Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

the first Warcraft movie has to get the first game's setup out of the way so we can get Warcraft 2: Cool Pirate Fantasy poo poo, which is the movie everyone really wants im sure

Not after the last PotC movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We didn't really get a big wave of fun, cool pirate movies after the PotC money train. People tried to ape the wacky characters rather than the setting.

I'd be up for a fun cool pirate Warcraft movie.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

FutonForensic posted:

I'd be more receptive to this film if it was done in the style of Bakshi's Fire & Ice. Hell, it's pretty much the Warcraft movie already:

Any movie is better with lots of rear end and homoerotic wizards.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The next expansion has demonic drop ships and star destroyers. The first boss in Ulduar was a massive tank (with players driving tanks and motorbikes), the second was a giant robot, and a later one was a group of robots that formed one big robot. One boss in the Siege of Orgimmar was a massive scorpion robot. Netherstorm has domed cities with shield generators. The Allliance has a fleet of helicarriers, some with nukes.

There's plenty of high tech fantasy stuff in WoW.

Also the world was created by a bunch of robots, like half the races in the game are descended from robots, and everyone constantly fires guns and at each other

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Alternate theory: people like things you don't and people like things you don't think they should and it's really simple and not some weird conspiracy theory of people faking it.

Nor did he claim people are faking it? Or that there's a conspiracy.

It's pretty normal human behavior though to try and justify to yourself why ALL parts of thing you like must be good, rather than just <thing that actually interests you> because identifying with the media you consume is a thing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

mr. stefan posted:

MGSV actually gets insanely creative in its cutscenes and uses the 'camera' in ways that a live action film could never replicate without extensive CGI, with extensive oners and settings morphing from one to another seamlessly to depict this insane, cyberpunk war hellscape

MGSV sucks balls. The game is so boring and the story is dumb as poo poo too. The bad guy trained viruses to only kill people who speak English. He actually wanted to kill everyone who spoke words to KILL LANGUAGE! What would the world be like with out language?

Not to mention but snake basically never loving talks in the game. The entire story it told through the radio on the helicopter while it is landing. Everyone must hate snake too, if they do want to talk to him they make a cassette tape snake can listen to them while inside the helicopter up in the clouds somewhere. Its like gently caress that guy who is the leader he has to be away when he listens to that recorded message I left him.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 27, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

MGSV sucks balls. The game is so boring and the story is dumb as poo poo too. The bad guy trained viruses to only kill people who speak English. He actually wanted to kill everyone who spoke words to KILL LANGUAGE! What would the world be like with out language?

Not to mention but snake basically never loving talks in the game. The entire story it told through the radio on the helicopter while it is landing. Everyone must hate snake too, if they do want to talk to him they make a cassette tape snake can listen to them while inside the helicopter up in the clouds somewhere. Its like gently caress that guy who is the leader he has to be away when he listens to that recorded message I left him.

MGSV's story is actually very good. Skull Face's plan is to eliminate the English language by altering and spreading a designer parasite capable of killing someone who speaks the language. It's a precursor to FOXDIE. His plan wasn't to create a world without language, but to create a world without the English language because he doesn't like its globalizing effect.

There is also a pretty big reason why Snake barely talks in MGSV, and it's clear you quit before you reached the end of the game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nor did he claim people are faking it? Or that there's a conspiracy.

Conspiracy might be the wrong word, but there's definitely an wrong-headed, overly complex attempt to frame people liking Blizzard's stories in a way that justifies their personal opinion on Blizzard's stories, rather than the simple answer that people like and enjoy Blizzard's stories, and there's obviously and clearly a market for that likes their stuff. It has to be marketing, or poor taste, or the Illuminati, or subliminal advertising.

That video game you sperg out about, try and play better each time? There are people out there that only slog through that stuff for the story bits in-between.

It's no different than the ever-common post in the Trek threads of some goon talking to his friend/parent/whatever telling them they don't like DS9 and liked Voyager and being shocked that the Internet Opinion can and often is backwardly wrong compared to the broader audience.

A bit of a reminder, according to the Internet, a really bad RPG featuring an amnesiac corpse who can't die accompanied by a wacky floating skull, a game people have broken noses falling asleep from playing, has good writing.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

A bit of a reminder, according to the Internet, a really bad RPG featuring an amnesiac corpse who can't die accompanied by a wacky floating skull, a game people have broken noses falling asleep from playing, has good writing.

To be fair, it seems like you need a quick reminder that you are MisterBibs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DS9 had better viewer figures than Voyager. No one seems to rank Enterprise as good but it's last season had inexplicably good figures.

MisterBibs posted:

Woah wrong opinions ITT

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Woah wrong opinions ITT

On December 12, 1999, a witch asked people what could change the nature of a man.

