Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

M_Gargantua posted:

E; in response to tonight's "And Now This:" my family had been sarcasticly calling it 'tar-zhay' for the entirety of my living memory. And I thought we were he only people who called it that.

The people where I used to live in Florida always called the Target in mansion-filled Ponte Vedra 'Tar-zhay'; every other Target was just Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

zVxTeflon posted:

That Hamilton thing sounds dumb as all gently caress is it really that popular?

I had no interest in Broadway musicals before, but I've been obsessed with that play for months. It's really, really good. Also, from interviews and stuff, Lin-Manuel Miranda seems like a really nice guy.

But I get where you are coming from. When they had a piece on Miranda/Hamilton in the New Yorker early last year, I did not read it initially, because I thought the idea sounded dumb. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/09/hamiltons

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 26, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

xeria posted:

The people where I used to live in Florida always called the Target in mansion-filled Ponte Vedra 'Tar-zhay'; every other Target was just Target.

Jokes on them, that Target is actually in Jax Beach. Ponte Vedra is too classy for gouche things like red signs. Dunkin Donuts had to fight for a couple years just to be able to use their usual sign, because the colors were just not allowed on signs.

The only time I've ever heard anyone say Tar-zhay until this episode was some lady in a Target that I didn't know.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
That Puerto Rico song was incredible, I can't believe y'all sometimes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

M_Gargantua posted:

I hope Oliver gets to go over UK political buggery in a piece sometime soon so he can cite this as one more example.

E; in response to tonight's "And Now This:" my family had been sarcasticly calling it 'tar-zhay' for the entirety of my living memory. And I thought we were he only people who called it that.

Freezepop refers to Target like that in Super Sprøde

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you live under a rock in the middle of Alaska?

I just heard about Hamiltom on Monday as well when I watched John Oliver. No I don't live under a rock but I don't listen to radio (only Spotify) or watch real TV (only Netflix) or read news papers (only follow some news blogs). Also I don't live in the US. I listened to it on Spotify today though and it was ok but if you'd told me it won a ton of awards I'd wonder why but I don't know a thing about what makes a musical worth $1000+ to watch once so maybe I'm not the target audience.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just heard about Hamiltom on Monday as well when I watched John Oliver. No I don't live under a rock but I don't listen to radio (only Spotify) or watch real TV (only Netflix) or read news papers (only follow some news blogs). Also I don't live in the US. I listened to it on Spotify today though and it was ok but if you'd told me it won a ton of awards I'd wonder why but I don't know a thing about what makes a musical worth $1000+ to watch once so maybe I'm not the target audience.
I don't listen to radio or Spotify and I don't even have real TV service.

However, you not living in the US explains everything.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't listen to radio or Spotify and I don't even have real TV service.

However, you not living in the US explains everything.

I live in the US, watch lots of regular TV, still hadn't heard about Hamilton until Sunday, and none of the snippets I heard on the show encouraged me to go look up more about it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
As a history nerd I always had more sympathies for the Federalists than the Democratic Republicans; so a sympathetic portrayal of Alexander Hamilton was long overdue. It went beyond a simple national rehabilitation of AH and became a full-blown phenomenon, well beyond my wildest dreams.

Also, I'm glad that musical forced the Treasury Dept's hand and made them demote Andrew Jackson's prestige.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Azhais posted:

I live in the US, watch lots of regular TV, still hadn't heard about Hamilton until Sunday, and none of the snippets I heard on the show encouraged me to go look up more about it.
Well then you sir are an uncultured heathen :colbert:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't know a thing about what makes a musical worth $1000+ to watch once so maybe I'm not the target audience.

I'd imagine it's one of those New York Society things to do. I'm even willing to bet most of the people who go don't particularly care for musical theater or even Hamilton specifically, they just want to mingle over intermission and later be able to tell their friends, "Oh, well, I went to Hamilton last weekend. It was incredible."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hey wait a second. Alexander Hamilton wasn't a Puerto Rican rapper! This whole musical is a sham!

:colbert:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah musicals are pretty loving lame.

Edit: Also rap/hip-hop is equally as terrible

Harton fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 27, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Harton posted:

Yeah musicals are pretty loving lame.

