Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Didn't it only show up in schools fairly recently too? Or was that the God reference on dollars?

They used to do the Bellamy salute or nazi salute to the flag in schools before the whole nazi thing became an issue so it's been going on at least pre WW2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Maggie Fletcher posted:

You guys, I got quoted by LoB. Am I famous now?

Did he use quote tags?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

EmmyOk posted:

Didn't it only show up in schools fairly recently too? Or was that the God reference on dollars?

No, the Pledge was in schools by the 1890s. The "under God" bit got added in the 1950s because of the Cold War.

"In God We Trust" was on coins since the 1860s, but got added to bills in the 1950s because of the Cold War.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Apr 27, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
These people can't complain about the pledge being taken out when they don't even remember having to do the whole star spangled banner right afterwards! :colbert:

I have these images burnt into my retinas.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tracula posted:

The pledge is literally worshipping the flag and yeah, the strangest part is how long it takes to realize how creepy it is.

Ignorant American asking here. Before sports games in other countries do you also rise and sing your national anthems? It's not nearly as bad as the pledge but constantly and all the time we have to talk about how good and wonderful America is it feels like.

Yeah they get played for both teams during internationals matches in rugby and football. Though rugby doesn't use the normal national anthem as Northern Ireland and the Republic play on the same team.

AlbieQuirky posted:

No, the Pledge was in schools by the 1890s. The "under God" bit got added in the 1950s because of the Cold War.

"In God We Trust" was on coins since the 1860s, but got added to bills in the 1950s because of the Cold War.

Cool, thanks!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

We used to sing the Australian national anthem once a week in primary school. I don't think that's anywhere near as weird as pledging allegiance to anything though, let alone a flag. Though I feel it's a pity we only ever sang the first verse, because I really like the line "for those who've come across the seas, we've boundless plains to share". Oddly enough, I don't think they ever taught us the words, we were just expected to pick them up and join in once we felt confident, so for a long time I had a few of them wrong; stuff like "with gold and soil" and "our beauty rich and rare". And I thought "Australia Fair" must be a fair like an amusement park.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ularg posted:

These people can't complain about the pledge being taken out when they don't even remember having to do the whole star spangled banner right afterwards! :colbert:

I have these images burnt into my retinas.

Pretty kickass image to be fair.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
We used to sing the national anthem in South Africa every Friday during assembly.

As for anthems at sporting events they would be sung before an international game. In Canada we sing it at the beginning of all sporting games, even if two Canadian teams are playing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
When I taught school in Indonesia they made the kids go outside in a military esque formation and salute the flag while girls passed out in their hijabs in 90 degree heat so America really isn't the worst I've seen.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah neither in France not Germany exists anything like the pledge. We learned the lyrics to the national anthem but we never actually sang it at school.

It really is pretty creepy.

Germany used to have something like that. Cant remember why they stopped doing it. It was long before I was born. Sometime in the forties?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nuclear War posted:

Germany used to have something like that. Cant remember why they stopped doing it. It was long before I was born. Sometime in the forties?

Make Germany Great Again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Krispy Kareem posted:

Make Germany Great Again Again

there we go.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Wh... what?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ularg posted:

Wh... what?

drat. I was going to go with "both have facial hair".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Wh... what?

Oil is paid for in American dollars. I think it started when the Saudi's agreed to use USD in exchange for military protection. This forces countries to keep large stockpiles of greenbacks to buy or sell liquid crude.

I'm not sure about Gaddafi, but Saddam wanted to use Euros or something for oil. If other countries started doing the same the resulting worldwide dumping of dollars as the world's reserve currency would cause economic upheaval in the US. So we had him killed.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

In Canada in the 80s, at least where I was they would play O Canada and God Save the Queen over the intercom for us to sing along to. I remember a couple of years when we also had to recite the Lord's Prayer. It was very boring and tedious as a kid in Grade 1.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah neither in France not Germany exists anything like the pledge. We learned the lyrics to the national anthem but we never actually sang it at school.