In June of the next year, a game asked us to click on witches (and demons, and whatever) until they were dead, in between cinematics about a dude who shoved a demon crystal in his head.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To be fair, it seems like you need a quick reminder that you are MisterBibs.

Someone's gotta be the lovely half of the yin-yang

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Conspiracy might be the wrong word, but there's definitely an wrong-headed, overly complex attempt to frame people liking Blizzard's stories in a way that justifies their personal opinion on Blizzard's stories, rather than the simple answer that people like and enjoy Blizzard's stories, and there's obviously and clearly a market for that likes their stuff. It has to be marketing, or poor taste, or the Illuminati, or subliminal advertising.
You clearly have a creative streak as this bears no likeness to anything that I posted. Do you disagree that someone can love a setting independent of whether the story is lovely?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Paolomania posted:

Do you disagree that someone can love a setting independent of whether the story is lovely?

I think such an explanation for why people like Blizzard's stories is a laughable one, and an attempt to frame the obvious (that people like Blizzard's stories) in a way that meshes with one's own personal opinion (Blizzard's stories are bad, so clearly they only like the setting!).

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I think such an explanation for why people like Blizzard's stories is a laughable one, and an attempt to frame the obvious (that people like Blizzard's stories) in a way that meshes with one's own personal opinion (Blizzard's stories are bad, so clearly they only like the setting!).
It is not an attempt at any such explanation as I do not think that it is obvious that people like Blizzard's stories. My whole line of argument is to offer reasons people might find Blizzard games appealing other than the stories. I have already identified what I believe the most important: the interaction that constitutes that vast majority of game time i.e. the gameplay. Setting is another. Visual aesthetics might be another. Others in this thread have mentioned self-constructed narrative. A game can be a runaway success totally independent a pre-written narrative, especially when you de-bias for "AAA" games that make up an increasingly shrinking share of the market. Do you think people really care about some overarching story in Blizzard's latest hit, Hearthstone, or are they just enjoying a competitive online CCG with solid production values?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Backing up a step, my general point is still that adapting the narratives of popular game properties for movies often fails because good narrative is seldom why a game is a success. See: everything from Mario Bros to DOOM. I have no explanation for Resident Evil.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Paolomania posted:

It is not an attempt at any such explanation as I do not think that it is obvious that people like Blizzard's stories.

As myself (and others) have pointed out, there's an entire sub-industry devoted to books/comics/whatever about the stories of Blizzard's games. The cinematics for one of their flagship properties are released early. People jumping ship from an RTS after it transitions to a form without story beats.

For anyone reasonable, the question if people enjoy Blizzard game stories has been resolved unequivocally. Of course there are people who do, and that they exist enough for the relevant company to invest in them.

Paolomania posted:

Setting is another. Visual aesthetics might be another. Others in this thread have mentioned self-constructed narrative.

Artificial, arbitrary, and inherently dismissable distinctions to ignore an undeniable truth: people like Blizzard's stories because they like them.

Paolomania posted:

Do you think people really care about some overarching story in Blizzard's latest hit, Hearthstone, or are they just enjoying a competitive online CCG with solid production values?

Nobody would be playing Hearthstone without the stories that Blizzard has created.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Resident Evil creates its own narrative around the game in service of Mila Jovovich kicking and shooting monsters in ways that will arouse Paul WS Anderson.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Paolomania posted:

Backing up a step, my general point is still that adapting the narratives of popular game properties for movies often fails because good narrative is seldom why a game is a success. See: everything from Mario Bros

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Detective No. 27 posted:

MGSV's story is actually very good. Skull Face's plan is to eliminate the English language by altering and spreading a designer parasite capable of killing someone who speaks the language. It's a precursor to FOXDIE. His plan wasn't to create a world without language, but to create a world without the English language because he doesn't like its globalizing effect.

There is also a pretty big reason why Snake barely talks in MGSV, and it's clear you quit before you reached the end of the game.

Did he have plans to also target Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Spanish, Japanese, and Russian once one of these inevitably replaces English? Perhaps the plot is bad?

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 27, 2016

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I hope Kojima finally gets a chance to write/direct a movie at some point, so the world realizes that he's a laughably atrocious storyteller.
If you put any 10 minute stretch of dialogue from one of his games in a movie it would get laughed out of theaters and he'd never work again.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

But if you put it into a high production TV show on say HBO it'd be winning awards from here to the moon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kiefer Sutherland was expensive. That's the reason.

Similarly, Quiet isn't saucily dressed because she breathes through her skin, it's because she has nice boobies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

bullet3 posted:

I hope Kojima finally gets a chance to write/direct a movie at some point, so the world realizes that he's a laughably atrocious storyteller.
If you put any 10 minute stretch of dialogue from one of his games in a movie it would get laughed out of theaters and he'd never work again.

That's because he makes video games, not movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Did he have plans to also target Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Spanish, Japanese, and Russian once one of these inevitably replaces English? Perhaps the plot is bad?