I mean, they don't have to be. I don't even know if Hamilton is lame. Just that it doesn't appeal to me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember when edutainment was a thing to be laughed at, not something that's sold out Broadway for months in advance. America's standards on pop culture have taken a turn for the worse.

Sad to see that from what people are saying, Last Week Tonight hasn't improved this year at all- and has actually gotten worse, if his creation of the Democrats' version of "Barack Hussein Obama" is any indication- but I'm almost certain that he's going to take a break one week from his "why I'm contemplating repatriating to England because America is irreparable" main stories to report on Rio 2016 and the IOC. I'll watch that, since his bits on FIFA were good (granted, one of them came in the first year of the show when it was consistently funny), and I want to judge for myself which international sports organization is worse.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean, they don't have to be. I don't even know if Hamilton is lame. Just that it doesn't appeal to me.

I just think it's an outdated thing that people still cling too for some reason. People with way too much time and money apparently.

Give me some solid dialogue and drama over singing what your doing. Les miserables I'm looking at you, gently caress you Hugh Jackman.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Echo Chamber posted:

Also, I'm glad that musical forced the Treasury Dept's hand and made them demote Andrew Jackson's prestige.

There certainly are not a lot of plays in history that have done something more valuable than getting America to take Andrew 'Trail of Tears' Jackson off the front of the most-used bill in our currency in favor of a black woman instead of making her share half the print run of the 10 with a Founding Father, thereby short changing them both.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
The $1000 Broadway tickets are for the rich tourists, that's all. People that live in NY that want to see new shows get in on pre-release shows.

Source: Saw Book of Mormon one month before it came out for $35 for two tickets. It's not very difficult to get these tickets if you're on top of things.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I think that you have to give the Hamilton album the time it deserves - sit down with the lyrics, read along and listen to the whole thing in one shot. Without the visuals it can be difficult to follow without the lyrics, it really is pretty amazing.

Its not simply a hiphop musical - its a musical with straight up broadway belters (Burn, You'll be back), dirty club rap (The Reynolds pamphlet), perfectly crafted pop songs (Wait for it, Schyler Sisters), upbeat 80s inflected party rap (My Shot) etc etc. The most impressive part of it is its incredible diversity of styles and approaches. Like the best music, every song feels like it has about 10 ideas good enough to underpin a whole other song.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Stumiester posted:

I think that you have to give the Hamilton album the time it deserves - sit down with the lyrics, read along and listen to the whole thing in one shot. Without the visuals it can be difficult to follow without the lyrics, it really is pretty amazing.

Its not simply a hiphop musical - its a musical with straight up broadway belters (Burn, You'll be back), dirty club rap (The Reynolds pamphlet), perfectly crafted pop songs (Wait for it, Schyler Sisters), upbeat 80s inflected party rap (My Shot) etc etc. The most impressive part of it is its incredible diversity of styles and approaches. Like the best music, every song feels like it has about 10 ideas good enough to underpin a whole other song.
King George's songs are (haha) British Invasion pop. They're perfect.

And Hamilton very much is "solid dialogue and drama" rather than "people singing whatever they're doing", whatever that means.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FlyingCheese posted:

The $1000 Broadway tickets are for the rich tourists, that's all. People that live in NY that want to see new shows get in on pre-release shows.

Source: Saw Book of Mormon one month before it came out for $35 for two tickets. It's not very difficult to get these tickets if you're on top of things.

But the pre-releases are for people who care about theater, right? I don't think society people would bother going to tons of cheap shows all the time just to be able to say they saw it before it was cool.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I just don't get the singing part in general. Why is that necessary? Just give me the details, maybe some background music or something. I'm less and less inclusive of things as I slowly become an awful old man. I know I'm most likely an uncultured jackass, but I've come to terms with it.

I've never seen a reason to burst into song at any point in my life as of yet.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Harton posted:

What a miserable bleak existence you must live then.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ha that's a bit extreme there! I don't have to burst into lame songs at inappropriate times to enjoy my bleak existence.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
It's a genre of storytelling. Sorry it doesn't appeal to you but, you know, opera is a thing that's existed for a long time and this is just the modern equivalent.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harton posted:

I just don't get the singing part in general. Why is that necessary? Just give me the details, maybe some background music or something. I'm less and less inclusive of things as I slowly become an awful old man. I know I'm most likely an uncultured jackass, but I've come to terms with it.

