Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm pretty sure that every single enemy in this game has some sort of super secret attack that they only use after you've fought them a bunch of times and you're certain that you've got them figured out and only when you're at half hp and about to take a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Vermain posted:

I play Dark Souls in the Chief Arino method: by running like a coward away from every enemy and otherwise finding the safest possible strategy to fight something if I can't otherwise avoid it.

He at least looks cool, but even non-cheese Anri SS bleed builds can take him out pretty easily as long as they're using God's Chosen Weapon, the straight sword.

Every person I invade who does this makes me angry

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Electric Lady posted:

Any ideas on this? I think it has something to do with particle effects, because it's not only fire and bloodstains/messages, but also item drops.

This is what the Firelink Shrine looks like - notice the lack of fire effects both on the bonfire and candles:

This is what the drop looks like for souls that need to be recovered after death:

Since I have a lower-end PC (obviously, as you can see from my Radeon HD 6800 series), I use an external program called RadeonPro to lock my FPS to 30 and change some other settings. I followed a guide that I believe I saw on Reddit, but I don't think that any of these change particle settings since I have the same problem even running the program outside of RadeonPro:

Again, I've made sure that my drivers are absolutely up-to-date. I don't believe that AMD is supporting my GPU anymore, so if it's a problem with that then I'm out of luck. :sigh:

Looks like you set a bunch of texture filtering options, particularly that "performance" setting you see in the radeonpro commands. Get rid of that stuff. It'll have all sorts of strange effects where you would least expect it, because developers sometimes tie LODs to mipmap levels, where that particular setting tries to achieve better performance by dragging mipmap stages closer to the camera. My experience with the game is I get some pretty servere LOD pop-in when I turn texture detail to medium, so the odds something like that are going on here is likely, and if you are effectively forcing even shorter mipmap distances on top of low texture quality settings in-game, well, there you go.

Better advice, disable absolutely all of that stuff in RadeonPro, and just use it to limit framerate. Get better performance by lowering resolution (even though it seems you're already really low). If you really can't stand going any lower, then try fiddling with things in RadeonPro one at a time until you can hold 30FPS. More importantly, you're just trying to see whether or not it has anything to do with the settings you're using in RadeonPro, or whether it is more an issue with the videocard itself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm suddenly very interested in trying to figure out what a good safe stopping point for Vigor is on a PvP build.

27 Vigor gets you 1000 HP. 50 Vigor gets you 1300 HP. That seems like a really small return on investment for 23 levels worth of Vigor to me, but it is worth about one straight sword/thrusting sword hit and that could make the difference. Stopping at 30-35 seems like even more of a waste--you're getting like 100 more HP total and that won't save you from anything, really. Maybe 40 is good.

I dunno. How much damage are UGS/great hammer/great axes doing in PvP these days? That might make a meaningful difference.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

I've never seen his big barf attack

All I've seen is him swipe me a couple of times and then claw forward and then that's it

That fight is probably cooler than it first appeared

You aren't really missing much on that one. The first time I fought him it was literally the first thing he did and I died instantly because I didn't know to run away from it. Essentially it's a really slow, obvious, easy to avoid attack that forces you to run far away from him until it dissipates - otherwise it absolutely kills you.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
I'm done playing any PvP in Dark Straight Sword until they re-enable poise or something.

Between most of the changes in this game, I wish the producer would gently caress back off to Bloodbourne or something.

For the record, I liked 2 more.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vermain posted:

I play Dark Souls in the Chief Arino method: by running like a coward away from every enemy and otherwise finding the safest possible strategy to fight something if I can't otherwise avoid it.

He at least looks cool, but even non-cheese Anri SS bleed builds can take him out pretty easily as long as they're using God's Chosen Weapon, the straight sword.

I get clobbered by like a dozen mobs as I'm trying to open chests and getting pinned in doorways and I say "loving ridiculous" as if I didn't do it to myself

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CDW posted:

I'm done playing any PvP in Dark Straight Sword until they re-enable poise or something.

Between most of the changes in this game, I wish the producer would gently caress back off to Bloodbourne or something.

Screams and runs back to Imp Zone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CDW posted:

The game does channel Bloodborne in a lot of places. It's a strange mixture of Souls and Bloodborne in terms of general game speed which is probably hard to get used to for people who are fans of the former but not the latter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CDW posted:

I parried a Dark Sword spammer's running attack yesterday and felt like a PvP god.

I still lost. :negative: To date my only lost duel in DS3, though, so I guess I'm doing all right. (Astora Greatsword owns hard, turns out, and I would've won if I'd been wearing the Hornet Ring.)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You aren't really missing much on that one. The first time I fought him it was literally the first thing he did and I died instantly because I didn't know to run away from it. Essentially it's a really slow, obvious, easy to avoid attack that forces you to run far away from him until it dissipates - otherwise it absolutely kills you.

