Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I'm pretty fond of the time a typo caused the refrigerators to recursively fill themselves with chicken nuggets so the entire game would immediately hang as it started. I like to imagine the universe slowly dying as endless frozen chicken nuggets pour out of every freezer in creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

magic mountain posted:

I'm pretty fond of the time a typo caused the refrigerators to recursively fill themselves with chicken nuggets so the entire game would immediately hang as it started. I like to imagine the universe slowly dying as endless frozen chicken nuggets pour out of every freezer in creation.

Actually, only 5% of the freezers! :eng101:
This is why it took so long to hunt down the bug. :negative:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I still remember the exact point at which someone isolated the bug and told us it was chicken nuggets. We were only like half surprised, that's what this game does to you.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
In my heart of hearts I hope the fix for that makes nuggets somehow combust violently when combined with a rubber duck or a headset or a staff assistant.

Jebediah Kerman
Dec 30, 2008
Working on writing up roleplay ideas for Destiny, hopefully people will like it. oh boy!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
unlimited nugger works.

awox
Aug 21, 2015
luv2club
I really like the bug where you could set mechanics money receptors to take -99999 credits, which would simply give you more money.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jebediah Kerman posted:

Working on writing up roleplay ideas for Destiny, hopefully people will like it. oh boy!

Murdah

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Spy_Guy posted:

Actually, only 5% of the freezers! :eng101:
This is why it took so long to hunt down the bug. :negative:

it was spawning them in via a for loop that counted the wrong way wasn't it?

also is it possible to do any loaf science with nuggets? I want to have neutronium nuggets I can throw(ish) at changelings and eat afterwards :getin:

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

pnutz posted:

it was spawning them in via a for loop that counted the wrong way wasn't it?

Yep.

for (var/i = rand(2,10), i > 0, i--)
vs
for (var/i = rand(2,10), i > 0, i++)

Two characters was all the difference between the server starting normally, and the server grinding to a halt 9 times out of 10 as the couple fridges around the map frantically spawned nuggets over and over, everything else stopped because all the server knew to do was KEEP SPAWNING NUGGETS. I think when one of the hosts finally figured out what was going on there were tens of thousands of nuggets in those fridges only a couple minutes after the server restarted.

This was also entirely my fault, I am the nugget criminal.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
to be fair, those are two very important characters to gently caress up in a loop

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

Tiler Kiwi posted:

to be fair, those are two very important characters to gently caress up in a loop

Oh definitely. I had been working on porting all the old types of closets to the new one (at one point we had /obj/closet, /obj/secure_closet, and /obj/crate, all of which functioned nearly the same in most ways but were three different things for some loving reason) and hadn't been paying enough attention to what I was doing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

pnutz posted:

the last version of mushroom I'm assuming? that station went through some rather large revisions from when I started playing it in 2012 (the cafeteria becoming the warehouse and being moved off next to the botany bubble among other things)

It'd be interesting to see some of the old stations as derelicts sometime. Not just floating in space, but the actual map; I'm imagining something along the lines of Destiny, mostly suited to admin-managed scenarios. At least, it'd probably be a little easier than mangling the running station all the time. :v:

Haine posted:

Hopefully there's a lingering comment in there, in the form of a nugget of wisdom. :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Zamujasa posted:

Hopefully there's a lingering comment in there, in the form of a nugget of wisdom. :v:

I'm booing you here, but mostly because I didn't think of it first.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Last night, I learned that all shoes will respect the step_sound variable. That was a lovely round :fyadride:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Haine posted:

can we order more nuggets via haine's chicken nugget farm?

not chickens, as in you're literally breaking physics to spawn more in/growing stuff like botany's free-range eggs to supply us with more nuggets

quote:

Oh definitely. I had been working on porting all the old types of closets to the new one (at one point we had /obj/closet, /obj/secure_closet, and /obj/crate, all of which functioned nearly the same in most ways but were three different things for some loving reason) and hadn't been paying enough attention to what I was doing.

what do you mean? did some genius spaghetti-coder make near-identical copypastas instead of having a parent closet class and then making secure_closet and crate children of that?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

pnutz posted:

what do you mean? did some genius spaghetti-coder make near-identical copypastas instead of having a parent closet class and then making secure_closet and crate children of that?

Knowing the history of this game, yeah, probably.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
i'm fond of the bug where every time a player farted, it slowed the game down. got fixed pretty quickly, obviously!

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

pnutz posted:

That's exactly it. I moved all closets and crates to be children of /obj/storage and /obj/storage/secure, which was long overdue and also boring as gently caress to move them all over. God there were so many of them and it took forever. I think I got SpyGuy to help me out with the crates because argh.

