Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I like him on House. He should have been at least a recurring character. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Why is the singing part necessary? In a musical? :psyduck:

No but really you can just go read a book on the subject if you don't like musicals or download a documentary

Yeah documentary sounds right up my alley. Get Ken burns on this poo poo!

Speaking of documentaries, I watched "only the dead see the end of war" last night. Pretty good stuff, and seeing that most of you should have HBO, you should check it out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I liked this episode, didn't have tons of laughs, but it informed me of something I had no knowledge of

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I have to say that this episode annoyed me because of the topic more than anything. I hate how everyone hates tax breaks and the "they took our jobs" loving attitude of sending jobs overseas and Puerto Rico does it then we're supposed to feel bad for them when they have our jobs, then we're supposed to feel even more bad when we take them back loving which oen do you want america.

Also Puerto Rico doesn't pay federal taxes, just payroll taxes and even on that they don't pay until they make something absurd like 40k dollars, and universal health care, and they spent themselves into a dumb mess that the're currently in.

They need a bail out, I get john is asking for a patch fix but they need a loving bailout like crazy. They also shouldn't be tied to america if they want to pull off stunts like this.

Did I mention pretty much nobody pays taxes in Puerto Rico?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I don't mean this in an "I'm too cool for Hamilton" way or anything but it struck me as really weird when they showed a context-free 20 second clip that might as well have been anyone rapping about anything, and John Oliver was like SEE??? gently caress IT'S SO GOOD!!!

I guess it makes more sense knowing LMM was actually there though, John Oliver has been known to oversell a compliment

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Stumiester posted:

I think that you have to give the Hamilton album the time it deserves - sit down with the lyrics, read along and listen to the whole thing in one shot. Without the visuals it can be difficult to follow without the lyrics, it really is pretty amazing.

Its not simply a hiphop musical - its a musical with straight up broadway belters (Burn, You'll be back), dirty club rap (The Reynolds pamphlet), perfectly crafted pop songs (Wait for it, Schyler Sisters), upbeat 80s inflected party rap (My Shot) etc etc. The most impressive part of it is its incredible diversity of styles and approaches. Like the best music, every song feels like it has about 10 ideas good enough to underpin a whole other song.

I'm doing this and finished Act 1. I need to take a break but it's really, really good. I love musicals but I generally don't like rap/hiphop and it took me a few songs to warm up to it, but now it's awesome.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Asiina posted:

I love musicals but I generally don't like rap/hiphop and it took me a few songs to warm up to it, but now it's awesome.

That was almost literally the exact reaction of my father -- a 60-something white guy. So yeah, just because you're not a fan of the specific music genre that it's largely associated with doesn't mean you'll dislike Hamilton.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Veskit posted:

I have to say that this episode annoyed me because of the topic more than anything. I hate how everyone hates tax breaks and the "they took our jobs" loving attitude of sending jobs overseas and Puerto Rico does it then we're supposed to feel bad for them when they have our jobs, then we're supposed to feel even more bad when we take them back loving which oen do you want america.

Also Puerto Rico doesn't pay federal taxes, just payroll taxes and even on that they don't pay until they make something absurd like 40k dollars, and universal health care, and they spent themselves into a dumb mess that the're currently in.

They need a bail out, I get john is asking for a patch fix but they need a loving bailout like crazy. They also shouldn't be tied to america if they want to pull off stunts like this.

If all those poor people without jobs would just pay more taxes all of their problems would go away.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Veskit posted:

You do realize they did that to get people to come and get some income into the commonwealth? Also how can they be taking our jobs when they are American citizens?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

You do realize they did that to get people to come and get some income into the commonwealth? Also how can they be taking our jobs when they are American citizens?

Right and why did we cut section 936? To help the commonwealth? To keep jobs in PR?

socialsecurity posted:

If all those poor people without jobs would just pay more taxes all of their problems would go away.

Someone should pay taxes. Someone and yes that includes people making 20-40k a year

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also was this the one where they talked about that stupider than poo poo port rule that PR has to follow to "import" good into the country? I get my sources mixed up.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

I'm doing this and finished Act 1. I need to take a break but it's really, really good. I love musicals but I generally don't like rap/hiphop and it took me a few songs to warm up to it, but now it's awesome.

I finished it and now I'm crying.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Statehood or independence are really the only ways to solve the problems facing PR in the long-term. The solution is not amending Chapter 9. The provision in Chapter 9 against PR can be appealed very easily by making it the 51st state. The prevailing reason PR's some of citizens are voting against statehood is because they dont want to pay federal taxes and they think they'll bear the brunt of their debt burden. The US should bail out the island so the debt issue can be solved, and extend tax breaks to the citizens for awhile. Of course, neither major party wants them to be added as a state so it wont happen.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Veskit posted:

Right and why did we cut section 936? To help the commonwealth? To keep jobs in PR?

Someone should pay taxes. Someone and yes that includes people making 20-40k a year

Did you miss the part where almost half the population is below the poverty line? Yes, a lot of things need to be fixed in Puerto Rico, but it's not the citizens' faults. The US set up their economic rules to benefit the US, some corrupt PR politicians didn't do much to make it better, then the US kept making it worse, and now lovely US business people are preying on them.