It really is pretty creepy.

I remember as a little kid in an American school we'd dedicate rather significant periods of time in "music class" which was "learn piles of patriotic songs." Some of them were even overtly Christian in nature as well. In retrospect that's actually pretty creepy but at the time I just liked singing the catchy songs.

I guess this is still happening? Here's a YouTube video, anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-qftw0Spjw My favorite part is all the flags above as if they're celebrating diversity while singing a song that basically means "there's a poo poo load of flags in the world but all of them suck except ours."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We had to do gospel choir every year because something like 95% of our schools are catholic and non-catholic ones get little to no state funding. Though in our final two years of primary school boys were allowed work in the garden outside if they were bad at singing. Thanks institutionalised sexism!

e: 96% of our schools are owned by religious organisations and the catholic church owns 90% of those schools

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

In the south, you can be sent to detention for not saying the pledge, provided you are not a religious exemption to it. (Jehovah's Witness, I believe. Even then, they're usually still required to stand out of respect to others.) I never realized how strange that was until my husband brought it up the other day. I also know my state's anthem, too, but that's mostly because TN is massively into football and you hear it all the time during the season. Orange still= Vols to me, even though I don't care much for sports.

When I was a kid, i had a great teacher who would do half of our lesson, let us go to lunch, then we'd sing silly songs and dance around before settling down to the next portion so we could focus on our work better. It worked a charm, and I still remember the words for Bicycle Built for Two. :3:

E: wait, why did nonreligious schools miss out on funding while religious ones got it? What country does this?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DicktheCat posted:

In the south, you can be sent to detention for not saying the pledge, provided you are not a religious exemption to it. (Jehovah's Witness, I believe. Even then, they're usually still required to stand out of respect to others.) I never realized how strange that was until my husband brought it up the other day. I also know my state's anthem, too, but that's mostly because TN is massively into football and you hear it all the time during the season. Orange still= Vols to me, even though I don't care much for sports.

That's actually unconstitutional, just for the record

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wanamingo posted:

You say that like it matters. I had a teacher proudly inform every class he had for a week that he forced children to stand and say the pledge in the morning whether they liked it or not because his son was a green beret. "You'll respect what my son is doing," he'd always tell us. "If I see anybody not saying the pledge anywhere in school I'll make your life hell."

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Which part? The sending kids to detention or the exemption? The exemption for religious reasons seems fair enough.

^^^
I believe it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Picnic Princess posted:

In Canada in the 80s, at least where I was they would play O Canada and God Save the Queen over the intercom for us to sing along to. I remember a couple of years when we also had to recite the Lord's Prayer. It was very boring and tedious as a kid in Grade 1.

In the early 2000's we did a daily O Canada over the intercom in Jr High. By grade 9 nobody actually sang along, we'd just sit silently as it played.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Degenerate Star posted:

Hey, don't forget the pledge's important role in the spiritual development of budding atheists when they realize that there's no consequences for refusing to say the 'under God' part. Not a single lghtning bolt! Heck yeah! In your face, Mom!

My mom was actually the one who told me I could just say "under Dog" if I wanted to and no one would notice.

Atheist parents, yeah!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

My mom was actually the one who told me I could just say "under Dog" if I wanted to and no one would notice.

Atheist parents, yeah!

it starts all well and good then by the third week you're just singing the Underdog theme and everyone notices :(

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

DicktheCat posted:

I also know my state's anthem, too, but that's mostly because TN is massively into football and you hear it all the time during the season. Orange still= Vols to me, even though I don't care much for sports

When my niece was in elementary school she had to do the Michigan pledge, which I had never heard of before and when she moved to Texas in middle school they did the Texas pledge there too.

I know they sing the Breton national anthem at most if not all games at the stadium here in Rennes, I have no idea if they do it in other stadiums in Brittany. Two Breton teams played in the Coupe de France finals a couple of times over the last few years and they did the Breton anthem in the national stadium in Paris. It made far-right wing people mad, which is pretty cool.

