Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Kild posted:

has any tecmo koei game ever been good?

Excuse me, I'll have you know Koei helped release Colosseum: Road to Freedom, which is a game where you can knock off an opponent's helmet and kill them by throwing it back at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Question, in the second picture, which area is that building on the edge of the cliff? I can't really tell if that was a area I've been before since I could never see the boreal valley from any location.

Abyss Watcher's arena.

IT'S ALWAYS THE ABYSS WATCHERS

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Xenolalia posted:

Excuse me, I'll have you know Koei helped release Colosseum: Road to Freedom, which is a game where you can knock off an opponent's helmet and kill them by throwing it back at them.

God, that and Shadow of Rome were fun stuff, there's not enough good gladiator sim-y games.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Some fashion souls here, I absolutely love the Black Hand chest and the Cathedral knight helm is my favorite plate helm.

Question, in the second picture, which area is that building on the edge of the cliff? I can't really tell if that was a area I've been before since I could never see the boreal valley from any location.

That's the building where you fight the Cursed Rotted Greatwood. You can see the Boreal Valley from the Undead Settlement, it's just semi-obscured by clouds.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

Abyss Watcher's arena.

IT'S ALWAYS THE ABYSS WATCHERS

Actually I'm pretty sure it's the cursed Greatwood area

Edit: unless that was sarcasm in which case I apologize for being an idiot

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I accidentally wandered into a new area with the dried finger on (was summoning lots of bros from my last boss fight). After I killed the third invader I figured out what the hell was going on. Got invaded one more time before I could homebone, but managed to kill that guy as well and get the hell out of there. Had like 100k souls so my heart was pounding a little. One of the few times I decided it was worth using a Seed of the Tree of Giants.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

For you guys that love invading, how often do you run into just a total poo poo at PvP player such as myself?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mazerunner posted:

Ok so people keep asking, what's that building? What's that? So I took some pictures from the cliff just after Vordt

The bridge, and then the long, low building is the Abyss Watcher's/start of the Catacombs.

Xenolalia posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's the cursed Greatwood area

Edit: unless that was sarcasm in which case I apologize for being an idiot

It's Abyss Watchers.

or is it? now I've confused myself, poo poo

e; actually I think I'm wrong

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 26, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I just started a new character on a whim, an Assassin.

I, who am absolute poo poo at parrying in DS1 and 2, suddenly find myself almost effortlessly parrying the hollows in the starting area, and beyond that.

I think it's because the small shield's wind-up matches that of the enemy. Since I tend to reflexively go for the block/parry the second they start moving, I do that little flourish and that times the actual parrying frames to where the hit actually comes in.

Has anyone else had this experience, and does it hold more or less the same throughout the game? I saw some complaints about parrying way upthread, but it seems almost like while they've messed with the reflexes of veteran parry-ers, they've thrown a bone to us numbskulls who could never get it right before. :v:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Grem posted:

For you guys that love invading, how often do you run into just a total poo poo at PvP player such as myself?

Every invasion at least once, i got really frustrated yesterday though when i invaded and there were 2 estoc turtles waiting for me, chugging away

I beat one but they won the war of attrition smh

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
To those that PVP: Try using the rope firebomb. It's cool and good.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Grem posted:

I used to be one of those people. I'm a bit better than the average person I come across, but it's rare to see a god-awful person. Here's how to get good: start invading! You'll realise the limitations very fast: you have less health as an invader, half the estus charges, and they can have help (they always seem to have help). Most invaders don't stand a chance once you have a bit of practice.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grem posted:

Its hard to tell, mainly because most total poo poo players spend their time glued to phantoms and fights with them are total clusterfucks. The one surefire indicator that someone is bad at PvP though is when they hide behind a shield. Letting yourself get guard broken in PvP because you don't know when to lower your shield is a death sentence.

Other good indicator that you're fighting a bad player; fallen knight set with a long sword.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yeah seriously just grab the red eye orb and start invading, there's literally no penalty for dying and it's pretty fun to be on the other side!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Kild posted:

has any tecmo koei game ever been good?

yes, what you meant to ask was "has any team ninja game ever been good?"

the answer is no.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

the answer is no.

thank you

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

ShadowMar posted:

the answer is no.

