Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

how much did korra have?

Like five hours if we're not talking about the Naga [Polar bear] running levels? It was really short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RyokoTK posted:

Arrows totally curved in DS2, did they remove that for DS3?

Apparently it's just lessened? The only souls game I've gotten far in before this was bloodborne. I tried what Action Tortise said and there's a bit of curve, but it's super minor. Almost like the arrow has sideways momentum from the archer turning. It's probably tied to some programming thing they can't fix.

I'd probably stop gaming if every game was Souls hard though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Digirat posted:

Lords of the fallen gets slammed because the people who will defend absolutely any flaw in a from software game were ready and waiting to rip it apart the moment it released, because apparently from software are the only ones who're allowed to make a game in that genre and that impostor had no right to infringe on their greatness.

It's by no means a great game but people seriously exaggerate how bad it is. I'd like to see more games in that genre from different perspectives, because from's is pretty limited and can be very shortsighted (see: durability being dragged back into every game without remembering to give it a reason to exist). Much like how lives were put in 8-bit and 16-bit games for a long time after they had any reason to exist, from tends to copy a lot of elements between games with apparently not much thought as to why they're doing them.

I dunno. I had really high hopes for Lords of the Fallen. But like Simply Simon said: it does not get what was good about Dark Souls at all. And anyone who thinks it's just about "lol hard hurrrrrr" doesn't get it either.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
ever gotten hit by the silver knight arrows? imagine if they tracked better...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Salt and Sanctuary is a Dark Souls-like that's pretty good. Granted it's in 2D, so it leans a lot closer to Castlevania, but many of DS's gameplay conventions are in there as well as well as the high difficulty and generally solid design quality.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

but my god does S&S look like garbage.

RareAcumen posted:

Like five hours if we're not talking about the Naga [Polar bear] running levels? It was really short.

that's disappointing, I've always felt a game in the Avatar universe could have a lot of potential but I'm afraid they might all be terrible. the closest I can come to being Aang or Korra is making a general magic user in dark souls

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Digirat posted:

Lords of the fallen gets slammed because the people who will defend absolutely any flaw in a from software game were ready and waiting to rip it apart the moment it released, because apparently from software are the only ones who're allowed to make a game in that genre and that impostor had no right to infringe on their greatness.

It's by no means a great game but people seriously exaggerate how bad it is. I'd like to see more games in that genre from different perspectives, because from's is pretty limited and can be very shortsighted (see: durability being dragged back into every game without remembering to give it a reason to exist). Much like how lives were put in 8-bit and 16-bit games for a long time after they had any reason to exist, from tends to copy a lot of elements between games with apparently not much thought as to why they're doing them.

Lords of the Fallen was trash. It took everything that was ok about Dark Souls, and did it worse. It's story - trash. It's gameplay- buggy as poo poo when it released, still trash today. durrrr harrrrrd is not a gameplay element - its cool when its done right, its just a poo poo game when its done wrong - which is what LotF was. A poo poo game.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Actually come to think of it: HBomber guy, the darling of the PYF Dark Enlightenment thread said pretty much everything thats poo poo about this game much better than I ever could.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

but my god does S&S look like garbage.

that's disappointing, I've always felt a game in the Avatar universe could have a lot of potential but I'm afraid they might all be terrible. the closest I can come to being Aang or Korra is making a general magic user in dark souls

Korra was also a $20 downloadable game, it was made on a pretty small budget and it shows.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Simply Simon posted:

Not to be that guy, but you can ignore everything on the main path and go around the right side, fighting three singular enemies. It's very probably true that you can ignore those anyway and book it.

While we're on the game, I get perpetually miffed that my favorite weapons - strange ones and boss weapons - are all unable to be infused AND enchanted, leading me always to the question of "why should I use this hard to master, limited upgrade material requiring thing when instead I could use A Sword, put magic weapon on it, make it scale better with my main stat and therefore deal literally twice the damage?". I can deal well with losing some efficiency for style, but it's too much of a difference...

Infusions, actually, kind of drag down Dark Souls 3 for me. Because they're kind of poo poo for so many weapons. My first character was a strength build that used Ultra Great Swords. Every single infusion on every single infusable UGS only decreased its total damage, not a single one increased.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nuebot posted:

Infusions, actually, kind of drag down Dark Souls 3 for me. Because they're kind of poo poo for so many weapons. My first character was a strength build that used Ultra Great Swords. Every single infusion on every single infusable UGS only decreased its total damage, not a single one increased.
Not even the one for Strength?

Action Tortoise posted:

run almost directly towards an archer and watch the trajectory curve. it's subtle but it's there. you can def dodge them but arrows curve just like every other projectile. I think knives are the only ones don't.

have you listened to bonfireside chat? it's a goon run dark souls podcast and on off seasons they cover souls related media. lords was one of topics and they managed to find some positives in that game.
Sorry, I haven't listened to a single podcast in my life...