You sound more like me at 13 than an old man, honestly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That Puerto Rico song was incredible, I can't believe y'all sometimes.
It was like Immortal Technique and Animaniacs rolled into one. :swoon:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Harton posted:

I just don't get the singing part in general. Why is that necessary?

Why is the singing part necessary? In a musical? :psyduck:

No but really you can just go read a book on the subject if you don't like musicals or download a documentary

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I require all my entertainment to be dour and bleak like Mad Men.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Harton posted:

This post is amazing :allears:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Y-Hat posted:

Sad to see that from what people are saying, Last Week Tonight hasn't improved this year at all- and has actually gotten worse, if his creation of the Democrats' version of "Barack Hussein Obama" is any indication-

The "drumpf" thing hasn't been mentioned again since the week it happened. It was a one off joke. It's not John Oliver's fault that your Facebook friends won't knock it off.

quote:

but I'm almost certain that he's going to take a break one week from his "why I'm contemplating repatriating to England because America is irreparable" main stories

This isn't a thing

quote:

to report on Rio 2016 and the IOC. I'll watch that, since his bits on FIFA were good (granted, one of them came in the first year of the show when it was consistently funny), and I want to judge for myself which international sports organization is worse.

You haven't watched the show but you know it's not worth watching unless he's talking about sports organizations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

oh you mean the 97% of the country that doesn't live in the city

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Propaganda Machine posted:

But the pre-releases are for people who care about theater, right? I don't think society people would bother going to tons of cheap shows all the time just to be able to say they saw it before it was cool.

It's for regular New Yorkers that have a passing interest in the theater. When I was living there I'd see maybe one Broadway show a year, almost exclusively prerelease shows or same day leftover tickets. Just one perk for dealing with you goddamn tourists day in and day out.

No Butt Stuff posted:

oh you mean the 97% of the country that doesn't live in the city

Not my fault you don't live in the greatest city in the world. :smuggo:

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 27, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I have at least half of Hamilton and Book of Mormon memorized; I'm 29, I live not too far from NYC and I've never seen any Broadway show on Broadway ever.

I once saw a local high school perform Les Mis and I was like "good enough".

Too much money to take the train and too much effort to do that lottery thing before the show.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 27, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Hamilton does do a daily lottery which sells tickets for $10. They also did a free show for local high school students. The point I'm making is they're actively trying to allow people who aren't able to pay $1000+ for a ticket.

I'm in the "previously didn't care about musicals" camp but I enjoy Revolutionary War history so I checked it out. It's really good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The only musicals I can stand are disney movies.

Rapping about federalism appeals to me not at all, but whatever gets us closer to holographic Ben Franklin and Snoop Dogg doing bong rips on the $100 is fine with me.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Echo Chamber posted:

I have at least half of Hamilton and Book of Mormon memorized; I'm 29, I live not too far from NYC and I've never seen any Broadway show on Broadway ever.

I once saw a local high school perform Les Mis and I was like "good enough".

Too much money to take the train and too much effort to do that lottery thing before the show.

The lottery is all online now. The only live lottery is for the Wednesday matinee. You can enter every day on your phone, if you want. I miss the live lottery, though. There were like 400 people at each one, but there's ten times that entering each one online. I got really lucky when I won the second live one I went to.

But yeah, going to theatre for cheap when you live in NY is easy as hell, especially as half the shows on Broadway now have online lotteries, and more keep getting added. It's the tourists who want to be absolutely sure they're seeing a specific show on a specific date that are getting fleeced.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I don't care much for musicals, hip hop, or history unless it's told particularly well. That said, my wife made me listen to the Hamilton soundtrack, and it's really, really good. Like, "I don't mind that she plays it a bit too often" good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Y-Hat posted:

I remember when edutainment was a thing to be laughed at, not something that's sold out Broadway for months in advance. America's standards on pop culture have taken a turn for the worse.

So 1969 when 1776 come out on Broadway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bobkatt013 posted:

So 1969 when 1776 come out on Broadway

I love that that post was made in a thread about a funny news show, you know, edutainment.

• Locked thread