Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

I have my doubts that Gore wouldn't have also invaded.

i have my doubts that you aren't currently having a stroke

bush specifically had a really aggressive and simplistic foreign policy that even prior republicans could not match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Empress Theonora posted:

I can't believe everyone's already forgotten how bad the Bush Administration was.

It probably has to do with the garbage fire that is the current Republican party. From Sarah Palin's entrance to Donald Trump's ascension, they all make Bush look like a sane, well mannered gentleman in comparison.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was literally the "both parties are identical" Nader voter in 2000. Trust me, they aren't.

e: I don't live in FL so douse your torches.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Lol, make this case beyond "he would've become a neocon which is a word I just found out about and neocons can naught but invade Iraq"

Or maybe it has something to do with Clintons foreign policy being extremley interventionist, which Gore would have continued. ALong with the fact he chose an extreme interventionist to be a his VP. Look here I am not arguing Gore would have been the same as W. He jsut wouldn't have been different enough in the grand scheme of things.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

How about you actually read the conversation you're trying to look like an authority in.

I read the conversation and still don't see any successes that BLM can claim so, uh...

I mean I get y'all are trying to be the second coming of MLK but you're not doing too hot at it. To be fair MLK himself wasn't doing too well, shoot his assassination probably did more for the movement's success than he himself did while he was alive.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Or maybe it has something to do with Clintons foreign policy being extremley interventionist, which Gore would have continued. ALong with the fact he chose an extreme interventionist to be a his VP.

i too rememnber when clinton invaded iraq

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Crowsbeak posted:

I have my doubts that Gore wouldn't have also invaded. But Saint Gore was the opposite of W, in every way.

So you think Gore would also have appointed Nixon-era dirtbags to his cabinet/as his running mate, who well before 9/11 were openly and explicitly looking for an excuse, any excuse, to invade Iraq?

EDIT: changed "chickenhawks" to "dirtbags" since, despite being a loathsome person in just about every other way, Rumsfeld did serve in the Navy and so probably doesn't qualify, albeit only technically.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 26, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crowsbeak posted:

I have my doubts that Gore wouldn't have also invaded. But Saint Gore was the opposite of W, in every way.

:raise: The Bush White House's obsessive crusade against Iraq had not a lot to do with 911.

I expect he would have invaded the poo poo out of Afghanistan, and I am pretty much okay with that.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
It's also odd that people think Hillary Clinton will be just a carbon copy of her husband. She's already shown to be a shrewd operator in her own right.

Edit: Not sure why I went on this train of thought. I think it's Primary PTSD.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 26, 2016

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because they were conservatives voting for the more conservative of the two major candidates

Yeah that sounds like it's their fault to me

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not a big fan of Gore but it seems pretty unlikely he would have put together the same band of criminals that Cheney did and create all that phony evidence to get us into Iraq.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

So you think Gore would also have appointed Nixon-era chickenhawks to his cabinet/as his running mate, who well before 9/11 were openly and explicitly looking for an excuse, any excuse, to invade Iraq?

Well he did have a chicken hawk as his VP nom...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Amergin posted:

I read the conversation and still don't see any successes that BLM can claim so, uh...

You and yours try to pull this poo poo all the time and it never works on me, so give it up. I will not do your homework for you. If you couldn't be bothered to read the conversation the first time I'm not going to copy and paste it for you to ignore a second time. The point was not to get into a policy argument with A Literal Illiterate, it was to point out how unbelievably ignorant and lazy a guy like you can be and still think he's the voice of authority in the conversation. If you want to dispel that impression you give off all you need to do is shift yourself to be less loving ignorant.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

It's also odd that people think Hillary Clinton will be just a carbon copy of her husband. She's already shown to be a shrewd operator in her own right.

90's talk radio loved to imply that HRC was the evil witch pulling the strings of power in the WH.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Empress Theonora posted:

I can't believe everyone's already forgotten how bad the Bush Administration was.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

zoux posted:

90's talk radio loved to imply that HRC was the evil witch pulling the strings of power in the WH.

Right. Because Bill "literally a Rhodes scholar" Clinton was too much of a dope. I love that.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'd be much more supportive of my fellow whitey's when they get butthurt by BLM and the like if a portion of them would stop either assuming I'm Mexican or Middle Eastern and telling me to go back to where I belong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Talmonis posted:

I am open to the argument that if she has neither track record nor emphasis on a topic, her policies may resemble Bill's, if only because they're drawing from pretty much the same pool of subject matter experts.

