Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

10 Beers posted:

I'd throw in 30 Days of Night as well.

Really? That's the first good thing I've heard about that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Burkion posted:

the biggest mistake they could make would be what the first movie WANTED to do to the Ranger designs. Originally, in the first MMPR movie, the producers or whoever had the helmets remove the mouth plates and the visors so the actors face could be seen- which is a horrible idea and misses the point of being a Power Rangers adaptation. Plus it just looked lovely. Thankfully some one realized what a mistake they were making and they didn't do that. I think there are production photos that show what an awful look it was too.

So yeah. I'm reserving judgement until I see what they do with the Ranger suits. Because in a world where Batfleck exists and we have a purple and blue robot with a stupid jewel in the middle of his head fights along side Captain America and Iron Man, you can do justice to the Power Ranger designs.

Forget the purple and blue robot, they managed to make a loving talking anthropomorphic space raccoon and literal tree person look good/credible

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

that's because it's extremely bad

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Burkion posted:

I can tell you exactly what's wrong with the first movie design.

It's the 80s/90s action figure version of the design with gimmicked PULSING BRAIN ACTION because the original Lord Zedd was too scary for soccer moms.

So they intentionally dumbed it down. You'll notice they also removed his weird hosed up tubing that had all kinds of fluid flowing through out his body too.

But, it still LOOKS like Lord Zedd. A lovely For Kids version, which is hilarious considering the original Lord Zedd becomes Al Bundy a third of the way through his existence, but he looks like Lord Zedd.

If they pull the same thing they did with Rita and totally divorce their Lord Zedd from the original in terms of design, it would be the dumbest thing they could do because the original Lord Zedd's design is perfect for this kind of film.

The suit was limited due to being made on a kids budget and the first American one they ever made, but the concept and design is stellar. If they take away from that design- not stream line, not modernize- but literally take away, it would be the second biggest mistake they could make. If Lord Zedd is just some scarred dude with a normal face and stuff, that is a bad call.

the biggest mistake they could make would be what the first movie WANTED to do to the Ranger designs. Originally, in the first MMPR movie, the producers or whoever had the helmets remove the mouth plates and the visors so the actors face could be seen- which is a horrible idea and misses the point of being a Power Rangers adaptation. Plus it just looked lovely. Thankfully some one realized what a mistake they were making and they didn't do that. I think there are production photos that show what an awful look it was too.

So yeah. I'm reserving judgement until I see what they do with the Ranger suits. Because in a world where Batfleck exists and we have a purple and blue robot with a stupid jewel in the middle of his head fights along side Captain America and Iron Man, you can do justice to the Power Ranger designs.

lol "those fucken soccer moms ruined grimdark lord zedd"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

How dare they make the villain in something for literal children appealing to literal children.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol "those fucken soccer moms ruined grimdark lord zedd"

Do you know anything about the history of Power Rangers?

I never said Zedd was grimdark or any poo poo like that. Dude was a Power Ranger villain from day one- he was just more serious than Rita ever managed to start with. His design is loving great, and he had a great voice for a kids villain. Keep in mind this is all relative to Shredder, Megatron and Skeletor.

And then soccer moms complained that he was too scary and the writers made him act goofier and sillier and then married him off to Rita. Then in season 3 he became a sitcom dad who had to deal with his wife's relatives who called him Ed and then he had to live in a flying RV for a season.

The great thing about him is though, even after he stopped being treated totally serious, he was still fantastic as a villain. Like you want me to actually talk about how I like Power Rangers I will- goofy Lord Zedd is better than serious Lord Zedd any day of the week. Goofy Lord Zedd came up with the most convoluted plans to destroy the Power Rangers you've ever heard of, with any number of variations on time travel, turning Rangers evil, stealing their powers, making evil Rangers, and divide and conquer strats. Dude got so wrapped up in his own bullshit plans that he often threw the monster in as an after thought.

I think there was one arc where he managed to pull all of those things together into one plan.

For the movie, they matched the less serious personality with a way more 80s toy-ized version of his design which just looked worse in every way.

TetsuoTW posted:

How dare they make the villain in something for literal children appealing to literal children.

I know right I sure am glad my point isn't being wildly missed when I was talking impartially about how his design and character changed over time and not what my actual feelings were on the matter.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Burkion posted:

I can tell you exactly what's wrong with the first movie design.

It's the 80s/90s action figure version of the design with gimmicked PULSING BRAIN ACTION because the original Lord Zedd was too scary for soccer moms.

So they intentionally dumbed it down. You'll notice they also removed his weird hosed up tubing that had all kinds of fluid flowing through out his body too.

But, it still LOOKS like Lord Zedd. A lovely For Kids version, which is hilarious considering the original Lord Zedd becomes Al Bundy a third of the way through his existence, but he looks like Lord Zedd.

If they pull the same thing they did with Rita and totally divorce their Lord Zedd from the original in terms of design, it would be the dumbest thing they could do because the original Lord Zedd's design is perfect for this kind of film.

The suit was limited due to being made on a kids budget and the first American one they ever made, but the concept and design is stellar. If they take away from that design- not stream line, not modernize- but literally take away, it would be the second biggest mistake they could make. If Lord Zedd is just some scarred dude with a normal face and stuff, that is a bad call.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I really enjoyed 30 Days of Night when it was in theaters, I think it might have just been that seeing horror films with other people thing, a lot of the people I went with were really grossed out by the gore and such.
Watching it years later on DVD though, I was really disappointed with it, it's just kinda ugly and forgettable.

