Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Tsyni posted:

Do you guys think I can conquer a France that has half of Iberia, all of France, and parts of great Britain, PLUS Milan in northern Italy in 100 years?

I'm wondering if I can restore Rome in my Byzantium game. It feels like it's possible, but there is a lot of development to swallow. I have Anatolia and the Balkans plus Egypt, half of Poland/Lithuanian lands. Wien, half of Italy, north Africa, etc.

Probably not. But you might as well go for it. If nothing else it'll give you something else to do with your already successful Byzantium game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tsyni posted:

Do you guys think I can conquer a France that has half of Iberia, all of France, and parts of great Britain, PLUS Milan in northern Italy in 100 years?

I'm wondering if I can restore Rome in my Byzantium game. It feels like it's possible, but there is a lot of development to swallow. I have Anatolia and the Balkans plus Egypt, half of Poland/Lithuanian lands. Wien, half of Italy, north Africa, etc.

No. 100 years gives you time for, at the very most, I think 6 wars at 100 warscore. Factoring in the time to actually fight the wars, 4-5 is more likely. It's just not enough time to take everything given the length of the truces you'll face.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

No. 100 years gives you time for, at the very most, I think 6 wars at 100 warscore. Factoring in the time to actually fight the wars, 4-5 is more likely. It's just not enough time to take everything given the length of the truces you'll face.

Truce breaking is a thing, and very useful for stuff like this.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

cool and good posted:

My impression was the truce breaking was semi required for things like world conquest and certain achievements.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hobolicious posted:

Probably not. But you might as well go for it. If nothing else it'll give you something else to do with your already successful Byzantium game.

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks guys. I'll probably go for it and see if I can do it. The HRE is made up of 4-5 chunky countries that might take a slice and make it easier for me. Never thought I'd see super Augsburg and super Baden with 70k troops apiece.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

cool and good posted:

Fair enough, never done it myself. You'd need a shitload of admin points to handle that and the coring too, though.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah, I hear people say that all the time, and I usually do truce break once or twice late game, but the stability hit wrecks me when I'm already pushing admin points to the limit and possibly dealing with more rebels than the entire armies of the rest of the world.

As to that last point, in my recent Brandenburg game (in which I finally learned to play the royal marriage game and got my only PU in 600 hours: with Russia! Actually that enforce PU war required a truce break and fighting Russia + Ming. It was a very difficult war but everything was cake after that), I was overconfident at the end and went over 100% overextension. Holy poo poo the rebels. I didn't screenshot it but I had every rebel type spawn and I ended up with the "recently rebelled" modifier in nearly every province before I could actually get overextension down. I was getting multiple 75k stacks every month. They depleted my manpower from ~700k down to zero. Luckily I was making more money than I could possibly spend (14 merchants helps) so mercenaries could handle it, but it was still a huge pain.

This screenshot is after partially recovering from that and waging one final war against the Ottomans.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 27, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's going on with German East Africa there? Specifically, it's color.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fister Roboto posted:

Reduce it manually. I mean yeah that's gonna suck, that's 1500 admin points down the drain, but it might be worth it to get it under control. Alternatively, if you can still afford everything you need, what's the big deal?

I remember inflation having some very nasty events tied to it in EU3, but I guess that's not the case in this?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Korea :eyepop:

also Mutapa-in-exile.

edit: Taungu. and Spanish Greenland?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So with the league wars is it just over if a Diet convenes for the emperor and declares Catholic the official faith? In my game Austria is the only real Catholic power left but no one wanted to take them on, so I guess we're stuck with just a few electors and a Catholic Empire.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How does sailor production work? I'm starting a Muscovy campaign and I conquered Neva and a few other provinces (Neva is at 60% autonomy), but I'm not producing any sailors. My max sailor amount is 100. Shouldn't I be getting some?

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing on and off for 2-ish years by now and I've never really understood how to get my dynasty spread to other nations. Is this something that happens by chance, or does it tie into prestige/something other?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Elman posted:

How does sailor production work? I'm starting a Muscovy campaign and I conquered Neva and a few other provinces (Neva is at 60% autonomy), but I'm not producing any sailors. My max sailor amount is 100. Shouldn't I be getting some?

I had the same problem with Brandenburg. It eventually worked itself out, but I don't know how or why.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I believe there's an acknowledged bug, where if your maximum is less than a smallish number (400?), you don't accumulate any sailors at all.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think it's one of the fixes listed in some patch notes tough?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

THE BAR posted:

I remember inflation having some very nasty events tied to it in EU3, but I guess that's not the case in this?

When your inflation gets over 5 you are indeed eligible for nasty events.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

What's going on with German East Africa there? Specifically, it's color.

Honestly, no idea. Looks like all my non-European holdings (and German Colombia, the one colony I established after Prussia-->Germany) have a darker color.

