Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Trast posted:

Welp some random flashpoint introduction just spoiled a bit of the imperial agent story on accident. :smith:

Really? I don't remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
was inactive for a while; posting for reinvite

ingame: Sweetdaddybear

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've been away for a bit doing unimportant stuff like work and looking for other work. I'll log on sometime soon and adjust guild permissions to let more people invite. With the higher cap, we should have more room for a while at least, so log in. Or don't, whatever. Just have fun with it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What do you mean by legacy unlocks for travel perks though? I didn't realize we had to pay to unlock specific quick travel locations on planets. Man, who designed this?
There's no paying for quick travel locations, just for certain legacy perks (and you can pay either with in-game credits or cartel coins, if you're so inclined).

quote:

Hmm this all doesn't sound good about KOTFE, lol. I guess I'm going to force myself to finish the 8 class quest lines first before moving on. There's still the origin bundle I can add once the Ama one expires, though I don't know if 5 months is enough time to level and complete 8 toons.
Your mileage may vary. KotFE has limited replay value since it doesn't have class-specific missions or branching paths, but I'd say there's more character development than in any of the game's main storylines, and there's a fair amount of low-combat / high-dialogue parts to break up the monotony of grinding your way from point A to point B just to grind some more enemies. I like it, and would argue that it's worth playing through at least once (up to this point, anyway; still a few chapters to be released).

quote:

I need to find out what this class story XP boost is.
You get a whole lot of extra XP just for class missions. Don't need to do anything for it, except maybe be a subscriber? Not sure about that.

quote:

Also, is a total noob, first-timer like me welcome in the guild? I have a stupid character name that uses the sci-fi apostrophe, and also contains a typo (I created it when I was drunk okay), so I'll accept any insults gracefully.
Having a character in TNG named Loveboat and another in Goon Squad (Republic guild) named Revolting-hippy, I can assure you that nobody will mind.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thanks for the tips. I had no idea I could actually do things like lower the cooldown, and so I am definitely going to seek that out. Appreciate the tips :)

What do you mean by legacy unlocks for travel perks though? I didn't realize we had to pay to unlock specific quick travel locations on planets. Man, who designed this?

You can buy perks that let you travel from anywhere in the galaxy and to a specific planet. There are like 10 of these. They have 1 hour cooldown if i recall correctly.
There is another one that lets you travel from anywhere in the galaxy and to your ship (technically your ship is always at the spaceport on the planet you are currently on). This one has a 20 minute cooldown i believe.
Finally you have quick travel, which lets you teleport around on a planet, you can buy perks to reduce the cooldown to 4 minutes, to 2 minutes and finally no cooldown at all. I found having it on a 4 minute cooldown let me use it every time i needed it.
All of these perks require unlocking with ingame credits or Cartel Coins, and they become accessible for unlocking at certain Legacy levels. Your first character will not have many of these accessible due to the legacy level (more so than the credit cost) but further characters should be able to unlock more and more of them.

Here is a leveling tip:
If you do all the class story and all the planet story on your first character it will be around level 55-58 by the time you finish Chapter 3 (The vanilla game). Instead i recommend that you do every 3rd planet's storyline on your first character then the ones you didn't do on your second and third charcters. The class storyline grants a tad too little exp to be able to keep up with the planet levels so you need to mix in a bit of planet storyline quests (or heroic quests*). TO keep your motivation up for further characters and keep things fresh i therefore recommend you do not do all the planet stories on the first character (like i did :v)

*Heroic quests are group quests (easily soloable now that companions are powerful and can heal or tank for you). Every planet has a few of these quests (some planets have like 3, others as much as 8) and they are all repeatable once per week. Completing these quests give a good chunk of exp and fairly decent loot. Regardless of how you end up playing through the storyline i recommend doing these heroic quests a couple of times while you level, like at level 15ish, 30ish and 40ish at least.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 27, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dulfy's 4.0 influence guide says that if i romance nadia grell, she'll love courting items. i did this and she is still reacting to my courting gifts with "like" level rewards. annoying.

anyone know what's up?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

Really? I don't remember that.

Probably went into the Forged Alliances/Shadow of Revan story arc before finishing the Agent story, if I had to guess.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cams posted:

dulfy's 4.0 influence guide says that if i romance nadia grell, she'll love courting items. i did this and she is still reacting to my courting gifts with "like" level rewards. annoying.

anyone know what's up?

Medullah posted:

Oh ouch, Courting is the worst gift type to buy.

A) They only work for romance companions and a few outliers.

