Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

climboutonalimb posted:

I've been riding a 2009 Honda Rebel 250 bike for ~3 years around San Francisco and the Bay area. I got the bike to learn on and bob around town on. Since buying this bike I've met my current gf and gotten quite a bit of experience on the bike. I've been wanting to get a new bike since the Rebel struggles up some of these steep SF hills, especially 2up with my gf on the back. However, I have avoided replacing it due to not having secure parking in the city and with street parking as my only option, I am willing to risk this small, cheaper bike.

I have finally secured convenient garage parking not too far from my apartment and want to upgrade. I'd like to pay less than $10k, the main function of this bike is going to be city riding with occasional weekend excursions around the area. I'm pretty sure I like the less aggressive riding posture of a crusier than sport bike but tbh, I've never ridden in that position. However, I love the classic cruiser style well above a sport bike look. Also, I'm 5'4" and 130lbs so I want a low CoG and short seat height.

I'm currently torn between the Yamaha Bolt and Kawasaki Vulcan S. I fell in love with the Bolt when it was released in 2014 but after I went to sit on it at the dealer, I didn't like the asymmetry between my knees (the stock air intake box protruded a lot further IRL than in photos) -- I think this can be solved with after market parts. I haven't seen the Vulcan in person but on spec is lighter, liquid cooled, comes with an ABS option and the free ergo fit option is very attractive. I definitely prefer the look of the Bolt a little better than the Vulcan.

Looking at reviews it seems like these are the top two options in this category. I think the lack of ABS is the biggest question for the Bolt. I currently don't have ABS on the Rebel now so I'm not sure how big a factor that is with a larger bike.

Opinions?

Sporty 883, you're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

climboutonalimb posted:

I've been riding a 2009 Honda Rebel 250 bike for ~3 years around San Francisco and the Bay area. I got the bike to learn on and bob around town on. Since buying this bike I've met my current gf and gotten quite a bit of experience on the bike. I've been wanting to get a new bike since the Rebel struggles up some of these steep SF hills, especially 2up with my gf on the back. However, I have avoided replacing it due to not having secure parking in the city and with street parking as my only option, I am willing to risk this small, cheaper bike.

I have finally secured convenient garage parking not too far from my apartment and want to upgrade. I'd like to pay less than $10k, the main function of this bike is going to be city riding with occasional weekend excursions around the area. I'm pretty sure I like the less aggressive riding posture of a crusier than sport bike but tbh, I've never ridden in that position. However, I love the classic cruiser style well above a sport bike look. Also, I'm 5'4" and 130lbs so I want a low CoG and short seat height.

I'm currently torn between the Yamaha Bolt and Kawasaki Vulcan S. I fell in love with the Bolt when it was released in 2014 but after I went to sit on it at the dealer, I didn't like the asymmetry between my knees (the stock air intake box protruded a lot further IRL than in photos) -- I think this can be solved with after market parts. I haven't seen the Vulcan in person but on spec is lighter, liquid cooled, comes with an ABS option and the free ergo fit option is very attractive. I definitely prefer the look of the Bolt a little better than the Vulcan.

Looking at reviews it seems like these are the top two options in this category. I think the lack of ABS is the biggest question for the Bolt. I currently don't have ABS on the Rebel now so I'm not sure how big a factor that is with a larger bike.

Opinions?

Have you considered a SuperDuke?

Your girlfriend will thank me.

E: By that I mean it will attract much more masculine people to beat you up and steal your bike/girlfriend so she isn't dating a bitch that drags her around on a Rebel 250.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Digital_Jesus posted:

Have you considered a SuperDuke?

Your girlfriend will thank me.

E: By that I mean it will attract much more masculine people to beat you up and steal your bike/girlfriend so she isn't dating a bitch that drags her around on a Rebel 250.

5'4" 130lbs dude.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

5'4" 130lbs dude.

You obviously never met z3n.

He's a little tiny bugger. :3:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I want a small dual-sport/sumo for city-living and commuting. Something that won't appeal much to bike thieves. How is the CRF250L?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 25, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Partial Octopus posted:

small dual-sport/sumo. Something that won't appeal much to bike thieves.