Change the colors of the flags and change the song and this is pretty much what most non-Americans seem to think the US is like all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBaZkZh-gcg

For some content, I thought about commenting how the American soldier in this picture is wearing an Israeli uniform and has a big star of David on his chest but :effort:

Anen

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Our highschool substitute vocal/choir teacher had a full meltdown on Maundy Thursday. She made the choir class sing easter songs, draw easter coloring sheets (these were highschoolers), and then answer bible trivia and explain how Christ had influenced their life.

she was fired.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

"I plead alignment to the flakes of the untitled snakes of a merry cow, and to the Republicans for which they scam, one nacho, underpants, invisible, with licorice and jugs of wine for owls."

No one ever said anything, so I assume no one noticed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember having to sing a bunch of patriotic stuff in elementary school choir. The saddest thing is that I remember we very frequently sang that Lee Greenwood song "God Bless the USA" and I liked it. I would actually look forward to singing that song. It's not like I was from some patriotic family either; my parents were both liberal atheists. I just liked the way it sounded. It is a humiliation I'll never live down. As a kid it just never occurred to me that stuff like the pledge and repeatedly singing songs about how awesome America is was weird.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You say that like it matters. I had a teacher proudly inform every class he had for a week that he forced children to stand and say the pledge in the morning whether they liked it or not because his son was a green beret. "You'll respect what my son is doing," he'd always tell us. "If I see anybody not saying the pledge anywhere in school I'll make your life hell."

Oh, no, it definitely doesn't matter

DicktheCat posted:

Which part? The sending kids to detention or the exemption? The exemption for religious reasons seems fair enough.

The first part, punishing kids for not standing. It's a first amendment issue

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Soviet Commubot posted:

When my niece was in elementary school she had to do the Michigan pledge, which I had never heard of before and when she moved to Texas in middle school they did the Texas pledge there too.

I know they sing the Breton national anthem at most if not all games at the stadium here in Rennes, I have no idea if they do it in other stadiums in Brittany. Two Breton teams played in the Coupe de France finals a couple of times over the last few years and they did the Breton anthem in the national stadium in Paris. It made far-right wing people mad, which is pretty cool.

Change the colors of the flags and change the song and this is pretty much what most non-Americans seem to think the US is like all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBaZkZh-gcg

For some content, I thought about commenting how the American soldier in this picture is wearing an Israeli uniform and has a big star of David on his chest but :effort:

Anen

It's saying that the US is controlled by the Jews probably.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Otisburg posted:

Some woman from my past I was vaguely angling towards getting back with shared several of these in a row and my thirst was gone.

Lol goony as gently caress.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Public page in response to Denny Hastert's sentencing:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I remember having to sing a Remembrance day song in early elementary school and they made us sing it with a fake British accent, which creeped me out. I've hated choir ever since.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Kontradaz posted:

Lol goony as gently caress.

Yeah because enjoyable conversation is for pussies, amirite? Real alphas just gently caress 'em and forget 'em! quoth the goon, Kontradax.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You misspelled his name

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Weatherman posted:

Yeah because enjoyable conversation is for pussies, amirite? Real alphas just gently caress 'em and forget 'em! quoth the goon, Kontradax.

Ten bucks dude hasn't seen the woman for like 5 years but pines after her FB profile. #goons

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Ten bucks dude hasn't seen the woman for like 5 years but pines after her FB profile. #goons

and having a 6-year old SA account just screams "slays the pussy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, no, it definitely doesn't matter

The first part, punishing kids for not standing. It's a first amendment issue

Except they wouldn't write up the detention for refusing to stand, they would write it for "being disruptive in the classroom."

It's like how Georgia got around the supreme court telling they they couldn't have a moment of prayer in the morning so they changed it to "a moment of quite reflection." We were all still expected to sit silently with our heads bowed regardless of what they called it.