Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah how are they shoehorn Wolverine into an X-men movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like Jennifer Lawrence, and I like this new trailer, but is it just me or is she giving off some major "I'm only here so I don't get sued for breach of contract" vibes?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

I like Jennifer Lawrence, and I like this new trailer, but is it just me or is she giving off some major "I'm only here so I don't get sued for breach of contract" vibes?

That's certainly the narrative everyone has built up In their heads

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

howe_sam posted:

I'm sure many people are hoping Mystique dies when Apocalypse has her by the neck.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xealot posted:

Yeah, that's the problem with all time travel narratives of that kind. Marty McFly from "George-is-a-pussy" universe travels back to 1985 and cosmically obliterates the Marty from "George-successful-author" universe. And steals his truck. I guess Wolverine is used to insane traumas erasing his entire identity, at this point.

Is there any info as to whether or not Fox is planning an Exiles movie at some point? If they're going to gently caress around with alternate timelines, they might as well go all the way.

No, Marty from George successful author universe also went to 1955, but because his dad was successful he didn't worry about him or tail him and interfere, and Mr. Baines hit him with the car. Marty just chilled at docs the whole time and went back to the future without incident, arriving at the Twin Pines mall in the George is a loser universe.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah how are they shoehorn Wolverine into an X-men movie.

Bending time and space to include him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

howe_sam posted:

I meant specifically in the new trailer.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skwirl posted:

I meant specifically in the new trailer.

I really liked her "what???" When Quicksilver says his thing. That's such a funny moment to spoil in a trailer. Like it's common knowledge for hardcore fans but a big OH gently caress moment for casuals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I felt the same about the third and fourth Hunger Games films. By the end it just felt like she didn't want to be there.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hell Ill say it. Jennifer Lawrence blows

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

net cafe scandal posted:

Hell Ill say it. Jennifer Lawrence blows

Jennifer Lawrence's off-screen presence overshadows roles that she takes, kind of like Tom Cruise.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Skwirl posted:

Or maybe she's not actually a very good actor and her ostensible value as a name to attach to a project comes more from the success of the Hunger Games IP and her association with it than it does her inherent value as an actor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheeee posted:

Or maybe she's not actually a very good actor and her ostensible value as a name to attach to a project comes more from the success of the Hunger Games IP and her association with it than it does her inherent value as an actor.

We got a winner folks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheeee posted:

The Oscar isn't the best of measures for acting skill, but she has 3 nominations and 1 win, so clearly she has something going on

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Skwirl posted:

The Oscar isn't the best of measures for acting skill, but she has 3 nominations and 1 win, so clearly she has something going on

I seriously feel like I'm crazy when I think about this. Silver Linings Playbook was absolute poo poo and I have no idea how it rose above "forgettable romcom" levels of accolades. Jlaw has been bland in every thing I've seen her in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Being immensely popular doesn't mean she is talented. There are plenty of mediocre actors and actresses who continue to get work because they are pretty.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Terrible Horse posted:

I seriously feel like I'm crazy when I think about this. Silver Linings Playbook was absolute poo poo and I have no idea how it rose above "forgettable romcom" levels of accolades. Jlaw has been bland in every thing I've seen her in.
I never thought she was anything more than serviceable in SLP, but it rises above forgettable romcom on Bradley Cooper's performance alone.

And DeNiro I suppose.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I want this Wolvie in X-Men:Apocalypse:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

berserker posted:

Why is his dick box wired directly to his eye?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

Doctor Strange writer gives the unfortunate reason Ancient One is not Asian in the movie. Pretty much what I guessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0&t=1074s

That's like the dumbest bullshit I ever heard in my life. I know Tibet is a hot topic but if they cared like that then they wouldn't have set a third of Age of Ultron in Seoul. Basically all of China, South Korea and SE Asia TURNED THE gently caress OUT for The Dark Knight just for Chin Han (Singapore). If the movie is already a juggernaut like MCU flicks and has a star people in a part of the world are familiar with they'll show up. I can't believe that guy managed to do the "but but but CHINA" bullshit and "whelp better to have no Asian character at all" at the same time.