Hahahahahahaah

Hahahahahahahahaahahaha

Hahaha

CRF250L is a great bike, from what I hear. You could probably find an xt225 for cheap. What is your budget?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Coydog posted:

Hahahahahahaah

Hahahahahahahahaahahaha

Hahaha

CRF250L is a great bike, from what I hear. You could probably find an xt225 for cheap. What is your budget?

I'd like to spend under 4k. The used market for the CRF's seem to be pretty small.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had a beater KLR 250 stolen in 48 hours of ownership. Thieves love dual sports and sumos. Just get good insurance and lock it to something immobile to be semi protected.

Honda makes great dual sports. Even the farm level Tornado I rode on in mexico was fantastic. If you can get a CRF for less than 4k, more power to you. I'd also consider looking for a wr250r or x, but I doubt you will find one of those for less than 4k.

For far cheaper options, the KLR650 is a solid bet, as is the tw200 (for around town), and the xt225.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

cursedshitbox posted:

You obviously never met z3n.

He's a little tiny bugger. :3:

I'll have you know 5'2 is a very respectable height and my weight keeps my center of gravity low.

For cruiser chat though, there's no way I'd buy a Harley. All the Japanese cruisers do it better for cheaper. Find one that looks decent to you and go for that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

For cruiser chat though, there's no way I'd buy a Harley. All the Japanese cruisers do it better for cheaper. Find one that looks decent to you and go for that.

Why did you have to say that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Why did you have to say that?

Someone was wrong on the internet?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But now there's a good chance that a swarm of people will rush in to tell us how sportsters are actually really good if you look at them through an extremely specific prism.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Don't forget the Indian Scout! Wait, did I already say that?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

I'll have you know 5'2 is a very respectable height and my weight keeps my center of gravity low.

I think it is less that 5'2" is respectable and more that anyone who is 5'2" is respected.

Because all the ones who weren't have been stepped on already.:laugh:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I think it is less that 5'2" is respectable and more that anyone who is 5'2" is respected

Midget rage is a hell of a thing. I know, I married a short one.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Midget rage is a hell of a thing. I know, I married a short one.

My fiance is a midget too. Comes in at about 5 feet tall, or as a short person says it, " 5 feet and half an inch". :jerkbag:

Edit
Vvvv
:golfclap:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 26, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

" 5 feet and half an inch". :jerkbag:

Stop talking about your sex life in here, it's not the place.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Z3n posted:

Dani Pedrosa is 5'2.

and also doesn't hold a candle to any of the other factory riders on the grid. :haw:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hello yes we are talking about short people? Checking in

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Aww, I always liked munchkins. :3:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I would gladly donate four inches of leg bones to one of you short bastards in exchange for a Superduke being able to ride bieks without banging kneecaps on barends.
I only exaggerate slightly; I spent the first week on the Ninja 500 smashing my elbow funny bone on my knees before I got my riding posture figured out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Don't forget the Indian Scout! Wait, did I already say that?

I reeeeally want one of these, but I also reeeeally don't have $13k to spend on a bike.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

A lot of folks here are going to poo poo on cruisers but if you get a Corbin seat with a backrest and make sure the handlebars are positioned where comfortable for you then they can be rolling couches. I've been eyeballing the Vulcan S as well but if you get a chance look to see if you can find a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior. It was a cruiser made to handle. Aluminum frame to keep weight down, upside down forks, decent suspension, good brakes, etc. Pops rode his through the mountains with us on our SV650's and he had no problem getting that bike over and keeping up with us thru the turns. Old man was strollin thru them mountains.

Edit: Also Honda CTX700. If you approach the bike with no pretensions then what you get is a bike that is reliable, gets great gas mileage, and very practical. The anti-cruiser cruiser.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 26, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

I would gladly donate four inches of leg bones to one of you short bastards in exchange for a Superduke being able to ride bieks without banging kneecaps on barends.
I only exaggerate slightly; I spent the first week on the Ninja 500 smashing my elbow funny bone on my knees before I got my riding posture figured out.

Don't, there are far more tall oval office bikes than short arse bikes out there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Went shopping for pants for Lady Chiche. Who makes good kid sizes? She's too short for all the adult one. :laugh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Don't, there are far more tall oval office bikes than short arse bikes out there.