I first read about Lords in this thread actually and bought it for two possible outcomes: either it could go "ah it's not THAT bad, it's just trying something different" and I'd legit enjoy it, or I could slam it if it was loving terrible. And it turned out to be loving terrible. I wanted to be open-minded, but the first enemy with a shield shattered that mindset completely. Then I sleepwalked through a few bosses, got into an area early and killed the stupid gimmick boss there after too many attempts that really should not have been as hard (annoying) as it was, then found no way to progress, looked it up and discovered that this was a dead end until I hit a plot trigger somewhere else, then miraculously the door would unlock. I was really loving pissed after that. Lords is trash garbage. I am sure that you can find some enjoyment out of it, and I'm doing right now by posting about how much of a shitheap it is, more power to you if you really found your playstyle and a great way to have actual fun with it, but man oh man is it not "underrated" or whatever.

And by the by, arrows have always curved in Souls games, it probably depends on what you define as a "curve" if you agree or not, but they are slightly homing. Which is a good thing, because otherwise an archer could never possibly hit anything that isn't standing perfectly still. And a bad thing, because it does mean that the Anor Londo shooting gallery is even more bullshit than it should be.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure the infusions that increase scaling are only worth it if you have a very high amount of the stat in question. for some reason Raw has been statistically useless in every one of those games however; even at low stat levels the base damage increase is outclassed by the amount of damage that scaling provides.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Simply Simon posted:

Not even the one for Strength?

Nope, at 50str and 20dex for the record.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Do you have sufficient dexterity to one hand it because I was making that mistake the other way around with dex weapons - I had enough strength to two hand the chaos blade so I was confused as to why it did less damage than my uchi

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gitro posted:

Ivory king had a fun first boss, but that was the only part of the dlc I liked (didn't finish it). You can get a goofy helmet though! The run is kind of a pain just because it's pointlessly long, but there's nothing in the way. It's like the quintessential boss run - no real threat, just tedium.

Runs back to bosses in the souls series drag it down a lot for me. I don't mind hitting a wall on bosses because a lot of the harder ones are also the better ones, but it's kind of a drag when I have to spend most of a minute running back. I've figured out a good route, I'm not getting hit on the way there, now I'm just paying the fun tax to get to the boss fight. It'd be so nice if you could just respawn outside their fog door with all your poo poo restored if you died to them 3 times in a row or something.

I thought Ivory King was really good over all, but the co-op area was the worst of the 4 in DLCs. You have to run for several minutes through a trackless waste in a blinding blizzard. All the while enemies that are trivial to kill but can't be ignored are periodically spawning. All the other co-op areas can be ran through in like 10-30 seconds without killing anything if you know what you're doing, but this is gonna be a slog no matter what. And of course once you get to a boss it's one of those things that's extremely difficult solo but fairly trivial as a group.

Tracula posted:

MOBA fans are just kinda dicks about MOBA's. Dark Souls fans think that everyone except them suck and are dumb and need to git gud AND WHY ISN'T EVERYTHING A DARK SOULS. WHY ARENT ALL GAMES HARD HURRDURR.
(I'm a dark souls fan and hate most people who like the games)

You're one of the good ones. How do you feel about goons, though?

RareAcumen posted:

I thought it was a decent amount of content for it's price point (it was $15 right?) The real problem is that it wasn't all that good. Not terrible, but eh.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The worst coop area was the iron passage. hello, shitwrecking enemies and rear end in a top hat cleric that spams the fat flop miracle. oh look who joined the party, it's lightning cleric and ghost archer

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can jog thru iron passage easily and ignore all the enemies tho. I went into the ivory king area once, laughed and left

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought it was a decent amount of content for it's price point (it was $15 right?) The real problem is that it wasn't all that good. Not terrible, but eh.

Yeah but I bought Transformers Devastation and it feels a little on the short side like Korra and I'm pretty sure that sold for at least $40. I got my copy from a Gamestop so I don't even know if it'd be $60 otherwise.

That's what I was originally comparing the game to as far as length went.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Never having gotten to that part in DS1, it was piss easy in DS3, because I didn't charge in like a twit, lured one out at a time, and they ran themselves off the edge. Lack of knowledge of old Souls games seems like a bonus.

In DS1 the run up to where the archers were was a lot more open so there was less space to dodge. Also instead of a moderately wide area there was just a narrow ledge and the archers were on opposite ends of it. So if you ran up and went to face one the other would be constantly shooting arrows at your back and you couldn't just go around them because there wasn't enough space.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
This would fit better in an 'Irrationally irritating video game moments' thread, but since that doesn't exist I'm posting here.

They included a weapon in Dark Souls 3 that is a large, red-hot metal rod with a symbol at the end of it. You know, like some kind of iron you would brand cattle with. This, right here:

What is the name of this weapon? The loving SOLDERING IRON.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You can jog thru iron passage easily and ignore all the enemies tho. I went into the ivory king area once, laughed and left

I don't know if I'd say easily but yeah, you can just dash through it in like 20 seconds. The Ivory King area would probably take minutes even if there were zero enemies.

Butt Ox posted:

This would fit better in an 'Irrationally irritating video game moments' thread, but since that doesn't exist I'm posting here.

