Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

stinkles1112 posted:

My dudes did you not read my post

Brain in a Jar

Seriously go watch it play on MTGGoldfish

That's what prompted my asking. So dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

rabidsquid posted:

What's budget to you, so we have some kind of base line to start with

Eleven thousand dollars

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah you would say that, because you're a gigantic Johnny Raincloud all the drat time

:allears:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Injuryprone posted:

That's what prompted my asking. So dope.

Here's one that baaaarely exceeds the budget:

W/R Rally, Really
4 Expedition Envoy
2 Stoneforge Acolyte
4 Weapons Trainer
3 Zada's Commando
4 Kor Castigator
4 Firemantle Mage
3 Lantern Scout
2 Reckless Bushwhacker

2 Nahiri, the Harbinger

3 Lightning Axe
3 Fiery Temper
1 Avacyn's Judgment

4 Captain's Claws

4 Battlefield Forge
4 Ally Encampment
7 Plains
6 Mountain

Another just barely under $50

UR-Fastest
2 Zurgo Bellstriker
3 Insolent Neonate
2 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Elusive Spellfist
4 Stormchaser Mage

4 Slip Through Space
2 Expedite
4 Titan's Strength
2 Rush of Adrenaline

3 Tormenting Voice
2 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
2 Just the Wind

1 Fevered Visions

4 Shivan Reef
4 Highland Lake
10 Mountain
3 Island

I like madness ok

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 26, 2016

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
wotc has the sisue that individual employees are given a lot of free reign and there is basically no accountability. if you've been there long enough you're never getting fired

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

What play style is your favorite? Do you like smashing face in combat? Crazy combos? Controlling the game until you play your favorite finisher creature/card? All of the above and more are deck choices for you if you play pauper. If you play online you have way more chances to play but you should just convince more ppl to play paper pauper instead.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

born on a buy you posted:

wotc has the sisue that individual employees are given a lot of free reign and there is basically no accountability. if you've been there long enough you're never getting fired

wotc is like a textbook case of pioneer advantage, except it also applies to their old time employees too it seems like

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

PleasantDirge posted:

What play style is your favorite? Do you like smashing face in combat? Crazy combos? Controlling the game until you play your favorite finisher creature/card? All of the above and more are deck choices for you if you play pauper. If you play online you have way more chances to play but you should just convince more ppl to play paper pauper instead.

Yeah but if you are a person who wants to have fun at fnm pauper isn't a thing for 99% of people because stores barely run paper pauper events and they almost certainly aren't on Friday.

But yeah just throw together a cheap aggro deck that attacks with some kind of unique angle if possible and maybe get lucky. If you're having fun you've already won!!!!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mono-U Brains.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

It is hilarious to me that MaRo still thinks that complexity is the greatest threat to magic's long term success when it's obviously WotC's incompetence.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

ShadeofBlue posted:

It is hilarious to me that MaRo still thinks that complexity is the greatest threat to magic's long term success when it's obviously WotC's incompetence.

It's like they want their business to fail. Much like Games Workshop. I'm glad Hearthstone's such a huge success, it finally lit a fire under Wizard's rear end in regards to digital format. Especially with Hearthstone's announcement of 50million active users today.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Thisuck posted:

It's like they want their business to fail. Much like Games Workshop. I'm glad Hearthstone's such a huge success, it finally lit a fire under Wizard's rear end in regards to digital format. Especially with Hearthstone's announcement of 50million active users today.

C'thun anf Yoggs excellent adventure is a really good and fun set with a bunch of interesting poo poo going on.

Hearthstone is a cool and fun game.

Meanwhile I refuse to use the mtgo client for anything other than standard playtesting during beta.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 27, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
All you nerds should check out Spellweaver too, it just released on steam and it is pretty sweet, I like it a lot better than Hearthstone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just watched Enter the Battlefield... Wow was it bad and Patick Chapin is the biggest goober I've ever seen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wonder what Magic would look like if they could start over, as a lot of what we bitch about regarding stuff in and around the game (and stuff Wizards complains about) seem baked into the very fabric of Magic, or are at least so ingrained that no one at Wizards wants to change it.

Surely someone on the mothership has written this article before, right?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
mcmagic is right, the blue brain deck isn't good. you'll gon2-2 in your normal 4 round fnm if you're lucky

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It costs $2 to play 1 game of magic on mtgo.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I wonder what Magic would look like if they could start over, as a lot of what we bitch about regarding stuff in and around the game (and stuff Wizards complains about) seem baked into the very fabric of Magic, or are at least so ingrained that no one at Wizards wants to change it.

You'd probably get to something similar to Hex, which is kind of a garbage game too in a lot of ways in that the main problem is gonna be bad design and bad players forever.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

uPen posted:

You have to have prize support though!

Did you think these digital didn't cost us anything?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Telex posted:

You'd probably get to something similar to Hex, which is kind of a garbage game too in a lot of ways in that the main problem is gonna be bad design and bad players forever.

