Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

drat... everything deals a lot of damage on the Majora's Mask map. They really make you use those Masks of Truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

The position of your strong attack in the attack chain: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Charge_Attacks

Right. At what point/level of difficulty does such strategy become crucial? I'll admit I'm just working my way through normal difficulty and having a blast more or less smashing buttons and letting the acrobatics get the best of me without any thought of "good" move sets. And that's working just fine.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Right. At what point/level of difficulty does such strategy become crucial? I'll admit I'm just working my way through normal difficulty and having a blast more or less smashing buttons and letting the acrobatics get the best of me without any thought of "good" move sets. And that's working just fine.

Yeah, but for each character you like to play, you have to have an idea of which moves are your favorites or work best by now. That's the extent of the "strategy" being described.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Aren't level 3 weapons only in adventure maps after the first?

Yep.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I am not very good at Ganondorfing, apparently. Any tips for dealing with B-8 on the first adventure map ("Deal with unwanted guests!" vs. Agitha)?

Remember that C1 fully charged makes you downright invincible against enemy attacks. Also, you can hold the charge on C3 to C6 to charge C1 up to full power.

A key thing about Ganondorf is that you want to space his attacks (except fully charged C1) when you're fighting the playable characters. C3 spam at the right distance can keep the enemy away and Ganondorf safe, and if they get too close for comfort, remember that almost every combo finisher that Ganondorf has can be dodge-cancelled at just about any point in the attack, meaning you can dodge out of dangerous attacks and better position yourself.

If you can, try hitting officer and character WPGs with a fully charged C1, then run up to the enemy so you can start a WPS. C1 will always proc the darkness effect on the enemy, so running up to them for a WPS at that point makes said WPS do more damage. As C1 at full power already does incredible damage, C1 as WPG is up -> WPS will do incredible damage to enemies, even moreso because Ganondorf's WPS is one of the more powerful ones.

C6 (and C5 to a lesser extent) is great for large groups of mooks and multiple officers. Smaller groups of mooks are best taken care of with C3.

Also, the first part of C2 (the part where Ganondorf stabs his blades into the ground) acts as a launcher. Dodge cancel after this when you launch an enemy, and you can attack them with the string or do a combo: First part of C2 -> C3 x 2 -> C6. First part of C2 -> attack string also reliably breaks WPGs on officers and characters if you don't want to time C1 right.

C4 dodge-cancelled twice will fill up the gauge, bringing C1 to full power too.

Anyways, for tips on that level: You may want to deal with the Manhandla Stalks first. Other than that, make sure you recruit the other forces that appear. C6 on large groups should clear keeps and take care of the KO requirement, while full power C1 will chip off a lot of health from harder enemies. Remember that you can attack Stalmasters, then dodge to the side of them to make them expose their WPG more easily. To complete the mission, simply take care of the listed enemy officers. Zant will more often than not take care of the Dark Agitha near him by himself so don't bother with those.

As for Agitha, dodge to the side when you see her jump up and down since that means she's summoning a beetle (this is her C3). If she jumps high up, a beetle is gonna mow you down (Agitha's C5) so dodge or use full power C1 (hopefully as close to Agitha as possible). She'll expose her WPG after both of those attacks, and after the attack where she lets out a swarm of butterflies that fly upwards in front of her (which is her C2), so take advantage of those moments to break her WPG. Besides that, don't be afraid to use C1, even if she's not exposing her WPG, because repeated use of this move will wear down the HP of enemies pretty fast. Luckily for you, this mission is in the Red Zone, so the maximum damage limit sits at 25 hearts (10000) of damage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Adventure mode is a lot harder than normal Legends mode, but regardless of that, there are some good and bad attack chains for each character.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Adventure mode is a lot harder than normal Legends mode, but regardless of that, there are some good and bad attack chains for each character.

Like, take Ruto for example: Her C1, C2, C3, and C6 are all decent moves, but then you get some incredible stinkers in C4 and C5 which you do not want to touch with a fifteen-foot pole (well, perhaps C4, but you dodge-cancel it so you can get your meter filled instead of actually using it to attack).