Then again maybe I'm not, I see some MCU fans from the US legit worried about China. Like China's existence is hurting cinema as an art form. Some poor white dude's life was ruined because he heard there was a cut of Iron Man 3 9,000 miles away where a doctor is on screen for two seconds. Oh my God China.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slugworth posted:

Like you don't constantly keep one eye on your junk at all times.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slugworth posted:

male gaze

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Slugworth posted:

"OK so we're going to place a camera feed of your dick with bomb attached to it into your eye at all times - if you try and run, you get to see your own junk explode, re-form, re-explode, over and over, good luck have fun"

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Whizbang posted:

If I had to choose between pissing off China or tumblr, I'd choose tumblr every time as well.

This but unironically.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Apocalypse trailer is extremely cool and I'm super excite.

JLaw seems like a pretty decent actress, but I don't buy her as Mystique, her voice and demeanour aren't mature enough to pull off the character. I definitely prefer the first iteration of the character.

Oh well, maybe they'll hire someone with a deeper voice next time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
lol at everyone just making GBS threads on Jennifer Lawrence out of nowhere. Ya'll are the worst

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

berserker posted:

ooh, I had him

interestingly they chose not to have a wire going to the dickbox from the helmet

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

lol at everyone just making GBS threads on Jennifer Lawrence out of nowhere. Ya'll are the worst

Yeah, she's a good actress. She probably did get forced into the X-Men sequels, but I liked the little snippet in the trailer with her reaction to Quicksilver saying Magneto's his dad.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, she's a good actress. She probably did get forced into the X-Men sequels, but I liked the little snippet in the trailer with her reaction to Quicksilver saying Magneto's his dad.

Lmfao yeah... she was all like "What?" Yaaass J-Law Slay queen.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Slugworth posted:

teledildonics

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

She's not good.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

That's like the dumbest bullshit I ever heard in my life. I know Tibet is a hot topic but if they cared like that then they wouldn't have set a third of Age of Ultron in Seoul. Basically all of China, South Korea and SE Asia TURNED THE gently caress OUT for The Dark Knight just for Chin Han (Singapore). If the movie is already a juggernaut like MCU flicks and has a star people in a part of the world are familiar with they'll show up. I can't believe that guy managed to do the "but but but CHINA" bullshit and "whelp better to have no Asian character at all" at the same time.

Then again maybe I'm not, I see some MCU fans from the US legit worried about China. Like China's existence is hurting cinema as an art form. Some poor white dude's life was ruined because he heard there was a cut of Iron Man 3 9,000 miles away where a doctor is on screen for two seconds. Oh my God China.

That's because its a stupid ex post facto justification for whitewashing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rakovsky maybe posted:

That's because its a stupid ex post facto justification for whitewashing.

Yeah I don't really get the logic of "The Chinese will be mad if we make this Tibetan priest an Asian person unless they're a Chinese actor but that's a bad thing because of reasons".

It's not like Hollywood hasn't used East Asians interchangeably before or anything like that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Please, tell us more about China, white American nerds.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Well.

At least she has a staff.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Burkion posted:

Well.

At least she has a staff.

Oh... oh no.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Real talk- if they gently caress up Lord Zedd's design, because they're going to do him in the sequel or even as a teaser thing at the end of this movie we all know this, they will officially be the dumbest people on Earth.

Like, Rita, whatever, that design would be loving hard to make work on the big screen as it was no matter the budget.

Zedd? Sure, drop the z ontop of his visor/crown thing, but the rest of his design is loving amazing and may be the best Super Villain Evil Bad Guy design for a kids show ever. He's a cenobite with a metal exoskeleton who drapes himself in snakes.

His design is literally a human body stripped of all of its flesh and with his brain exposed, with metal fused to his remains and a grill/visor face. All you have to do is update that and you're golden. Especially if you're going for the edgy mature crowd!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks silly as gently caress.

Exactly like Power Rangers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that looks like poo poo. Have they released anything on what the Ranger suits will look like yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Well that looks like poo poo. Have they released anything on what the Ranger suits will look like yet?

No and that's largely what I'm waiting on to see what to expect the movie to be.

I'm not thrilled with Rita but these are stills that haven't had ANY post production done, and it might not be her only look in the movie if we're lucky.

the Ranger suits are far more important to get right. I'm hoping they go for the armored look again, like in the first movie, just not lovely and not made of a flimsy material this time.

• Locked thread