Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My first eu4 game was one of the Japanese minors.

His name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually believe mine was as well. To answer NCS question I just did the in game tutorial and started playing. I probably still don't know any hot strats and tips because I've only ever just played the game a bunch but it's not bad for EU. CK was harder for that because there's a lot of tricky ways you need to manipulate your family to really get what you want but that's the nature of the beast. EU is a lot easier to say This is what I want to do and here's how I'm going to do it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i did a daimyo at launch and somethign went wrong with the game when i conquered all of japan and i couldnt switch to actually being japan and i was stuck as a daimyo all alone

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i was able to load the save like a year later, click the decision button, and get the achievement anyway :)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

i did a daimyo at launch and somethign went wrong with the game when i conquered all of japan and i couldnt switch to actually being japan and i was stuck as a daimyo all alone

I think if you conquered Japan before doing the decision you could never be Japan. I remember some dumbass doing it in the badgame thread that saved me and it was probably you.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

it was me

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

I actually believe mine was as well. To answer NCS question I just did the in game tutorial and started playing. I probably still don't know any hot strats and tips because I've only ever just played the game a bunch but it's not bad for EU. CK was harder for that because there's a lot of tricky ways you need to manipulate your family to really get what you want but that's the nature of the beast. EU is a lot easier to say This is what I want to do and here's how I'm going to do it

Nice. Are Muslim countries fun to play, because I want to do that first when I'm done playing DS3 in five years.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Nice. Are Muslim countries fun to play, because I want to do that first when I'm done playing DS3 in five years.

Ottos are second only to Portugal as beginner countries and are insanely powerful on the early game and while they get hamstrung on the lategame you still have a gigantic manpower reserve.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Are Ottos Muslim?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Ottoman Empire is Sunni, yes

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

K00L.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think I've ever played past 1600 in this game, lol. Also never played a western nation so I have no idea what the "natural" tech progression is supposed to look like.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Ottomans are dumb. I feel dirty if I play these games and aren't actively trying to eradicate Islam from earth to secure a future for White Children.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Another good idea for a islam game is probably Delhi or the biggest sunni country in india and try to beat the subcontinent thunderdome and unite Hindustan before the Europeans come a knocking.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I did it, everyone. I bought EU4 for $8. Is any of the DLC worth it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Another good idea for a islam game is probably Delhi or the biggest sunni country in india and try to beat the subcontinent thunderdome and unite Hindustan before the Europeans come a knocking.

That sounds cool. Any other good starts in the Middle East ythough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

I did it, everyone. I bought EU4 for $8. Is any of the DLC worth it

Probably not at this point. 80% of DLC stuff has just been added in a free patch by now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Not advisable since the ottomans will most likely gently caress you up. Avoid Timurids if you are starting out as well because poo poo goes downhill for them really fast and you'll have a billion rebellions

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The Ottomans are dumb. I feel dirty if I play these games and aren't actively trying to eradicate Islam from earth to secure a future for White Children.

This.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

net cafe scandal posted:

Oman is pretty challenging because you're Ibadi.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Tunis, maybe. A lot of them that are fun, like Tabrestan, require gamey strats.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Although iif you play the Mamluks well you can contain the turks and can easily expan towards north africa and middle east to unify Islam

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

at the date posted:

Oman is pretty challenging because you're Ibadi.

Oman must be cooler now cause the entire west african coast now has nations you can conquer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oman seems like they'd be assfucked by the Ottomans pretty fast unless you escape to the East African coast.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hormuz starts pretty rich. If you like the OPM challenge, give them a try.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's OPM.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
One province minor.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Oman seems like they'd be assfucked by the Ottomans pretty fast unless you escape to the East African coast.

That's what i did when I played as them

In Training posted:

What's OPM.

One Province Minor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A fun start is the Holy Roman Empire :troll:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

A fun start is the Holy Roman Empire :troll:

It actually is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
France is fun cause you get to gently caress with the papacy

but then I always play Savoy so what the hell do I know about good countries

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Vijayanagar is my favorite start. You start strong but not overwhelmingly so and India in general is really fun. Since you start in the south of India you can focus fully on the subcontinent until you're ready to expand out of it and on trade.

I also like Portugal a lot since trade and colonization are my favorite parts of the game and Portugal's bar none the best nation for those but you can't just immediately start whooping your neighbors' asses like Vijay.

In Training posting about his Africa game makes me want to start one when I get home. I haven't played in like a year, wish me luck everyone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna return to that tonight and see how badly Ottoman fucks my rear end before maybe starting over with Portugal and running away to Greenland ASAP.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Try asking "Otto Man" to be gentle. Interesting name, by the way

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

corn in the bible posted:

France is fun cause you get to gently caress with the papacy everybody

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

net cafe scandal posted:

didn't seem to work for Lawrence

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I like "hard" starts in EU4, but I admit my favorite nation by far is England. You get a bunch of great event chains, the parliament, a natural rival in France that still presents a challenge that may last all game depending on how well your early wars work out--especially now that they're apparently adding a loving STRAIT CROSSING at Normandy--and a great color. Nothing like painting India, North America, South Africa, and Australia red to recreate the greatest colonial empire the world has ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The ottomans wiped me out so now I'm just waiting for them to sue for peace and see how much they take.