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Should I start jacking up my character levels in the Dojo at this point? I feel like my damage output has been underwhelming.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Should I start jacking up my character levels in the Dojo at this point? I feel like my damage output has been underwhelming.

leveling is generally the main thing you want to use rupees for, so yes.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Folt The Bolt posted:

Remember that you can attack Stalmasters, then dodge to the side of them to make them expose their WPG more easily.

Yeah, to expand on this for those unaware: if you just poke > dodge > poke > dodge > poke > dodge > etc... always dodging to the side, Stalmasters (and Darknuts) will suddenly drop their guard and you can kick their rear end

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Right. At what point/level of difficulty does such strategy become crucial?

To the level Folt goes into it? Probably never. Some characters do have moves that are much better than others or are only good if you know how to exploit them; but I find I get more effect out of learning the maps, learning what to prioritize, and learning how to dodge than I do figuring out who has frame-perfect dodge cancels that let them one-round a boss without special/focus meter or the like.

Knowing the characters' moves in a general sense, THAT I'd call crucial, even if you just rely on one combo (whether because it's good or because it's fun).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I've just unlocked Toon Link and Skull Kid but don't have any of the materials I need to fill out their basic badges. Where's the easiest place to find that stuff?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

leveling is generally the main thing you want to use rupees for, so yes.

Alright. I suppose that makes the next question "how do I get a fuckton of rupees?" Do I just try to grind weapon drops? If so, is there a really good way/place to do so?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I've just unlocked Toon Link and Skull Kid but don't have any of the materials I need to fill out their basic badges. Where's the easiest place to find that stuff?

You really can't until Legend mode Wind Waker story and Wind Waker adventure mode.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Playing 3DS version. How do I get these weapon skills that are all chained up and weird looking to do anything? Getting kills seems to have no effect.

Also I'm almost finished with the first adventure mode map and still only have one fairy and a small amount of clothing. I honestly figured they'd have a lot more content for this My Fairy thing. Am I just missing something?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bruceski posted:

To the level Folt goes into it? Probably never. Some characters do have moves that are much better than others or are only good if you know how to exploit them; but I find I get more effect out of learning the maps, learning what to prioritize, and learning how to dodge than I do figuring out who has frame-perfect dodge cancels that let them one-round a boss without special/focus meter or the like.

Knowing the characters' moves in a general sense, THAT I'd call crucial, even if you just rely on one combo (whether because it's good or because it's fun).

Cool thanks for the advance. Folt's advice is intense but very interesting. I haven't even unlocked nearly a quarter of the characters but yeah, I'm sure when by the time it becomes necessary I'll have a better handle on things. Only weapon/character I can't get behind is Fire Rod Link, which in terms of nostalgia is just awesome (like everything in this game), but yeah it seems like a bad way of killing things. I'm probably missing something in regards to it though.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Kelp Plankton posted:

Playing 3DS version. How do I get these weapon skills that are all chained up and weird looking to do anything? Getting kills seems to have no effect.

Also I'm almost finished with the first adventure mode map and still only have one fairy and a small amount of clothing. I honestly figured they'd have a lot more content for this My Fairy thing. Am I just missing something?

On the Master Sword? You have to get every character's rank 3 / rank 4 weapon before you can start unlocking those two skills, respectively.

There are five fairies and tons of clothes on the first Adventure mode map. I guess you just didn't find all of it yet.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool thanks for the advance. Folt's advice is intense but very interesting. I haven't even unlocked nearly a quarter of the characters but yeah, I'm sure when by the time it becomes necessary I'll have a better handle on things. Only weapon/character I can't get behind is Fire Rod Link, which in terms of nostalgia is just awesome (like everything in this game), but yeah it seems like a bad way of killing things. I'm probably missing something in regards to it though.

It's not a fantastic weapon, but it can work. The C3 combo (where Link turns the rod into something that looks like an axe and throws it around in a circle) is pretty good.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Fire rod's C3 (w-w-s) is good for most options. It's easy to accidentally do C4 though, which sucks.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The Fire Rod is basically a sniper rifle in disguise, but is one of those weapons that really needs all its combo chains unlocked to be good. Once you do, the C2 combo that spins an axe around you clears weak mobs, the C4 that summons a dragon mauls captains and potentially name characters if you time it right, C3 can juggle enemies basically forever if you know what you're doing, and the basic combo string ends with an attack that has a gigantic range. Pick out the biggest threat, snipe at them until they get close, use a combo to clear the area, then repeat. It's a little tedious but it works.

