Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

il serpente cosmico posted:

Have the devs said anything about the whole Poise thing? It's a little crazy to me they would have included it as a stat (and even added a ring that increases it and does nothing else), and then intentionally turned it off. I guess it's possible that they tested the game with poise off and liked it better, but why keep the stat at all, if that's the case? Conventional poise would help balance PvP a bit.

Poise still prevents you from being staggered on roll punishes in PVP. The stat is in the game for PVE mainly (because its too powerful in PVP.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Carl Seitan posted:

Wolf Knight amor and gauntlets + Outrider Knight Legs + Abyss Watchers Helm is where it's at.

Fallen Knight has a cool black helm with a hood but the pants smell like piss and poo poo.

Yuria's helmet and gloves, Wolf Knight armor, Lorian's leggings.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Forgot who it was, but someone had problems with the double dragons guarding the bridge.

If you watch the left one carefully, and wait until his head points skywards, you can sprint over the bridge and make a hard turn for the right-side door without getting burnt.
Once inside, you will get firebombed by asshollows of course.
Upstairs you can stab the dragons claw which spawns an abyssal oil serpent that kill them both, somehow.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ended up going with the sellsword twinblades to match my Dancer outfit without being complete and utter crap

I will alternate between fire and dark resins during hard boss fights

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the minimum Faith/Int needed to make decent use of pyromancy and/or faith buffs?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the minimum Faith/Int needed to make decent use of pyromancy and/or faith buffs?

The minimums required to cast the spells you want to cast

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Poise still prevents you from being staggered on roll punishes in PVP. The stat is in the game for PVE mainly (because its too powerful in PVP.)

But it doesn't even work for PvE! I wouldn't have any particular problem with this setup, I mean I would still get raging mad about thrusting swords, but aside from a little bit of retooling with weapon damage, the PvP isn't terrible with effectively a 0 poise mechanic. But poo poo, at least let me poise through NPCs in PvE.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I ended up going with the sellsword twinblades to match my Dancer outfit without being complete and utter crap

I will alternate between fire and dark resins during hard boss fights

Have you considered a scythe?

Pontiff curved sword is also very elegant and with a dex build kinda useful.
Falchion maybe?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Have you considered a scythe?

Pontiff curved sword is also very elegant and with a dex build kinda useful.
Falchion maybe?

I did not consider a scythe! I'll take a look into it once I have enough titanite to consider a second weapon. Pontiff weapons are a ways away since I did Dancer right after Vordt; I'm still in the cathedral.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Couple questions.

1: What changes with greirat's inventory if I send him out a third time to Lothric castle and find his ashes somewhere?
2: Whats the deal with the video gamey red eyed enemies, some abyss none-sense?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Run at the two dragons, and quit the game as they breathe.

When you load back in, you have the time to run past them into the building.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

On a new play through I was loving around with my old friend: the large club, when I met a certain demon on a wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5LhenX0byw

I totally missed that on my first play through. Have any of you guys come across bosses you can dismember like that?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is yorm's great machete considered a good pvp weapon?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Obligatum VII posted:

Is it just me or do most boss weapons end up completely outclassed by standard weapons that achieve exactly the same AR (if not higher!) and can be infused/buffed? I know that's always been a thing that ends up happening, but it makes me sad that so many neat, unique movesets just end up falling to the wayside. I know part of it is just the absurdity of straight swords in the game presently. Like the storm curved sword is probably where fast 1-handers ought to be in terms of power. I love its weapon art, but it definitely feels outclasses in the end by a longsword or dark sword.

I dunno, I wish they hadn't restricted what could be infused/buffed so much. It's not like a lot of these weapons actually achieve notably better scaling than the more generic sorts.
Depends. Most boss weapons bring something "special" to the table that's supposed to compensate for lack of infusion/buffs. Just off the top of my head:

Farron Greatsword - Spinny attacks with the dual wield L1 attack. The weapon itself suffers from lower than average damage for UGS but the dual wield attack lets you do some real weird manuevers that PvE mobs don't handle very well. Like you can literally slash around a shield or hit a room of whatever. They're fun, but you feel the damage penalty on this one. You can rain some pain on unsuspecting people who don't know what the weapon does in PvP. If they do know the weapon though, you're probably toast because it's easy to roll dodge and you don't regen stamina until you are done with the entire spin.

Profaned Greatsword - Fantastic UGS for quality. It has a great moveset (the stabby kind) and its special is the stomp into uppercut, which in turn buffs the sword with fire momentarily. The weapon is all around great for a UGS and has competitive AR.

Yhorm's Great Machette - Same as the Profaned Greatsword pretty much, except it can't buff itself with a special. However it does have Warcry which means you get a different type of attack on the special, and it's pretty good. Anyway, the damage is competitive with infused type weapons easily.

