Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Soricidus posted:

python v perl: it's not perl
python v php: it's not php
python v ruby: it's not ruby
python v nodejs: it's not js
winner: python

... which isn't saying much

the roast beef of plangs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

gonadic io posted:

python is the number 1 lang I recommend to people wanting to learn to code who would be put off by Scratch. I would never ever work in it again myself.
everyone should be put off by scratch, it's the silliest "babby's first" language since PILOT

and python too but for different reasons

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i don't really like writing Python for some reason

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Professional educators say Python is hard to teach on account of the indentation poo poo, which is rather disappointing.

I'd totally pick Python as the language for a good top-down introduction to programming, particularly given that Python is used for Real Work(TM) ... insofar as startup poo poo counts as real work, anyway.

Like, nobody's impressed when you teach them some obvious mickey mouse poo poo.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
python is cool if you do a lot with data and run into the limits of what excel can do or handle.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there is no limit to what excel can do or handle

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

redleader posted:

what makes python better/worse than any other dynamic lang? i'm somewhat considering going for a python job i've seen advertised

Python has a very nice standard library, and a bunch of its third-party libraries are really good too (especially for data science: see matplotlib, numpy, scipy, pandas). Also by plang standards python 3's syntax is pretty nice and has very few surprises (stuff like for-else notwithstanding).

Personally, I wish the data scientists had picked a different language to pour all their infrastructure into, but they could have made a much worse decision than python so I guess I should count my blessings.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

well, except the 2GB limit

and also the cannot-open-two-files-with-the-same-name limit

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Well, unless you have more than 1,048,576 data points.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use 64bit excel instead of 32bit excel.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

lmao

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wheany posted:

well, except the 2GB limit

in practice it's more like 1.3gb for some reason

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

teaching python as a first language is surprisingly hard mostly due to stuff that seems like it would make things simpler, such as for-loops being somewhat magical, needing the abstract idea of a sequence, which is actually a huge complication when the students are busy trying to conceptualize the triad of variable-value-type

for(int i = 0; i < n; i++) {
}

feels far more arbitrary, but it is unambiguously built out of things the students easily learn anyway (anyone who thinks "i++" is complicated for beginners have all the wrong ideas of education)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

seriously though. large orgs have a billion office plugins which require 32 bit office. you can't have 32 and 64 bit office (or office components)installed at the same time, even different versions. most small companies don't even realise they have 32bit office and will claim to be using 64 bit office.

32 bit is still the default installation version of excel in 2016

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Wheany posted:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Shaggar posted:

the same is true for using an abacus of arbitrary size :rolleyes:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I taught python for a while and I'll probably get back into it again soon and to be honest I didn't have many issues with what you guys are talking about. the semantic indentation I hammer it early on and it seems to work. the for loop being dependent on the notion of sequences, well... for people who coded in other languages before I see them getting a bit lazy about trying to take an effort into something that it's seemingly trivial to them, so sometimes I see them trip over it

but the hardest thing to teach, by far, is mutation. I try to warn about mutation but man, everybody gets stuck in their own programs because somewhere they modify a list that they were looping over and didn't really notice it. :sigh:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

In college I had a professor write a demonstration-level nuclear reactor simulation in Excel, which on one hand was awesome but on the other hand :gonk:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

In college I had a professor write a demonstration-level nuclear reactor simulation in Excel, which on one hand was awesome but on the other hand :gonk:

i have some bad news about actual nuclear reactor control systems

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

pointsofdata posted:

in practice it's more like 1.3gb for some reason

Is the reason that modern Office files (OOXML) are literally zip files with internal package structure, and 1.3gb is about how large a compressed file is which decompresses to something that exhausts a 32-bit address space?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

excel is pro as hell and you can reference external libs to do lots of stuff.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
remember when this happened

http://bmcbioinformatics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2105-5-80

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Internet Janitor posted:

Is the reason that modern Office files (OOXML) are literally zip files with internal package structure, and 1.3gb is about how large a compressed file is which decompresses to something that exhausts a 32-bit address space?

i dont think they apply any actual compression to the file, they just used zip as a convenient archive format that windows has native support for.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

Python has a very nice standard library, and a bunch of its third-party libraries are really good too (especially for data science: see matplotlib, numpy, scipy, pandas). Also by plang standards python 3's syntax is pretty nice and has very few surprises (stuff like for-else notwithstanding).

