Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Shawn posted:

I think they've come out and said it will be a new character because obviously what Marvel needs is more Quasars and obviously a Kree lesbian doesn't have enough political cache.
they'd just kill her again, I'm sure :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Is it wrong that I kinda want it to be a black female queer agender handicapped Quasar, just to see some of the usual suspects combust with rage?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

Is it wrong that I kinda want it to be a black female queer agender handicapped Quasar, just to see some of the usual suspects combust with rage?

Nope

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you've been reading Standoff, there's realistically only a few people it could be. There's Rick Jones, Kobik if she's able to be turned around, the SHIELD Agent that was in charge of Kobik (kind of how Wendell Vaughn got it in the first place), or less likely some other superhero/villain present that comes out of nowhere to get the Quantum Bands. I mean they could make a go at Rick Jones being another different hero. But I'm guessing it's either Kobik or her handler.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

If you've been reading Standoff, there's realistically only a few people it could be. There's Rick Jones, Kobik if she's able to be turned around, the SHIELD Agent that was in charge of Kobik (kind of how Wendell Vaughn got it in the first place), or less likely some other superhero/villain present that comes out of nowhere to get the Quantum Bands. I mean they could make a go at Rick Jones being another different hero. But I'm guessing it's either Kobik or her handler.

Kobik is going to be in Thunderbolts, if she falls into Kraven's trap!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was thinking the other day that Avril Kincaid got a little too much of an introduction, but assumed she was going to be supporting cast going forward in the Thunderbolts series or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Whatever happened to that girl who was friends with Drax? She should be the new Quasar.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Lurdiak posted:

Whatever happened to that girl who was friends with Drax? She should be the new Quasar.

Cammi. She appeared in and apparently survived the terrible Avengers Arena.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like I'll forget to ask this tomorrow after Angela is actually out so I'll ask it now Is the Leah that is living with Angela and Serah the one from Battleworld? She says she's alone because Magik isn't there, and she didn't reform like she did, and we know the two of them ran off to rule the demons beyond the Shield in battleworld. I guess a being like Leah would be different than a regular human, in that she would remember what happened in battleworld

team overhead smash posted:

Cammi. She appeared in and apparently survived the terrible Avengers Arena.

And was in the worst Spec Ops for Avengers Alliance ever, and they're generally really good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wanderer posted:

I was thinking the other day that Avril Kincaid got a little too much of an introduction, but assumed she was going to be supporting cast going forward in the Thunderbolts series or something.

She was headed to the museum looking for a special weapon.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Retailer forum leak confirms this is indeed Quasar.

What happened with the new daughter of Blade book? I want me some black Buffy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope this means Wendell retired and went and hooked up with Ikon.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The book is out, and the new 'origin' is hilarious.

Avril Kincaid makes her way to THE LIBRARY and is looking for THE WEAPON and THE LIBRARIAN goes "sup are you looking for these?" and pulls out the quantum bands. THE LIBRARIAN is Wendell Vaughn, who off-panel became convinced that as Quasar he had too much power and it was corrupting him, so he voluntarily submitted to being part of Pleasant Hill. Then he just gives up the bands to Avril who immediately saves the day with them. In the epilogue he's hanging out in a three piece suit trying to train her to make light constructs but he already knows soon she'll be the best Quasar.

Legacy characters and representation are cool and all, but this entire book felt like the most 'moving things around because someone asked us to and we can't be bothered to come up with a good story around the moves' thing ever.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe she can be in Carol's movie and tie in to cosmic stuff.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Ugh!

My compulsion to collect all Quasar appearances is being tested...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guys. Guys. Ultimates #6 is loving AWESOME

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Not a word. I'm going to read it right now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just looking at the cover for the next issue of Patsy Walker makes me love it even more. :allears:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't say anything else about it. Punching Order in the loving face. Also their whole exchange was great. Them trying to tell Galactus he can't be what he wants and him crossing his arms in such a teenager "Nu-uh!" fashion.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Legacy characters and representation are cool and all, but this entire book felt like the most 'moving things around because someone asked us to and we can't be bothered to come up with a good story around the moves' thing ever.