Hyrule Warriors is good.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
On my way to Aldrich as a Sunbro yesterday a Magic user invader wasn't sure what to do when he saw me running towards him wielding Smough's Hammer, he died before he could get a cast off, it may be slow as hell but its the best weapon ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Butt Ox posted:

Hyrule Warriors is good.

Also the first two Ninja Gaiden's, Toukiden and some of the DoA's if you don't take them too seriously. The new FF Dissidia looks good too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Internet Kraken posted:

Other good indicator that you're fighting a bad player; fallen knight set with a long sword.

gently caress you too pal

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ProfessorBooty posted:

To those that PVP: Try using the rope firebomb. It's cool and good.

The rope firebombs are cool because they don't take six years to throw like regular items.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I know Faith's not amazing but I did my first playthrough without any magic and kind of want to try some for NG+, what stats do I want, and any items in particular? I think I have all the miracle boosting rings...

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Daynab posted:

I know Faith's not amazing but I did my first playthrough without any magic and kind of want to try some for NG+, what stats do I want, and any items in particular? I think I have all the miracle boosting rings...

60 faith and a maxed charm.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

rope firebombs are perfect for instantly finishing off the dude you just backstabbed/riposted who somehow but inevitably managed to survive with a single pixel of HP

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

60 faith and a maxed charm.

I'll give that a shot. Any miracles particularly interesting outside of buffs? Lightning Stake seems decent but I'm not sure about the rest

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
"Did I gently caress up my questline" question here, about a certain thief you recruit.

So I'm in Irithyll Valley when I got spoiled that I left Sieg down in a well somewhere. So I find him, and agree to get his armor.
Patches was supposed to sell me the armor, I thought, but he asked me a question about the thief guy and refused to be a merchant with me, and now he's gone from Firelink entirely.

Am I screwed for Seig's story events? Presumably the thief will be safe now, but have I completely missed Sieg's appearances in Irithyll even if I get his armor? If I kill the Irithyll boss, I assume Patches will be back and I can't go to see the events (I hear Seig gives you a Miracle, is my concern, and I wanna see if I can keep getting him to pop up later.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

snoremac posted:

If you fight the fire-breathing dragon on the High Wall it flies away with a quarter health left. Does it ever show up again anywhere else?

After you kill the second skeleton ball in catacombs he pops out of it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Daynab posted:

I'll give that a shot. Any miracles particularly interesting outside of buffs? Lightning Stake seems decent but I'm not sure about the rest

Not a miracle but the skills of Dragonslayer Swordspear and Morne's Hammer both scale with faith and are fantastic.

Edit: never mind I looked it up and Morne's doesn't scale with faith, Swordspear does, though.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Finally got enough time away from work to finish the game.

It's so drat good.
Best in the series probably. Beat it with the help of a kind goon giving me his Barbed Straight Sword for my initial gimmick run of maxing Luck and nothing else. Hollow BSS is legit. Missed like 90% of the sidequests and tons of loot, will be going through again with my old standard Caestus next. Sad you can't parry with them anymore, pleased they give you actual Poise. My single grievence with the game aside from hotheaded angry ranting about bosses mid fight is the new poise system being confusing and weird.

Now that I can dive into other people's runs and spoilers with reckless abandon while playing my next character Bishop Onionfist, I'm debating how to build this time around. Raw Caestus and pump faith early, then Refined Caestus and softcap STR/DEX later? Heavy Caestus and split the points between STR and Faith as I go? Lightning or Dark Caestus?

I'm leaning towards the first, packing Blessed Weapon, Lightning Blade, Dark Blade, Darkmoon Blade, and Sacred Oath. Who needs healing or lightning spears when you've got Fists for Every Occasion?

Hell I could even add the White Hair Talisman and add Carthus Flame Arc to the party. Does the WHT gently caress up Dark Blade?