Which reminds me, they made the colonies change name when you get a new tag, but the still don't change color? Shame on you, Paradox.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I'm going for the Prussian Discipline achievement, and I just want to say having Space Marines is beautiful :syoon:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So what's up with colonization not changing a province's religion or culture anymore? Sometimes it does it, but I have no clue what changes it. It's especially frustrating when I send a colonist to a 0 population island and somehow the colony ends up a different religion and culture despite the entire population being from the homeland.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TTBF posted:

So what's up with colonization not changing a province's religion or culture anymore? Sometimes it does it, but I have no clue what changes it. It's especially frustrating when I send a colonist to a 0 population island and somehow the colony ends up a different religion and culture despite the entire population being from the homeland.

It doesn't if it's in a trade company region

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TTBF posted:

The new world plus Siberia changes, the rest doesn't (possibly Australia too but I'm not entirely sure). Why? No idea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TTBF posted:

Allyn posted:

It doesn't if it's in a trade company region

It's this.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ah, that's kind of awkward if you're playing as a colonizer in Asia or Africa, since most of the places you can colonize at first are in trade zones.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Which reminds me, they made the colonies change name when you get a new tag, but the still don't change color? Shame on you, Paradox.

Monsters walk Sweden. :mad:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

TTBF posted:

Ah, that's kind of awkward if you're playing as a colonizer in Asia or Africa, since most of the places you can colonize at first are in trade zones.

That does suck for them, but in some sense it's closer to history. The differences between the way the new world was colonized in comparison to the old world is evident today. Most of the indigenous Americans died and left room for euros to fill the now empty space with their own population. Meanwhile in Africa there were plenty of indigenous Africans there already, so colonies had much less native Europeans.

In gameplay terms it only seems to gently caress with the player though. The colonizing AI nations always have excess states and never seem to use trade companies anymore, so they end up culture converting everything they grab in Africa anyways.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
What is the DLC that lets you offer provinces/terms to your allies to lure them into war? Is it wroth getting in general?

And ugh, figures I'd finally get the "force France into a PU" mission after a ruinous war with Spain that put me (england) out of any aggression for ages. Guess it didn't really matter as none of my allies wanted to join specifically because they didn't want that PU to happen, and France was allied with both Poland and Norway, but still. If I can't drag the whole contine t into a decade of red war for personal power, there's something wrong with the world!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TTBF posted:

Yes, this is part of what made Mare Nostrum the "gently caress non-Euros" patch

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hooray I'm Prussia! And also the Emperor!

And man does being the Emperor rock.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I dunno, I became Emperor as Prussia, and within 10 years was back down to my original TO provinces. Probably didn't help I lived near the AE limit as I conquered North Germany and Denmark, but it was fun while it lasted.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Odobenidae posted:

That does suck for them, but in some sense it's closer to history. The differences between the way the new world was colonized in comparison to the old world is evident today. Most of the indigenous Americans died and left room for euros to fill the now empty space with their own population. Meanwhile in Africa there were plenty of indigenous Africans there already, so colonies had much less native Europeans.

In gameplay terms it only seems to gently caress with the player though. The colonizing AI nations always have excess states and never seem to use trade companies anymore, so they end up culture converting everything they grab in Africa anyways.

Not changing culture makes sense.

Not changing religion? Not so much. Mostly this just, as stated, fucks over non-euros. Like I was giving a Kongo run a try, started colonizing and remembered "Oh yeah, even stuff on my own continent is going to obey these stupid new rules. Well, there goes a year+ to convert each colony..."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Given that it takes >1 year to colonize a province in the first place, that's really not so bad.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
New DD, with the changes to espionage and dip tech: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-28th-of-april-2016.923918/

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

We moved the claim fabrication idea from Influence to Espionage. And what did Influence get, well.. They get an idea which increases prestige and heir chance, because monarchies are cool..
:roflolmao:

No, no they are not.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Looks good to me, espionage group finally looks interesting, if a bit generic

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I like making the Tech Level required for Fabricate Claim moddable. Not because it's a good idea, but because it sounds like the devs went "This is a great idea. Someone has to agree with us."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moving the claim fabrication reduction thing from influence to espionage makes sense, it probably should have been there all along.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Guess it'll be less trivial to fabricate claims on everyone in sight now. Makes sense, it was just kind of busy work to make claims on all your neighbors. I'm not sure if there's any real penalty for getting caught building a spy network, though?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I think there's an opinion penalty and you get shut out for 3 months now, instead of 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hobolicious posted:

I dunno, I became Emperor as Prussia, and within 10 years was back down to my original TO provinces. Probably didn't help I lived near the AE limit as I conquered North Germany and Denmark, but it was fun while it lasted.

Well, as it is, no one is ever going to gain any Imperial power, since no matter who the emperor is, there will be too many heretics.

But I'm in a consolidating phase, teching back up, &c., so my AE will be dropping down. Then I'll go back to stomping bitches with my 115% discipline.

Sounds like I may want to hurry up and do it before 1.17 though.

• Locked thread