Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Waci posted:

Slothasor, maybe

Uhmm excuse me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Thought about getting back into this with the recent patch news, but $50 is still a tough ask for an expansion that I'm not particularly enthused for. Has the expansion gone on sale in the past, and for how much? I'd rather just wait if I can get it for like $30-35 in awhile.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lonk posted:

Jesus.

You're so stealthy in wvw now

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Thanks to Schpyder for running the HP train tonight!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Character API back up FYI. Now I can find out what mats I need for Zojja's Claymore and which ones I already have.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

I kinda wish I could change my name to She Wants The Sunny D

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Hey I played this game back when there were Henchmen and no numeral at the end. Then they added a 2 and took out the henchmen and I stopped. is it good now?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Hey I played this game back when there were Henchmen and no numeral at the end. Then they added a 2 and took out the henchmen and I stopped. is it good now?

Core game is free, try it yourself.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Lonk posted:

Change your name to The Sun Man Of SFD.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vargs posted:

Thought about getting back into this with the recent patch news, but $50 is still a tough ask for an expansion that I'm not particularly enthused for. Has the expansion gone on sale in the past, and for how much? I'd rather just wait if I can get it for like $30-35 in awhile.

I doubt it gets discounted frequently by anet. You can get it for $40 from dlgamer (legit site, just be prepared to do a bunch of auth since its french, took me email/sms confirmation then it went through).

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy hell Lonk. Cletus should use you as bait somehow. I don't know how, but you can see that rear end from way too far away.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Lonk posted:

Is it a 19 character limit? Cause 'She Want Da Sunny D' is 19 characters.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Is there any guide for idiots like me to get huntsman from 400-500? I've heard the gw2crafts sucks at gold efficiency calculations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

knowonecanknow posted:

I've heard the gw2crafts sucks at gold efficiency calculations.

Uh, it does?! I thought it was literally mathematically the most efficient in terms of gold spending.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Thanks to Schpyder for running the HP train tonight!

YES! Thanks to Schpyder for running it herding cats and thanks to everyone else for helping lay the beat-down on challenges. This was legitimately the first time I've entered Tangled Depths and not come out hating myself less than an hour later.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

knowonecanknow posted:

Is there any guide for idiots like me to get huntsman from 400-500? I've heard the gw2crafts sucks at gold efficiency calculations.

Just supplement the guide when moving up to 450, then 500. At 400 turn all that Orichalcum/Ancient Wood/Hard Leather you've saved and refine them, and any Maintenance Oil you would have made/sold anyways, then round it out with the guide to 450. At 450 make your Ascended Bloodstone/Dragonite/Empyrial and daily Ectoplasm conversion until you are actually ready to craft something at 500. Follow the guide even if your level is ahead i.e. If you are level 476 but haven't finished the 450 recipes listed, just keep doing them, they are all the same but cheaper.

Be sure to do this all on Thursday/Friday evening so you get the WvW crafting crit bonus, and grab the Guild Hall buff too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah you can save a solid chunk of money just refining your own T6 mats on a 400 crafting character and doing your daily T7 precursor crafting on a 450 crafting character. You can easily halve the cost of hitting 500 if you're patient and do things the slow, cheap way, and later on you'll be glad to have all of those Lumps of Mithrillium and such stashed away.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, it does?! I thought it was literally mathematically the most efficient in terms of gold spending.

The site doesn't take into account sell values when creating its lists, meaning it will pick a cheaper-to-make item (possibly with a poo poo sell price) over an expensive-to-make item that can turn a profit when sold. You can't really blame the site for doing this because taking profit/loss/sell values into account when making the list would require an absolutely hideous amount of calculation.

Still, it's usually fine up to around 400 or 425. After that, though, you may be better off doing some math and using timegate materials intelligently to save gold.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

The site doesn't take into account sell values when creating its lists, meaning it will pick a cheaper-to-make item (possibly with a poo poo sell price) over an expensive-to-make item that can turn a profit when sold. You can't really blame the site for doing this because taking profit/loss/sell values into account when making the list would require an absolutely hideous amount of calculation.

Still, it's usually fine up to around 400 or 425. After that, though, you may be better off doing some math and using timegate materials intelligently to save gold.

Ahhhhh got it. I have to level artificer to 500 sometime soon so good to know.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alright now that I'm almost level 20 I have some questions.

Is crafting worthwhile to focus on while leveling, or should I save this for endgame?

Am I missing out by not PvPing while I level? I'm such an explorer and completionist that I'm having fun 100%ing the PvE zones. However I know that PvP is pretty big in this game...

Anything from the gem store that is normally recommended for everyone, like a really big bag or something?

Should I be selling stuff my character can't use on the market or just vendor them?

And finally, am I gimping my leveling by constantly being in an area -6 levels give or take?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you can 100% ignore pvp if you want. you can 100% ignore pve if you want. do what feels fun, you'll level just as well.

crafting is kinda pointless for low level characters, so just save up materials for way later.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The copper fed salvaging tool is the most useful gem store item

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Droid Washington posted:

Is crafting worthwhile to focus on while leveling, or should I save this for endgame?