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Master Sword skills don't start counting kills until you unlock all weapons for every character, and the non-Master Sword weapons start counting once the Master Sword is finished. They're mostly not worth it, IMO; the Master Sword gets a nice damage bonus that makes it the strongest weapon in the game, but the others just make the weapon's damage equivalent to a tier 4 weapon of the same star rank.

Fairies are hidden in brown pots in keeps, and the stages they appear in are marked in the rewards section before starting a map.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Alright. I suppose that makes the next question "how do I get a fuckton of rupees?" Do I just try to grind weapon drops? If so, is there a really good way/place to do so?
You can buy rupee potions from the alchemist for 75 brown materials of any type and 1 rupee once you get enough skulltulas; combine that with a +rupees weapon skill and you can make like five times as many rupees per map as usual. Beyond that, Link maps on adventure mode reward you with 50000 rupees and a guaranteed top-tier weapon; they're deactivated by default, but there's an option on adventure mode to turn on your internet connection that activates them. If you can't do that or run out of Links, the reward maps for completing skulltula pictures are worth 40000 rupees per clear and a lot of experience as well.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Any tips for Toon Link's level 4 mission? Or just Toon Link in general, I guess? He's level 53 with a 3-star locomo level 3 weapon and it feels like I'm doing no damage. I'm getting a b rank on both the time and damage taken right now.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Which weapon skills do you guys use the most? For the early game I've been mostly going with Materials+/EXP+/Stars+/Slots+ just to collect stuff, but now I'm getting somewhat farther in I'm wondering about the other ones. I've started to pay attention a bit more to which combo attacks I'm using for which character, so I could probably make use of appropriate Str Attack+ ones. How much do those actually increase damage? (And also I guess, how much of an effect does EXP+ have on your experience and Materials+ have on how often materials appear and so on?) And then there's all of the elemental skills and sealed skills, which I've basically been ignoring.

I've been having a blast playing so far, though. I really like adventure mode and all of the different levels and rewards in it - I'm just about done opening up all of the squares the first adventure map and getting all of the weapons there.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

mastajake posted:

Any tips for Toon Link's level 4 mission? Or just Toon Link in general, I guess? He's level 53 with a 3-star locomo level 3 weapon and it feels like I'm doing no damage. I'm getting a b rank on both the time and damage taken right now.

If you're not doing enough damage grab a fairy with doubled-up Bombos (fire) spells. If you're taking too much damage grab an Item Powerup potion and dodge-cancelled Light Arrow spam every officer to death from relative safety.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

C3 (the axe) spam is fantastic and can get you out of most messes, but the weapon overall is average when it comes to enemies. You should practice doing this combo because one button press too much takes you to C4 which is... generally bad.

Generally though, most missions can be done by spamming the character's best attack depending on the situation (like Ganondorf's C6 for large amonts of mooks and full power C1 for anything else). That said, knowing how to combo the harder enemies can be extremely good to know, as well as general map knowledge as proper know-how of the mission and the map lets you plan things out, and you get to do things faster and safer.

(Tip for when you get to the Earth & Wind Temple maps on the Great Sea Map: Learn to have the Hookshot awailable, especially if there's no Owl statues.)

EDIT:

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Which weapon skills do you guys use the most? For the early game I've been mostly going with Materials+/EXP+/Stars+/Slots+ just to collect stuff, but now I'm getting somewhat farther in I'm wondering about the other ones. I've started to pay attention a bit more to which combo attacks I'm using for which character, so I could probably make use of appropriate Str Attack+ ones. How much do those actually increase damage? (And also I guess, how much of an effect does EXP+ have on your experience and Materials+ have on how often materials appear and so on?) And then there's all of the elemental skills and sealed skills, which I've basically been ignoring.