On another note: Brontosaurus, you may not be aware but Amergin is straight up a gimmick troll. Although I guess that makes him a better choice of punching bag than eg Talmonis in some ways. Not least because audience members drawing comparisons between themselves and Amergin makes for a pretty horrifying epiphany :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

I was literally the "both parties are identical" Nader voter in 2000. Trust me, they aren't.

I liked that Gore brought that up during his speech at the convention in 2008. Sort of a throwaway line about the importance of elections but with a little more edge to it like an implied "Do you give more of a poo poo now than you did in 2000?"

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You and yours try to pull this poo poo all the time and it never works on me, so give it up. I will not do your homework for you. If you couldn't be bothered to read the conversation the first time I'm not going to copy and paste it for you to ignore a second time. The point was not to get into a policy argument with A Literal Illiterate, it was to point out how unbelievably ignorant and lazy a guy like you can be and still think he's the voice of authority in the conversation. If you want to dispel that impression you give off all you need to do is shift yourself to be less loving ignorant.

Right so you have no concrete examples of BLM successes to give. Okay then.

Also y'all seem to be very quick to point at white people and tell us "we don't have any life experience with racism so we don't know what we're talking about" while at the same time y'all seem to think you can predict white people's behavior and push them to push for change if you inconvenience them enough. Yes, I'm sure you poor black folks know JUST exactly what middle class white America is like and how to push their buttons so they go complain to politicians.

Which is funny to me because all you're doing is pushing those white people to bitch and moan on Facebook/Twitter, leading to other white folk commenting, leading to an anti-BLM echo chamber which... is not very helpful for your cause and may in fact be one of the reasons why you can't seem to give me an example of a concrete success attributable to BLM.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On another note: Brontosaurus, you may not be aware but Amergin is straight up a gimmick troll.

No, don't give away the game! I just made popcorn.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am open to the argument that if she has neither track record nor emphasis on a topic, her policies may resemble Bill's, if only because they're drawing from pretty much the same pool of subject matter experts.

On another note: Brontosaurus, you may not be aware but Amergin is straight up a gimmick troll. Although I guess that makes him a better choice of punching bag than eg Talmonis in some ways. Not least because audience members drawing comparisons between themselves and Amergin makes for a pretty horrifying epiphany :v:

Oh haha, since his posting is identical to Talmonis's I had no idea. Too bad Talmonis is too busy setting the world to rights to have epiphanies.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

citybeatnik posted:

I'd be much more supportive of my fellow whitey's when they get butthurt by BLM and the like if a portion of them would stop either assuming I'm Mexican or Middle Eastern and telling me to go back to where I belong.

#notallbutthurtwhiteys

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Unzip and Attack posted:

#notallbutthurtwhiteys

Death to whiteys. I know just enough Spanish to not be among the first against the wall.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

lol yeah same here - it's exactly the kind of thing teenagers say when they're trying to be cynical and world-weary but are instead just completely wrong

sure, the american democratic party is on a global scale a bunch of moderately conservative social centrists, but that doesn't stop the republicans from building a platform on literally medieval ideas that in other countries would get you laughed out of town if not outright jailed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

No, don't give away the game! I just made popcorn.

:negative: I apologize, it was probably just going to get funnier too.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

Death to whiteys. I know just enough Spanish to not be among the first against the wall.

"¡No dispares! ¡No dispares! Yo, uh, yo soy, uhm... gently caress... Hay un gato en mis pantalones...?"

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Amergin posted:

Right so you have no concrete examples of BLM successes to give. Okay then.

Also y'all seem to be very quick to point at white people and tell us "we don't have any life experience with racism so we don't know what we're talking about" while at the same time y'all seem to think you can predict white people's behavior and push them to push for change if you inconvenience them enough. Yes, I'm sure you poor black folks know JUST exactly what middle class white America is like and how to push their buttons so they go complain to politicians.

Which is funny to me because all you're doing is pushing those white people to bitch and moan on Facebook/Twitter, leading to other white folk commenting, leading to an anti-BLM echo chamber which... is not very helpful for your cause and may in fact be one of the reasons why you can't seem to give me an example of a concrete success attributable to BLM.