Asiina posted:

Yeah, that'll happen every time.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Practical Demon posted:

Did you miss the part where almost half the population is below the poverty line? Yes, a lot of things need to be fixed in Puerto Rico, but it's not the citizens' faults. The US set up their economic rules to benefit the US, some corrupt PR politicians didn't do much to make it better, then the US kept making it worse, and now lovely US business people are preying on them.

Yeah, that'll happen every time.

Dumbshoe what is the poverty line amount? If you look it up you'll see I didn't miss it

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Asiina posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Its Quiet Up Town, and then the gut punch of "live another 50 years/the orphanage" in the last song... So good.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Asiina posted:

Don't worry, that happens to nearly everyone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Veskit posted:

Dumbshoe what is the poverty line amount? If you look it up you'll see I didn't miss it

45% of the population is below the poverty line and the median income is 19,000

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I cried at the end of Field of Dreams, "hey dad, wanna have a catch"

Gets me every loving time!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

45% of the population is below the poverty line and the median income is 19,000

Is that below or above 20k?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Veskit posted:

Is that below or above 20k?

This is a really odd thread to be asking for help with your homework.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tempo 119 posted:

I don't mean this in an "I'm too cool for Hamilton" way or anything but it struck me as really weird when they showed a context-free 20 second clip that might as well have been anyone rapping about anything
Congratulations on being the whitest white dude I've ever heard

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Congratulations on being the whitest white dude I've ever heard

Yes if only I wasn't so so white I could see a short clip of a show and know what it's about. You've hit the nail on the head.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Hamilton is really great but I can totally understand the hype rubbing some people the wrong way at this stage.

All I can say is I thought I would never buy CDs again but I had to have this soundtrack for my car. Doubt I will ever see it live, nor do I feel I need to really.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've seen a few of the clips of Hamilton, but I'm not really grabbed or anything. I guess it helps a bunch of people get an interest in history if they don't have one already?

I guess Hamilton is also a great guy to follow to show how much the founding fathers hated eachother's guts. He's the reason for the part of the constitution that stipulates how Ted Cruz isn't eligible for president.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've seen a few of the clips of Hamilton, but I'm not really grabbed or anything. I guess it helps a bunch of people get an interest in history if they don't have one already?

I guess Hamilton is also a great guy to follow to show how much the founding fathers hated eachother's guts. He's the reason for the part of the constitution that stipulates how Ted Cruz isn't eligible for president.

The clips didn't really do anything for me, but listening to the whole production was great. It's like watching clips of a movie vs watching the whole thing.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Tempo 119 posted:

Yes if only I wasn't so so white I could see a short clip of a show and know what it's about. You've hit the nail on the head.

If you had a better tan you'd understand.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tempo 119 posted:

You could have just said "I dont mean understand this urban 'rap' fad".

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You could have just said "I dont mean understand this urban 'rap' fad".

drat colored kids and their jungle music! :bahgawd:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Harton posted:

If you had a better tan you'd understand.

*climbs into tanning bed* whooaa the visual spectacle of Hamilton is opening up before my eyes

Edit: no show this week?

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 1, 2016

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

*climbs into tanning bed* whooaa the visual spectacle of Hamilton is opening up before my eyes

Doesn't seem like it. I hope you manage to survive this upcoming week despite being outed as "white" by this thread.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Tempo 119 posted:

Would spray tanning make you be able to speak fluent douchebag? I've learned so much from this discussion already.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yes.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I'd heard the name Hamilton a lot, but only checked out the album on Spotify this week.

There are very few things in life I am sure of, but I am fairly certain these songs will he stuck in my head for the rest of the year. It really is something else.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

richardfun posted:

I'd heard the name Hamilton a lot, but only checked out the album on Spotify this week.

There are very few things in life I am sure of, but I am fairly certain these songs will he stuck in my head for the rest of the year. It really is something else.

God damnit, now I'm actually starting to get curious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Exclusive web content!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5E7cG54VoA

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Guy's such a douche his muscles look smug.

Such a Guido his 4 of his abdominal muscles banded together to form a V pack.

Still, he could probably still appreciate the context of a 20 second "rapping" clip.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

... OK, so I'm going to be "that guy" and just throw this out there: he didn't mention 9/11. I mean, I don't like being the guy who brings up 9/11, but when recapping the events of the last 17 years, that's one that I'm pretty sure you'd want to at least mention.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tarlibone posted:

... OK, so I'm going to be "that guy" and just throw this out there: he didn't mention 9/11. I mean, I don't like being the guy who brings up 9/11, but when recapping the events of the last 17 years, that's one that I'm pretty sure you'd want to at least mention.

Yeah I totally agree that when bringing up a bunch of lighthearted funny changes between the 90s and now that it's incomprehensible to not bring up a few terrorists flying into a couple of buildings, killing a few thousand people, and giving collective anxiety to the whole world. I would have totally cut out the destiny's child joke to fit a 9/11 joke in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

tarlibone posted:

You do realize this was meant as a joke and not a serious retrospective on important events of the last 17 years. I'm pretty sure the cicadas give no fucks either way.

• Locked thread