I've been having a blast playing so far, though. I really like adventure mode and all of the different levels and rewards in it - I'm just about done opening up all of the squares the first adventure map and getting all of the weapons there.

By 10%. Notably, this 10% is applied even after you hit the damage cap, so they can transform some near-kills into KOs. By stacking them with No Healing/Defenseless and, optionally, with Vs. Dragon, you could look at something as high as a 30% increase in damage output.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 28, 2016

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Does the Strong Attack I skill actually effect the things that don't do any damage, like Cia filling her gauge or Young Link converting his special meter into magic?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dunban posted:

Does the Strong Attack I skill actually effect the things that don't do any damage, like Cia filling her gauge or Young Link converting his special meter into magic?

Nope!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dunban posted:

This, so don't bother with C1 for those two.

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Oh,. and I kind of forgot to actually answer your question, so here goes; these are how the skills stack up to each other in the endgame:

Strength+ Skills (Strong Attack+ Strength II+, Strength III+, etc.): Flat 10% percent increase to the damage you do. Notably ignores whatever damage cap is imposed on the mission you do, so these skills will actually always increase the damage of the C# you do. Pick the Strength #+ skills for the combos that are good/you favor. On an 8-slot weapon, around 4-5 of them should be enough. That said, if you're making "ultimate" Lv. 1 and 2 weapons, one or more of these skills + a Vs. Skill if you have one are the first to go.

Bonus Skills (EXP+, Material+, Slots+, etc.): Keep these on a weapon that's not your main weapon for getting A Ranks. That weapon will be used for grinding purposes. If your character is max level, you can probably omit EPX+, and Hearts+ may be a bit useless.

Element Skills (Light+, Darkness+, Fire+, etc.): Generally situational. Darkness+ and Light+ are probably the best Element skills, but the other three actually has some use on certain "ultimate" weapon builds.

KO Skills (Bombs+, Arrows+, Special+, etc., requires 1000 KOs to unlock): Situational. Like the Element Skills, some have use on certain "ultimate" weapon builds.

Vs. Skills (Vs. Legend, Vs. Time, Vs. Dragon, etc., requires 2000 KOs to unlock): Pretty situational, but unlike the Element and KO skills, two of them are generally good picks for "ultimate" weapon builds: Vs. Dragon and Vs. Undead, with the former being more favored than the later. That said, if you're making "ultimate" Lv. 1 and 2 weapons, these skills + one or more Strength skills are the first to go.

Special Skills (No Healing, Sturdy Feet, One-Hit Kill, etc., requires 3000 KOs to unlock): You want one skill from this category on your "ultimate" weapon. No Healing, Defenseless, and Compatriot are the standout skills in this category, with No Healing being favored over the other two because 1. you get to keep blocking as an option. 2. Adventure Mode missions usually have a cap on how much damage you may take which is typically far below the damage you need to take before you die and must start the mission over. Occasionally, Defenseless and Compatriot are picked for more specialized weapons. For "ultimate" Lv. 1 and 2 weapons, you still want this skill on your weapon.

Augment Skills (Regular Attack+, Special Attack+, Hasty Attacks, etc., requires 4000 KOs to unlock): You will always want two of these on your main weapon. Always take Finishing Blow+ (increases WPS damage, your most damaging attack against harder enemies), and most weapons will want Hasty Attacks as well. Some outliers include Sheik (who loses some combo options she could perform without HA, and while she gets new combos with HA equipped, pick Special Attack+ for her instead if you think this is a problem), Lana with her Book (like Sheik, she loses some combo options and gains some new ones if she picks Hasty Attacks, so pick Special Attack+ if you think this is an issue), and Young Link (whose gimmick means that he favors Focus Spirit+ over Hasty Attacks). For "ultimate" Lv. 1 and 2 weapons, you still want this skill on your weapon.

Legendary (requires 25000 KOs to unlock): This skill is pretty useless on your Lv. 3 weapon (on Wii U) or Lv. 4 weapon (on 3DS). That said, the lower Lv. weapons should always have this skill on them if you make them.