It does seem like something they tossed in at the last second, doesn't it.

I don't have a problem with the idea on the face of it, but most of this Quasar thing is stuff that could and should have been built up to, rather than popping up out of nowhere in a single issue.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yep. Read this now if you aren't. Every issue has been a treat!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ultimates was sweet. Al Ewing is definitely carrying the Hickman high-concept torch.

And I am officially rad at being squirrel girl!

site fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 27, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman is the opposite of high-concept.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Perhaps I am using the term incorrectly then, I mean like the story taking place on a really high level cosmically, or whatever. It's dealing with outside the universe and the nature of reality itself. If that makes any more sense.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

After reading today's Ultimates, I don't think Hickman's necessarily the best comparison. Ewing's certainly taking off from his recently-established cosmology, but the sheer scope of it is reminding me more of something like really old-school 1970s Dr. Strange and Defenders stories, with Englehart and Gerber and early Jim Starlin.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All I know is it was brilliant and that's what really matters. Best bit of facepunching since Judge Fear got cocky thinking he could scare Joe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Perhaps I am using the term incorrectly then, I mean like the story taking place on a really high level cosmically, or whatever. It's dealing with outside the universe and the nature of reality itself. If that makes any more sense.

High concept refers to things you can describe the hook of easily and simply. Off-duty cop fights terrorists is high concept. Whatever was going on in Star Trek The Motion Picture isn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Will Ferrell movies are technically all high concept.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lurdiak posted:

High concept refers to things you can describe the hook of easily and simply. Off-duty cop fights terrorists is high concept. Whatever was going on in Star Trek The Motion Picture isn't.

Wow, I apparently had no idea what that phrase meant. I always assumed it meant highfalutin' heady stuff that at least has the pretension of being thought-provoking or meaningful. Turns out it's kinda the opposite. Welp.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It should mean "poo poo you think when you're blazed out of your mind."

high concept

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It should mean "poo poo you think when you're blazed out of your mind."

high concept

What if the earth crashed into another earth and that like, destroyed entire universes, man. Like the multiverse is like a big computer system and the servers are shutting down, man! And there's nothing we can do to stop it except, like, kill other universes.

NmareBfly posted:

Wow, I apparently had no idea what that phrase meant. I always assumed it meant highfalutin' heady stuff that at least has the pretension of being thought-provoking or meaningful. Turns out it's kinda the opposite. Welp.

Most people get it wrong.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

What if the earth crashed into another earth and that like, destroyed entire universes, man. Like the multiverse is like a big computer system and the servers are shutting down, man! And there's nothing we can do to stop it except, like, kill other universes.

If you're describing things in bad faith you can make literally anything in comics sound stupid.

What if, like, the ultimate good guy turned out to be secretly evil and destroyed everything by making up a giant psychic squid, which he then blamed on his naked blue god buddy, and was only found out by a psychopath rapist murderer? What then, huh?!

What if a crazy guy who decided to walk around being a vampire after his parents got killed got old? What then?!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, I was under this impression as well.

Whoops!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was just bringing back the conversation to Hickman's stuff and not making a value judgement, but ok.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

I was just bringing back the conversation to Hickman's stuff and not making a value judgement, but ok.

Don't play that game. You absolutely were being patronizing and reductive to throw shade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well, I guess you would know better than me.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Lurdiak just has the posting equivalent of Resting Bitch Face

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

This...is so simple, why can't other people teach it this simply?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Toxxupation posted:

If you're describing things in bad faith you can make literally anything in comics sound stupid.

What if, like, the ultimate good guy turned out to be secretly evil and destroyed everything by making up a giant psychic squid, which he then blamed on his naked blue god buddy, and was only found out by a psychopath rapist murderer? What then, huh?!

What if a crazy guy who decided to walk around being a vampire after his parents got killed got old? What then?!

Lol way to be a defensive little baby.

Maybe someday Hickman-chan will notice you and I will be the silly one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So do you and Lurdiak like coordinate offsite, or...?

• Locked thread