Get this: you can actually get close to him when he barfs and it'll never hit you, it only spreads in a cone in front of him.

Only reason I was able to kill him when doing the two ring then one ring method

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CDW posted:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Kiggles posted:

Looks like you set a bunch of texture filtering options, particularly that "performance" setting you see in the radeonpro commands. Get rid of that stuff. It'll have all sorts of strange effects where you would least expect it, because developers sometimes tie LODs to mipmap levels, where that particular setting tries to achieve better performance by dragging mipmap stages closer to the camera. My experience with the game is I get some pretty servere LOD pop-in when I turn texture detail to medium, so the odds something like that are going on here is likely, and if you are effectively forcing even shorter mipmap distances on top of low texture quality settings in-game, well, there you go.

Better advice, disable absolutely all of that stuff in RadeonPro, and just use it to limit framerate. Get better performance by lowering resolution (even though it seems you're already really low). If you really can't stand going any lower, then try fiddling with things in RadeonPro one at a time until you can hold 30FPS. More importantly, you're just trying to see whether or not it has anything to do with the settings you're using in RadeonPro, or whether it is more an issue with the videocard itself.

Thank you for the response. I'll mess with RadeonPro when I get home from work. But again, I'm not confident that it's the problem since I have the exact same issue running the game straight out of Steam. Though it is likely that RadeonPro may have changed around some dipswitches or whichever in-game which could function independent of the program.

As for the resolution of the pictures, I made them half of the size of my actual game resolution out of fear of stretching the tables.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm suddenly very interested in trying to figure out what a good safe stopping point for Vigor is on a PvP build.

27 Vigor gets you 1000 HP. 50 Vigor gets you 1300 HP. That seems like a really small return on investment for 23 levels worth of Vigor to me, but it is worth about one straight sword/thrusting sword hit and that could make the difference. Stopping at 30-35 seems like even more of a waste--you're getting like 100 more HP total and that won't save you from anything, really. Maybe 40 is good.

I dunno. How much damage are UGS/great hammer/great axes doing in PvP these days? That might make a meaningful difference.

Im curious about this too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, you wouldn't have to be able to take enough damage for x number of full hits, being able to take 2 hits and then the third leaves you with a sliver is just the same as being able to take 3 full-damage hits. That's my only advice since I don't do PVP, but it is something you can "exploit" in PVE to save on leveling up your vigor if you know how much damage enemies do. Generally it doesn't matter in Lothric Castle and beyond though because enemies will do huge fuckoff damage no matter what you do.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Don't ask.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do buffs scale with the relevant stat?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
I've been PvP'ing a whole lot for the past two days or so outside Pontiff's room, wearing the painting guardian set and rocking a +4 Dark Knight Sword. Does the Dark Sword become more of a problem later on or something? Because I've really not had any issues fighting them at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Do buffs scale with the relevant stat?

Magic Weapon is flat and Blessed Weapon adds a flat 10%. All of the others scale.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, I finished it, cool game, best Souls, not as good as Bloodborne, Lord of Cinder was a puss I beat first go *hides totally empty estus flask behind back*

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Magic Weapon is flat and Blessed Weapon adds a flat 10%. All of the others scale.

Noice. Might have to break SL 90 and really pump pyro stats.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Genocyber posted:

Because CJacobs is an autistic dick.

Hey man could I ask you a favor....could you be careful about throwing that word around like slang? CJ being a dick or not?

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

CDW posted:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What's this talk about poise being useless? Did a patch change this or has it been since the start?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Every single thing about this is hilarious and amazing. Thank you DS3 thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

double nine posted:

What's this talk about poise being useless? Did a patch change this or has it been since the start?

The thread title is not a joke. Poise is literally turned off for players via a single Boolean.

e: well, the part of poise that would keep you from being staggered by enemies in heavy armor.

Someone post Poise.wmv

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

The thread title is not a joke. Poise is literally turned off for players via a single Boolean.

:vince:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

e: well, the part of poise that would keep you from being staggered by enemies in heavy armor.

Someone post Poise.wmv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yes

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Suddenly everything makes sense

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone want a weapon with innate lightning damage that can still be infused and buffed? Behold: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Dragonslayer's+Axe

Innate, non-scaling 180 lightning damage. Get base stats to wield, make it Raw (its physical damage should go up to like 200ish and its lightning damage stays at 180), use Lightning Blade and wear a Lightning Clutch Ring with 60 Faith. Enjoy a combined 680ish AR, with all but 200 or so being lightning. That's a lot of pure elemental damage. It's like a total reversal of the usual buff build.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Electric Lady posted:

Thank you for the response. I'll mess with RadeonPro when I get home from work. But again, I'm not confident that it's the problem since I have the exact same issue running the game straight out of Steam. Though it is likely that RadeonPro may have changed around some dipswitches or whichever in-game which could function independent of the program.