Here's some templates for how you should make your "ultimate" weapons if you're crazy enough to do it:

Max Lv. "ultimate" weapons

Strength+ Skill
Strength+ Skill
Strength+ Skill
Strength+ Skill
Strength+/Element/KO/Vs. Skill
Special Skill
Augment Skill
Augment Skill

Lv. 2 "ultimate" weapons

Strength+ Skill
Strength+ Skill
Strength+/Element/KO Skill
Special Skill
Augment Skill
Augment Skill
Legendary

Lv. 1 "ultimate" weapons

Strength+ Skill
Special Skill
Augment Skill
Augment Skill
Legendary

Lv. 3. "ultimate" weapons (Legends only)

Strength+ Skill
Strength+ Skill
Strength+ Skill
Strength+/Element/KO/Vs. Skill
Legendary
Special Skill
Augment Skill
Augment Skill

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

"Yes! I feel so STRONG!" - Linkle after murdering a child.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

In regards to items: bows, bombs etc. they don't do any damage besides activating the critical point (WP-something) right? Is there one that's the "best" to keep on general stand by or is more used/useful than the others. I find that switching them on the 3DS d-pad is slightly inconvenient. I've kept the hookshot for the most part partly because I don't like Aerofols, and also since it has the most tangible movement benefit.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

They do a little damage and have some kind of effect, IE bombs will launch dudes and arrows will stun briefly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the bow is the easiest way to cheese 'all attacks are devestating' stages.

And if you go a whole stage without using a regular attack you get a medal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boomerangs dizzy which is by far the most useful of the abilities since it can take a general out of the fight for a bit which is great for quiz fights

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

In regards to items: bows, bombs etc. they don't do any damage besides activating the critical point (WP-something) right? Is there one that's the "best" to keep on general stand by or is more used/useful than the others. I find that switching them on the 3DS d-pad is slightly inconvenient. I've kept the hookshot for the most part partly because I don't like Aerofols, and also since it has the most tangible movement benefit.

I prefer the bow the most - a straight shot from a distance if WPG comes up, it fucks with Poes if they charge their big attack and you tag them (they discharge fire in all directions that hurts enemies and cannot hurt you, then expose WPG), and chain-spamming Light Arrows is an instant-win button against named units (dodge to cancel the animation as soon as the arrows fire, then fire again)

I've never managed to successfully use the bombs against moblins, and I can clear screens with most characters almost as efficiently as superbombs anyway. Boomerang I just underuse, and Hookshot hasn't helped me with anything at all.

ImpAtom posted:

Boomerangs dizzy which is by far the most useful of the abilities since it can take a general out of the fight for a bit which is great for quiz fights
Yes, boomerang is the best by far for those stages

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 28, 2016

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Hm, I didn't expect the Termina map to unlock at the same time as the Twilight map. Are the two about the same in terms of difficulty?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Dunban posted:

Hm, I didn't expect the Termina map to unlock at the same time as the Twilight map. Are the two about the same in terms of difficulty?

I hear termina is about 10 levels easier, at least on the WiiU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

many johnnys posted:

I hear termina is about 10 levels easier, at least on the WiiU

I'm talking about Legends.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Personally, I don't find there to be a difference between the two. I actually did the Ganon fight in the Termina map before the Twilight one (though that was because I didn't notice I'd unlocked the latter; did it right after). I say choose which map to focus on based on the level 4 weapons you wanna unlock first. Also, switch to the other one if you get stuck on a hard stage or just get bored with the gimmick (a luxury not afforded the first 3 maps).

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I have to say, the Don't Get HIt missions on the Master Quest map are some hot bullshit.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dunban posted:

I'm talking about Legends.

Termina may actually be a bit harder than Twilight in Legends, but not by much.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I've finally unlocked Defeat The Demon King in Adventure Mode, but I'm having trouble keeping my keeps from getting wrecked while keeping my allies alive, and I haven't even had Ganon actually show up yet. Any general tips for this map?

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Question: If I already own HW on WiiU (with much of the DLC), and have a regular 3DS, is it worth me getting Legends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've heard it doesn't run all that nicely on an regular 3DS. I only have a New 3DS on which it has run without an issue, but yeah.

• Locked thread