B) Even then... They've been broken since 4.0 so they don't even work on romance companions.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
the free jetpack owns

cams
Mar 28, 2003

oh, cool. i didn't buy any but i have a TON sitting around cause i didn't have a use for them. still don't!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

cams posted:

oh, cool. i didn't buy any but i have a TON sitting around cause i didn't have a use for them. still don't!
You can give them to Nico Okarr if you've got him.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

You can give them to Nico Okarr if you've got him.

Dude is the biggest gift sink. He loves everything.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cythereal posted:

Probably went into the Forged Alliances/Shadow of Revan story arc before finishing the Agent story, if I had to guess.

Yeah I think it was this. I was just walking around the space station, say the new quest prompt, and immediately the npc spits out a line that spoils the ending.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Just got to 60, holy poo poo 25 is an insanely small quest log limit for how many weekly/dailies you have past 60.

edit: once i hit 65, i'm pmuch done doing random warzones for a while, right? cause then there will be all level 65 people with level 65 gear?

cams fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 27, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Man, heroic star fortresses are really tedious when you're a solo tank

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Colonial Air Force posted:

Man, heroic star fortresses are really tedious when you're a solo tank

When I was doing them with my Assassin in tank spec I changed into mostly DPS gear and it went much faster. But really just best to do them as DPS anyway

cams
Mar 28, 2003

can't open 61+ heroic rewards until you get deep into the kotfe story

great prank bioware

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cams posted:

can't open 61+ heroic rewards until you get deep into the kotfe story

great prank bioware

No but they're bind to legacy so you only need one toon to finish chapter 9, then you can send all of the crates to him.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Medullah posted:

When I was doing them with my Assassin in tank spec I changed into mostly DPS gear and it went much faster. But really just best to do them as DPS anyway

I hate switching, I forget what I'm doing. Plus, then I gotta setup my bars over and over again, don't I?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I hate switching, I forget what I'm doing. Plus, then I gotta setup my bars over and over again, don't I?

Yeah I just get used to the moves that are replaced when you respec going to the spot the moves they replace go. For example, on my Assassin Dark Ward is replaced with Creeping Terror on my quick bar and Wither is replaced with Death Field. Force Pull is replaced with Demolish. Most of my toons have just one or two things to move.

The exception is Operative going from heal to DPS and vice versa. That's a giant pain.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I thought they finally added universal bindings?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I thought they finally added universal bindings?

They added saved hotkeys but that's only "quick bar 3, slot 4 is Q" for example. Still no saved button layouts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cams posted:

Just got to 60, holy poo poo 25 is an insanely small quest log limit for how many weekly/dailies you have past 60.

edit: once i hit 65, i'm pmuch done doing random warzones for a while, right? cause then there will be all level 65 people with level 65 gear?

Oh meant to reply to this. PvP all you want. Your stats will be best until you get PvP gear if you're wearing 190 or lower rates gear thanks to bolster, but you'll get the starter set of 204 PvP gear in a week if you do all the dailies and the weekly.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

No but they're bind to legacy so you only need one toon to finish chapter 9, then you can send all of the crates to him.
yeah, but i was planning on playing through Rise of the Hutts and Shadow of Revan before i did any KOTFE stuff.

if i just skip all that and do kotfe stuff, can i go back and do that later? cause i was under the impression i could not.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

They added saved hotkeys but that's only "quick bar 3, slot 4 is Q" for example. Still no saved button layouts.

I don't understand the difference? Between this and the GUI editor, doesn't that mean you can template everything?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I don't understand the difference? Between this and the GUI editor, doesn't that mean you can template everything?

It doesn't save what moves go where, there's no way to force Wither to go to Quickbar 1, slot 8 for example, when you respec

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I ran my powertech through a heroic star fortress a couple weeks ago, which was when I found out that you can't use the buff terminal without at least rank 3 alliance influence. It turned into a rather brutal One for All run with a rank 1 influence Yuun (since all companions with any sort of influence were in the middle of crafting Invasion Forces). That probably would have been easier had I switched to tank spec honestly. On the plus side when I finally reached the exarch it turns out +15% run speed completely trivializes the fight.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Yup. According to a couple of ex-Bioware employees (so take this with a grain of salt) that's why a bunch of planned post-launch features, mainly oriented around companions (like new companion quests and same-sex companion romances), got canned: EA decided the game was done and ready for launch, no need to worry about adding new features until a buyable expansion.