But I like cars too! You ever seen a 6'4" Lurch of an individual try to climb into a Lotus Elise? It's even funnier than watching me climb in and out of an NA Miata.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Went shopping for pants for Lady Chiche. Who makes good kid sizes? She's too short for all the adult one. :laugh:

Chichevache's girlfriend called him a paedophile the other day. He said "That's a big word for an 8-year-old".

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Cheech, what's her size? Also, textile or leather? You can get leathers tailored. Kids stuff usually has crappy armor because it's not for street use.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Chichevache's girlfriend called him a paedophile the other day. He said "That's a big word for an 8-year-old".

:lol:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Cheech, what's her size? Also, textile or leather? You can get leathers tailored. Kids stuff usually has crappy armor because it's not for street use.

She was looking at some Dainese Drakes yestersay. I believe size 42. Those are the only pants she tried where the knee armor actually covered her knees instead of midway down her shin. Material isn't an issue yet, we just need something that fits.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Chichevache posted:

She was looking at some Dainese Drakes yestersay. I believe size 42. Those are the only pants she tried where the knee armor actually covered her knees instead of midway down her shin. Material isn't an issue yet, we just need something that fits.

Remember that the armor will move up quite a bit once you're actually sitting on a bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

And a lot of pants nowadays have these velcro things inside the armor pocket that let you move the armor up and down. Worst case, do what I did - I have these forcefield armor things that slip over your limb instead of going into a pocket.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Partial Octopus posted:

Remember that the armor will move up quite a bit once you're actually sitting on a bike.

Yeah, her legs are still too short. The Drake knee pads are a good six inches off the mark and non-adjustable. Fortunately they are the one pair of pants we tried where it can be easily fixed. For the leathers she tried it would require the entire thigh being taken in and adjusted, stretch panels and all, and I don't think we can find a talented enough seamstress who works in leather, at least not for a price that still makes sense.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does she ride a grom and make it look full sized?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Haven't got her on one yet. We are still working our way up to the BRC.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

There's a 2001 zrx1200 with 33k miles that's been on Craigslist for 3 weeks now for $2400. Thinking about offering him 2k cash and seeing what happens.

I know the bike is generally well liked, any problem spots to check out, or any concern over the miles?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

compton rear end terry posted:

There's a 2001 zrx1200 with 33k miles that's been on Craigslist for 3 weeks now for $2400. Thinking about offering him 2k cash and seeing what happens.

I know the bike is generally well liked, any problem spots to check out, or any concern over the miles?

33k miles is no miles.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
The thing with bike engines is that they last a hell of a lot longer than people assume 33k miles isn't a point where I would be worried about the engine, but it is high. What I would examine closely and ask about are the bearings (wheel, stem, etc.) and seals/leaks. Cables too. Check out the maintenance schedule for it and see what should be replaced by 33k. $2k would be a decent price I think, assuming it's clean and cosmetically nice.

And of course, sprockets, chain, tires (including tire age), and fluids. Brake fluid color is usually a good indicator of how well someone cares for a vehicle I think.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

The thing with bike engines is that they last a hell of a lot longer than people assume 33k miles isn't a point where I would be worried about the engine, but it is high. What I would examine closely and ask about are the bearings (wheel, stem, etc.) and seals/leaks. Cables too. Check out the maintenance schedule for it and see what should be replaced by 33k. $2k would be a decent price I think, assuming it's clean and cosmetically nice.

And of course, sprockets, chain, tires (including tire age), and fluids. Brake fluid color is usually a good indicator of how well someone cares for a vehicle I think.

Unless it's black, it really isn't. A lot of fluid comes out of the bottle a really, really dark liver failure yellow.

If the person wheelies the head bearings will be shattered but if it's an old man (it's always an old man) they'll probably be ok along with all that other stuff, but that's stuff you'd look at on any bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Biggest issue with higher mileage bikes is if the original owner was a squid who didn't know how to shift gears, transmissions usually last around 40k. Look for any hopping out of gear or other bullshit. Also, you're gonna wanna tear it apart and lube all the swingarm bearings/etc.