Yeah, that one made me scratch my head. A guy building a doomsday device to kill all langue sounds weird and fascinating (and dumb), a guy building one to eliminate a specific language because it is spoken by many capitalists is just dumb. Capitalists can learn other languages.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

bullet3 posted:

In a world where the Walking Dead can obtain the success it currently has, anything Kojima would create would be considered pure gold.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The whole draw to MGS games is that they're stupid as gently caress. Repeating plot details to other people doesn't really withstand a laugh test.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
Of course people buy and like the Warcraft novels. There are legions of people who love the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books too. There's a market for lovely Tolkien written at a 5th grade level, even though Tolkien isn't a tough read outside of sheer volume, just like there's a market for bad Steven King wannabes like Dean Kootz.

A lot of the market for books is people who think of reading as difficult and intimidating, and just want something easy to read and fun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Batham posted:

In a world where the Walking Dead can obtain the success it currently has, anything Kojima would create would be considered pure gold.

Walking Dead is quite cerebral and interesting compared to network TV stuff like Blacklist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Walking Dead is quite cerebral and interesting compared to network TV stuff like Blacklist.

I would say the opposite, Walking Dead makes Blacklist look like Colombo.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The only thing I have to say about all this is that The Blacklist is a good show and James Spader should have been cast as Gul'dan

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would say the opposite, Walking Dead makes Blacklist look like Colombo.

Perhaps I've missed some interesting developments on Walking Dead after tuning out after the governor's demise (not out of disgust, I just find Walking Dead draining to watch).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's probably the most inept melodrama I've ever seen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hodgepodge posted:

Of course people buy and like the Warcraft novels. There are legions of people who love the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books too. There's a market for lovely Tolkien written at a 5th grade level, even though Tolkien isn't a tough read outside of sheer volume, just like there's a market for bad Steven King wannabes like Dean Kootz.

A lot of the market for books is people who think of reading as difficult and intimidating, and just want something easy to read and fun.

Also sometimes people like books written at a 5th grade level because they are in 5th grade.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

It's possible to enjoy both. I like great cinema, but I also enjoy B-movie schlock. I can appreciate fine cuisine, but sometimes in the mood for junk food. There's nothing wrong with occasionally indulging in a cheap paperback.

That said, I only ever read one Warcraft novel and it was awful. :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bullet3 posted:

I heard he had a guy that helped him with MGS 1-3 then left for MGS4 even though it turned out awesome.

MGSV just plays like a like lovely PSP games and the story was really not needed. Revengance is my true sequel to MGS4.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The whole draw to MGS games is that they're stupid as gently caress. Repeating plot details to other people doesn't really withstand a laugh test.

MGS 1-4 were pretty drat good games and good plots.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Just because a villain's plan is not 100% solid does not mean the plot is bad. It might be, but there could be perfectly understandable reasons for why the plan is not perfect, like the villain being a human being.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, that one made me scratch my head. A guy building a doomsday device to kill all langue sounds weird and fascinating (and dumb), a guy building one to eliminate a specific language because it is spoken by many capitalists is just dumb. Capitalists can learn other languages.
Targeting English makes a whole lot more sense when you consider that he was working against an organization about to use the dominance of English in global affairs to basically achieve world domination behind the scenes. It would be perfectly reasonable in that case to focus on taking out the immediate threat, and worry about the rest for later. We're not just talking about "Capitalist America is massively influential in the world, let's destroy English so that's no longer true." but "Capitalist America is about to be leveraged into near invisible world domination by a secret organization, let's destroy the backbone of that project, the English language." Plus of course the guy in question has personal reasons too for wanting to end English, which probably help paper over any doubts in his mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying MGS's plot is 100% sensible or well thought-out, but you have to at least accept the premise of a story rather than calling a plan dumb because it doesn't make sense if applied to the real world, rather than a world of AI overlords who erase letters from the alphabet.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tenzarin posted:

I heard he had a guy that helped him with MGS 1-3 then left for MGS4 even though it turned out awesome.

MGSV just plays like a like lovely PSP games and the story was really not needed. Revengance is my true sequel to MGS4.

MGS 1-4 were pretty drat good games and good plots.

Really? I thought MGS IV was a disaster. Nonsensical plot (not in the good MGS2 way) and a bunch of interesting mechanics that were each onscreen for about five minutes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MGS4 is a wonderful, terrible game. And not in a 'so bad it's good' way. It is both the worst and best of games simultaneously and it deserves a place in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I got annoyed by the guard AI in mgs1 and put it down after a couple hours. Then this year I visited my friend and he had the mgs in Afghanistan and I ran around like Rambo with a rocket fist and chopper support, it redeemed the series name for me.
So they should make a movie of that, with the chopper playing Bowie songs like my friend had set up.

• Locked thread