There were (probably still are) a lot of instances of someone needing code that already existed somewhere else, so they just copy and pasted the code in the new place and maybe changed one line or something.

This is why for a short time wizards - only in mixed mode - would spawn, barf out all their internal organs and die instantly.
"oh I need to unequip everything from these people that will become wizards, should I just use the unequip_all() proc that already exists??? naaaah I need their stuff deleted, which is not a thing I can just add to unequip_all(), I'll just copy and paste the code from unequip_all() into the proc that spawns the wizards!! this will never backfire ever and someone in the future certainly won't hate me for doing this" - probably hitler

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I have no problem with wizards barfing out their organs. Makes killing them easier.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Serves them right for not getting their pancuronium booster wizard flu shot :colbert:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Haine posted:

This is why for a short time wizards - only in mixed mode - would spawn, barf out all their internal organs and die instantly.
"oh I need to unequip everything from these people that will become wizards, should I just use the unequip_all() proc that already exists??? naaaah I need their stuff deleted, which is not a thing I can just add to unequip_all(), I'll just copy and paste the code from unequip_all() into the proc that spawns the wizards!! this will never backfire ever and someone in the future certainly won't hate me for doing this" - probably hitler

:allears: They...they should have sent a poet...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I still think the chemistry+fractal cooking fiasco that created a living Crashwich so powerful it defeated the admins and crashed the entire server is one of the funniest drat things ever to come out of this game.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I still think the chemistry+fractal cooking fiasco that created a living Crashwich so powerful it defeated the admins and crashed the entire server is one of the funniest drat things ever to come out of this game.

After hearing things like this I sometimes wonder what Space Station 13 players could accomplish if they used the ingenuity they show in this game in real life, but honestly for the sake of humanity I think it's better that they don't.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Penultimatum posted:

After hearing things like this I sometimes wonder what Space Station 13 players could accomplish if they used the ingenuity they show in this game in real life, but honestly for the sake of humanity I think it's better that they don't.

Also, in real life it is much harder to break into the electrical grid, tell what it does and force your way into a chemistry lab.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, in real life it is much harder to break into the electrical grid, tell what it does and force your way into a chemistry lab.

Breaking a window and disassembling a table isn't too difficult, especially with easy access to a welding torch and a crowbar.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

The stamina system is the bigger catch-22 for players.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Security is way more robust in the real world.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Nakar posted:

Security is way more robust in the real world.

More liable to shoot first and beat you to death without getting a jobban.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Haine posted:

:shepicide:

where do I start submitting code optimisation?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Angry Diplomat posted:

One of the chat logs from that was wonderful.
:haw: I have a way to defeat the Crashwich!
:cool: ...Is it explosives?
:haw: ...I might have pipebombs...
:cool: Please don't blow up my bar

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I missed this game.

edit: in my defense, nobody was at robotics

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
BADMIN

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

as it turns out anything that manages to overwhelm the text parser also kills all the admins because they can't actually look at it for long enough to delete it

I fondly remember the days before ID cards had character limits when I played HoP and handed out whatever IDs people people wanted with huge paragraphs of text on them so that the AI spent half the round screaming at me and the other half with their client lagged to death because whenever someone spoke it showed the AI their full job title.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Name length limits (or the lack thereof) have always been comedy. I vaguely recall a time when the botany seed splicer could name seeds, and someone managed to name a seed the either the entirety of the Bee Movie script or the first chapter of Harry Potter or something.

Or the time someone managed to sneak in an autoplaying YouTube embed :stare:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

That was actually incredible, they successfully managed to figure out that you could fully use HTML by writing on the printouts from the Electronics printer, I think. Everyone was really fortunate that the person who found this just used it to rickroll people and then told the coders about it because I'm pretty sure you could have done some really nasty poo poo with that.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do I need Byond 510 to play on goonstation?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The bot docks also briefly had no length restrictions, leading to a cyborg named the entirety of the John Galt speech from Atlas Shrugged .

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do I need Byond 510 to play on goonstation?

I'm fairly sure unless you want to not see anything during the escape shuttle, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

Name length limits (or the lack thereof) have always been comedy. I vaguely recall a time when the botany seed splicer could name seeds, and someone managed to name a seed the either the entirety of the Bee Movie script or the first chapter of Harry Potter or something.

It was the Irish Declaration of Independence, me and Isaac had some fun with that one. Also it led to the AI calling Molly Bloom's soliloquy from Ulysses "weird fanfic".

• Locked thread