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 26, 2016

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

YorexTheMad posted:

"Did I gently caress up my questline" question here, about a certain thief you recruit.

So I'm in Irithyll Valley when I got spoiled that I left Sieg down in a well somewhere. So I find him, and agree to get his armor.
Patches was supposed to sell me the armor, I thought, but he asked me a question about the thief guy and refused to be a merchant with me, and now he's gone from Firelink entirely.

Am I screwed for Seig's story events? Presumably the thief will be safe now, but have I completely missed Sieg's appearances in Irithyll even if I get his armor? If I kill the Irithyll boss, I assume Patches will be back and I can't go to see the events (I hear Seig gives you a Miracle, is my concern, and I wanna see if I can keep getting him to pop up later.

You could try clearing the area and seeing if you can still purchase the armor. If you can, go back and see if you can continue with the quest line.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Grem posted:

Maybe 1 in 20, but we're talking about the complete poo poo-shows. It is otherwise really really difficult to tell who is "good" at PvP and who is "bad" at PvP in the context of invasions.

Invaders by default will have 30% less health than the host, are 9 times out of 10 facing up against a host and phantom(s). It's asymmetrical. They have to use completely different strengths than things that are technically relevant to "PvP'.

After you personally do a bunch of invasions, even if you are still completely poo poo at PvP, you will at least understand what the invader is up against and it takes the edge off. For me personally, this got me to really appreciate being invaded. Not "use the dried finger" enjoy being invaded, but play coop and being invaded by a single red phantom or two is really fun.They have the NPCs and a health deficit. I have a phantom and a health/estus advantage. They have to pull dirty tricks. I have to be on the look out and see through their shenanigans. Rarely are invasions really decided by who has the best understanding of frame timings or whatever. Usually it's the red phantom being stagger locked to death by incoming R1 spam.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'm currently meta-souls trolling by telling the twitch chat for a speedrunner you can skip vordt by using the quickstep to bypass his cutscene door.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Invading is definitely harder in DS3 than any other game. I think I fail the vast majority of my ganks. They always have a friend with them, and my 'friends' can gank me in the back.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The Vordt skip will become the new "Chaos Sif" rumor. The cycle continues.

Edit: My favorite tactic during invasions is to hide and wait for the cops to arrive, then murder the cops. Or just be hide and seek champion 2016 and wait for other invaders to wear down the gank squad. Admittedly nobody seems to know how to deal with Hollow BSS / max health+stamina / Knight Slayer Ring shenanigans. I just wail on shields until they I get a guard break or a bleed and gently caress off when they start parrying.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 26, 2016

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

PSA: If you wear either the full fallen knight or abyss watchers set, you're the scum of fashion souls.

Wolf Knight amor and gauntlets + Outrider Knight Legs + Abyss Watchers Helm is where it's at.

Fallen Knight has a cool black helm with a hood but the pants smell like piss and poo poo.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Good news and possibly bad news.

Good news is, your your thief buddy is probably saved - if you do not buy Seigward's armor, Patches will actually go and return a favor he owes to Greirat. Bad news is the quest is apparently a little broken and sometimes Greirat dies regardless, and I suppose there is an off chance that Patches may still kill Greirat, which is what he will normally do if you tell him where you sent Greirat to pillage AND you have already purchased Seigward's armor.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 26, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Never don't be wearing Artorias' stickman legs

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Carl Seitan posted:

Wolf Knight amor and gauntlets + Outrider Knight Legs + Abyss Watchers Helm is where it's at.

Fallen Knight has a cool black helm with a hood but the pants smell like piss and poo poo.

I like that from made the cool looking armor set be from a guy who poo poo his pants while running from a giant crab or something and then got owned.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fallen Knight has a cool raggedy cape and that's all I really care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Not a miracle but the skills of Dragonslayer Swordspear and Morne's Hammer both scale with faith and are fantastic.

Edit: never mind I looked it up and Morne's doesn't scale with faith, Swordspear does, though.

Oh yeah, the swordspear is what I wanted to try out too