Personally, I wish the data scientists had picked a different language to pour all their infrastructure into, but they could have made a much worse decision than python so I guess I should count my blessings.

whoa now i wouldn't go so far to call mpl good

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Gazpacho posted:

everyone should be put off by scratch, it's the silliest "babby's first" language since PILOT

and python too but for different reasons

otoh i've successfully taught 8 year old kids using the official scratch tutorials soooo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr Dog posted:

Professional educators say Python is hard to teach on account of the indentation poo poo, which is rather disappointing.

imo indentation should be drilled into them from day 1

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gonadic io posted:

otoh i've successfully taught 8 year old kids using the official scratch tutorials soooo

scratch is good

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gonadic io posted:

imo indentation should be drilled into them from day 1

lesson 1: ascii art

i hope you've all installed my favourite text editor

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i've given more than one talk on how excel is 1) a programming language and 2) a bad programming language.

unless you abuse the h*ck out of named ranges and even then you're in trouble when you need to extend your data model

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

tef posted:

lesson 1: ascii art

i hope you've all installed my favourite text editor

haskell's tab length is 8 spaces, and literally every text editor ever has 4-space default. this messes up so so many people. as their seemingly well indented code is rejected by the compiler

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

gonadic io posted:

i assumed we were talking about people

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Gazpacho posted:

i assumed we were talking about people

children are people, actually.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

gonadic io posted:

i've given more than one talk on how excel is 1) a programming language and 2) a bad programming language.

unless you abuse the h*ck out of named ranges and even then you're in trouble when you need to extend your data model

unsurprisingly, it often goes very wrong

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

but the hardest thing to teach, by far, is mutation. I try to warn about mutation but man, everybody gets stuck in their own programs because somewhere they modify a list that they were looping over and didn't really notice it. :sigh:

this happened to me when i wrote the first embarrassingly lovely script i ever used for work. open an import file, parse out a list of package names, whack package names against an api endpoint, and hey, if you get a 200, just delete those items and you can use the same file as a list of failed API calls!

long story short i think that's just a wall you need to hit and it's probably better to have people work on a problem looping over and modifying a list so they hit that wall sooner rather than later.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this stuff is the bane of my life. for some reason we treat the formatting of excel cells as significant, and don't use quite the same date formatting as excel or the local user date formats

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i dont think they apply any actual compression to the file, they just used zip as a convenient archive format that windows has native support for.

pretty sure they do use compression, you're thinking of java jars which typically don't. zips are used in so many formats because they're a standard compression format with support for random access to files (file contents themselves can only be accessed serially), as opposed to say cab files which are indexed but use a single compressed stream of a concatenation of all files, or tar archives which aren't even indexed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hackbunny posted:

pretty sure they do use compression, you're thinking of java jars which typically don't.

are you sure? I'm pretty certain they're compressed by default and I've never heard anyone recommend disabling that before?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

whoa now i wouldn't go so far to call mpl good

same, i put it in the "mostly usable" category

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
python hot take: groupby's behavior is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hackbunny posted:

pretty sure they do use compression, you're thinking of java jars which typically don't. zips are used in so many formats because they're a standard compression format with support for random access to files (file contents themselves can only be accessed serially), as opposed to say cab files which are indexed but use a single compressed stream of a concatenation of all files, or tar archives which aren't even indexed

strictly speaking, .zip is an archive format, not a compression specification. "no compression" is legal compression for a .zip file, and each file in the archive doesn't even need to be compressed using the same method. but i'd be astonished if office didn't use deflate like every single other zipper under the sun.