Gundyr's Halberd - has competitive damage but it's literally the glaive move set. The special is great though, the 360 combo on it does an unusually high amount of damage. I think this one is pretty on par with the black knight halberd or w/e but Gundyr's emphasizes strength.

Swordspear - IIRC this one has the partizan moveset. It's pretty decent especially in PvE with the L2 lightning strike that then buffs your weapon. It's good in PvP too but most people know about the lightning strike now so you lose a bit of an edge compared to the Partizan.

Holy Sword - Ugh I wanted this weapon to be good. It suffers from the problems that you are suspicious about in that its AR is dismal. The special on this one is a laser though and it has a great graphic for it. Kind of funny to whip this out in PvP with the Leo Ring to give it a little boost but it's just not great.

Dragonslayer Greataxe - Probably my favorite weapon. Its stats can actually top the greataxe and the special is a PvE monster. I've seen the hit+explosion do as much as 1500 on some things. Not too shabby in PvP either. Anyway it's like a greataxe except with bigger reach. If you like the great axe then give this thing a shot.

Hollowslayer Greatsword - Interesting GS. As far as I can tell it can have competitive AR but not the best. However it gets something like a 50% damage buff or w/e against "hollows" which is like half the goddamn game. No idea if this does any work in PvP. Anyway the moveset is probably one of the best for greatswords IMO. It gets the stabs, and the special 2H moveset are these fast slashes. I like the weapon, it probably felt the most 'balanced' out of any boss weapon I tried. Not too remarkable nor disappointing.

Coiled Greatsword - Similar AR as the Hollowslayer Greatsword, but this one has the terrible greatsword moveset. The ones that slash vertically instead of stabby stab. The special is pretty great in PvE though, you get a lot of the poise during the down slash so you can do a lot of damage with the slash + fire. The fire itself tends to hit 'twice' since it lingers. Also the sword stays on fire afterwards so you get a little temporary buff. Neat greatsword, but nothing too extraordinary. The moveset is a real bummer.

That's all I've tried. I heard the dancer sword can be good if you do a straight 40/40/40/20 or w/e but goddamn that's an investment for a boring gimmick weapon if you ask me. I can't stand any of the hammer movesets so I never tried them. I messed with demon fists but they don't seem to stagger like other weapons so I never got good mileage out of them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here experimented with daggers?

I really really want to use the Harpe as it's perfect for my Velka-themed dex character, but it deals almost no damage, no bleed and no poise. I tried out the Bandit's Knife and it feels like I can actually kill stuff since eventually they'll bleed and take a chunk of damage. It's still incredibly bad compared to basically anything else but at least it kinda works, so I'm wondering if maybe I could Bleed infuse the Harpe? Of course, that runs into the same problem that a lot of potential gimmick runs do in this game; you can't do that until waaay into the game.

I also have no idea how to make use of the Quickstep ability since I'm pretty much required to keep a shield in my left hand for parrying, in order to actually kill stuff (since a bunch of enemies in this game are immune to backstabs).

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Loten posted:

On a new play through I was loving around with my old friend: the large club, when I met a certain demon on a wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5LhenX0byw

I totally missed that on my first play through. Have any of you guys come across bosses you can dismember like that?

Dang, that was more brutal than I expected. I don't recall any other enemy you can really do that to.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lol. the dark sword broken af

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 27, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Loten posted:

Whaaaaat? That's awesome.

I've killed him three times now and never seen that happen.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I think it happens when you hit the legs a bunch, it also makes him much harder to hit in melee range because he starts freaking out instead of his big slow predictable swings.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Einwand posted:

I think it happens when you hit the legs a bunch, it also makes him much harder to hit in melee range because he starts freaking out instead of his big slow predictable swings.

Yeah definitely that's how. Crippling limbs was a major part of BB's bosses and one even lost its legs, just didn't know that was anywhere in DS3. Mostly cause I just stabbed that demon in the butt same as his ancestors.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I like the "Stance" skill but hardly any Greatswords have it. I feel so loving lucky I managed to get a Flamberge drop around when I was leaving behind undead settlement for good.

While it's drop rate is a bitch, it is also literally the only Stance Greatsword that isn't a unique one of a kind per NG snowflake. Even if it does not have a Thrust like the claymore, and even though I'm not running a 'max bleed' build, I've been enjoying it.

That said, whenever I get around to killing ol tree boss I'm probably making the hollowslayer sword on principle then. Even if I can't set it on fire.

