Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

Well.

At least she has a staff.

Here's some concept art that was kicking around last year, it's not terribly far off the final version:

There's a bunch more concept designs from the same source which might give some indication of what the rest of the film might look like. Or maybe not, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

We're never not going to lose our collective poo poo over set photos of costumes, are we.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TetsuoTW posted:

We're never not going to lose our collective poo poo over set photos of costumes, are we.

Dude, I gather my poo poo up into a net in preparation for set photo releases.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys. The Power Rangers TV show looks dumb as hell. The Power Rangers movie is also going to look dumb as hell. How is this surprising? Did you think this

would somehow suddenly look badass when it gets put on a big screen?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Guys. The Power Rangers TV show looks dumb as hell. The Power Rangers movie is also going to look dumb as hell. How is this surprising? Did you think this

would somehow suddenly look badass if they get put on a big screen?

They already did put it on the big screen and yes, it looked like total rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Edit: Wrong thread.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

What are some good comic adaptation films which aren't about superheros?

I didn't realize Kingsman and Blade were comic book IPs and quite enjoyed them, along with Dredd and Stardust.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Have you seen The Crow or From Hell?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheeee posted:

I didn't realize Kingsman and Blade were comic book IPs and quite enjoyed them, along with Dredd and Stardust.

Here's a pretty long list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_English-language_comics

Anyone seen this?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheeee posted:

History of Violence, American Splendor, Josie and the Pussycats, Ghost World, Blue is the Warmest Color, Persepolis, Road to Perdition.

Edit: There's also a bunch that aren't really Super-Hero movies, but take place in a different enough world than our own that I sorta count them in that category, Kingsmen and Blade would fit, also Scott Pilgrim, Wanted, Tank Girl.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 26, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Wheeee posted:

A History of Violence. Ghost World.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

A History of Violence. Ghost World.

Everybody forgets Josie and the Pussycats, which is honestly, no joke, the best movie based on a comic ever.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

lmao

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Skwirl posted:

Everybody forgets Josie and the Pussycats, which is honestly, no joke, the best movie based on a comic ever.

It's really really funny, you're right. Alan Cumming is amazing.

I do always forget about it though but now you're making me want to rewatch it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

[ _ ] Giving
[ _ ] Receiving
[ X ] Everything About It

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Neo Rasa posted:

That's like the dumbest bullshit I ever heard in my life.

Yase, because a separate asian country is just like this decades long disputed region a few thousand kms away. I think you and others are vastly overestimating the power that the writers and even some of the producers had on this one, as well as how much the average pleb Chinese moveijoe does when it comes to the party's film review board. Disney Likes Income. This is dumb bullshit, but not for the reasons you (and others) think.

As a non-white non-american, I

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wheeee posted:

The Losers was a fun movie.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Oof, the losers is a fun comic and maybe that's why I hated the film so much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Great, actual movie's ruined now.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Great, actual movie's ruined now.

Surely you mean "actual movie's sooo gooood now".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They hosed up Zedd's design in the first movie

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Seems about the same to me?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Spider-man owning the poo poo out of Winter Soldier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q1gpvIL2QY

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Seems about the same to me?

Hard to tell in that picture but they made him quite a bit beefier and changed his brain to a weird pulsating one, which counterintuitively actually made him much less threatening looking.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I feel that Cloak & Dagger getting a show on Freestyle (formerly ABC Family) is Ike Perlmutter showing Kevin Feige that he too can have a teen superhero like Spider-Man. Two of them, in fact.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It would be a modern day tragedy if Hollywood destroyed the image of the proud and noble Power Rangers franchise through cheesy, camp costume design. It would be an outright attack on all that is great about our culture.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Spider stronk makes me kind of hype, cant lie..