They included a weapon in Dark Souls 3 that is a large, red-hot metal rod with a symbol at the end of it. You know, like some kind of iron you would brand cattle with. This, right here:

What is the name of this weapon? The loving SOLDERING IRON.

Obviously a translation error, it's probably supposed to be "soldiering iron" (yeah, that bugged me too). How about this, the secret passages in Dark Souls 2 are called illusory walls, just like in 1 and 3. Unlike in 1 and 3 they're clearly not illusions! There is an actual wall there! You just touch a secret panel or something and it slides away! Argh!

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 11:14 on Apr 27, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A bit of a meta thing brought on by the discussion in the other thread:

The thing dragging Goldeneye down is that it will literally never be re-released. The rights to it are split awkwardly between Rare/Microsoft, Nintendo, Activision (who've had the rights to the Bond property for games for a good while now) and MGM, none of which have the drive needed to work together to make a re-release happen. And even if they did, chances are actor likenesses would need to be renegotiated and that'd shut the whole thing down.

I don't think Goldeneye's the only game in that sort of 'too legally scattered to be worth piecing back together' form, but it's definitely one of the biggest. It's probably the most historically important video game that you literally cannot play on a modern platform, and that is a massive shame.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It was remade though. It wasn't a particularly faithful or good remake from what I've heard, but the cooperation happened.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

It was remade though. It wasn't a particularly faithful or good remake from what I've heard, but the cooperation happened.
That wasn't a remake. It was just another use of the property.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FactsAreUseless posted:

That wasn't a remake. It was just another use of the property.

Yes, you played a rogue agent with a literal golden eye.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to say there was a report that they actually did put together a remake of the original but it never actually got released.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They did, on the wii. It was okay apparently

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I actually owned that one. It was a decent game, but it just wasn't Goldeneye; it was a modern cover shooter FPS that had a modern take on Goldeneye's story as the plot. The multiplayer was weird, it had some of the fun bits of Goldeneye's multiplayer but put into a completely different type of FPS.

muscles like this? posted:

I want to say there was a report that they actually did put together a remake of the original but it never actually got released.

And I remember hearing that too, it got smacked down by one of the other companies in the rights snarl.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That wasn't a remake, it was a different Bond FPS with the name Goldeneye. It wasn't bad, but if it wasn't called Goldeneye no one would have bought it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I think the reason you want to have Goldeneye re-released is purely nostalgia. I think that if you actually went back and played Goldeneye, you'd realize that compared to today, Goldeneye was pretty mediocre all around. My roommate last year had a Nintendo 64 with Goldeneye on it, and I got to experience this first hand.

Also, the multiplayer scheme for it on N64 was loving atrociously bad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

That wasn't a remake, it was a different Bond FPS with the name Goldeneye. It wasn't bad, but if it wasn't called Goldeneye no one would have bought it.
this one?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I had completely forgotten about that one, I just assumed we were all talking about this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye:_Rogue_Agent

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The PSWii60 had a 'modern' remake version of GoldenEye.
Everything in it got rejiggered to fit in with Daniel Craig and his set of movies. It was odd.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The Moon Monster posted:

You're one of the good ones. How do you feel about goons, though?

Eh. I was being an overly reactionary idiot fucker in my post about things. It is me. I am the awful goony goon fan of Dark Souls sometimes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yeah, that one. I bought it for like :10bux:. It was worth the money, but only just barely.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
There's a source mod that tries to be a faithful recreation of n64 goldeneye, and a perfect dark one as well.

the weird thing about the goldeneye one is that it tries to simulate the aiming mechanics from the original game's manual aiming (standing still and guiding the reticle) instead of just being a regular FPS with pc aiming.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tracula posted:

Eh. I was being an overly reactionary idiot fucker in my post about things. It is me. I am the awful goony goon fan of Dark Souls sometimes.

hey there :(:hf::(

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Action Tortoise posted:

There's a source mod that tries to be a faithful recreation of n64 goldeneye, and a perfect dark one as well.

the weird thing about the goldeneye one is that it tries to simulate the aiming mechanics from the original game's manual aiming (standing still and guiding the reticle) instead of just being a regular FPS with pc aiming.

That's kind of awesome, though as an immediate counterpoint the best part of the Perfect Dark 360 port is you can turn that right the hell off in the options menu. It worked on the N64, but definitely not so much with any other control scheme.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

I think the reason you want to have Goldeneye re-released is purely nostalgia. I think that if you actually went back and played Goldeneye, you'd realize that compared to today, Goldeneye was pretty mediocre all around. My roommate last year had a Nintendo 64 with Goldeneye on it, and I got to experience this first hand.

Also, the multiplayer scheme for it on N64 was loving atrociously bad.

I don't think it's really fair to call Goldeneye mediocre, it's just aged badly, mostly because it's from a time where they had no idea how to do an FPS on console. Wasn't there some weird controller setup you could pick that would allow for moving and shooting at the same time, but it required two controllers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I thought the n64 controller was designed so that you could walk with the dpad and aim with the analog stick but no game ever had that setup.