Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My favourite start is Novgorod, but I pretty much always do an England game when a new dlc comes out. There's just so many ways you can play England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

what did they do to france exactly where they end up eating all of northern spain unless im in a position to gently caress with them

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I miss steam chatting with my best friend Dickhead while we simultaneously play the same country after a new dlc drops. I wish I had a girlfriend.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

what did they do to france exactly where they end up eating all of northern spain unless im in a position to gently caress with them

They now start with the highest development in the game

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Yolomancer posted:

They now start with the highest development in the game

I mean I guess they seemed to be underperforming before the new patch but I don't know if this is the way to go...

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I miss steam chatting with my best friend Dickhead while we simultaneously play the same country after a new dlc drops. I wish I had a girlfriend.

Same here.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

In Training posted:

Oman seems like they'd be assfucked by the Ottomans pretty fast unless you escape to the East African coast.

Make friends with the Ottomans, instead.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EU4 just downloaded in less than a minute. My insane pace

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I only lost one province to the Ottomans and then colonized southwards for a few decades but now they're back and they want 20 provinces from me, and I'm getting infected by a Migration event where my entire nation is reverting to ooga booga religion.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

didn't seem to work for Lawrence

*coughs rhythmically*

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

In Training posted:

I only lost one province to the Ottomans and then colonized southwards for a few decades but now they're back and they want 20 provinces from me, and I'm getting infected by a Migration event where my entire nation is reverting to ooga booga religion.

First: racist. Second: the Ottomans' mission will go away eventually, just hunker down and tough it out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The interface and amount of options in this game are insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

The interface and amount of options in this game are insane

Its an overwhelming UI for sure. You'll have to dig up the classic That Feel Wen You Master a UI after 20 hours thread

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The tutorial had me playing as England and attacking my ancestral homeland of Ireland. My dad would go insane if he saw this.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

The tutorial had me playing as England and attacking my ancestral homeland of Ireland. My dad would go insane if he saw this.

Rofl

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let's set date and time for the multiplayer map because it sounds fun. Seems like a perfect event for the Friday Night Motherfucker to make an appearance.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I survived 3 wars from various Central African nations trying to claim my colonies and even made some money out of it but the ottomans are back with a vengeance. I took a break for now but they're about to take away most of my norther territories, ah well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm determined to see this file through to the end because I'm now about exactly halfway through and I want to reach the end date for once in my life.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

I mean I guess they seemed to be underperforming before the new patch but I don't know if this is the way to go...

Well to be fair it's not just the development change. It's also that Aragon now tends to rival Castile more often, which means that not only does France not have a united Iberian peninsula to deal with, but it can also opportunistically make grabs into Castile and Aragon when they are distracted fighting each other. On top of that Austria seems less likely to rival France, which means they tend to become allies. That combined with the fact that despite the changes, Austria still seems to be the most common beneficiary of the Burgundian Inheritance means France has highest development at game start, a strong ally (an the Emperor no less) to its east and a fractured Iberia to its south. All that leaves is England, who sometimes makes gains against France when it is distracted with Burgundy or Iberia, but most of the time loses those gains and then some within 50-100 years of game start.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Btw for those dudes who mentioned a Netherlands game, Brabant is the poo poo. You start with more provinces than any other minor but more importantly Antwerpen starts assigned to the Burghers and once you conquer Holland you can give it to them as well. If you then manage to grab London (which is definitely doable 50-100 years into game start) you will own pretty much all the trade in the English Channel.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing the Dutch is kind of overrated but I think everyone should do it at least once. It's one of my favorite places to play. And despite Dutch ideas being Slightly Different England and having the OP-rear end Dutch Republic government type, you can do the England thing of making your borders secure and then doing whatever you want in the game. The only real difference is that the start is much harder since you have to free yourself from Burgundy or at least fight them for a lot of the Dutch land

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

also the Dutch get an event which gives them a PU cassus belli on Britain which owns

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Playing the Dutch is kind of overrated but I think everyone should do it at least once. It's one of my favorite places to play. And despite Dutch ideas being Slightly Different England and having the OP-rear end Dutch Republic government type, you can do the England thing of making your borders secure and then doing whatever you want in the game. The only real difference is that the start is much harder since you have to free yourself from Burgundy or at least fight them for a lot of the Dutch land

From game start you can usually get some combination of England, France, Austria, Scotland, Denmark, Castile and Aragon to support your independence, so breaking free is trivial, especially if you wait until Burgundy declares war on someone else first. You can then usually take a province or two in the peace deal, depending on how daring you're feeling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's cool that the second ottoman declared war on me 10 nations I had never heard of before just dropped money in my bank

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

Let's set date and time for the multiplayer map because it sounds fun. Seems like a perfect event for the Friday Night Motherfucker to make an appearance.

I really want to do this but I have a poo poo ton of sex scheduled for the weekend.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think Netherlands is harder mid game because you really have to kill France if you wanna be left alone in Europe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think Netherlands is harder mid game because you really have to kill France if you wanna be left alone in Europe.

On the other hand this is usually easy because of your massive income due to English Channel trade and ridiculously high development provinces. And you can usually get a good ally to fight France with.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

On the other hand this is usually easy because of your massive income due to English Channel trade and ridiculously high development provinces. And you can usually get a good ally to fight France with.

Yeah but fighting France is always a pain in the rear end. Like theyre always gonna be pretty strong until you beat them down entirely.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah but fighting France is always a pain in the rear end. Like theyre always gonna be pretty strong until you beat them down entirely.

France can gently caress right off.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Let's be real here, one of the best mapgame feels is destroying the nearest lucky nation.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I spend over half of my income on interest because I'm a completely piss poor nation. I have a huge chunk of the map but each square is like 6 Africans spinning wool for net loss.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That's me when I played Russia.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

In Training posted:

It's cool that the second ottoman declared war on me 10 nations I had never heard of before just dropped money in my bank

best change of the last patch

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

uh

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm the Mussolini with the Groucho Marx glasses and mustache.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

I spend over half of my income on interest because I'm a completely piss poor nation. I have a huge chunk of the map but each square is like 6 Africans spinning wool for net loss.

Ok cool, I was worried I was just bad at the game after like a year or whatever hiatus when I couldn't make Ethiopia anywhere near solvent, or have any money coming in at all unless I put army maintenance at 0% and even then just barely.

I think I'm going to put this save on hiatus, it has the potential for a really fun start, a lot of what I like about the India starts but with more immediate dangers and less resources to handle them, but I think I'm going to try and learn the two or three major patches worth of changes from the last time I played with an easier country and then come back to Ethiopia.

I still don't get how sailors work, I took two ports and still had zero sailors and none coming in. Unless they're locked by tech or something which would make sense if East African tech can't build ships at the start or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also had 0 sailors for the longest time even with coastal regions but I think it was a combination of high Autonomy and low production there because eventually they started producing results. Also yeah in peace time the only way I make money is put the army maintenance to 0, mothball every fort and make sure I don't have any missionaries around. I can support one colony as well but two will put me in the red even with everything else basically empty. Oh and 3 stability

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

i ccant do this weekend, next weekend maybe?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Playing as Austria is super frustrating now because breaking an alliance causes a 5 year truce and its impossible to claim thrones in that time. gently caress you hungary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

breaking an alliance causes a 5 year truce

That's stupid.