Which is a shame, because they had some solid ideas to start with.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

C-Euro posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/starting-over-2015-01-26

good luck have fun

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

Just watched Enter the Battlefield... Wow was it bad and Patick Chapin is the biggest goober I've ever seen.

As I watched it I was searching, in my mind, for what word it was that was right on the tip of my tongue every time Chapin was talking to the camera.

It was goober

Edit: seriously you guys go try Spellweaver, it's sweet. The design principles are similar to magic but they fixed the mana system in a really interesting way and reduced the variance pretty substantially

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

There is so much in there that is going to piss some people off.

I particularly like this one.

"Power-levelwise, you misjudged the power level for spells and creatures. You made the first much too high and the latter much too low. We spent over fifteen years just trying to get those two to the same level."

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

There is so much in there that is going to piss some people off.

I particularly like this one.

"Power-levelwise, you misjudged the power level for spells and creatures. You made the first much too high and the latter much too low. We spent over fifteen years just trying to get those two to the same level."

....And then spent another 5 going waaaaay past that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

uPen posted:

It costs nothing to play a game of Magic on MTGO actually

If all you want to do is play the game, you can play casual games for free as much as you want.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Anyone have weird/stupid pauper brews? I have soul sisters and izzet blitz built but i want something dumber for the CK pauper tournament.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I'm new to Magic. I don't have much of a base of cards and I'm feeling a bit limited playing with what I've picked up from sealed product. I play primarily kitchen table, have my first casual night at the store next week, and plan on graduating to FNM in a couple of months.

Vendors on MagicCardMarket.eu are selling a single set of commons/uncommons for around £1.20/£3 for SoI, and £0.70/£1 for everything else in Standard. A full set of four of every common and uncommon in Standard would set me back around £60 delivered with storage boxes. For price context, that's 18 boosters. Just the commons delivered with storage boxes would run £26 delivered, which is 7-8 boosters.

Is this incredible value in my position or am I about to fall into a trap and pay a huge premium for buying everything at once? The plan would be to netdeck from Pauper/Peasant formats in Standard or even use decks that did well in Limited tournaments and use that as a starting point to gitbetter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Somehow I knew that, if such an article existed, it would be written by MaRo.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Judd Stackington posted:

I'm new to Magic. I don't have much of a base of cards and I'm feeling a bit limited playing with what I've picked up from sealed product. I play primarily kitchen table, have my first casual night at the store next week, and plan on graduating to FNM in a couple of months.

Vendors on MagicCardMarket.eu are selling a single set of commons/uncommons for around £1.20/£3 for SoI, and £0.70/£1 for everything else in Standard. A full set of four of every common and uncommon in Standard would set me back around £60 delivered with storage boxes. For price context, that's 18 boosters. Just the commons delivered with storage boxes would run £26 delivered, which is 7-8 boosters.

Is this incredible value in my position or am I about to fall into a trap and pay a huge premium for buying everything at once? The plan would be to netdeck from Pauper/Peasant formats in Standard or even use decks that did well in Limited tournaments and use that as a starting point to gitbetter.

Unless you highly value [the ability to swap decks immediately] vs [ordering singles after deciding on a decklist], it's better to order singles as needed.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

rabidsquid posted:

What's budget to you, so we have some kind of base line to start with

I only have $11,000 to work with.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

clamiam45 posted:

I only have $11,000 to work with.

Have I got a foiled out vintage deck for you

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ShaneB posted:

Too soon.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ShaneB posted:

For 11k no you don't.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/vintage-uwr-mentor-25516#paper

17k for the poo poo tier uwr mentor deck w/o a single foil or beta thing

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Christ, the prices for Power and duals have shot through the roof.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Fortunately for all of us ETERNAL MASTERS is right around the corner! Finally, the opportunity to break into eternal formats that I've been waiting for!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

stinkles1112 posted:

Fortunately for all of us ETERNAL MASTERS is right around the corner! Finally, the opportunity to break into eternal formats that I've been waiting for!

:smith:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

On further consideration, $4,000ish doesn't seem too insane for a Lotus.

It's $2,000 for a Mox or an Ancestral that seems super high.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Anyone have weird/stupid pauper brews? I have soul sisters and izzet blitz built but i want something dumber for the CK pauper tournament.

The dumbest deck in pauper history is dead dog, and it's not good, and people have wanted it to be good for like six years.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

rabidsquid posted:

The dumbest deck in pauper history is dead dog, and it's not good, and people have wanted it to be good for like six years.

List? I need a bad deck to play in this same event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

It's not really a "brew" in that it is a known-quantity at this point but this is probably the coolest deck in pauper

Cactrot posted:

List? I need a bad deck to play in this same event.

it's an insanely bad deck that tries to get value out of tortured existence, wild mongrel, and putrid imp. it's not actually that interesting, the joke is you discard creatures for value then get them back

• Locked thread