Am I missing out by not PvPing while I level? I'm such an explorer and completionist that I'm having fun 100%ing the PvE zones. However I know that PvP is pretty big in this game...

Anything from the gem store that is normally recommended for everyone, like a really big bag or something?

Should I be selling stuff my character can't use on the market or just vendor them?

And finally, am I gimping my leveling by constantly being in an area -6 levels give or take?

Unless you want to craft legendary or ascended stuff (completely unnecessary) don't craft at all

PvP offers nothing you need

This game's strength is that you don't need anything from the gemstore, but having a shared character slot (one is now free w/ heart of thorns) and an copper-fed salvage kit will save you a lot of inventory hassle

Salvage any equipment you don't plan on using, sell any crafting materials on the trading post (unless they are sold at vendor cost), consume all essences of luck, only vendor trash and sigils/runes (unless they are some of the valuable superior sigils/runes)

Experience, like your level and some drops, scales

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gw2 is, if nothing else, really good at letting you do whatever you want to do to get rewarded, so don't feel like you 'have' to do something.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Droid Washington posted:

Crafting - your choice, but it's usually an endgame thing

PvP - your choice, you will gain levels and XP either way.

Gem Store - If you are spending cash, go for the Copper Fed Salvage-o-Matic or the Watchwork Mining Pick. If you are converting Gold to Gems, wait until endgame.

Selling vs Vendoring - Depends on what it is, if you can get appreciable silvers for low level gear sell it, otherwise Salvage it, Deposit Materials.

Levelling in low level zones - 100% you are A O K. This game was brilliantly designed to let you do what you want however you want when levelling (except obviously accessing high level content too soon). Everything scales appropriately, so keep doing what you enjoy!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

Like others have said, one of the coolest things about this game is that you're actually not outlevelling zones as you go, you're scaled back to a level appropriate for that area so you're still benefitting! Go hog wild and literally play how you want :)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you get rewarded quite a bit if you 100% complete the map, so if you have fun with that then it's a totally valid approach to playing.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

DonVincenzo posted:

Uhmm excuse me:

That guy actually did something and walked around and poo poo, though???

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sweet thanks guys, gonna enjoy this game. :cheers:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So if I focus on the HoT weapon collections, I will be able to get almost all the necessary ascended weapons for my PS zerker, dragonhunter, viper necro and viper druid. I will only be missing sword (maybe), shortbow and whatever the off hand for a viper necro is.

I'll be running all my alts through HoT in order to get viper and leystone boxes. Viper boxes for my ranger's gear, and leystone boxes for the collection with an ascended piece. Also I'll finish the drat luminescent collection for a third piece. I'll still need like 3 pieces of ascended light armor, but I can figure it out.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Unless all you do is WvW. You get nuthin.
.... :downs:

Orv
May 4, 2011

treizebee posted:

Unless all you do is WvW. You get nuthin.
.... :downs:

You get Yakslapper, and what more could you need.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Crafting to 500, the "cheap" way.

1) Refine all t6 wood, metal and leathers. This should take you to 425. Don't stop doing this until you can no longer gain XP.
2) Make craft-specific backpacks.
3) At 450, turn dust/shards/ore into bricks/stars/ingots
4) You should be at, or close to, 500.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Crafting to 500, the "cheap" way.

1) Refine all t6 wood, metal and leathers. This should take you to 425. Don't stop doing this until you can no longer gain XP.
2) Make craft-specific backpacks.
3) At 450, turn dust/shards/ore into bricks/stars/ingots
4) You should be at, or close to, 500.

I still need huntsman and articifer, so I think I'll start doing this.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Who likes esportz drama??

PVP drama posted:

Car Crashed fielded an ineligible player during their April 18, 2016 Pro League matches against The Civilized Gentlemen. According to our logs, the person playing as “Sam” was not the owner of the account, but was instead “Frostball”, a member of Vermillion. This violates rules set forth in the ESL Guild Wars 2 Pro League Rulebook as well as the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement. Frostball and all Car Crashed members that played on April 18 will be banned from ArenaNet-sponsored competitive events effective today through the end of the 2016 season, at which point each individual’s eligibility will be revisited.

All match-ups against Car Crashed will be changed to a 2-0 score in favor of the opposing team for weeks 1 through 7.

Joshua Davis posted:

I can't get into the specifics, unfortunately.

That said, planning a scheme such as this entirely through in-game chat is generally not advised. :)

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Droid Washington posted:

Sweet thanks guys, gonna enjoy this game. :cheers:

Are you in a goon guild? Goon guilds are very friendly and helpful for when you have more questions. Check the OP for info.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

AnacondaHL posted:

Yeah, wow. Doing this in game is kinda super loving stupid.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Are GW2 esportszsz even worth that level of trouble?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Orv posted:

Are GW2 esportszsz even worth that level of trouble?

Apparently not even enough to get like a Discord or Skype or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
There are like 2 good teams at any given point in time so cheating is probably a reasonable way to blow through a tournament and win some cash as opposed to games that have a more competitive playing field.

• Locked thread