Still dig the spooky foreigner vampires at least.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's a lot of words about power rangers

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Well someone's angling for a new av.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

site posted:

Go.

Go, Power Rangers.

Just go.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

site posted:

I did/will be continuing a podcast on the show with two other goons for literally years. Podcasters with Attitude.

So yeah I have a lot of words about Power Rangers. It's silly and goofy and fun and I'm really worried the movie is going to miss that and is going to suck. But if it does, oh well. I'll live. I'm used to it sucking by now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I hope they get Bryan Cranston to voice one of the villains in the movie.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
[in extremely disgusted voice] A For Kids version of Lord Zedd from Power Rangers

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

I hope they get Bryan Cranston to voice one of the villains in the movie.

Zordon is just going to be clips of Cranston from Breaking Bad composited into that green tube thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

McSpanky posted:

Seems about the same to me?

Zedd is still the coolest villain in just about any kids show.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

10 Beers posted:

I'd throw in 30 Days of Night as well.

Flash Gordon also. He's just a man, with a man's courage.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I thought that Zedd and Rita's relationship was quite sweet when I was a kid :shobon:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HIJK posted:

I thought that Zedd and Rita's relationship was quite sweet when I was a kid :shobon:

It is. It's a great little plot line that pays off a lot.

Married Zedd is better than unmarried Zedd.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Max Landis ranted more about whitewashing in film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwDqbDp6SGc

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He has my little pony hair*

*I am aware that not all rainbows are my little pony

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

That's like the dumbest bullshit I ever heard in my life. I know Tibet is a hot topic but if they cared like that then they wouldn't have set a third of Age of Ultron in Seoul. Basically all of China, South Korea and SE Asia TURNED THE gently caress OUT for The Dark Knight just for Chin Han (Singapore). If the movie is already a juggernaut like MCU flicks and has a star people in a part of the world are familiar with they'll show up. I can't believe that guy managed to do the "but but but CHINA" bullshit and "whelp better to have no Asian character at all" at the same time.

You do realize that Tibet is a really, really loving touchy subject for the Chinese government, right? He really didn't pull that out of his rear end. Seoul and Singapore are part of Asia, but they also aren't massive international clusterfucks that the PRC has a deep hand in.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
To be fair it will have at least one Asian character: Wong, Dr. Strange's manservant who knows kung fu.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I seriously hope this rumor isn't true

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They are going to have to pay her so much.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sophie Turner's face in the X-Men trailer thumbnail on the same page reflects my reaction to this rumor.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, I don't think she's going to commit to a franchise again unless she can make it rain.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Admittedly, it's not great, but I like premise. And I like the main vampire dude.

I also haven't seen it since the theaters. No idea how it holds up.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 26, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

No god no please no

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

10 Beers posted:

Admittedly, it's not great, but I like premise. And I like the main vampire dude.

I also haven't seen it since the theaters. No idea how it holds up.

If you like it, I'd advise not rewatching it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It must be true if it's from the highly credible source ComicPlanetCultureLife

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I would assume if they're going to pay her enough to sign on then they'd have to make Danvers a pretty major character going forward, probably with her own movie to kick things off. Its not worth it to pay Lawrence like 20mil per movie to just be part of a big ensemble.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Basebf555 posted:

I would assume if they're going to pay her enough to sign on then they'd have to make Danvers a pretty major character going forward, probably with her own movie to kick things off. Its not worth it to pay Lawrence like 20mil per movie to just be part of a big ensemble.

Captain marvel is on the list for 2018 or something. The solo movie is what they're casting for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

Captain marvel is on the list for 2018 or something. The solo movie is what they're casting for.

According to the Marvel execs, she's also supposed to be the single most powerful hero in the Marvel movie-verse and lives on the cosmic side of things.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cythereal posted:

According to the Marvel execs, she's also supposed to be the single most powerful hero in the Marvel movie-verse and lives on the cosmic side of things.

From what I've read she's classed that way in the comics too (or at least in between Thor and Hulk) and she's in space a lot there, so it makes sense that they'd continue that in the MCU.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
That piece of "news" makes no sense. Why pay for a huge star when lower-profile actresses will do just as well? A female superhero will sell just as well as a male one will. Captain Marvel is pretty much unheard of to people like me, but so was Ant-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy. The latter made gigantic piles of cash and the former made very good bank.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wouldn't put it past them to want a bigger star for the role to anchor the universe since infinity war is gonna "change the status quo" with respect to the mcu and who the main characters will be until they reboot the og avengers with new actors.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Last two delegations for Valerian:

Luc Besson posted:

Arabic delegation!!!!!🚀

Luc Besson posted:

Last delegation:: Ukraine!!🚀

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

30 Days of Night was okay, the problem is that it could have been GREAT.

The bulk of the story of isolation and a town that is gradually being picked off by predators is the middle section; as people are hiding and getting more and more desperate and other, hiding neighbors are killed, increasing their fear. That is probably the best use of the material.

The movie kind of glosses over this really quickly, focusing more on the initial attack and the climax. If it was weighted and paced to be a more oppressive, slow type of horror, it could have been fantastic. It was really a missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I'm on my phone so I don't have a link but has anyone seen the latest civil war TV trailer? It's got Spiderman joking around with the dude who killed JFK. Best universe ever.

• Locked thread