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah so far I'm loving everything they're showing of Spidey.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

:agreed:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

net cafe scandal posted:

It's kinda ridiculous how out-powered Cap's team is, though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ant-Man, with a little creativity, could solo all of them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

That's like the dumbest bullshit I ever heard in my life. I know Tibet is a hot topic but if they cared like that then they wouldn't have set a third of Age of Ultron in Seoul. Basically all of China, South Korea and SE Asia TURNED THE gently caress OUT for The Dark Knight just for Chin Han (Singapore). If the movie is already a juggernaut like MCU flicks and has a star people in a part of the world are familiar with they'll show up. I can't believe that guy managed to do the "but but but CHINA" bullshit and "whelp better to have no Asian character at all" at the same time.

Then again maybe I'm not, I see some MCU fans from the US legit worried about China. Like China's existence is hurting cinema as an art form. Some poor white dude's life was ruined because he heard there was a cut of Iron Man 3 9,000 miles away where a doctor is on screen for two seconds. Oh my God China.

You know that China chooses what movies plays in its theaters right? And has banned plenty of movies in the past, from Wolves of Wall Street to Noah for various and unclear reasons. China is the world's largest market right now, and doing what you can to have your movies play there (just wait until China tightens their policy in only allowing in Chinese co-produced or significant Chinese represented movies in their domestic market, this is the reason for a lot of Iron Man 3), is utterly, unavoidably rational.

Wheeee posted:

The Shadow. American Splendour. Ghostworld. We Are The Best.

Those are just off the top of my head.

EDIT: And Josie and The Pussycats is great, silly stuff.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 26, 2016

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Isn't Brad Pitt permabanned from China or something because he was in 7 Years in Tibet?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MorgaineDax posted:

Isn't Brad Pitt permabanned from China or something because he was in 7 Years in Tibet?

So that's why Marvel hasn't approached him yet!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Ant-Man, with a little creativity, could solo all of them.

Scarlet Witch is the ultimate "I win" button in comics. Hope the movie version stays away from that nonsense and keeps her as just mid-powered Jean Grey but with red lights.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scyantific posted:

That's awesome dude!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Levity.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Hard to tell in that picture but they made him quite a bit beefier and changed his brain to a weird pulsating one, which counterintuitively actually made him much less threatening looking.

I can tell you exactly what's wrong with the first movie design.

It's the 80s/90s action figure version of the design with gimmicked PULSING BRAIN ACTION because the original Lord Zedd was too scary for soccer moms.

So they intentionally dumbed it down. You'll notice they also removed his weird hosed up tubing that had all kinds of fluid flowing through out his body too.

But, it still LOOKS like Lord Zedd. A lovely For Kids version, which is hilarious considering the original Lord Zedd becomes Al Bundy a third of the way through his existence, but he looks like Lord Zedd.

If they pull the same thing they did with Rita and totally divorce their Lord Zedd from the original in terms of design, it would be the dumbest thing they could do because the original Lord Zedd's design is perfect for this kind of film.

The suit was limited due to being made on a kids budget and the first American one they ever made, but the concept and design is stellar. If they take away from that design- not stream line, not modernize- but literally take away, it would be the second biggest mistake they could make. If Lord Zedd is just some scarred dude with a normal face and stuff, that is a bad call.

the biggest mistake they could make would be what the first movie WANTED to do to the Ranger designs. Originally, in the first MMPR movie, the producers or whoever had the helmets remove the mouth plates and the visors so the actors face could be seen- which is a horrible idea and misses the point of being a Power Rangers adaptation. Plus it just looked lovely. Thankfully some one realized what a mistake they were making and they didn't do that. I think there are production photos that show what an awful look it was too.

So yeah. I'm reserving judgement until I see what they do with the Ranger suits. Because in a world where Batfleck exists and we have a purple and blue robot with a stupid jewel in the middle of his head fights along side Captain America and Iron Man, you can do justice to the Power Ranger designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Shageletic posted:

The Shadow. American Splendour. Ghostworld. We Are The Best.

Those are just off the top of my head.

EDIT: And Josie and The Pussycats is great, silly stuff.

I'd throw in 30 Days of Night as well.

• Locked thread