Unrelated, note to self. Window shop for 20/20 STR/DEX capable weapons that feel like a nice thematic fit for a Stone Parma.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 26, 2016

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm a fan of Lothric's Holy Sword even if it is weak as poo poo. The laser is pretty fast, has good range and deals about as much damage as an uncharged R2. It's also considered thrust for that sweet Leo Ring damage and you can play mind games by going into Stance and not attacking. It just deals so little damage, though. At 40/40 it has something like 330 AR and can't be buffed.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
Been avoiding the thread till I finish my first run. Got to the Soul of Cinder about half an hour ago. I turned off the HUD when I got to the area leading up to him and left it off for the fight. Fought him for a good long while it seemed until he did some obscene combo on me. When I turned the HUD on for the rematch I got him to the same place and laughed my rear end off at the combo. I'm loving this fight and I'm shocked I got him as far as I did with no HUD.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Section Z posted:

I like the "Stance" skill but hardly any Greatswords have it. I feel so loving lucky I managed to get a Flamberge drop around when I was leaving behind undead settlement for good.

While it's drop rate is a bitch, it is also literally the only Stance Greatsword that isn't a unique one of a kind per NG snowflake. Even if it does not have a Thrust like the claymore, and even though I'm not running a 'max bleed' build, I've been enjoying it.

That said, whenever I get around to killing ol tree boss I'm probably making the hollowslayer sword on principle then. Even if I can't set it on fire.

Unrelated, note to self. Window shop for 20/20 STR/DEX capable weapons that feel like a nice thematic fit for a Stone Parma.

Why not use the Claymore then?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm a fan of Lothric's Holy Sword even if it is weak as poo poo. The laser is pretty fast, has good range and deals about as much damage as an uncharged R2. It's also considered thrust for that sweet Leo Ring damage and you can play mind games by going into Stance and not attacking. It just deals so little damage, though. At 40/40 it has something like 330 AR and can't be buffed.
Yep probably the biggest disappointment of the game's weapons for me. Honestly though the holy sword feels like the damage that all other straight swords should be doing. It actually feels balanced.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why not use the Claymore then?

I've been using it for variety as much as anything :v: Claymore is nice but I decided "Hey, let's try something slightly different than for once!" Plus I have a back up Flamberge in storage in case I want to do some wacky poo poo to it without worry, unlike a One Per NG weapon which would take more effort playing with gems to try different things with, and then go back.

Claymore is loving sweet as ever, though.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
After getting jacked 20x in a row by the wizard boss who summons clones, I finally googled it in frustration. Turns out being colorblind sucks :emo:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
someBODY once told me...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jerkface posted:

someBODY once told me...

That is a good Shrek.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Firelink Greatsword has the bad move set, but it's special is a long range hit + path of fire that can do 600ish damage to a player if you land it directly on them.

But it looks hella rad so.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Grem posted:

For you guys that love invading, how often do you run into just a total poo poo at PvP player such as myself?

All the time, but heres the kick. It won't even matter how bad you are if you just run. 5v1'ing a group of phantoms who are willing to fight is easier then chasing down a single host who refuses to fight.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Of all the bosses to give me SL1 trouble i was not expecting Crystal Sage

i beat abyss watchers in two tries and i've tried to kill this fucker like eight times

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
100% my pick for worst enemy in the game is the upright ghru that leap onto your head. I've had about a 3% success rate avoiding that attack and they're the main reason I keep a ranged attack with me. gently caress those guys.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So forgive me for not reading the 1000 posts a day this thread gets, but does Poise not work at all then??

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shannow posted:

100% my pick for worst enemy in the game is the upright ghru that leap onto your head. I've had about a 3% success rate avoiding that attack and they're the main reason I keep a ranged attack with me. gently caress those guys.

Not to mention their grab which is a one-shot kill unless you've pumped some points into Vigor :sigh:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Monomythian posted:

All the time, but heres the kick. It won't even matter how bad you are if you just run. 5v1'ing a group of phantoms who are willing to fight is easier then chasing down a single host who refuses to fight.

No joke. Trying to kill a player that doesn't want to die is so tedious sometimes I want to black crystal out after the host as summoned the third phantom. But can't back out at that point. It's the principle of the matter. If you don't kill 'em when they run it'll just encourage more people to run.

Shannow posted:

Slash once, roll, rinse, repeat. They like to use that head stomp as a counter to R1 spam so you can actually exploit it. Doesn't make it any more redeeming, but you can make it less frustrating.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

MZ posted:

So forgive me for not reading the 1000 posts a day this thread gets, but does Poise not work at all then??

There's some strangeness about it maybe preventing you from being staggered out of the tail end of your rolls, but I am of the mind it literally does absolutely nothing and the deal with roll poising is an artifact of phantom hits.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

MZ posted:

Poise on armour, at least, does nothing. Weapon buffs may work.

People say it extends hyper armour frames on attacks but no one has actually tested that at all and people just keep repeating it.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Why have they removed the whole break a tail to get a piece from the games lately it makes me sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Shannow posted:

The real worst enemy is any dog in excess of one.