As for the resolution of the pictures, I made them half of the size of my actual game resolution out of fear of stretching the tables.

Check your driver control panel settings as well: make sure you didn't set your global texture filtering quality option to "Performance". Same for in RadeonPro, since it can have global level controls. You want it up there at "High", which is the default, not "Standard".-

CDW posted:

I basically agree with this sentiment, but I'm by no means "done". But for real... this game.

Something about the core design is fundamentally flawed. ANY time I try to get fancy and use heavy attacks (nevermind charged attacks) 2hand my weapon, or block, roll-counter, etc etc etc, I get punished. Move in and spam R1? Success.

What. The. gently caress.
It would be one thing if I was being punished for the R1 spam as well and I just had to "git gud", but that isn't even the case. It just makes more sense to play this like it's loving Skyrim.

PvP fairs a little better, but the simple facts of the matter are, R1 spam is incredibly difficult to punish. Roll spamming is almost impossible to punish without the fastest of weapons. The faster your weapon, both the harder it is for you to be punished, and the more able you are to punish roll spammers. Meanwhile, the perfect storm of speed, range and power is a thing, and the results are as expected. Just let the Estoc fight itself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I forgot to talk to Sirris right after meeting Anri and Horace. Then I killed the Crystal Sage and continued to Cathedral of the Deep and she's not in the Firelink Shrine.

Can I still do her questline? I assume I shouldn't do Abyss Walkers before meeting her since that seems to break everything else, but will she show up after Deacons of the Deep?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I forgot to talk to Sirris right after meeting Anri and Horace. Then I killed the Crystal Sage and continued to Cathedral of the Deep and she's not in the Firelink Shrine.

Can I still do her questline? I assume I shouldn't do Abyss Walkers before meeting her since that seems to break everything else, but will she show up after Deacons of the Deep?

You should be able to, yes. Did you get the Dreamchaser's Ashes from Farron Keep? That's the main trigger to get her to appear a second time.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kiggles posted:

PvP fairs a little better, but the simple facts of the matter are, R1 spam is incredibly difficult to punish. Roll spamming is almost impossible to punish without the fastest of weapons. The faster your weapon, both the harder it is for you to be punished, and the more able you are to punish roll spammers.

no.

if you use a heavy weapon with better reach you will laffo at people trying to spam short R1s all day long.

yeah keep swinging that stumpy sword over and over again imma keep chopping you from four feet away :shrug:

edit: if you want to spam R1 estoc vs R1 estoc then i guess that's a pretty intense way to pvp! but the estoc/longsword R1 is not a perfect defense with no counters.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Poise is not "turned off." It's just not Dark Souls 1 style Poise (somebody just found the vestiges of that system that was programmed but not implemented into Dark Souls 3).

Poise affects your hyper armor frames. It's more noticeable with some actions and weapons than others.

Here's a fun video with some demonstrations of it affecting rolling (and some good tips)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpQRlXJyPoA

I've noticed personally that stacking Poise allows me to follow through with attacks on my Exile Greatsword when hit earlier in the attack's active frames. It's most noticeable on rolling attacks and R1 trades with faster weapons.

Edit: I'm currently running about 30 Poise and have few problems with R1 spammers and Estocs. R1 spammers are extremely easy to parry, and using a heavy weapon + hornet ring means a parry results in instant death. I trade with Estocs all day - they get in a 300~600 damage poke depending on if they're buffstacked and using Leo Ring, I get an R1 L2 R2 combo that deals 800~1200 damage and finish them off with a running attack at the end of one of their panic rolls that inevitably follows.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 26, 2016

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Lore talk about the two dragons in the greater Lothric area that guard the gate.

When I killed one dragon, the other immediately died as well and I didn't get any souls. Thought that was weird and was miffed but whatever the gate was free. Then as I was exploring, I found a hollow with the eerie tentacle abyss dragons coming out of them, always near a dragons body. When killing them, I'd get a large amount of souls and the body of the dragon they were near would disappear and leave an item. I think they were chunks? I thought that was interesting as hell and gave some implications of what the squiggly messes could be.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Deckit posted:

Lore talk about the two dragons in the greater Lothric area that guard the gate.

always near a dragons body [...] gave some implications of what the squiggly messes could be.

Hmm, I never thought about that. Maybe those things are related.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is the deal with those oil snake monsters anyway? They remind me of something out of a Resident Evil game. Has the Umbrella corporation been experimenting on hollows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Bardeh posted:

The message said 'Bonfire?'

Is there a reason they're so close together?

I think it's due to changes to bonfires during development. There are seemingly useless shortcuts throughout the game, like the one that skips the Anor Londo archers, which you'll never use because there's a bonfire at the start of the next area. Bonfire placement is also inconsistent; Catacombs doesn't have a starting bonfire.