The finest example of concern trolling.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Amergin posted:

"¡No dispares! ¡No dispares! Yo, uh, yo soy, uhm... gently caress... Hay un gato en mis pantalones...?"

Mi aerodeslizador esta lleno de anguilas.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Posted by a Bernie supporter in a FB group I'm in :gonk:. Whoever described the alt-left as a mind virus is right...All it will take is a few more failed Presidential elections for the GOP to rebrand and snatch these people up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i dont get it, are they labeling those people as regressive or are they touting their own regressiveness as a virtue

because afaik we already have a word for regressive or alt left, blue dog dem

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

Something about a cat in your pants?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

bowser posted:

Posted by a Bernie supporter in a FB group I'm in :gonk:. Whoever described the alt-left as a mind virus is right...All it will take is a few more failed Presidential elections for the GOP to rebrand and snatch these people up.

I'm still struggling to understand where the "left" in "alt left" is supposed to come from.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

bowser posted:

After a few more it will be too late - the Obama agenda will be complete and a thousand years of darkness will descend.

Edit: Ptd, are you maligning Chet Edwards? :mad:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

botany posted:

I'm still struggling to understand where the "left" in "alt left" is supposed to come from.

Probably ecnomic.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Or maybe it has something to do with Clintons foreign policy being extremley interventionist, which Gore would have continued. ALong with the fact he chose an extreme interventionist to be a his VP. Look here I am not arguing Gore would have been the same as W. He jsut wouldn't have been different enough in the grand scheme of things.

I usually have to go to Reddit for takes this hot. Thanks for keeping it homegrown.

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What would President Al Gore's position be WRT BLM? and more importantly, how would he feel about several pages of lovely derails and slap fights?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dont get it, are they labeling those people as regressive or are they touting their own regressiveness as a virtue

because afaik we already have a word for regressive or alt left, blue dog dem

The "Regressive Left" is a thing now. I've seen Dave Rubin, formerly of the Young Turks, now of The Rubin Report, likes to jaw about it.

We're at that pivot point where some leftists feel like we've moved too far to the left and now need to co-opt right-wing talking points, I guess. See: the criticism of safe spaces, and all that stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regressive_left

quote:

The regressive left is a political epithet used to negatively characterize a section of leftists who are accused of holding politically regressive views (as opposed to progressive views) by tolerating illiberal principles and ideology for the sake of multiculturalism.[1][2]
Within the specific context of multiculturalism, British Muslim anti-Islamism activist Maajid Nawaz used the term in 2012 in his memoir Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism[note 1] to describe "well-meaning liberals and ideologically driven leftists" in the United Kingdom who naïvely and "ignorantly pandered to" Islamists and helped Islamist ideology to gain acceptance. In a 2015 video presentation on the Internet forum Big Think, Nawaz elaborated on the meaning of the term, saying that it describes "a section of the left" that has, in his opinion, "an inherent hesitation to challenge some of the bigotry that can occur within minority communities [...] for the sake of political correctness, for the sake of tolerating what they believe is other cultures and respecting different lifestyles".[4]

quote:

In late 2015, liberal talk show host Dave Rubin hosted discussions about the "regressive left" in many of The Rubin Report show segments.[24] He once said, "The reason I feel like naming them [the regressives] is so important, is because I now view these regressives as the left's version of the Tea Party. The Tea Party went unchecked by the right until it was too late, and now the Republican Party is a fractured mess often only held together by its worst beliefs. I really believe these regressives are doing this to the left, and if we don't have the courage to stop them, then a year or two from now, we'll wonder why our system is screwed up even more than it is now."[25] In a series of interviews, Rubin analyzed this concept and its implications with Peter Boghossian, and with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Maajid Nawaz,[9] Nick Cohen[26] and Douglas Murray.[27]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

The "Regressive Left" is a thing now. Dave Rubin, formerly of the Young Turks, now of The Rubin Report, likes to jaw about it.

We're at that pivot point where some leftists feel like we've moved too far to the left and now need to co-opt right-wing talking points, I guess. See: the criticism of safe spaces, and all that stuff.

uh so they're actually moderates? i dont see why this needs a new word to descibe a new thing, there's plenty of people who adopt a label until they realize it's not who they really are as they fully politically mature

seems like people blaming others for an entirely internal misidentification of the political self imo

• Locked thread