just started playing online yesterday though so maybe I'll figure some stuff out or try out other characters as well some more. I'm just getting blown up by characters that can just do stuff because a lot of her stuff is pretty slow. Cammy has been my main nightmare so far, no idea what to do about her holding down back and then just going nuts with cannon spirals if I try to hit her with the overhead or doing the spin into whatever she wants if I try to pressure with projectiles.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Kaidyn posted:

no idea what to do about her holding down back

Command throw.

Use your pressure until they learn to block, command throw them until they learn to jump, repeat.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

Sarchasm posted:

Command throw.

Use your pressure until they learn to block, command throw them until they learn to jump, repeat.

I thought throws whiffed on crouch? Is that only normal throws? If so then yeah this breathes new life into my game, thanks haha.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Kaidyn posted:

I thought throws whiffed on crouch? Is that only normal throws? If so then yeah this breathes new life into my game, thanks haha.

uhhhh throws dont whiff on crouching opponents.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kaidyn posted:

Where the hell did you hear that?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

so we getting guile today?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kaidyn posted:

Be sure to test the different strengths; they should all have differing ranges. You may have been going for a stronger type and whiffing due to a lessened range.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whens guile

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
april 30 at 11:59 PM

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

probably tomorrow

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Kaidyn posted:

Play a lot of 3D games?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Don't give capcom any ideas

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope eventually we get one of these characters earlier than the last 3 days of the month

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I don't get why that matters to you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a monthly release regardless, so if the new character drops earlier, the next one still won't drop until a month later. It literally makes no difference. :confused:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
So Guile's free too yeah because there's still no cash shop?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

So Guile's free too yeah because there's still no cash shop?

Yes, unless they are done with the cash shop which seems extremely unlikely.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The reason I'm talking about this is because Cr. MP in that particular scenario gets rid of timing issues. Since you're +19 after a backthrow and dash forward is 17 frames you're on +2 going in. Since Cr. MP has a 5 frame startup you'll stuff any 3f jabs that come out where St. MP is vulnerable to them since it has a 6f startup.

I'm just looking to figure out if there's anything significant I can combo to from there, but it just looks like Cr. MP -> LP elbow is the way to go.

The best option here is actually st.lk. 4 frame startup 3 active frames, on counterhit combos into cr.mp x mp elbow

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Bizarro Mike and Combofiend did a breakdown of Guile, if anyone's interested.

EDIT: Apparently Guile's V-Trigger is meant to reference Rainbow Mode; that's pretty cool.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bhsman posted:

Bizarro Mike and Combofiend did a breakdown of Guile, if anyone's interested.

EDIT: Apparently Guile's V-Trigger is meant to reference Rainbow Mode; that's pretty cool.

also the critical art is affected by v-trigger making it loving huge

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

that is the worst mike too

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also the critical art is affected by v-trigger making it loving huge

It'll be an amazing 'stop doing stupid poo poo in neutral' tool.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Guile actually...looks like a good...zoner? That V-Skill looks REAL annoying. Hell, that V-Trigger also looks very obnoxious.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

Guile actually...looks like a good...zoner? That V-Skill looks REAL annoying. Hell, that V-Trigger also looks very obnoxious.

It looks like a free EX boom. It might even be a good boom fake to bait out a jumpin/neutral jump if the frame data is good enough.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Posts in this thread made me think Guile was out :(

I am very much looking forward to playing Guile. Gonna be so lame.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cams posted:

Posts in this thread made me think Guile was out :(

I am very much looking forward to playing Guile. Gonna be so lame.

Coming out April 31st 23:59 in ALL timezones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dias posted:

Coming out April 31st 23:59 in ALL timezones.

I mean when they take everything down for like a day to patch that's technically one way to phrase it.