I always felt they dropped the ball by not expanding the New Empire and Star Cabal storylines. Both had the potential to be way more interesting than the Dread Masters.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I've noticed that my boosted-60 character doesn't count as having completed her class's storyline. Can I go back and run through it with her, or do I need to get a different character of the same class to level 50?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Besesoth posted:

I've noticed that my boosted-60 character doesn't count as having completed her class's storyline. Can I go back and run through it with her, or do I need to get a different character of the same class to level 50?

The latter.

They didn't want people using 60 boosts to get that credit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Plus, all the companions disappear, so it'd be kind of weird.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

It doesn't save what moves go where, there's no way to force Wither to go to Quickbar 1, slot 8 for example, when you respec

Oh, respec. Thought you were talking about between characters and wasn't sure what you meant.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The latter.

i am really surprised at how hard they drew the line between pre-kotfe and kotfe content. i like the boldness, despite the inconveniences. the lack of documentation is real annoying though, but since there are TONS of tooltips, codexes, and loading screen tips that are insanely out of date, i don't care too much.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

You can buy perks that let you travel from anywhere in the galaxy and to a specific planet. There are like 10 of these. They have 1 hour cooldown if i recall correctly.
There is another one that lets you travel from anywhere in the galaxy and to your ship (technically your ship is always at the spaceport on the planet you are currently on). This one has a 20 minute cooldown i believe.
Finally you have quick travel, which lets you teleport around on a planet, you can buy perks to reduce the cooldown to 4 minutes, to 2 minutes and finally no cooldown at all. I found having it on a 4 minute cooldown let me use it every time i needed it.
All of these perks require unlocking with ingame credits or Cartel Coins, and they become accessible for unlocking at certain Legacy levels. Your first character will not have many of these accessible due to the legacy level (more so than the credit cost) but further characters should be able to unlock more and more of them.

Thanks for the explanation.

Ineptitude posted:

Here is a leveling tip:
If you do all the class story and all the planet story on your first character it will be around level 55-58 by the time you finish Chapter 3 (The vanilla game). Instead i recommend that you do every 3rd planet's storyline on your first character then the ones you didn't do on your second and third charcters. The class storyline grants a tad too little exp to be able to keep up with the planet levels so you need to mix in a bit of planet storyline quests (or heroic quests*). TO keep your motivation up for further characters and keep things fresh i therefore recommend you do not do all the planet stories on the first character (like i did :v)

*Heroic quests are group quests (easily soloable now that companions are powerful and can heal or tank for you). Every planet has a few of these quests (some planets have like 3, others as much as 8) and they are all repeatable once per week. Completing these quests give a good chunk of exp and fairly decent loot. Regardless of how you end up playing through the storyline i recommend doing these heroic quests a couple of times while you level, like at level 15ish, 30ish and 40ish at least.

That's a really good idea. I've done all possible quests on planets including heroics on my Agent up to now (just finished Balmorra and level 50 so...), but I'm going to stop now and start only doing class + heroics, just so I don't wear myself out for when I do my next Imp toon. Good thinking.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

May rewards and contests

The trip for whoever wins the speed run for the Eternal Championship is nice, but sadly I predict there will be hackers galore going after it. Still, a nice thing to shoot for for those 224 raid geared people with nothing else to do.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aphrodite posted:

The latter.

Plus, all the companions disappear, so it'd be kind of weird.

Thanks! That's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a breadcrumb.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've set the Ensign rank to be able to invite to That's No Goon, so go nuts. Do please set member notes on the people you invite with their SA account name or the name of the person sponsoring them. If anybody is having trouble getting characters into the guild, please post here and we'll sort it out.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

answered my own question

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 29, 2016

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
Are you guys mostly active on Jedi Covenant or on Harbinger as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Medullah posted:

May rewards and contests

The trip for whoever wins the speed run for the Eternal Championship is nice, but sadly I predict there will be hackers galore going after it. Still, a nice thing to shoot for for those 224 raid geared people with nothing else to do.

For those who couldnt bother to click. The other stuff requires you to enter for a chance.

WHO: All players who log in between April 27 – May 4
WHAT & WHEN: Exciting rewards and special events!

Log in and play between April 27 – May 4 to get your own M4-I6 Zakuulan Astromech Droid Mini-Pet!
Get Double XP, Legacy XP, PvP Warzone Commendations and Space PvP Requisition between May 3 – May 10 and again between May 26 – 30!
Don’t miss the Knights of the Fallen Empire 13-Chapter Marathon Story Stream on Saturday, May 14 beginning 7AM PDT with special guests and giveaways! https://www.twitch.tv/swtor

• Locked thread